Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any hope left for Pre-teens?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Now that we know sims 4 will continue along side sims 5 I definitely think there is a bigger chance for preteens!🤗

I agree, it would be a bigger chance it will happen. Since it’s coming so late though the clothing will be so limited. I would actually not be adverse to clothing kits for preteens.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Now that we know sims 4 will continue along side sims 5 I definitely think there is a bigger chance for preteens!🤗

I agree, it would be a bigger chance it will happen. Since it’s coming so late though the clothing will be so limited. I would actually not be adverse to clothing kits for preteens.

I myself would want Preteens introduced with the rainbow/Pastel Decora style that didn't win the CAS kit contest. But for all ages get different rainbow style clothing from newborn to Elder. Preteens will get the majority of the CAS with cute rainbow/pastel also build buy for the bedroom like almost like Lisa Frank but cutesy. But also regular clothes as well and base build and buy.
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    edited October 2023
    I'm a developmental psychologist and I study child and youth development - I'm supposed to be writing a chapter on late childhood right now...

So here's my thoughts.

After infants were introduced, I started playing toddler differently.
    Newborns are 0-1 month old.
    Infants are 2-18 months old.
    Toddlers are 2-6 years old.
    Children are 7-12 years old.
    Teens are 16-19 years old.
    Young Adults are 20-35 years old.
    Middle Adults are 35-60 years old.
    Elders are 60+ years old.

At least from my perception of what they can do in game. I used to play toddlers as just 1-3 year olds, but they genuinely fill the young childhood gap for me. Children are filling the preteen gap for me.

But what's missing? Clearly young adolescents. Our teens are too similar to young adults. Would just a height slider work? The problem with that is young teens don't tend to have as much breast development, muscle development, vocal changes, shoulder and hip width that are represented in current teens. It's not just height.

In terms of game play, how would it be different? Young teens is when puberty starts, with the acne, not teens about to go to their high school prom. Junior high and middle school are the intense bullying years, the years of social gossip, and the years of joining groups and cliques and working on your identity. It's the years of being embarrassed around other kids and starting the rebel. We already have all of that content. I'm honestly stuck on game play that is missing, but visual representation is definitely lacking.
  • Options
    ALazySimmerALazySimmer Posts: 16 Member
    > @mightysprite said:
    > To me the children in TS4 already look and act approx age 10-12, basically preteens except that they can't cook independently.
    >
    > I feel like the lifestage that's missing is the "little kid" stage, like age 6-8.
    >
    > But I think I am in the minority ;)

To me the toddlers in Sims 4 are pretty close to 3-5 years old. And the kids are 8-10ish in my head, they don't feel as old as 12 to me. I do have the pre-teen mod and like it, but I pretty much cut my current teen stage in half as opposed to adding time (preteens are basically the early ages of teen where you are more than a kid, but not quite grown up) and use the shorter teens mod as well, so my pre-teens are shorter than teens but also my teens are just slightly shorter than adults. My "pre-teens" are more early teen while my normal teens are "late teen". I think there's a good transitional difference in my world now.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    edited October 2023
    I’m assuming the toddlers in Sims 4 are 3 to 6 years old. Therefore, I always make them in preschool uniform in their first 5 days
    qhiwwAD.jpg
    … and elementary school uniform in the 6-7 days
    jkJQgRM.jpg

I have downloaded a mod to give the children preteen-like body. I will use this starting from their 7th to 12th day.

TDztxd4.jpg
    See the difference between the black skirt girl and her sister in pink dress

Of course I have preteen mod. This mod is amazing. Hope the team can make this life stage comes true.
  • Options
    I'm a developmental psychologist and I study child and youth development - I'm supposed to be writing a chapter on late childhood right now...

So here's my thoughts.

At least from my perception of what they can do in game. I used to play toddlers as just 1-3 year olds, but they genuinely fill the young childhood gap for me. Children are filling the preteen gap for me.

But what's missing? Clearly young adolescents. Our teens are too similar to young adults. Would just a height slider work? The problem with that is young teens don't tend to have as much breast development, muscle development, vocal changes, shoulder and hip width that are represented in current teens. It's not just height.

In terms of game play, how would it be different? Young teens is when puberty starts, with the acne, not teens about to go to their high school prom. Junior high and middle school are the intense bullying years, the years of social gossip, and the years of joining groups and cliques and working on your identity. It's the years of being embarrassed around other kids and starting the rebel. We already have all of that content. I'm honestly stuck on game play that is missing, but visual representation is definitely lacking.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the kids portraying as Preteens if it weren't for growing together ep I would have sort of agreed but since Sims added tooth loss to the child Lifestage they appear younger to me, because I remember losing teeth at 5,6 and maybe 7 but I don't remember losing teeth at 10-13. I Agree do remember starting puberty aka learning heavily what deodorant was and lotions and perfume around 11 also I myself personally agree I think the bullying was severe around preteen age moreso then highschool do I want to implement bullying in game no way. I remember wanting to hang out with more friends and my peers then hang out with mom. Being a little independent staying at home by myself for a couple of hours, cooking little stuff. Washing clothes. Preteens I feel like are starting to come to know or shape who they are like are friends from grade school still friends because they might like different stuff whereas Teens might have a good sense of knowing and shaping who they are even further. I feel like preteens will have more mood swings irritated, annoyed, instead of flirting it's crushing. Also not be bf or gf but like a puppy love like holding hands, hugging, kiss on cheek, chaperone date.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »

So here's my thoughts.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the kids portraying as Preteens if it weren't for growing together ep I would have sort of agreed but since Sims added tooth loss to the child Lifestage they appear younger to me, because I remember losing teeth at 5,6 and maybe 7 but I don't remember losing teeth at 10-13. I Agree do remember starting puberty aka learning heavily what deodorant was and lotions and perfume around 11 also I myself personally agree I think the bullying was severe around preteen age moreso then highschool do I want to implement bullying in game no way. I remember wanting to hang out with more friends and my peers then hang out with mom. Being a little independent staying at home by myself for a couple of hours, cooking little stuff. Washing clothes. Preteens I feel like are starting to come to know or shape who they are like are friends from grade school still friends because they might like different stuff whereas Teens might have a good sense of knowing and shaping who they are even further. I feel like preteens will have more mood swings irritated, annoyed, instead of flirting it's crushing. Also not be bf or gf but like a puppy love like holding hands, hugging, kiss on cheek, chaperone date.

Just like phases, I think the toddlers should face loosing teeth at the late term of todderhood
    I lost my first incisor at 5, and got my final premolar lost at 12
    Before GrT was released, I thought the team was clever enough to set the teeth lost according to us...

I'm not sure if preteens like to flirt others...I was studying in girl's college from 4 to 17 years old. However, some people say the girls and boys don't have good relationship at the age of 8 to 10...
  • Options
    Arca wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »

So here's my thoughts.

Just like phases, I think the toddlers should face loosing teeth at the late term of todderhood
    I lost my first incisor at 5, and got my final premolar lost at 12
    Before GrT was released, I thought the team was clever enough to set the teeth lost according to us...

I'm not sure if preteens like to flirt others...I was studying in girl's college from 4 to 17 years old. However, some people say the girls and boys don't have good relationship at the age of 8 to 10...

8-10 are not Preteen? 10-12 or 13 is. Also I didn't say flirting but having a crush like teens but like puppy love type. I'm sorry but to me a 5 year old is not a toddler 2,3 and 4 is.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    @Arca your toddlers are adorable! 😊
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I don't know if we'll get preteens or not. I also don't need if we need it in game. I've played infants since we got those in March of this year and idk what it really adds in terms of gameplay. It's another lifestage where we don't get a lot of CAS or gameplay to do. Like the last 2 packs (Horse Ranch EP and Home Chef Hustle SP) only added 1 CAS item for infants and no gameplay at all. Infants cannot cook (obviously lol) but they also can't interact with mini sheep, mini goat, or horses. Toddlers can only do a little bit. Also no new infant furniture (with the exception of what came with Growing Together).

If tweens are added, I'd like to see some gameplay come with them and them to be included when it comes to CAS/BB in future packs. Will tweens be able to use the active high school from High School Years? Will they have unique social interactions?
  • Options
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I don't know if we'll get preteens or not. I also don't need if we need it in game. I've played infants since we got those in March of this year and idk what it really adds in terms of gameplay. It's another lifestage where we don't get a lot of CAS or gameplay to do. Like the last 2 packs (Horse Ranch EP and Home Chef Hustle SP) only added 1 CAS item for infants and no gameplay at all. Infants cannot cook (obviously lol) but they also can't interact with mini sheep, mini goat, or horses. Toddlers can only do a little bit. Also no new infant furniture (with the exception of what came with Growing Together).

If tweens are added, I'd like to see some gameplay come with them and them to be included when it comes to CAS/BB in future packs. Will tweens be able to use the active high school from High School Years? Will they have unique social interactions?

I myself personally would want them to have unique social interactions like how teenagers wave hi I would like preteens to a cute lil wave as well. Like have a crush icon like the love icon of that makes sense. Tantrums like stomping feet, up the stairs, slamming everything.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    plumboy23 wrote: »
    Sorry to say this, pre teens are not gonna happen
    You can't say this with certainty no one knows how long Sims 4 is going to continue it has many years to come and is not stopping when Project Rene is released. They have now added 2 life stages and released packs to sell must have content for them the same can be done with preteens it is great hype for the game and a huge must for family players like me. To say never is so weird this is not other Sims games that last 4 years they need to up the game to keep interest going.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    gbaisdengbaisden Posts: 95 Member
    Ok, I don't want a full life stage. I didn't want infants. We have so many lifestages and don't get me started on infants. I skip that stage altogether just because every adult in the house wants to help the baby, meanwhile, the baby is starving to death and stinky and nothing gets done. All they do is walk around in circles while I'm trying not to get the baby taken. It needs fixed! At least the highchair works properly now.

Maybe some sort of transition into a tween. The teens look like adults in my opinion which doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    Areeds23Areeds23 Posts: 22 Member
    I want preteens, but they need to be different in some way than teens. I feel like they would come with an education pack or a pack that has a middle school or junior high with it. I personally would love a pack that has boarding school where kids, preteens and teens can go to with various social cliques like the nerds, jocks, rebels, theater people etc. or a class rank system where it tells you what place you are at in the school like if you are the number #1 student in the school. I would also like more activities like spray painting the school building, teepeeing a house with toilet paper, plays and musicals being performed etc. This probably is wishful thinking, but who knows!
  • Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    I wonder... would preteens reuse child/teen cas assets (adjusted to their size) or get new ones?
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
    Perti23Perti23 Posts: 61 Member
    To me the children in TS4 already look and act approx age 10-12, basically preteens except that they can't cook independently.

I feel like the lifestage that's missing is the "little kid" stage, like age 6-8.

But I think I am in the minority ;)

I completely agree! I think a new life stage is very unlikely, but if we were to get one, I would very much prefer preschoolers over preteens.
  • Options
    kusurusu wrote: »
    I wonder... would preteens reuse child/teen cas assets (adjusted to their size) or get new ones?

I would have to say they would be a little taller than child but adjust to the size, also the clothing to me since Rainbow core lost to goth core I would like that style clothing be introduced along with Preteens jmo.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Maxis could decide to add Preteen as a phase of the childhood, a transition to teenage.

And also Preschooler phase, Toddler ready to go to school.

Pre-School could effectively be done now. All a child has to be is Potty trained in order to get into Pre-School. The range of toddler is 1-4.

I would love middle school age kids (12,13,14) simply to counter the jarring leap from Child to very tall. Even if that age only lasts three days. EA could have saved themselves all of this whining had they made Teens slightly shorter than YA/Adults with the addition of them gaining the rest of their height upon aging to YA.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 46 Member
    I think it would be great to add this life stage, it would make for better game play and more realism for sure. This could be the awkward time when kids start going through changes, hormones, acne, developing breasts, start crushes, boys taking extra long in the bathroom ;) lol
    Though I do think there are much more important things needed in the game, like better ability to control sims without having to completely turn off their free will and better build options.
  • Options
    Maxis could decide to add Preteen as a phase of the childhood, a transition to teenage.

And also Preschooler phase, Toddler ready to go to school.

Pre-School could effectively be done now. All a child has to be is Potty trained in order to get into Pre-School. The range of toddler is 1-4.

I would love middle school age kids (12,13,14) simply to counter the jarring leap from Child to very tall. Even if that age only lasts three days. EA could have saved themselves all of this whining had they made Teens slightly shorter than YA/Adults with the addition of them gaining the rest of their height upon aging to YA.

With me personally the teens could have been shorter but I still would want a preteen lifestage because I recognized Preteens as a Lifestage and it's needed in game. I myself wanted Preteens since Sims 2 and the teens were shorter in that game.
  • Options
    LucaslovesgamesLucaslovesgames Posts: 58 Member
    I definitely still think so especially that we got infants, we need a life stage between Children and Teens to fill the gap, Pre Teens are really needed in The Sims 4 and should be a base game update.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I would never turn down more gameplay but I feel like there are things the Devs team could be doing that would have more substance to them than programming the two years that make up 'pre-teens'. Occult stages, cars, burgulars...
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    It's not impossible, but unlikely.Toddleres were added because the up roar .The strangeness of big leap from baby to child.

Infants were added because babise were stuck in a bassinet.
    Both life stages were added because of the game lacking in the stages.

Preteens or earlier teens could come because of the tall teen complaint.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's not impossible, but unlikely.Toddleres were added because the up roar .The strangeness of big leap from baby to child.

Maybe if gameplay was added to Teens themselves that symbolised the events of pre-teen - you don't need a completely new stage, just more gameplay to take place shortly after a child becomes a teen.

Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »

Maybe if gameplay was added to Teens themselves that symbolised the events of pre-teen - you don't need a completely new stage, just more gameplay to take place shortly after a child becomes a teen.

To me the teens act more mature I was banking on Highschool Years to differentiate teens and ya it kind of did it with a little gameplay but like how I would've liked highschool years to work have teens thinking about their future either going to either universities or getting a career or just not. Also the drama because what's highschool without drama, a game like in Sims 3 and in DU. Getting scholarships, learning to drive thinking vechiles were coming lol.

I want Preteens to add to the lifestage I never expected infants to come into game also I explained a lot of gameplay in these threads for what I from Preteens Sims people agree some disagree up to them but we all just don't know if and how or when they put them in game or not at all.