Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long does it take until your Sim starts to cook? πŸ«•

There was an update a while ago about the cooking recipes list and I don't think it goes any faster now.

When I place my Sim in front of the stove and tell him to cook one of the first recipes available,
it takes him almost 30 seconds until the list shows up, I choose a receipe, he moves, goes to the fridge and starts to cook.
(~ 10-12 seconds until the receipe list eventually shows up and there's also a lag after I chose the receipe.)
This is as long as some Simmers game takes to load (not mine, though ^^')

Is this taking that long in your game too?

From clicking on the stove, choosing a single serving of one of the first recipes available until the Sim goes to the fridge:
How long does it take until your Sim starts to cook? πŸ«•
(I'm aware that some Simmers click faster than others ^^')

If you like you can add in the comments below what you think of the new receipe list, what could be done better and anything else that comes to your mind about cooking and the receipes 🍝
I think it would go faster if the list wouldn't start will all the receipes but with one of the categories. Like when we click on the 'Objects by Function' in build mode when 'Show all' is activated. There is a delay of a few seconds too (only ~ 4 seconds, though. But I would prefer it would start with a category because I always think my game crashed ^^').

117c0b17912e855f10e5f2efd2161d99b967cb07.pnj
2955a9cf9808d1ff1aa119da2f33de9cd4ee3c81.pnj

Disclaimer: As always, this poll is anonymous πŸ•΅οΈ and the participation is voluntary πŸŒ„
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨

How long does it take until your Sim starts to cook? πŸ«• 22 votes

less than a second
9% 2 votes
less than 5 seconds
40% 9 votes
less than 10 seconds
4% 1 vote
less than 20 seconds
13% 3 votes
less than 30 seconds
18% 4 votes
less than a minute
13% 3 votes
more than a minute ΓΆ.Γ–'
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I have almost all of the packs and more than 330 custom recipes, but it takes about 2 seconds for the recipe menu to come up. Sims move to cook instantly after I select a recipe. I agree though that the cooking menu is one of the laggiest things in the game. Everything else is basically instant.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Pretty much instant here too... Pulling up the recipe menu loads for 1 second. All major packs with no custom food mods.

When you select Cook it should let the player select which tab to load instead of All by default. While we're on the topic, cakes really should be under Bake instead.
    This thread comes to mind: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1011025/baking-skill-should-be-basegame#latest
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,965 Member
    edited February 19
    less than 5 + me being slow bean myself
    that said I'm not playing sims that have all recipes found & unlocked atm so it might be different for those sims
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,930 Member
    Custom foods are in my "stuff to get" list after game is finished.

From almost instant to 5 seconds, indeed depends on if the sim knows all the recipes.

I may only imagine, but simple living - lot challenge, and prepped ingredients usage , may add to the time. I use that a lot.

In reality it takes minute at least before sim starts to cook, as it takes that much for me to decide what to cook.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited February 19
    I mostly go by "serve dinner" unless i want something really different then i go to the recipe menu and select something not in the main menus. This doesn't take long for them to start cooking.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Most of the time it's instantous, but at rare occasions the menu lags. I haven't found a rhyme or reason to it (tbh I didn't track the occurences either).
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    Less than 5 seconds. I have most of the packs with recipes now, and I also have Lilbowbub's Granny's Recipes, and it's still pretty much immediate. It does lag a bit, probably about 3 seconds. Long enough to be noticeable, not really long enough to be annoying. :smile:
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    The same with me, almost instantly my sims begins cooking. It takes longer for the menu to show up from the fridge than the sim actually cooking, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Almost never use the 'cook' interaction, preferring the 'have breakfast, etc' approach. My biggest problem with 'cook' is the excessively long list of irrelevant items that must be waded through to get to a basic meal.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 720 Member
    I play on PS5. The lag is significant. So far it has not frozen, but I am scared that it will every time.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    According to the bug report here are some things that can help
    - Turn off laptop mode in graphics settings
    - Reduce the number of items stored in the fridge (like if you have hundreds of ingredients in there)
    - Reduce the number of items stored in personal inventory or in other storage boxes/chests on the lot
    - Restart computer and delete localthumbcache file if neither has been done in some time
    - If on console, clear the device cache

And hopefully they fix/improve it more since it is still an open bug!
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Lag-for-menu-to-show-up-when-clicking-on-objects/td-p/10553269

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    @mightysprite ah thank you!

I think it's the age of my computer (windows 7 = far over 10 years old o.o') but I tried the following:

- ingredients in the fridge: there are only 8 meals inside, no ingredients
    - I regularly delete the cache files since the EA App and the game crash a bit more often than usual lately
    - no laptop mode enabled
    - I also keep their inventories clean because I read this stuffes the save file

Maybe it's taking so long because we have 2 kitchens and fridges on this lot?

When we're in a hurry we let Jeb and Kiyoshi conjure up the meals ^^'
    61f5c5f0ea8b2f53a21baaa201f337d3cf620da4.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,860 Member
    My sims get right to it. It's a rare sim in my played households that doesn't love to cook so maybe that has something to do with it. The only time is if my game gets this little hiccup where actions won't drop down from the queue to the active slot. That has nothing to do with cooking though because it can happen with any action. Usually it means my game hasn't been shut down for a few hours and/or my computer is needing a reboot because it's been on for days and the cache needs flushed out.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Mine are really fast. I don't have any custom recipe mods, and I rarely have more than a dish or two in the fridge.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER β€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I have a lot of custom recipies, plus the ones you learn from eating the food from stalls. Also, the fridges tend to have a lots of stuff inside, as I like to use the lot challenge where they need the indigents to cook. Sometimes the menu lags pretty bad, but it is yet to freeze or crash the game.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    You know, I've never timed it. Now, I'm going to have to pay more attention to this detail. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

Strange thing is, that I also have that lag with the rice cooker, even though it does not have a lot of recipes.

Results after one week on tumblr:
    Both screenshots taken a few minutes ago.
    Also strange that so many (over 20%!) Simmers on tumblr even have lags over a minute o.o
    And here also a lot (~30%) between 10 and 30 seconds.

daf52e275050c59c7b99dd05318f22afa4375696.pnj
    6094b17a46bbb71701045a3329175caae66dfd1c.pnj
    0bbfae8d5d5064c5c563792d2877d7c292a26a77.jpg