Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making a backpackers hostel. Pics and Many New Questions..

NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,899 Member
I'm picturing a cheap backpackers hostel, like ones we have in tourist places here in New Zealand. (But this one in Sulani...) Young (or young at heart?) travellers come with their little bit of stuff, sometimes taking on part time or odd jobs and checking out the local culture and sights.
I can see it working in game a bit like the university dorms. However, I'm not sure if it's been done or if it can be done?

So, any ideas and advice?
Post edited by NRowe on

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,396 Member
    Community lots like community space and recreation center lets your sims sleep on the lot (and other sims will sleep too). I put bunk beds in one of my community space lots and they are always occupied. :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 30
    That sounds good. The only thing I can think is that this is my Sim for the Globetrotter challenge (admittedly being played quite loosely) and if she returns to Mt Komorebi to go to work each day (and I want her to take a job as a lifeguard I think..) it will be awkward
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,396 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    That sounds good. The only thing I can think is that this is my Sim for the Globetrotter challenge (admittedly being played quite loosely) and if she returns to Mt Komorebi to go to work each day (and I want her to take a job as a lifeguard I think..) it will be awkward

Well, if you want her to have a career type job, then you are better off just moving her to Sulani. I assumed you wanted a lot to visit for some days and not pay rent. You can clean dirt piles and earn some money from shells or taking pictures. If you happen to be at the island festival you can also eat there for free and gather the shells the villagers bring.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member

The programming of the game means played Sims always must have a residence somewhere. But for "Backpackers", what I may suggest if you have "Apartments" is taking an empty lot somewhere, dividing it into six "squares", then every backpacker played Sim could technically have a residence there, but travel around the Sim-worlds.

It would be a shame to 'waste' one lot as an empty in Sulani to do that. But I'm thinking now, maybe you could have it on a beach or inland as "Apartment Rentals". More like a campground, not quite a hostel, but close. I was actually thinking of doing that for the Hoapili lot. But have little cabin-huts.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    Couldn't you just have a rental property there designed in a layout for backpackers with rental rooms that are basically just beds and shared spaces for showers, eating etc using the For Rent pack?
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 960 Member
    No idea.
    I have beds in some community lots, but sims only play for food and drinks while staying there.
    Some might be pretty noisy, though, as some beds are put on first floor of bars or karaokee bars.
  • Options
    No idea.
    I have beds in some community lots, but sims only play for food and drinks while staying there.
    Some might be pretty noisy, though, as some beds are put on first floor of bars or karaokee bars.

If you mean NPC's, yeah. Anyways I more often than not put beds, showers, etc on 'community' lots anyways. For baths/showers, it's way better than having to wash your hands a dozen times. :D I even have two bedrooms and a hot-tub in my high-school. I have seen a few NPC's use it, but only after classes are dismissed.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    edited March 30
    Couldn't you just have a rental property there designed in a layout for backpackers with rental rooms that are basically just beds and shared spaces for showers, eating etc using the For Rent pack?

With the "For Rent" pack. I have tested it. Have basically bedrooms as the 'rentals' then a common area for everyone. It works.

2 Cacti Casa I had modified to have 4 units with a common area. With "For Rent" I actually turned the 4 units into their own 'apartments'. Took some testing and tweaking but did get it to work. The "L" is the landlord, the "R"'s the rentals.

Those bathrooms are silly now, I'll change those eventually. :p

IieDJDt.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Good to know @elanorbreton and @Admiral8Q. Cheers!
  • Options
    jehEUu7.png

blzNbtv.png

Xct9lSs.png

This is the wonderful build I found by 96langerlui99
  • Options
    HdPxw07.png

7ttxW9N.png

This is how I have redone the bathroom to be shared.
  • Options
    jSirdax.png

Db37iuE.png

EZwpQxO.png

The rooms with bunks downstairs
  • Options
    qSmNmLK.png

oeMq3U3.png

The double bed upstairs
  • Options
    I don't actually own For Rent, yet, but I've been considering buying it.

I am wondering:
    - Do you think it would let me make each bedroom (so the bunks one side, the bunks the other and the double bed upstairs) into three separate rental units with the rest of the house (including bathroom and kitchen) being shared space? I know the place wouldn't be packed but at least there could be two other guests, or a fellow single and a couple plus my Sim [in three units/rooms].

- Would I have to create the tenants of the other units and then set them loose? Does one have to control the tenants of other units (or is that the idea?) Do I have to have a landlord? and did I read correctly that they don't have to live on lot?

- How is the rent calculated? I need an idea how much my Sim may be charged..
  • Options
    OH MY!!

Purchased For Rent (which I guess I don't regret..) but then I go to make the lot above a "Residential Rental" only to find that lot type "not available for water lots" :o:s
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,940 Member
    I don't actually own For Rent, yet, but I've been considering buying it.

I am wondering:
    - Do you think it would let me make each bedroom (so the bunks one side, the bunks the other and the double bed upstairs) into three separate rental units with the rest of the house (including bathroom and kitchen) being shared space? I know the place wouldn't be packed but at least there could be two other guests, or a fellow single and a couple plus my Sim [in three units/rooms].

- Would I have to create the tenants of the other units and then set them loose? Does one have to control the tenants of other units (or is that the idea?) Do I have to have a landlord? and did I read correctly that they don't have to live on lot?

- How is the rent calculated? I need an idea how much my Sim may be charged..

Answers would be:
    1. No, well, unless you use methods to make it a separate room (fences, spandrels etc). Each separate bed cannot be a separate unit (the system isn't meant for vacationers after all...).
    2. Nope. In addition to every household not in the world generated, there are 20 pre-made tenant households that start out hidden.
    3. It should be calculated based on the unit rating (room, amenities, ambiance, and maintenance).
    OH MY!!

Purchased For Rent (which I guess I don't regret..) but then I go to make the lot above a "Residential Rental" only to find that lot type "not available for water lots" :o:s

Oh boy, welcome to my world after the Q&A was published before the release!

In short, these are the limitations:
    • No Residential Rentals in waterfront lots! (someone tested out what would happen if it was possible, the water didn't work and sims walked underwater)
    • No Residential Rentals in penthouse lots! (I'm guessing abnormal lot shape)
    • No Residential Rentals in vacation worlds! (These aren't for vacationers after all)
    • No more than 100 units! (The most soul-crushing announcement ever for me...)
    I'm guessing that in some short of hidden The Sims 2-like system, each unit is its own sub-lot.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 960 Member
    edited March 31
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    No idea.

If you mean NPC's, yeah.

I don't. I sometimes send sims there when they need some sleep while their neighbors are too noisy.
    I'll add some pictures later.

Here, a sim called Kristoffer Paulsen is sleeping in a bed at first floor of a karaokebar after having sung karaoke.

31_03_12.png

31_03_11.png

Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    OH MY!!

Did you move the lot to a non-water one? Are you all set up now? You can move some tenants in yourself without having to control them afterwards and you don't have to have a landlord on the lot. You will need a bedroom per 'household' but the remaining space can be shared.
  • Options

Did you move the lot to a non-water one? Are you all set up now? You can move some tenants in yourself without having to control them afterwards and you don't have to have a landlord on the lot. You will need a bedroom per 'household' but the remaining space can be shared.

I tried the mod which allows for residential rentals on water lots (by no longer treating the lot as waterfront..). Knew it was a little “risky” and while I got the rental set up with three units, when I tried to move my Sim in the game threw an error and took all her money. Put me right off.