Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should previous Sims 1, 2 and 3 be updated to play easily?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 459 Member
    Sadly EA is yet to discover how profitable rereleases really are. Even with their C&C rerelease they did the bare minimum if you compare it to Age of Empires 2: Definitive edition.

People want to play these old games, somehow EA seems to see it as competition for their current games. Does it really matter what sims game we give them money for?

What I would suggest them to do with the previous Sims games would be to not only make them available on the EA app, but also improve their stability since that's the main thing Sims 4 has that the previous games lacked. The previous games kept getting slower with each expansion you installed. So they should work on fixing that and release complete editions of Sims 1 and 2 that have all content in a single purchase.

If they add in some new content and quality of life improvements, they could charge the price of a full game for each without even having to really do much about the graphics.

Like for example in Sims 1 they could add the most basic family tree thing so now Sims could be siblings, lovers or parent to a child, maybe parent to another adult too.
    Maybe add cheats to easily max out all motives too or stuff like that. Just a few quality of life improvements.

For Sims 2 they could add some extra colour swatches, mainly to get more items to match and adding swatches to stuff that did not have any yet, and they could put all clothing in the proper categories. It's silly that there's many clear exercise outfits not available as exercise wear, or outerwear as outerwear.

Just those convenience things could add a lot, if they really want to go nuts with it, they could add colour swatches to clothing too, revise character creation a bit to allow colour swatches in both Sims 1 and 2. For Sims 2 that could really clean up the character creation a lot, no longer seeing the same outfit several times in different colours.

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited January 15
    "While sims 4 is the most recent game in the sims franchise, fans of sims 1, sims 2, and even sims spin offs could be in for good news. Here's the latest speculation and review of a job posting that could mean players eventually have more options than sims 3 or sims 4 (and of course upcoming games like sims, like paralives, life by you, inzoi and other simulation games)."

From Simmer Erin via tip from @RoaringHeights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbYJ25E2484
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    EA did the mass effect trilogy legendary edition so would be great if they did a sims trilogy legendary edition too. The ME legendary edition was well recieved and i don't doubt if they did one for the sims it would be well received also. I played the ME trilogy a while ago and loved it. One of my favourite games. Never played the original so can't compare but it does say the graphics are updated and performance is also updated. And when i played it I didn't encounter any bugs. Not sure if the original was buggy or not.

If they did release this sims legendary edition with all packs for all three games i wonder how much they would sell it for. I mean sims 3 alone has a ton of packs. And I wonder if they would be able to make sims 3 playable with all packs installed. Might be what's holding them back. But i would definitely buy it. Never played the previous games but would love to try them.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    That's up to those who make these games if they want to or not. I'd never use "should" or "should not" be in this context.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,137 Member
    Yes please! :p;)
  • Options
    What if legacy Maxis titles refers to SimCity and Spore, NOT Sims 1-3?

c44d7g07xbog.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Just curious as to why you picked Spore for a possibility?
  • Options
    Because it's one of the most well-known old Maxis games that isn't the Sims.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Ah, okay. I've never heard of it. Just goes to show how much I've been out of gaming for the last several years.
  • Options
    GothangelGothangel Posts: 128 Member
    i plan to play sims 3 if they have new dlc and also plan play sims 3 if not
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 459 Member
    Spore was a huge disappointment to most people, I doubt they would do much with it. EA has some very popular games in their old catalogue that they'd be crazy not to do anything with however. They are sitting on a lot of unused popular IP's outside of the earlier Sims games.

Dungeon Keeper is a very big one.
    We keep seeing other companies trying to make a spiritual successor, but they always fall short. Not even it's own sequel could quite live up to the original which had this beautiful grim fairytale vibe. The sequel and all other copies just got too silly and cartoony.
    And we do not talk about Dungeon Keeper mobile, which embodies pretty much everything a company can do wrong with a sequel.
    If they'd just remaster the first game, keeping its art style but making it fully 3D, add a few monsters and a new room, it would sell like crazy.
    I am honestly surprised they are not using the IP in any other way either, would have been a shoe in to use it's content in Sims Medieval, which does honestly show in parts a similar art style of more classic fantasy.
    They could have used spells, creatures, clothing, etc. from that franchise since it's their legal property.
    Could let our Sims play Dungeon Keeper on their PC too, or Mass Effect, or pretty much anything that's not a sims game or one of their boring sport or race games. I'd like my sims to have a similar taste in gaming as me.
    Could even have posters in the game, objects inspired by it or stuff like that. Or allow vampires to float around on a small cloud like they do in Dungeon Keeper 1, with arms crossed.

Jade Empire is also one that might easily be overlooked.
    One of Bioware's best games, and EA owns the IP. I would not trust them to make a good sequel to it, but they could do a remaster with improved graphics and a bit of extra content.
    With the martial arts and all that, would be easy enough to have some crossover content with the sims too. Like outfits and bringing back martial arts.

Black and White is also a big one.
    Second game did not do as well as the first I think, but both did do pretty well and are games people remember. They could remaster the first one with better graphics, more creatures and other quality of life improvements. Or just do anything with the IP, really.

Honestly, EA should either sell these IP's to other companies that will use them or do something with them, since it's such a waste to just have it locked in their vault.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,218 Member

Spore is still aviable.
  • Options
    edited January 20

Spore is still aviable.

Didn't realize that. Not sure what "legacy Maxis titles" is referring to.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited January 21
    If they remastered TS1 & 2 for PC in a bundle for all of the DLC included, I would buy both in a heartbeat lol. i'd be great if they invested in remastering these games. I do not know why EA chooses to sit on these games and just leave them abandoned when it's obvious that they could make major profit from remastering them all. Also, it would just be great for those who never got the chance to experience those previous games to get the joy of diving into their fun chaos <3
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,218 Member

Spore is still aviable.

Didn't realize that. Not sure what "legacy Maxis titles" is referring to.

Probably The Sims or other sims games.