Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do Your Children Move Back in to the Family Home After Graduating University?

Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,097 Member
A question i've always wondered, do your children move back in to the family home once they've graduated university or do you give them a few Simoleans and let them live their life on their own? Most of my sim self's children have always gone their own way after graduating university and ended up finding or building their own place to live once they've found work. There have been one of two of my sim self's children who did come back home because they weren't ready to be on their own or didn't know what they wanted out of life yet.

My sim self's daughter Beatrix left the family home in 1984 when she became an Young Adult and went travelling. She returned in 1986 when she ran out of travel money and lived with her father (my sim self) To raise more money to continue her travels, she started making and selling her own jewellery at a local market where she made some kind of pocket money. While trying to raise travel money she was scouted by cable Jewellery Shopping Channel and they sold some of her Jewellery on there which made her rich enough to go travelling again.

She returned to the nest once more in 1988 when she decided she was ready to go to university. She graduated university in 1988 and as of 2002 in my current save she is top of the military career living in her own apartment.

No matter how old my sim self's kids are, his door is always open to them for what ever reason they need to come home again.

Comments

• Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 883 Member
    If I played the game realistically, my Sims kids would move out and find a place of their own. I would probably have the parents help get them started, and they would visit, but they would be on their own.
    However, I don't play the game realistically. My plan for my Sims kids would be that the heirs of each family would move back into their childhood home with their parents, and start a family. That way the house will stay with the family, and keep the family generational. Plus, they would have the most kids. As for the kids that aren't heirs, they would get some money to move out, and are free to do what they want. If they have kids, I will limit them to only one, so that the Sim population doesn't cull the family. So, overall, heirs return home and live with the parents, but their siblings that aren't heirs move out and do what they want.
  • Options
    ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 371 Member
    Depending which legacy playing if the heir went to university they came back home
    If any of the kids in my other saves I do one of two things A) if its not against the rules of the challenge they do come back home if they don't have the money for a vacant lot or for a lot that has a residential dwelling on it til they can afford a place on their own, B) will give them 3k if plan on playing them in the near future
  • Options
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    If I played the game realistically, my Sims kids would move out and find a place of their own. I would probably have the parents help get them started, and they would visit, but they would be on their own.
    However, I don't play the game realistically. My plan for my Sims kids would be that the heirs of each family would move back into their childhood home with their parents, and start a family. That way the house will stay with the family, and keep the family generational. Plus, they would have the most kids. As for the kids that aren't heirs, they would get some money to move out, and are free to do what they want. If they have kids, I will limit them to only one, so that the Sim population doesn't cull the family. So, overall, heirs return home and live with the parents, but their siblings that aren't heirs move out and do what they want.

@Umbreon12 I did a similar thing with my sim self's late son Andrew. He built his own house after graduating university in 1982 and in 1990 he died from laughter. In his will it was his wish that the house get passed down through his children: his alien daughter Daisy and his human sons Brian and Clyde. After Andrew was sent to the Netherworld, Daisy inherited the house where she has raised three of her own children and her stepson. They are now moving to Sulani to live with her husband's elderly father. Brian is next in line to inherit his father's house and he will be moving in once he graduates university. I won't be moving Daisy and family out until Brian has entered so Daisy's family gets a fresh household inventory.

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Only three of my sims have graduated from uni. One returned to their legacy home, the other moved in with his girlfriend to her father's place and the third one was an adult vampire. I can see it going any way. I think my default would be to have them move on their own although it hasn't yet happened in my game!
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 960 Member
    They live at home while studying at university.

Otherwise, they would move back to their family home if their parents are likely soon to die from old age. Otherwise, they would start a new life somewhere else.
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »

@Umbreon12 I did a similar thing with my sim self's late son Andrew. He built his own house after graduating university in 1982 and in 1990 he died from laughter. In his will it was his wish that the house get passed down through his children: his alien daughter Daisy and his human sons Brian and Clyde. After Andrew was sent to the Netherworld, Daisy inherited the house where she has raised three of her own children and her stepson. They are now moving to Sulani to live with her husband's elderly father. Brian is next in line to inherit his father's house and he will be moving in once he graduates university. I won't be moving Daisy and family out until Brian has entered so Daisy's family gets a fresh household inventory.

I am still on my first generations of Sims, I have them all on long setting, with aging off. I don't think I will build a house, because I am not very good at it. However, my plans are similar to your plans, which is to give the house to the children. The heirs will have the house, and will keep the house, unless something happens to the heirs. Like if they have a child, and they pass away, one of their siblings would move in to take are of them, until the children are old enough to live on their own.
    Your Sims sound amazing, and it is nice that even though Daisy was the first heir, she will leave to live with her husband's elderly father with her family. At least Brian will get the original inventory, while they get a brand new one.
    Also, part of the reason I want to keep the houses, is so that if I have Neighborhood stories on, no one moves in. Also, so that I don't lose the original furniture as well. Also, some families I used the money cheat with, so I want to keep their big houses in the family.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,437 Member
    My sims attended university as (young) adults later in life (not immediately after growing from teen to young adult) Most of them already have their own place before they start studies. They either study from home or move back into their own house after graduation.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,685 Member
    I keep detailed track on each sim's properties and other values, so I never just give the youngsters some money unless they could get it as heritage in-advance. Most of my households have just their main home. After university my sims will normally move into a smaller home on their own. When parents gets very old, they might swap homes, or the main heir will just move back home. I need this kind of realism in my game, because it also provides some challenge. And it makes sure that sims who don't care to get a decent job, will normally be stuck with their small rented home for decades :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I play legacies in all my saves. Even if they don't start that way, they inevitably turn into it haha. Almost always I will choose an heir by the time the kids are teens. The heir, if they even go to uni, will attend while living at home with the parents. After graduation they move back into the family home. The non heir children are given a home of their own when they age to YA and move out. The heir starts spouse hunting and the spouse moves in with the heir and their parents. I can't see the benefit in moving out a couple of adults or elders (depends) who are usually by this time maxed out in very useful skills like cooking, handiness and especially parenting. I might move grandma and grandpa out to their own little cozy home once the kiddos are child age. Sometimes they stay in this 3 generation home until they die.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    edited February 18

I am still on my first generations of Sims, I have them all on long setting, with aging off. I don't think I will build a house, because I am not very good at it. However, my plans are similar to your plans, which is to give the house to the children. The heirs will have the house, and will keep the house, unless something happens to the heirs. Like if they have a child, and they pass away, one of their siblings would move in to take are of them, until the children are old enough to live on their own.
    Your Sims sound amazing, and it is nice that even though Daisy was the first heir, she will leave to live with her husband's elderly father with her family. At least Brian will get the original inventory, while they get a brand new one.
    Also, part of the reason I want to keep the houses, is so that if I have Neighborhood stories on, no one moves in. Also, so that I don't lose the original furniture as well. Also, some families I used the money cheat with, so I want to keep their big houses in the family.

@Umbreon12 Daisy's husband is Jayce Kealoah who is the son of Makoa Kealoah who lives on the Kinship lot in Sulani. The Kinship lot. is pretty much untouched since Makoa's wife seems to have been culled at some point and Duane Talla now lives in Newcrest with a family of his own thanks to MCCC and Neighbourhood Stories.

I went through some old screenshots and you might be interested to see how Daisy's house has kept the same since her late father built it. These are from Daisy's father's Andrew's first day in the house back in 1982:

The welcome wagon has arrived, i recognise that fruitcake anywhere!

From left to right: Daisy's late father Andrew, my sim self (Andrew, Tommy and Sienna's father) Andrew's late brother Tommy, Tommy and Andrew's sister Sienna and a former neighbour:
    u0WApU7.png

The same area of the house in the current year of 2002:
    Around the table clockwise: My sim self's cousins: Connor (who the plumbob is focused on) and his brother Riordan, my sim self's son Jacob, the next heir of the house Brian and my sim self's cousin Sean. Daisy has let Brian and the others live there for their final two terms of University. Daisy will transfer the house over to him once Brian has graduated.
    DUTCSEJ.png

The original living room layout from 1982:
    GPkhNRx.png
    The current layout in 2002:
    ugwxQlZ.png

The kitchen from 1982:
    cf1d02I.png

The kitchen in the current year of 2002:
    bm6ColR.png

The exterior hasn't changed too much.

The front of the house in 1982:
    wWOqlCt.png

The front of the house in 1993:
    ADbLhnL.png

The front as it looks in the current year of 2002. (The archway was put there in 1994)
    mfWGmnT.png

And a bonus pic: Daisy with her father Andrew as an alien baby:
    MgLGk1A.png
  • Options

@Umbreon12 Daisy's husband is Jayce Kealoah who is the son of Makoa Kealoah who lives on the Kinship lot in Sulani. The Kinship lot. is pretty much untouched since Makoa's wife seems to have been culled at some point and Duane Talla now lives in Newcrest with a family of his own thanks to MCCC and Neighbourhood Stories.

I went through some old screenshots and you might be interested to see how Daisy's house has kept the same since her late father built it. These are from Daisy's father's Andrew's first day in the house back in 1982:

From left to right: Daisy's late father Andrew, my sim self (Andrew, Tommy and Sienna's father) Andrew's late brother Tommy, Tommy and Andrew's sister Sienna and a former neighbour:
    u0WApU7.png

Around the table clockwise: My sim self's cousins: Connor (who the plumbob is focused on) and his brother Riordan, my sim self's son Jacob, the next heir of the house Brian and my sim self's cousin Sean. Daisy has let Brian and the others live there for their final two terms of University. Daisy will transfer the house over to him once Brian has graduated.
    DUTCSEJ.png

GPkhNRx.png
    ugwxQlZ.png

The kitchen from 1982:
    cf1d02I.png

bm6ColR.png

wWOqlCt.png

ADbLhnL.png

The front as it looks in the current year of 2002. (The archway was put there in 1994)
    mfWGmnT.png

MgLGk1A.png

Those are incredible!
    I love the past vs the newer generation rooms, not much has changed, just updated. The family looks amazing too, and I love the lore you have for them.
    I don't have the MCC mod, most of my Sims 4 is on my PS4, with only the base game and romantic garden(free) on my PC. Also, the culling is annoying, so you always have to watch out for that.
  • Options

u0WApU7.png

DUTCSEJ.png

GPkhNRx.png
    ugwxQlZ.png

The kitchen from 1982:
    cf1d02I.png

bm6ColR.png

wWOqlCt.png

ADbLhnL.png

mfWGmnT.png

MgLGk1A.png

Those are incredible!
    I love the past vs the newer generation rooms, not much has changed, just updated. The family looks amazing too, and I love the lore you have for them.
    I don't have the MCC mod, most of my Sims 4 is on my PS4, with only the base game and romantic garden(free) on my PC. Also, the culling is annoying, so you always have to watch out for that.

@Umbreon12 Thank you! At the start of each new sim year i create a new save file so i have loads of old saves which show the family in their previous sizes and life stages. Originally my sim self was set on only having six children but events in the game lead him to having twelve spread over three marriages. Tommy's red hair still puzzles me to date, his mother Liberty Lee never had red hair nor did my sim self at any stage!

• Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 19
    Usually, my sims give birth to 2 to 3 children, only the heir, his/her/their partners and children are going to live with parents after graduated. For the rest, I will transfer them some amount of Simoleons and let them to find a living place.
    Although "For Rent" has lots of bugs, it is a good DLC because I want more living places!

(P.S. I have >700 sims in my save)

The Vatore siblings in my save maybe exceptional.
    Lilith married, her husband moved in. They have 2 children in their first part of life.
    Caleb married, his wife moved in. They have 2 children.
    The full house 8 people were living together, until the 4 children attended college.

After Lilith's second child attended college, Lilith gave birth to her 3rd child, a girl. When this little girl turned toddler, Lilith adopted 7 more orphans and 2 kittens.
    At the same time, Caleb and his wife moved to Henford-on-Bagley. Their son moved in after graduated, but he is still single.
    Post edited by Arca on
  • Options

u0WApU7.png

DUTCSEJ.png

GPkhNRx.png
    ugwxQlZ.png

The kitchen from 1982:
    cf1d02I.png

bm6ColR.png

wWOqlCt.png

ADbLhnL.png

mfWGmnT.png

MgLGk1A.png

Those are incredible!

@Umbreon12 Thank you! At the start of each new sim year i create a new save file so i have loads of old saves which show the family in their previous sizes and life stages. Originally my sim self was set on only having six children but events in the game lead him to having twelve spread over three marriages. Tommy's red hair still puzzles me to date, his mother Liberty Lee never had red hair nor did my sim self at any stage!
    That is really cool. It must be interesting to see the family in different stages. Most of my saves on my PC version have one or two families, while my PS4 saves are packed with multiple families. That is a lot of kids, for one family I made six kids in CAS, edited in four kids, and finally gave them one child born in-game.Which gave them eleven kids total. Tommy does sound interesting, was there any CC involved? Liberty Lee is a mother to a couple of my Sims families. One Sim has no CC, and their kids inherited the dark hair. Another Sim that she was married to in another save had CC hair, and the two had triplets, all of them inherited his hair color, or close to his color. Also, I noticed that even without CC, some hair colors can come out weird. One of my Sims had an unnatural hair color like a green or blue, and their spouse had the normal hair color like brown and black, some rolls I did in CAS for possible kids gave me hair colors that were random.

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    My Sims normally attend university from home and move out upon marriage or after reaching a career or life milestone. Their parents give them enough funds (so far 50k to 300k) for the new place from the money earned in-game by the family.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,345 Member
    Many of my sims attend uni from from home, because I don't use Britechester and Foxbury lore, but make believe my sims attend real world universities (I look up acceptance rates online and then roll percentile dice - sim that don't pass go to the neighborhood college).

Of those who moved out for uni recently, some moved back home:

- Engaged couple Emma and Hugo went straight to Law School (gamemechanically their second degree) and also rented an apartment together.
    - Christie Sigworth from Strangerville got a job in Moonwood Mill and lives in an apartment above her workplace.
    - Elsa Bjergsen moved back in with her parents. She is so focused on her job at Future Labs that she doesn't have the capacity for independent living. Hotel Mama is most convenient!
    - The werewolves all returned to their former living situation, so that means Jacob Volkov moved back in with his parents.
  • Options
    edited February 20
    That is really cool. It must be interesting to see the family in different stages. Most of my saves on my PC version have one or two families, while my PS4 saves are packed with multiple families. That is a lot of kids, for one family I made six kids in CAS, edited in four kids, and finally gave them one child born in-game.Which gave them eleven kids total. Tommy does sound interesting, was there any CC involved? Liberty Lee is a mother to a couple of my Sims families. One Sim has no CC, and their kids inherited the dark hair. Another Sim that she was married to in another save had CC hair, and the two had triplets, all of them inherited his hair color, or close to his color. Also, I noticed that even without CC, some hair colors can come out weird. One of my Sims had an unnatural hair color like a green or blue, and their spouse had the normal hair color like brown and black, some rolls I did in CAS for possible kids gave me hair colors that were random.

@Umbreon12 There was no CC involved at all in the game at the time Tommy was born so i don't know how he got his red hair. I have had sims age up to Children/Teens/ Young Adults with the most bizarre random hair styles and outfits that they either make me laugh out loud or go "no, no no!" lol.

In early arguments between my sim self and Tommy's mother Liberty a running joke would be about Tommy's hair to which Liberty would always respond "Yes he is yours!"
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I tend to play similar to a legacy and whoever I choose as the heir moves back home but any spares move out and start new households for my rotation.
  • Options

@Umbreon12 There was no CC involved at all in the game at the time Tommy was born so i don't know how he got his red hair. I have had sims age up to Children/Teens/ Young Adults with the most bizarre random hair styles and outfits that they either make me laugh out loud or go "no, no no!" lol.

In early arguments between my sim self and Tommy's mother Liberty a running joke would be about Tommy's hair to which Liberty would always respond "Yes he is yours!"

The only other thing I can think of is maybe having one parent having an unusual color that you can give sims in the game or a glitch. I had a Sim female with purple hair, her hair style was CC, but the purple I used could be found in the game. She married Don Lothario, and four of their five kids had black hair, while one child ended up with red hair. However, two townie Sims from Snowy Escape both have black hair, but people have reported that their kid is often a redhead.
    The outfits they get as they grow is a huge miss, so it is really is funny.
    Maybe black hair isn't Liberty Lee's natural color. However, genes in Sims 4 are really weird, and don't really follow reality.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,611 Member
    edited February 23
    My Sims' door is always open, too. However, when I sent the kids off to Britechester-U to live on campus, making them a separate household in the process, I managed to forget to unlock the security gates! No worries. Erik and Kayleigh already had plans to wed. Erik had a house built, the Flanigan and the dormmates continued to live in Erik's new house for a time. Brianna was the first to leave. She married Spock and they moved into his inherited abode, just down the hill from Erik's place. The two brothers stayed to help with the babies, once their brother and Kayleigh wed. The babies were quick to follow in succession. When Joey and Aaron eyed the Fletcher House, they decided to pool their resources and moved there. Both are still devout bachelors. Guess babysitting Erik's Brood was a tad off-putting for these gentlemen. This house was also just down the hill from Erik's and down the lane from Bree's place. So the kids remain near at hand and are very close.

The only ones of Erik's now seven children that have left home are the twins. They bought a small apartment complex where they live and run things. Daddy, of course helped with the financing and carries the note on the place. Andrew, the second son and fourth child is currently studying at home, in his second term at Uni. Britechester-U. Peter and Cadence are still in high school, which they could graduate early, but have declined to do so. They are hoping for a true graduation ceremony, which Andrew didn't quite get as the game malfunctioned once again. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/