Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Whittaker Saga - 1930: Nash tries to make ends meet (4/27)

12345679...Next

Comments

• Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited March 10
    @daravi As always with new things not everyone like them. Anna would love to try flying, but hasn't gotten the opportunity yet. So she'll sail instead. :)

John gets out of the house and Emily takes control

Back in the US, John has aged up to a young adult, and as soon as he possibly could enrolled in university and left home for Britechester. Living in the same dorm as his father once did, he arrives to find it quite different than the stories his father told. Gone are most the fireplaces and time is starting to show, with some cracks in the wall and carpets stained and worn from years of students walking in and out of the rooms. The common areas has been updated, with more durable wooden floors, and a complete refurbishment of the bathroom, but the rooms are worn and more than a bit dated. None of that matters to John, however, who is just happy to be somewhere that is not at home and who immediately throws himself into his studies.
    03-09-24_10-39-12%C2%A0PM.png
    03-10-24_7-39-52%C2%A0AM.png

Emily misses her eldest boy terribly, but try to focus on the four children still at home. But something is different. Alone without constantly adapting after Frank's whims, and after her victory over Caroline, she feels stronger, more confident. As her eldest moves out, and all her children are at school all day, she takes her previous charity work to the next level, and joins a charity organisation full time in a paid position. No longer having a mother waiting at home for them, the kids learn to take care of themselves after school, playing with friends or each other while waiting for their mother to come home. She does miss them, but make up for it by helping them with homework and tucking them in at night. For the first time in a very long time, she feels pride in herself, her children and her home. The kids have more friends over, dinners are more relaxing and the air easier to breathe.
    03-10-24_8-58-28%C2%A0AM.png
    03-10-24_9-10-19%C2%A0AM.png
    03-10-24_9-20-54%C2%A0AM-2.png

But then the day comes, when Frank is set to return home. The trial is done, the hefty fine paid and the time in jail over. Emily is nervous. She cannot go back to how things were. Sitting down, she makes sure she looks her absolute best, and gets the children ready to greet their father. Beatrice runs to hug him, while the boys are more hesitant in their greeting, letting their father kiss their cheek and then looking to their mother for permission to go play. Nodding, Emily calmly greets her husband, bringing him into the house for a very serious conversation. It is not easy, and it's not smooth. Frank is not used to being contradicted, but Emily will not be silenced this time. There will be no more affairs, no more alcohol, and no more criminal activity out of her house. Frank tries to argue, but also know when he is out of cards. If he wants to have any chance to get his job back, to get his standing in society back, he needs his very popular wife, and more importantly, her very influential father on his side. There is little to do but agree.
    03-10-24_9-59-28%C2%A0AM-2.png
    03-10-24_10-27-27%C2%A0AM.png
    03-10-24_10-29-13%C2%A0AM.png
    03-10-24_10-36-51%C2%A0AM.png

All this drama in his family has made Joseph gray haired. He's worried about his son, about his grand children, and about his daughter-in-law. He gathers his family for his birthday and they celebrate him. Dolly, who is also getting on in years, has made a grand meal and baked a cake, and as always Joseph enjoy having them around. But secretly, Abigail worries about him, wishing their children could cause him less concern. Perhaps now that Frank is back home, and John out of the house, he can begin to worry less. Now if only Anna would return from her foolish explorations and settle down and start a family, then maybe there could be some peace in the family for once.
    03-09-24_6-27-20%C2%A0PM.png
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    jazzyrocksoul88jazzyrocksoul88 Posts: 72 Member
    I really enjoy this series and am now all caught up! So glad Emily was able to find some semblance of normalcy for the time being!
    Be sure to check out my rendition of a Spirit Animal Legacy/Traditional Legacy Challenge Combo!
    33%20Precious%20Saraste%20and%20Ame%20Pic_zpszjgpsupi.png

The Saraste Tales Legacy Intro
    Happy Simming!
  • Options
    Thank you @jazzyrocksoul88! I am so glad you're enjoying the story. Next chapter should e coming any day :)
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    I hope Emily will be able to stand up to Frank in the long run!

So this will probably be my last comment before forum migration... I think I might take some forum vacation anyway (I need some distance to the game after the last weeks), but I'm looking forward to catch up on the future of the Whittakers :smile:
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    Wow, I don't think I could stay away for so long! I will keep posting and then save the posts in order to migrate them manually once the new forum opens. Enjoy your break! :)
  • Options
    Anna in Japan

While all this drama is going on in Willow Creek, Anna has an easier time over in Japan. As mail travels even more slowly than it did to Selvadorada, Anna has very little word about what happens back home, but in return she has plenty of time to enjoy her surroundings. She and Omisco loves taking long hikes to the sights so Anna can take photos for the articles she's going to write when she returns. They hike through the bamboo forest, to the temple, the burial grounds, the mountain shrine... Anna already has a title lined up for her article: "The shrines of Mt Komorebi". She's visited the one in town, where she's been told most people marry, the cave shrine (that was her favourite so far), and the historical one deep in the snowy mountains. She is a bit confused as to the names, as the cave shrine looks far older than the historic shrine, but none of that matter to her when she suddenly, on a beautiful evening as she walks in the sunset, encounters the forest spirits she's heard the locals talk about.
    03-08-24_6-39-03%C2%A0PM.png
    03-08-24_6-44-12%C2%A0PM.png
    03-08-24_6-36-23%C2%A0PM.png
    03-08-24_6-46-51%C2%A0PM.png
    03-09-24_9-55-30%C2%A0AM-2.png
    03-09-24_9-57-42%C2%A0AM.png
    03-09-24_10-01-22%C2%A0AM.png
    03-09-24_10-03-54%C2%A0AM.png

Anna's main goal with travelling to Mt Komorebi, however, was to climb Mt Komorebi itself. That is something she knows will take effort and time. She is slowly progressing, however, and is attempting higher and higher walls. The first time she scaled one of the larger walls of the lower parts of the mountain she felt as if she'd just conquered the world, but she was also sore in just about every muscle in her body and well aware that it is not yet time to try the actual mountain. As she writes to her sister:

Dearest Alice,

The mountain still eludes me, though I am getting better. Today I scaled what the locals call the 'medium' wall. I promise you it did not feel medium at all when I was finished. There are muscles in my body that aches that I never even knew I had! Yet the feeling of scaling it, the victorious joy as I could look out over town and see all of it stretch out before me... oh how Maurice would have loved to paint that sight! I can barely imagine what it will feel like when it's the actual summit I've reached.

After an arduous climb it is a fantastic feeling to visit the local bathhouse. I've learnt they call it an Onsen. You undress and submerge yourself into the most glorious natural hot spring, and all those aching muscles get to rest for a moment. It's hot, really hot, but fantastic! It is certainly something I will miss once I return back home. I visit almost daily, and so does the locals. Many bathe here instead of in their homes which do not all contain full bathrooms, but then when this is here, who would need it?

The Japanese are a friendly people. Hard to speak to, as I am a long way from mastering their language, but willing to try either way. I have visited my neighbors, farmers most of them. I find them inviting and willing to put up with all my questions, although to be fair their animals are so sweet and lovely that I spend as much time petting them as I do trying to learn the local tongue. When they learnt that it is my 35th birthday tomorrow, they made sure to invite me out to local lounge. I look forward to it, as I have yet to visit the place. He tells me it's 'quite modern, almost like in Tokyo' which I've come to understand here means a mix of traditional Japanese and western influences. Apparently stained glass is supposedly very popular, but I do not know if that is something they have here. It will be interesting to see now that I have a better understanding of their traditional architecture.

I hope you are doing well and cannot wait to hear from you.
    Your loving sister,
    Anna

03-07-24_8-50-08%C2%A0PM.png
    03-07-24_9-01-47%C2%A0PM.png
    03-09-24_7-38-07%C2%A0AM.png
    03-09-24_8-17-04%C2%A0AM.png
    03-08-24_6-13-57%C2%A0PM.png
    03-09-24_9-26-11%C2%A0AM.png
    03-09-24_9-46-38%C2%A0AM.png
  • Options
    Josephine and life as a mother of three

In the Sinclair household, Josephine is busy as only a mother of twin infants can be. Grace and Hazel are luckily both fairly easy to deal with, Grace being calm and Hazel sunny in their disposition, but twins are twins, and between feeding them, changing them and taking care of them when they cry, there is very little time left for life outside the house. Still, Josephine loves her girls and loves the time she spends with them.
    03-10-24_5-19-01%C2%A0PM.png
    03-10-24_5-30-59%C2%A0PM.png

Josephine's busy schedule is of course affecting Thomas, who as a toddler also needs his mother. She does her best to spread her affection and time but it is not always easy. Thomas is learning to play on his own more than before, but does feel jealousy towards his sisters. So much better then at weekends when he can convince his daddy to play with him. And dinner time is also good, then he has both mummy and daddy for himself now that he can eat on his own as the twins are usually asleep at that time.
    03-10-24_6-01-36%C2%A0PM.png
    03-10-24_5-54-34%C2%A0PM.png
    03-10-24_6-41-18%C2%A0PM.png

But there is of course perks with having siblings too. Sometimes, the twins can be played with, and they always laugh when you blow raspberries on their stomachs. They also love it when you sing to them. Thomas likes to sing!
    03-16-24_8-33-27%C2%A0AM.png

And sometimes, when the babies are sleeping, Thomas can persuade mummy to play with him too. Those are the best times. And when she reads to him when he goes to sleep, even if daddy does that more often these days.
    03-17-24_7-28-38%C2%A0AM.png
    03-17-24_6-45-43%C2%A0AM.png

For Josephine it is a bit of a struggle to maintain the house to the standard she wants, but she finds time for the never-ending pile of laundry when the children all sleep. Time for herself? She barely makes it to the bathroom, and showering is done when everyone else has gone to sleep, which means she's the first to rise in the morning and the last to go to bed at night. Still, as hard as it is, Josephine still loves every minute she has with her babies and will happily live with a little less sleep at times. Especially when she can pride herself with her beautiful family and her hard working husband who just received his first promotion! It might not always be easy, but as Josephine and Nash are both about to turn, Josephine does think they have the perfect life.
    03-10-24_6-00-25%C2%A0PM.png
    AVvXsEj97MexIabS0fPvInrjG1r5_cPLuoJP5uCZCQxQDvvUIzyEFdjmNGBXPYjaPsgAUFI-rNFv0MeSbVQ0daW0zBY8f9CJQ4ogcAQkJyxrydHVhU_4-x4h_elACnXmJtV0e-QofmAjr5NM5sCfD2XAwo9impJbmyYG40WA-ERBkRyJAWdih6u8NUVyMzbD3UXI=w405-h640
  • Options
    edited March 24
    Anna conquers a mountain

In Mt Komorebi, summer has arrived, and while the mountain is as cold and snow-covered as ever, the countryside where Anna lives is getting warmer. For Anna this is a welcome change, as she enjoys the opportunities the warm weather offers. Right on her doorstep, she and Omisco has found a little beach, where she can swim in the lake on particularly hot days (or on cold days just because she likes it). The nearby waterfalls is a beautiful backdrop when you're swimming around.
    03-22-24_5-39-13%C2%A0PM.png
    03-22-24_5-39-14%C2%A0PM.png

By now, Anna has gotten to know most of her neighbors and started to master, some, basic Japanese. Enough to be understood, and to understand, the people around her. She spends a lot of her time in the evening at the Onsen, enjoying the hot springs after days of hard climbing, and has found that it's a great way to get to know the locals better.
    03-22-24_5-43-31%C2%A0PM.png
    03-22-24_6-30-02%C2%A0PM.png

And then, finally, the moment has arrived. Through years of hard work, of lessons and climbing practise, she is ready to tackle the mountain itself. She cannot wait! The night before, she and her guide (as the local law stipulates that you have to have a local guide with you up the mountain) meet outside the Onsen to get ready for the climb. Anna has done everything she can to prepare. She's bought brand new climbing gear, since her old one was getting worn, and brought her old tent from Selvadorada and sturdy sleeping bags so that they won't be cold. And so the climb begins.
    03-23-24_8-59-16%C2%A0AM.png
    03-23-24_8-59-04%C2%A0AM.png

They spend their first night on one of the leges about half way up, and even though there is a long way to go, Anna cannot believe how high up she is. It's exhilarating, and intoxicating, to see the view from up here. I am only half-way and yet I already feel like I am at the top of the world!" she writes in her journal.
    03-23-24_8-59-30%C2%A0AM.png
    03-23-24_9-11-20%C2%A0AM.png
    03-23-24_9-14-38%C2%A0AM.png

The next morning, they push on, and now it's time for the biggest wall of all. Just looking up at it, Anna is wondering if she was not hasty, if she did not need more practise first, but then she pushes that thought out of her head and starts to climb. One grip at the time, carefully scaling the wall, she makes it closer and closer to the top.
    03-09-24_7-39-40%C2%A0AM.png
    03-23-24_9-31-46%C2%A0AM.png
    03-23-24_9-30-29%C2%A0AM.png

And just like that, she's there. It's almost a bit of an anti-climax. So much work, so many months of preparations, and then it's just over. Breathless, Anna tries to wrap her head around the fact that's made it, but it's not until she steps up on the plateau, looking out over nothing but clouds that it finally hits her. She's here! She made it! She's one of few people who has ever been this high, and most likely the only woman.
    03-24-24_6-30-45%C2%A0AM.png

Taking out her camera, she takes a photo of her guide, who in spite of their massive achievement looks as grim as always:
    03-24-24_6-18-37%C2%A0AM.png

Before they set up their camp for the night, Anna takes the time to explore a cave nearby, while Takagi waits outside.
    03-24-24_6-36-59%C2%A0AM.png

As night settles, they prepare their camp-site, and then Anna takes out her camera again, taking the most amazing photographs.
    03-24-24_6-43-33%C2%A0AM.png
    03-24-24_6-44-11%C2%A0AM.png
    03-24-24_6-55-42%C2%A0AM.png
    03-24-24_6-56-02%C2%A0AM.png

Once back down, and after she's returned to pick up Omisco from the neighbors and had a well deserved rest, she and Takagi visit the lounge for a celebration and farewell feast for Anna. After two long years, it's time to return home. To be honest, Anna longs for it. Climbing is fun, the adventure was amazing as was the feeling of being at the top of the world, but Anna misses her family, her friends and most of all her sister. She pens her a quick telegram before leaving. I made it! Now it's time to return. When you receive this I am already on my way. Expect me within a few weeks. Love, Anna.
    03-23-24_8-16-12%C2%A0AM.png
    03-24-24_7-05-26%C2%A0AM.png
  • Options
    Anna returns to the US and the Alice is in her first "talkie"

Alice is thrilled to receive Anna's telegram, but not nearly as thrilled as when she finally sees her sister again. The two reunite in great happiness as Anna gets settled for her stay in the extra bedroom. "See, I told you it would come in handy!" Anna beams at Cora, who just laughs. She too is happy to see Anna again. It's nice to have someone you can be completely honest with.
    03-26-24_6-59-11%C2%A0AM-2.png
    03-26-24_7-02-16%C2%A0AM.png

They stay in that night, sitting up and talking until late in the evening, until Anna cannot stay awake any longer. After all, it has been a long trip home, with weeks on the sea. It's nice to sleep in a proper bed again.
    03-26-24_7-20-19%C2%A0AM.png

The next day, Alice and Cora take Anna all over downtown. They visit the museum, where Cora works on her handiness for her next part, and Alice and Cora show off their acting skills on the performer stage even if Anna is the only one watching. Then they head shopping, having lunch outside on the streets and before heading home, Alice takes Anna to see their father's plaque on Starlight boulevard.
    03-26-24_9-46-35%C2%A0AM.png
    03-26-24_9-50-08%C2%A0AM.png
    03-26-24_3-40-03%C2%A0PM.png
    03-26-24_3-56-51%C2%A0PM.png

As they return they take with a swim in the pool, and some time to relax as they dry off before heading back to the apartment. Alice has, of course, arranged for a party in Anna's honor now that she is back.
    03-26-24_4-20-46%C2%A0PM.png
    03-26-24_4-23-15%C2%A0PM.png
    03-28-24_5-42-29%C2%A0AM.png
    03-28-24_5-46-34%C2%A0AM.png

After just a few days, it's time for Anna to move on towards Willow Creek, to visit her parents and attend Abigail's big birthday celebration. Anna expect to join her before that day, but first there is something she has to do. She has namely gotten a part in her first talkie! To be honest, she is quite nervous. Ever since the movie The Jazz Singer was released in 1927, sound movies is all everyone can talk about in Del Sol Valley. Silent films are still made, but everyone in the business knows it's the new format that will win the crowds. Since the Jazz Singer features song and dance, so will the movie Alice is in, and she has trained hard at both dancing and singing before she hits the studio. As it is a contemporary piece, she does not need the endlessly blond wigs, but gets to perform as herself, although in the right costume. She knocks it out of the ball park! The dancing is just perfect, her acting is the best it has ever been. She is the master of this new format, and she hopes the audience will see it too. As she too gets ready for head to Willow Creek, she feels pleased she has given the performance of a life time.
    03-28-24_3-32-12%C2%A0PM.png
    03-28-24_3-32-32%C2%A0PM.png
    03-28-24_3-33-07%C2%A0PM.png
    03-28-24_3-34-03%C2%A0PM.png
  • Options
    Yay! It's so nice to see Anna and Alice thriving! <3
    Be sure to check out my rendition of a Spirit Animal Legacy/Traditional Legacy Challenge Combo!

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    @jazzyrocksoul88 Thank you! Right now things are going quite well for quite a lot of them. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    Anna returns home to Willow Creek

As Anna returns to her childhood home, the first time in many years, she finds it just as it was - and quite different. At home, she is greeted by her happy parents and younger brother William, and is soon caught up with all the latest gossip of the family, some of which she knew (such as Frank's arrest, conviction and return home) and some things that had not yet reached her in Japan before she left. Frank's eldest, John, has returned from university a doctor and married one of the Rowley girls. Melanie has left for college. There had been more birthdays than Anna thinks she can keep track of as her mother rattles them all of. Frank's Beatrice and Ida's Madison are both about to age up to a young women soon and might go off to college, as will William and Edward who also have their birthdays just around the corner, and Harold has turned 15 and the twins (who were not even born when Anna left) are apparently adorable toddlers. As her mother finish rattling of everything Anna feels more confused than enlightened, but figures she'll sort everything out eventually. (You'll get an updated family tree at the end of this post)
    03-29-24_8-19-50%C2%A0AM.png
    03-29-24_8-18-22%C2%A0AM-2.png
    AVvXsEiEKQyMrmwJ0TS_zZ7XkZuymhLsB_sW22cJ4U8P-s5BpR9R5DqDSCpM77up1lGQlz6DM3pGhDZQC9qUUpcJHh3T9vhcbU-8hLhe51Quu1qZs_eBJBMXjAyMGQbbPn5WS7JAC7RIv4_8myM2Rko4tv892IU9W1WtzXIdQJ3hzwt1KbRd-Ae5pJOGJ-2kt_WG=w640-h541
    03-25-24_7-50-51%C2%A0AM.png

She starts figuring things out already the next day, when Josephine hosts another birthday party, this time for Thomas, her eldest, who is about to come to the age where he is starting school! It's another one of Josephine's children, that Anna has never met, but he takes an instant liking to his aunt and treats her to a song right before it's time to blow out the candles.
    03-28-24_7-28-06%C2%A0AM.png
    03-28-24_7-28-35%C2%A0AM.png

Josephine is so proud of her young boy, and her home, and she is happy to show it off to the sister who rather travels the world than settles down like she ought to. But it is when the guests leaves that she takes the time to be alone with her son, gifting him the one thing she got such joy from as a girl. A violin.
    03-28-24_7-45-29%C2%A0AM-2.png

The next day, Anna takes the opportunity to visit friends she has not seen in too long, Elizabeth and George. Last time she was at their home they lived in an apartment with their twin toddlers. Now the girls are children, they have moved to a house in Willow Creek and have two more children, a little toddler and an infant. All four of them girls. It's a happy reunion of the friends, and the girls seem to take to their mother's friend right away. Anna is starting to realise that for whatever reason, children just seem to like her. "It's a shame you have none of your own." Elizabeth tells her. "You'd be an excellent mother." Anna shakes her head. "You can't climb mountains as a mother." Of course if Maurice had lived... but she does not say that.
    03-29-24_7-24-26%C2%A0AM.png
    03-29-24_8-31-34%C2%A0AM.png
    03-29-24_8-36-16%C2%A0AM.png
    03-29-24_8-37-48%C2%A0AM.png

Alice arrives later that same evening, and as always the sisters are happy to see each other, even if it was only a few days ago last time. Alice talks about her role in the movie, about the difference of making a movie with sound and song, and hopes they will go to see it when it comes out. William seem more impressed than their parents, and Abigail most want to know if none of those handsome men that Alice has been seen with in the papers are serious, potential husbands. "They're just friends, mum." Alice says to Abigail's great disappointment.
    03-30-24_6-03-47%C2%A0AM.png
    03-30-24_6-08-10%C2%A0AM.png

The sisters do not need to listen to their mother's worry about them being unmarried for long, however, as Abigail and Dolly are quite busy the following day preparing for the big party. They rush around the house cleaning and cooking. "Mum, when did you get glasses?" Alice suddenly asks. "Oh, just a little while back. Do you like them." Alice lies and says they're very nice. It rattles her a bit, to see her parents look so old. But old or not, there is nothing wrong with Abigail's energy, and as the party starts the rooms are filled with family members that Alice has not seen for years. It's a good night, with talking and laughing and fantastic food, but as the night wanes and people leave, Abigail and Joseph is a bit glad to be by themselves. Retiring to their bed chamber they take a moment to be grateful for the life they have made for themselves and the family they've raised together.
    03-30-24_7-10-54%C2%A0AM.png
    03-30-24_7-13-43%C2%A0AM.png
    03-30-24_7-17-44%C2%A0AM.png
    03-30-24_7-24-03%C2%A0AM.png

The updated family tree:
    AVvXsEj2ixnRAITqA7-mxVS7gHR_BHyyVhvNJpj4yw8AnX2lyPZ35X3Azw8SzXg4_A7TX5VeSwrqUqXZil1z7XDQIznlBUfiu1lF-3jPOaJCazluMnIINLZez4v7W9evfnp4qMMjVNxqJ4YdzSOYI6WWHKzY69rjxpYILoRlI4ACAZqDjCaIVHBKoVrvAf1DRckf=s16000
  • Options
    Wow, neat! Abigail's family has come a long way!

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    @jazzyrocksoul88 Yes! We've gotten to the point where they cannot invite everyone at once to their birthday parties. So far, there have been people living far away that naturally would not be able to make it, but it's getting harder and harder to throw family gatherings because some people will have to be left out. But at the same time it's sort of fun that the family has grown so much.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    Probably you know or do it already,
    but you could create clubs for the different family branches, members (preferably from the active houshold) could start a group meeting at the party. I did this on winters eve holiday before we had family gatherings ingame and came on 17 or 18 guests at all with 3 groups. Normally there are 20 sims allowed on the map, but you can increase that number with mccc and I don't know how it's interfered with the gathering, I didn't repeat that since then. But I guess it's a receipt for pure chaos and desperation. :)
    And I do agree with your signature!
  • Options
    edited April 1
    @Daravi Thank you for the tip, and yes I have used clubs for especially holiday celebrations before, they're so practical. I use MCCC to increase the numer of sims allowed in the club as well as on the lot. I do find however that the game becomes extremely laggy when too many are on the same lot, so I try to work around it instead, because yes, everyone is there, but basically the game becomes unplayable, at least on my laptop. So for that reason, I try to keep it within the game limits or just briefly above that.
  • Options
    edited April 6
    William and Edward age up, Joseph starts worrying about death and Anna has an awkward encounter

On Anna's last day at home in Willow Creek, it's time for yet another party. This time of year so many people have birthdays it seems to Anna that all they do is go from one party to the next. But this time, it's her baby brother's party - and Edward's of course, but to be fair Anna has not been around enough to actually get to know all her nieces and nephews so she cares less about him. The two boys have, however, their entire life been inseparable, born on the same day as they are. Now it's time for real life to begin. College, moving out, getting a job, finding someone to marry... (partying, although they do not share that idea with their parents).

The party, is as every party held in the Whittaker house, a resounding success. The family crowds in, eats, talks, kids play (some sneak up to the attic to play with the stored toys they have up there) and then it's time for cake, wishes and the blowing out of candle's. William, born a few hours earler than Edward, blows his out first, and then it's Edward's time. William gets the trait romantic, and Edward party animals - meaning two boys longing to party are going off to college. Anna congratulate them both, but is happy when the party is over, and look forward to going home to San Myshuno the next morning.
    04-02-24_7-03-56%C2%A0AM.png
    04-02-24_7-04-16%C2%A0AM.png
    04-02-24_7-06-17%C2%A0AM.png
    04-02-24_7-08-13%C2%A0AM.png

For Joseph and Abigail it is a new experience to have the house to themselves. For the first time in their life together, there are no children, or teenagers, in the house. Just the two of them. Well, and Dolly of course, although she too is getting on in years, and no longer perform her duties as quickly as she once did. On this, however, Joseph and Abigail are in complete agreeance. Dolly will stay on as long as she wants, as this is her home too, and if she's too old to perform her duties, then so be it.

Something else is starting to worry Joseph, however, and that is what will happen after he dies, for in Louisiana, spouses do not inherit each other, instead the children do. With community property (that they own together), the children will simply have to wait to gain access to their inheritance until the remaining spouse also dies, but with private property - that is all property someone owned prior to marriage - will be divided at once. For Joseph and Abigail, this means the house and about §100 000. Abigail would not be poor by any means, but she would have to move unless their children decide to wait to take out their inheritance. Joseph wants to trust that his children would, but after having a son sentenced for bootlegging and tax evasion, he must admit that he does not entirely do so. There is also the fact that Frank and Ida are not technically Abigail's children, even if she did raise them. Besides, Nathaniel and Nash are definitely not Abigail's children, and Joseph knows his girls enough to know that they would not be the ones making the decisions, but let their husbands do the choosing for them. There is only one solution to this. Joseph needs to write a will! After speaking to those who know more than him about legal matters at the club, he sits down in his office to write.
    04-06-24_7-05-56%C2%A0AM.png
    04-06-24_7-14-43%C2%A0AM.png
    03-30-24_6-27-48%C2%A0AM.png

Back in San Myshuno, Anna takes pleasure in being less crowded. Now she and Omisco can go back to the routine they had before. A quick walk in the morning, then work, then a longer time spent outside in the Myshuno meadows, jogging, eating, roller skating or just enjoying nature. Her walls are now filled with her own pictures again, from the jungle and the mountain, but perhaps the wall space is a bit too limited in the small apartment. Is it too much? Anna just knows she loves her pictures.
    04-06-24_9-07-20%C2%A0AM-2.png
    04-06-24_9-07-04%C2%A0AM.png

On arriving, she considered - briefly - knocking on Lamotte's door, but she quickly decides against it. To be fair, she does not know if he still lives there, and she did leave without a proper goodbye. Best to just leave it, she decides. He has probably moved. He must have. It's been years. He's probably married with kids living in the countryside somewhere.
    04-06-24_9-06-26%C2%A0AM.png

But as she and Omisco take their trip to San Myshuno meadows, who does she run into if not Robert Lamotte! It's a rather awkward encounter at first, both of them a bit unsure of what to say to the other. But soon the two old friends are talking away as if they met just yesterday. It helps that Lamotte, unlike most of her family, seems genuinely interested in her adventures and her mountain climbing stories.
    04-01-24_7-41-55%C2%A0AM.png
    04-01-24_7-43-51%C2%A0AM.png
    04-01-24_7-43-59%C2%A0AM.png

The next day there is a new festival in town, that the two friends decide to visit. It turns out, funnily enough, to be a Japanese festival. Anna feels almost right at home. The food taste - different - more bland, than what she had in Japan, but close enough. The Sakura tea is something she never tried in Japan, but she find it stimulating. A bit too stimulating, as she finds herself flirting in ways that is not typical of her. She heads home before the tea gets to her head and makes her do something she regrets. Lamotte is a great friend. She does not want to spoil the friendship by doing something rash that she'd regret later.
    04-01-24_7-57-28%C2%A0AM.png
    04-01-24_7-57-11%C2%A0AM.png
    04-01-24_8-00-47%C2%A0AM.png
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Josephine and Alice think 1929 is a great year

As 1928 turns to 1929, Josephine is in heaven. Her son is doing well in school and has friends in his cousins which he sees a lot, her daughters are adorable and cute. Yes, perhaps Nash is a bit lazy and leaves his clothes all around the house (as does Thomas who takes after his father), but Josephine does not mind cleaning up after him. It's her job as a wife after all. And Nash is what many other men is not - a devoted and present father who enjoys playing with his children more than he does working and Josephine loves him for it.
    04-10-24_7-10-42%C2%A0AM.png
    03-31-24_9-17-13%C2%A0AM.png
    03-31-24_9-19-21%C2%A0AM.png
    04-12-24_6-09-02%C2%A0AM.png

And life is only getting better, as Josephine finds herself pregnant again.
    AVvXsEjJEXEdwrxkSSmLiam7vqu-zmcaCC9STCw9zlmdlcc9JxNrii8eCUMfqtU9QvnBa00TNXJrlvbU1TEQZns2R5vBvcWJrTtjCrp3IGalgr42I-d-Z9AtjUFxMzwS5cnTCqBJ6TrzOCbOVWB5iao7IkM86fGtYeKDvDUM_fVPy2KxYfRSvDhyCR_gfvGhXStc=w448-h640

She loves having the family over and the children love their grandma and aunt Ida who are there often, and when thanksgiving rolls around, Josephine begs to host it. As they are getting on in years, and William cannot attend as he is in Britechester, Joseph and Abigail agrees. Josephine spends all day preparing, and the family gathering is a resounding success. Everyone is having fun, playing, talking, eating, and Josephine has never been happier.
    04-10-24_7-09-41%C2%A0AM.png
    04-10-24_7-02-01%C2%A0AM.png
    04-10-24_7-01-43%C2%A0AM.png

But as the party wanes, and people go home, Josephine starts feeling the fatigue. Highly pregnant, on her feet all day, she first think it's just tiredness, but when rashes start appearing all over her body she realises it's something more. The very next day she rushes to the doctor, terrified that this illness might hurt her child or cause another miscarriage. She does not want to lose her baby. But her doctor tells her that this is nothing to worry about, that there is this new drug called penicillin and if she just takes it she'll be fine. Josephine is a bit sceptical at first, but follows doctors orders and takes this new drug. It works like a charm. Her rashes are gone almost instantly. Remembering only far too well her brush with the Spanish flu a few years earlier, Josephine is amazed. Obviously, penicillin wouldn't have worked on the flu, but Josephine doesn't know that. All she knows it that this wonder drug treated her almost instantly. What a fantastic new world 1929 is!
    04-10-24_7-27-41%C2%A0AM.png
    04-10-24_7-27-42%C2%A0AM-2.png
    04-10-24_7-27-43%C2%A0AM.png

Over in Del Sol Valley, Alice has similar thoughts. She lives in a beautiful apartment, with the woman she loves, and her acting career is going better than ever. Evenings consists of parties in her home, parties at the Biltmore in town, and fans asking her autograph. She doesn't even mind the paparazzi!
    04-12-24_9-17-09%C2%A0PM.png
    04-13-24_6-26-40%C2%A0AM.png

But she has to admit that she is mostly excited for this new award ceremony they have just announced. The starlight accolades! And she is nominated for best actress for her last role!!! Her first talkie was a smashing hit, her singing is praised and her dancing and acting as well. Just being nominated is big enough, a recognition that her moving here was the right thing to do. That she was born to do what she is doing. She dresses up to the teeth, and makes sure she poses for the paparazzi before entering the gala. Once there, she watches and claps as her friends receive awards, and then, at the end of the night, finally it's time for best actress to be announced... and she gets it! She wins the desired trophy, she was the best actress of 1928 and her peers know it, as will the world (and her parents) when this hits the papers!
    04-13-24_6-13-26%C2%A0AM.png
    04-13-24_6-13-59%C2%A0AM.png
    04-13-24_6-20-17%C2%A0AM.png
    04-13-24_6-20-36%C2%A0AM.png

The very next evening she's back again, this time for a new honor, one her father had before her. To get her very own plaque on the starlight boulevard! And Alice is determined to make the most of it. She hugs her fans, signs autograph and enjoys every moment of her time in the spotlight as she put her plack in place on the ground. No one can say she hasn't made it now. It's right there, written in stone! She can't wait for her parents and family to read the papers.
    04-13-24_6-25-23%C2%A0AM.png
    04-13-24_6-25-40%C2%A0AM.png
    04-13-24_6-25-42%C2%A0AM.png

But as the papers arrive, Alice achievements are not at the front page. Instead another event takes the spotlight:
    AVvXsEgLzAsH0TrKu5gOurkmjcgG9NXMJSDzG9RK1odbiWsEBEfZ-giWKz8UTl1nX30MuIXyC0SGKwT5-QyVA_ZFSlPaeI4N7_oxMepYLX3j41M4UGQk2Yi0utFd4BCfMdFUxKMPwdJFtcdietMMlFhVG-McwvpQudTuP_oE795wRVX8n_q_kbzY3kJAwFXu1wwx=s16000
  • Options
    A baby is born, Christmas is coming and Nash is starting to panic

As the news of the stock market crash reach the world, Nash is more worried than he lets on. Josephine has never been one to care too much of economics and numbers and politics, but Nash has to, and he knows how much they owe the bank, and how much less money they now have when the stock he's invested in has plummeted in value. What is worse, is that his clients money has done the same.

The bank isn't pleased.

It's also not doing very well. As many other banks at the time, they have loaned out too much money to too frivolous investments, and they now see the worth of their loans dwindling - and those who have money in the banks more eager to remove them. During the depression 9000 banks in the US failed and had to close. Several of them overnight. It is not that bad for the bank Nash works for, but that doesn't stop them from laying off people, and Nash is one of the ones being laid off.
    AVvXsEi0GBjATApOV5kBZlJ3rRxxMpMkZA1V4HMVihDQdE1qDDzbXOT6C-sgoJhlWpouYY5V1WiS8SwWoxIUCcG-mYhp4J9bekmdSKrevVIl_7cVuomG2BpRocsF6XHhl3ZF-AzIP7fda1rxsb8r7FAvrwPWErud_n3w0BnOr4N-8oIqoAX7urVKxfYJl3R4EXbn=w640-h382

He returns home devasted and embarrassed, but tries to keep up appearances for the children. Only after they are put to bed does he tell Josephine about what happened. At first she's shocked, then angry that they could possibly do something like that. But surely he can just speak to his brother-in-law who owns part of the bank, or go to the unemployment office and get a new job - a better job - where they know to value his vast knowledge. "You'll figure it out, I'm sure. Besides, Christmas is coming and you wouldn't be working anyway. You have time to find something new!"
    04-14-24_6-12-46%C2%A0AM.png
    04-14-24_6-14-35%C2%A0AM.png

To his credit, Nash does try to live up to his wife's view of him. He spends the next day sitting outside the unemployment office. He sees the secretary looking at him, and people come and go, but after waiting in line for a full day, the office closes before he even gets inside. There are simply too many people in line, too many people who, like him, has been laid off as businesses crashed and went belly up. "Perhaps you can come back after Christmas," the secretary says as she gets up to leave.
    04-14-24_7-30-52%C2%A0AM.png
    04-14-24_7-31-41%C2%A0AM.png

So Nash does the second best thing, he goes to beg his sister to sway Rhett to give him his old job back. Or any job really. He's fine with being demoted as long as he can pay his bills, and the payment on his loan. Morgan seems sympathetic enough when he speaks to her, but as Rhett comes home he puts his foot down. How would it look if he stepped in to help his brother-in-law when so many others were let go too? When there were others with better results than he had on the stock market? No, he will not under any circumstances sway the bank to keep him on, nor will he influence the bank to give him extra time to pay his mortgage. He even refuses to lend Nash money. Nash is forced to go home with nothing to show for his efforts.
    04-14-24_7-36-47%C2%A0AM.png
    04-14-24_7-37-15%C2%A0AM.png

He walks home slowly, unsure of how to tell Josephine of how badly today has gone, but as he arrives he finds himself off the hook as she goes into labour. In a flash, Abigail is called over to help with dinner, dishes and the children, as Josephine retreats back to her room in order to deliver the baby. Nash is in panic, his paranoia getting the better of him again and again, but he forces himself to keep it together for his children, distracting them the best he can from the sounds coming from upstairs.

And then, a new sound, and the family gathers in the bedroom to meet the new bundle-of-joy. Nash wishes he could just rejoice at their little Christmas present without worrying how in the world he is going to feed his new born son. He wishes he was more successful, and feel a new and sudden urge to be as he is suddenly plunged into an early midlife crisis. He cannot fail his family, he has to find a way!
    04-14-24_8-02-22%C2%A0PM.png
    04-14-24_7-59-52%C2%A0PM.png
    04-14-24_8-04-40%C2%A0PM.png
    04-14-24_8-08-43%C2%A0PM.png
    AVvXsEhOYzClUECph6Ub1ikGmLU3p_3I9gcANVSCZw3C10e_pBy2JErVVb8AUsdH3tMYy_ThunvuG7GGuRQqdeJQRJo6tAYnyB2KPI2ouNDWQsmqWoUCF-6WSS26ZTtow2QD-5QGpiVantpxhHRrxklprkgrQBzoQbj42jehEsBPMejuAPErd-1s0V1940HLl4Jf=w640-h376

As the kids go to bed, and Josephine falls exhausted into bed, Nash goes to check the post. He knows the bills are coming, and as he expected they are waiting for him in the mail box. §15 000 in bills. §4 900 on the account. And tomorrow is Christmas Eve. How in the world is he going to fix this?
    AVvXsEilW4ZtvW_p5pXJAzlMWOm8Xv_3cB0WW4T6eoC8P_ztQzL4-BMnDogzfoAvIT6TUhl-iNLrwvW2i37N4AWCYHbaUmXI72FtTCjqT_4wBpSA5Z4f841sa6Vief3z1_KEAubkRyl-wsL_VPqNbsklCDLNBS7c7HGCS1AcwvFc6uTE-5K_JA1NYLhUemSVDi5r=w640-h610
  • Options
    edited April 27
    A very solemn Christmas

When Christmas Eve comes around, Nash is desperate. He now has another mouth to feed, and a holiday coming up, and no money to pay for either. As Josephine dotes on her new boy, Nash tries to find some way to come up with the money to at least buy a tree for the family. Taking on the odd jobs he can find on a Christmas eve, he still doesn't even cover the cost of the tree he brings home. Behind Josephine's back, he pawns the gaming table and chairs instead of just moving them to the attic. She won't know until the holiday's over and it pays for the tree, for some nice food for Christmas and then some.

Of course it does not pay the §15 000 bill that looms overhead. Unless he can come up with something fast, lights will be cut off tomorrow. Now wouldn't that be a fantastic Christmas gift? Perhaps he should tell Josephine, but he doesn't want to spoil the evening, so instead he lets the family rejoice at the tree, and Josephine cook a fantastic meal, and pretends not to be worried out of his mind as he and Thomas dress the tree and the family enjoys dinner. It's a quiet Christmas Eve, but a nice one.
    04-15-24_7-53-12%C2%A0PM.png
    04-15-24_8-00-43%C2%A0PM.png

After dinner Josephine brings out the violin she got from her father and plays for the entire family.
    04-15-24_8-27-32%C2%A0PM-2.png

While the children listens, Nash suddenly has an idea. As Josephine heads upstairs with the children putting them into bed, he stares at the violin. It's an expensive one, and he saw one just like it in the pawn shop when he pawned the furniture. One of these will fetch more §12 000. With the money they have saved that's enough to cover the bill and still have a few hundred left over. But it is Josephine's most treasured possession. Still... what choice do they have?
    04-15-24_8-27-51%C2%A0PM.png
    04-15-24_8-28-37%C2%A0PM.png

He waits until she's slipped into something more comfortable, and come back down before he breaches the topic with her. At first she flat out refuses. Why should her violin be pawned? Surely they can get money some other way? How much is it anyway? As Nash tells her, however, reality starts to dawn on her. "We owe the bank §15 000 and they want it back now?"

Nash shakes his head. "We owe the bank more than §100 000 and they want §15 000 of that now, they'll want the rest too, eventually, but we need to pay this bill now. I know it's your violin, and we'll get it back for you, I promise, but you don't want the children to freeze when they shut off the power. Do you?" Josephine relents. When her children are at risk, how can she not? Nash tries to comfort her, but it is with a heavy heart she goes to bed that night.
    04-15-24_9-56-41%C2%A0PM.png
    04-15-24_9-57-39%C2%A0PM.png
    04-15-24_9-58-09%C2%A0PM.png

Nash on the other hand, rushes off with the violin, and pays off their bills for the week. At least for now, they are safe. Still he too has a heavy heart when he goes to bed. What kind of man is he when he needs to take his wife's private possessions to pay for the bills of the house?
    04-15-24_9-59-51%C2%A0PM.png
    04-16-24_5-49-25%C2%A0AM.png

As Christmas Day begins it's a quiet morning in the house. Josephine puts on a brave face, but Nash struggles with feelings of inadequacies and failure. Still, the kids need food, and getting dressed and everything else that comes with a family of four young ones before they head off to the grandparents for Christmas dinner. Once there, Nash tries to keep a brave face, even though the topic of conversation among the men is all about the financial crash. Does he, who works in finance, have any inside information on how long this will last? How about his job, now that the bank is struggling. "It's a huge blow financially," Nathaniel says, "that the local branch of the bank is closing. They've been a very loyal tenant and provide one of my biggest incomes." Nash pretend he isn't completely thrown off by this news, but that the of course knew the bank was closing all along. How could Rhett not have told him this when he was there the other day?

"Will this affect your job at all?" Joseph asks Nash, who is still reeling from the news but then suddenly catches onto an idea. "I'm not at the local branch per say, they deal with loans and such and I'm in the investment side. But, there is a risk that we might have to relocate if this continues so I am looking at other options right now. Of course nothing is certain yet so I have not yet told Josephine," he ads, knowing she'd throw a fit at the idea of selling their home or moving. But nevertheless the thought has now lodged itself in Nash's mind. In a big city there will be more opportunities for him, and more banks. If he can get one of them to hire him then perhaps they can get back on their feet? He'll have to think about this.

Joseph grunts. "I can't say I like the idea of you moving, but either way you should include Josephine in the decision," he says. Nash nods. "When I know more, I will. Right now there is no real risk so there is no need to worry her needlessly."
    04-15-24_9-17-52%C2%A0PM-2.png
    04-15-24_9-18-01%C2%A0PM.png

As Nash worries, the rest of the family is enjoying Christmas Day. The dinner is as usual excellent, and present pile so big it no longer fits under the tree and people are chatting and eating and laughing. Josephine, so good at putting worries out of her mind, forgets all about her violin and financial issues that the only one not being able to let it go is Nash.
    04-15-24_9-21-00%C2%A0PM.png
    04-15-24_9-25-18%C2%A0PM.png
    04-15-24_9-26-30%C2%A0PM.png

By the time they get home the girls are exhausted as they are read to sleep by their parents.
    04-15-24_9-51-44%C2%A0PM.png

The rest of the holidays go by quietly. Nash and Josephine stays at home with their little family and newborn over boxing day and New Years. As 1929 turns into 1930 the entire family is sleeping and no one really pays any attention.

Next years start with a string of birthdays. In that first week of the 1930s, Madison Preston is turning into a YA and Austen Preston is set to start high school. In the Sinclair family Grace and Hazel are soon ready to start school, but most pressingly little baby Arthur needs a bigger bed. One they really can't afford right now but needs to buy anyway. Even as this weighs heavily on Nash, they first need to attend Madison's birthday party. Tess has outdone herself with the food, and Nash realises he will miss his gaming table as the family gather around the one in the Preston family living room. He has yet to tell Josephine about the table, but figures there will be time for that. Either way, they have a nice night. Madison makes a wish, blows out her candles and gets ready to leave the nest. She's already engaged, and will be married shortly, as her sister is already married. In 1930, women married early, and Madison knows her dream. To become the best mother she can.
    04-27-24_8-08-36%C2%A0AM.png
    04-27-24_8-09-01%C2%A0AM.png
    04-27-24_8-12-35%C2%A0AM.png

But back home, Arthurs need of a new bed is pressing, and money is tight. As the empty space that used to be their gaming table becomes glaringly obvious, Nash makes the decision to sell the typewriter. It is not as if he needs it right now, not without a job, and Arthur needs a bed more pressingly than he needs a typewriter. It's also an item which Josephine does not use and will not miss. He can only hope he's found work before the girls' birthday, so that he can better afford their new beds.
    04-27-24_10-02-05%C2%A0AM.png
    04-27-24_10-05-06%C2%A0AM.png

The very next morning, Nash is back at the unemployment office in Newcrest Townhall. This day, however, the line is even longer, and so the waiting is too. Tensions are high, and at one point even a fight breaks out between two men asking for the same position. When Nash finally gets in, the news aren't hopeful. On the one hand, his schooling is excellent, on the other banks just aren't hiring at the moment. "It doesn't have to be in finance," Nash assures the employment agency handler. "I do understand, but you have to understand that right now unemployment numbers are soaring. Almost a quarter of all men are looking for new employment. I cannot find jobs that aren't there. But I will keep your papers, and let you know if something shows up."

As Nash returns home, things are not looking better than they were when he left. How in the world is he going to explain this to Josephine?
    04-27-24_10-39-44%C2%A0AM.png
    04-27-24_10-41-21%C2%A0AM.png
    04-27-24_10-40-44%C2%A0AM.png
    04-27-24_10-42-30%C2%A0AM.png

Post edited by JAL on