Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & fears issues

Tried internet first with no success so...
I have a sim in an almost constant state of rage because of the unfulfilled dreams fear. According to the 1 useful article found that happens when wants are not met for a prolonged period of time. Problem is, have yet to see any wants in game since EA introduced that system. Hard to fulfill a want that isn't there.

Fears appear to be by random background 'dice roll' not gameplay per that article. Only correlation have ever seen is fear of fire after sim has ignited one in kitchen while cooking.

Will unchecking the 'show wants & fears' box take existing fears away or is a cheat required? Related, will unchecking the box end them altogether or just make both invisible?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    If you have wants toggled on, but no wants show, that's a bug
    If you have wants toggled off, but get the fear of unfulfilled dreams, that's another bug

If they happen in an unmodded game would you consider submitting a bug report at AHQ?

(just to be sure, you are looking for wants in the area around the sim's portrait in the lower left hand corner, the things that used to be called whims?)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Related, will unchecking the box end them altogether or just make both invisible?
    I'd like to know this myself. I have Wants & Fears disabled, and never had any problem with that. But recently one of my sims had many unsuccesful interactions with his problem horse and got a warning that if this persisted, he'd manifest a fear of horses. (The warning took the form of both a popup and a tense moodlet). So it appears the system is still working under the hood to some degree.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    Loading into a household I always get my sims terrified of something usually vampires. I actually had someone married to a vampire terrified of them. I find it quite annoying, it serves no purpose and stops them from doing whatever I ask of them. so I often click it off with ui cheats. Now I am playing quasi vanilla, so i can't, but it happens less often with certain households for some reason, and I tend to playing with those instead.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    If you have wants toggled on, but no wants show, that's a bug
    If you have wants toggled off, but get the fear of unfulfilled dreams, that's another bug

If they happen in an unmodded game would you consider submitting a bug report at AHQ?

(just to be sure, you are looking for wants in the area around the sim's portrait in the lower left hand corner, the things that used to be called whims?)

I appear to be bugged as have them toggled on at present. Only mod I have is the all but absolutely essential MCCC. Still willing to file a bug report. It may be a 'me too' as I doubt I'm the only one with the problem. Am looking in the lower left corner as that is the most logical place. I have a vague memory that there was an outcry when the feature was introduced due to its being broken. Never had an issue with whims and firmly believe TS2 does the wants & fears thing much better.
  • Options
    @Oldeseadogge So you had whims before, but now the wants don't show up?
    here's a quick image of what they look like
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FVOJtqLG96eM%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=99ca8f8284bb3169cb78045168624ab9fca6ea72bbab117b0b5c0cadfd9afc0d&ipo=images
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I use a mod to remove all fears. That way I am able to fulfill wants over time and gain those Satisfaction Points. I use JungleSim No Fears All, the updated version. Works like a champ. But if you're not getting wants, have you removed your Mods folder? Something may be blocking them. Or if that fails, do a game repair.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 174 Member
    edited March 14
    I didn't know you can toggle wants and fears off.

To get rid of the fears, there is also the possibility to buy a potion with the satisfaction points (you can also use a cheat to get more satisfaction points for your Sim, if there aren't enough). You get those potions in the rewards store. Just click on the Sim's aspiration button. (I have done so a several time)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I didn't know you can toggle wants and fears off.

To get rid of the fears, there is also the possibility to buy a potion with the satisfaction points (you can also use a cheat to get more satisfaction points for your Sim, if there aren't enough). You get those potions in the rewards store. Just click on the Sim's aspiration button. (I have done so a several time)

If push comes comes to shove, I generally use MCCC cheat to give my Sim more satisfaction points, but it's more fun to earn them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    @Oldeseadogge So you had whims before, but now the wants don't show up?
    here's a quick image of what they look like
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FVOJtqLG96eM%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=99ca8f8284bb3169cb78045168624ab9fca6ea72bbab117b0b5c0cadfd9afc0d&ipo=images

Whims showed up like clockwork but have never seen what you show since the wants/fears thing arrived. Have not a clue how to repair game. Can it be done without being stuck with those game breaking updates?
  • Options
    @Oldeseadogge If you have them toggled on, but they don't appear, that's a bug.
    Please consider making a bug report if you have an unmodded game!
  • Options
    Have just finished the hard test. A new game with the mods folder not present. Made a sim, set up housekeeping, and got 2 wants in the illustrated positions. Somewhere in that folder is the culprit. Have since put MCCC back but since it's almost 11:30 PM that test awaits tomorrow. Anybody have ideas on how to efficiently find the guilty party?
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    Have just finished the hard test. A new game with the mods folder not present. Made a sim, set up housekeeping, and got 2 wants in the illustrated positions. Somewhere in that folder is the culprit. Have since put MCCC back but since it's almost 11:30 PM that test awaits tomorrow. Anybody have ideas on how to efficiently find the guilty party?

50/50 method is the best way to find the mod thats messing up your game
    https://youtu.be/kp_fdyXQCfE?si=kFCI3A-BJIfIhMSe
  • Options
    edited March 17
    Well, the test happened earlier today during a schoolwork break. Wants still there with MCCC back in Mods folder. Got the Tray Importer mentioned in the video. Took a while to get it to work but ran it, and nothing broken or otherwise not right was found. Whatever that program does, finding mods/CC that interferes with game operation is not included. Come to think of it, checkerboard sims and invisible ones due to bad CC aren't either. A similar program, 'mod checker' was mentioned on SnootySims. That one caused McAfee to have a hissy-fit of a warning of evils innumerable. This is beginning to look like a long and tedious process.

Is there a cheat to remove fears sims already have?
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited March 17
    Is there a cheat to remove fears sims already have?

I don’t know about a cheat, but “fear be gone” is available in the Rewards Store.
  • Options
    Thank you. Will check it out once can try that save again.

Progress is progressing using the removal method. This is helped by having a target date. On a hunch, launched the game on a different computer to see if the wants worked. They did. They look so much like whims that's what I thought they were. Took a look at the screenshots and found that the most recent one is dated 14 January 2024. That suggests that the culprit is a mod or CC added since then. This focuses the search and testing.