Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Petition for EA to fix the world exchange most of us cannot upload our world

I know petitions usually don't work but we really need them to fix the exchange so all of us can upload our world. If you read this just bump it to the top so we can get their attention. If you are having issues just respond here.

As you can tell when you go to the exchange you only see a few worlds because most cannot upload. I try every day.

Comments

• Options
    Sim_OutlawSim_Outlaw Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited January 2010
    Check it out I left EA a message.. :mrgreen:

The exchange I uploaded a blank map with a message.

http://www.thesims3.com/exchange/worlds

My page

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1908559
  • Options
    judithmgallowayjudithmgalloway Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2010
    I can't upload any world much above 10mb, so have a free *bump* from me. :)
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited January 2010
    People, if you really want to let EA know how you feel about things, post in the suggestions area of the forum! They don't pay one bit of attention to petitions, but they DO pay attention to the suggestions.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    SimGuruHydraSimGuruHydra Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi all,

For those who are having trouble uploading worlds to the Exchange - can you let us know how big the file size is? What errors are you seeing when trying to upload?
  • Options
    Sim_OutlawSim_Outlaw Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited January 2010
    Mine is as big as Sunset Valley at 100.5 MB. it gets about a forth of the way and it just times out. I get the red circle meaning upload failed.
  • Options
    TannerHildman9TannerHildman9 Posts: 91 New Member
    edited January 2010
    bump
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi all,

For those who are having trouble uploading worlds to the Exchange - can you let us know how big the file size is? What errors are you seeing when trying to upload?

Hi Hydra! :D

My world was only 25MB....but after trying for a over a week I had to give up trying to load it to the Exchange. It kept timing out about halfway through the download. I was getting the red circle-with-a-slash sign. I have a pretty fast cable internet connection but it seems like 10MB is about the limit before that "timeout" failure happens.
  • Options
    water_cat1water_cat1 Posts: 751 New Member
    edited January 2010
    i heard someone saying that the launcher times out after 100 seconds, so if you have slow internet you have a problem. my medium world was ~13 Mb. when i tried to upload it it came up with the same thing as sim_outlaw, and hovering over it says 'network error...'(at about 1/2 way)

• Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited January 2010
    21.77mb and upload fails after aproximately 50%-70% Error states simply: Upload Failed: - Network Error - Please Try again.

I get this same error on all my world uploads as they are all at least 18MB to over 60MB.

• Options
    ProfPlumbobProfPlumbob Posts: 355 New Member
    edited January 2010
    my world Coconut Island can't be uploaded either, it is 18.16mb. It stops at roughly around 80%.

so has the community come to the conclusion that anything over 10mb just doesn't work? I think I've seen a few worlds in the exchange that are over 10mb. Hmmm.

It's definitely something that has needed to be addressed since it's gone on for a long time, thanks for bringing notice.

BUT at the same time, don't forget that we are still in BETA stage, and technically the worlds exchange is also apart of the beta. They might be doing all sorts of testing, as I have seen worlds get deleted and flushed out of the exchange.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    can someone check that the launcher may be timing out. i have slow-ish internet, so my upload only gets to about 5Mb, yet someone with faster internet my be able to get more 10Mb. It may also explain why some of you have larger worlds yet your upload gets further percentagewise.
  • Options
    Moonseeker23Moonseeker23 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I heard about this happening a lot to people. So I'll give this post a bump for you guys ;)
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited January 2010
    Mine gave up part way - it is 36Mb
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,698 Member
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    simmie11simmie11 Posts: 25
    edited January 2010
    i cant upload files larger than 1MB, tryed at the first day and still a half year later almost, i cant upload any file larger than 1Mb than i gain a network error.
    Upload normal more thing's even of 2Gb take a big amount of time, but i cant upload a small house to the exchange from 1.2MB :evil:

Already contacted EA support by mail but never gained any respond :cry:

Hope they can fix now this issue, dont have a account for nothing want to share my stuff ^^
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our awareness. One more favor - can you provide some screenshots of the error you're seeing on your Launcher (timed out/upload failed/etc).

This would really help us out when looking into this. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    MarkSP2MarkSP2 Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2010
    I thought I did something wrong with uploading, but now I see that it is another bug. Can't wait for the patch anymore! :(
    jvGMAPf.png
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited January 2010
    I am getting a different error now. A new EADM tried to install, but although I allowed it to do what it wanted, it decided it could not install itself. Now I can't upload at all - it tells me I am not logged in.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited January 2010
    MarkSP2 wrote:
    I thought I did something wrong with uploading, but now I see that it is another bug. Can't wait for the patch anymore! :(

I don't think the time-out is a bug at all, but merely an over-sight on the part of the web development team. They fixed up the World Exchange and apparently failed to realize that it's going to take longer than 100 seconds to upload a world. :roll:

On the other hand, maybe it's intentional. After all, if people can't upload their mega-sized files, EA doesn't have to worry about supporting the extra bandwidth. :lol:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    kipperfan01kipperfan01 Posts: 152 Member
    edited January 2010
    I had no issues installing a 8.13 mb test world but my 20.8 one would not go through, on the plus side I guess it gives me more opportunity to play test ...ha
  • Options
    garbuckle3000garbuckle3000 Posts: 1,840 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Yes, it's a timeout issue. You can tell by just running a stopwatch, and you will see it fail at 100 seconds (1 minute, 40). This isn't CAW specific, but launcher specific. Anything you try to upload uses the same network timeout.

You can find out the size of a lot you can upload in 100 seconds by running the test at speedtest.net, take the resulting UPLOAD speed, and times it by 12.5
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    here is a picture. the first is i just started and the second is after it stops. it does get to about halfway, but i didnt get a picture of that.

worlduploading.jpg

used print screen, then pasted and edited in paint.net(so i could put it as one image)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    water_cat1 wrote:
    here is a picture. the first is i just started and the second is after it stops. it does get to about halfway, but i didnt get a picture of that.

worlduploading.jpg

used print screen, then pasted and edited in paint.net(so i could put it as one image)

Thank you very much for providing a screenshot. This will be very helpful as we look into the issue.
  • Options
    ZorbeaonZorbeaon Posts: 76
    edited February 2010
    You guys are lucky. Mine doesn't even get THAT far!
  • Options
    ZorbeaonZorbeaon Posts: 76
    edited February 2010
    Yes, it's a timeout issue. You can tell by just running a stopwatch, and you will see it fail at 100 seconds (1 minute, 40). This isn't CAW specific, but launcher specific. Anything you try to upload uses the same network timeout.

You can find out the size of a lot you can upload in 100 seconds by running the test at speedtest.net, take the resulting UPLOAD speed, and times it by 12.5

What's the point of the timeout anyway?