The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Apocalypse Challenge! Adapted for The Sims 3!

Comments

• Options
    GinjGinj Posts: 126 Member
    edited December 2009
    Welcome, Wicked Knight. May I warn you that this challenge is habit-forming and making a story of it still more so? That said, Chapter 12 of the Varland saga is available at http://ginj-varlandstory.blogspot.com

Happy Christmas, all!

mysig_945249258.jpg
  • Options
    StrwberriSherbetStrwberriSherbet Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2009
    hi iv started the apocalypse challenge, and i was wondering about some of the rules.

- in the Symphonic (Music)Restriction, it states that a sim cannot use the mirror to "check self out" or "gussy up". i was wondering if my Snob sim can still 'admire self' as this gives him a positive moodlet, or is this against the rules?

- also in compliance with the Culinary restriction, I have been preparing a group meal (for a single sim) and putting the leftovers in the fridge for later and for later days. Is this allowed?

Your advice is appreciated as I would like to complete the challenge fairly,
    x
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited December 2009
    Snob Sims cannot admire themselves in the mirror. The reason for this is that Snobby Sims are very finnicky about their appearance and since their appearances are less than attractive in this challenge, they wouldn't exactly admire themselves. (I had a snobby founder Sim for my Legacy Challenge and I'd imagine she'd scream and faint if she saw herself in a mirror in the Apocalypse Challenge, heh heh. Oh, Marylee...)

Cooking a meal and storing it in the fridge is perfectly within the rules. You can have as much food in the fridge as you like, as long as you only cook one meal a day.
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Can I expand on the food question? Something else I've been puzzling over... It's ok to fish and cook your catch.. it's only 'plumbed' water that's been affected? .. The rules also say you cant eat / cook any fruit or veg so what meals are we allowed to prepare until we get relative restrictions lifted? Maybe I'm just being a bit too critical lol!
  • Options
    Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited December 2009
    I've seen some other people fishing but I chose not to in my game as I didn't think it fitted the mood of the story. As for what they eat - hot dogs. Lots and lots and lots and lots of hot dogs. I'm on my fourth gen of hot dog lovers. They keep rolling wishes to make hot dogs now, which tickles me.

As for CAW I think it should be an optional rule; I'm finding the tool difficult to use and I imagine so will many others. It'd look great though.

• Options
    juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    edited December 2009
    Thanks to the latest patch screwing up my game, I've lost my challenge. After being able to play the game pretty much flawlessly since day one, the patch caused really annoying graphical glitches. Things were flickering all over the place. My drivers and all that jazz were updated. So I ended up uninstalling and found the patches to download individually so that I could update my game back to the previous working patch. Everything is playable again, no flickering or other problems.

I had made backups but my game had gotten so messed up and I had ended up uninstalling a few times. And instead of "copying" the original backup into the folders, my laptop cuts/pastes when you drag and drop apparently. My work computer makes copies when you do this and I always forget. So when I went to uninstall and reinstall for the final time, I had to remake the backup files. And in doing so, I lost my challenge because my new "backup" had been played and saved under the newest patch.

I AM SO ****** OFF! haha I had unlocked nearly half of the restrictions!! I just don't know if I have it in me to start over. I suppose if they patch the patch and that works for me, I might be able to pick it back up again then?

Ugh.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Have been trying to make an apocalypse sunset valley... Placing lots in CAW is evil sometimes... It refuses to let me put the grocery store / theatre / bookstore in a line as it is in the original town for example...

I may just change locations for the community lots and some residential and just blame the relocations on 'rebuilding'.

-ponders-
  • Options
    orangeplumboborangeplumbob Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited December 2009
    Have been trying to make an apocalypse sunset valley... Placing lots in CAW is evil sometimes... It refuses to let me put the grocery store / theatre / bookstore in a line as it is in the original town for example...

I may just change locations for the community lots and some residential and just blame the relocations on 'rebuilding'.

-ponders-

Wicked go into a Sunset Valley save that you have and in edit town click on the community lot with the store/theatre/bookstore and bin it. Then in CAW put that bin lot inside the new desert Sunset Valley. Or make it then in game place the lot where it should be.

• Options
    edited December 2009
    I'll give that a try, thanks Orange.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can cook fish you caught yourself. My reasoning is that it's plausible that some breeds of fish have mutated to survive in the new environment (think the three-eyed fish from The Simpsons).

No vegetable/fruit cooking or eating. Ever. No harvesting, no cooking and certainly no eating. There is no plant life in this challenge. It's just a deadened desert.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great update, Rad! Here's the latest in the Varland saga:

http://ginj-varlandstory.blogspot.com

mysig_945249258.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I will read Apocalypse Challenges again once I get this monster of a Legacy Chapter finished. ;)
  • Options
    chocolateaddic100chocolateaddic100 Posts: 3,048 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I have a few concerns about this challenge. Youve done a great job adapting it and everything, but i have the WA expansion and i would like to know if we could use basements in our stories, like an underground bunker. And is it, seeing as it is underground outside the rules of the politics restriction or does that rule apply for that as well. And can we use tomb objects like the the tomb hole to hide the staircases to the basement. And one more thing. does the military restriction apply to taveling as well? Airports in chaos, that sort of thing? :?:
    Someone tell me cause im really confused. :?:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have a few concerns about this challenge. Youve done a great job adapting it and everything, but i have the WA expansion and i would like to know if we could use basements in our stories, like an underground bunker. And is it, seeing as it is underground outside the rules of the politics restriction or does that rule apply for that as well. And can we use tomb objects like the the tomb hole to hide the staircases to the basement. And one more thing. does the military restriction apply to taveling as well? Airports in chaos, that sort of thing? :?:
    Someone tell me cause im really confused. :?:

Chocolateaddic100,

The politics restriction on the first page states:
    "Sims may extend the house underground within the 8x8 area. "
    So I'd assume basements are allowed. Just keep in mind the 'ground level' can't have walls only fences and your stairs leading up/down have to be within the 8x8 area.

As far as travelling goes, I'd say you can't travel till you have military lifted at the very least. The only reason I say that is if you can't travel outside of your lot around town then you can't travel out of town to the airport. That doesn't tie in to well with your sims owning a car though. Still, travelling should be very difficult to accomplish if at all in my opinion. When your sim goes away they have access to so much and on top of that they don't age. May make the challenge far too easy.

Just my thoughts... I'd wait for a definative ruling from Ashleigh or one of the more knowlegable regulars of the thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, IMHO (and take it with an entire *shaker* of salt, since I don't even *have* WA)...I'd say that basements are fine, since they weren't banned from Sims3 if one could manage to build one but travel should wait for military and probably journalism (since I'd assume one misses work during travel) and special agent for elders and children without 10 athletic.

mysig_945249258.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Since I don't have WA yet, I'm unable to update the challenge to encompass the EP, but I will once I get WA and have had a chance to play through it.

Basements are still allowed with WA, as long as the basement doesn't exceed the 8x8 area until you lift the Politics restriction. It also cannot have any walls on the ground level, though fences and gates are okay to have.

Travelling cannot happen until you lift both the Journalism and Military restrictions. Military forbids leaving your lot for anything other than work or school, or to visit friends/lovers IF you have a car. Journalism forbids you from missing work unless you're pregnant in which case you don't receive maternity leave pay. Going away to different countries breaks both those restrictions.

As for special WA objects that aren't merely clutter objects, like tomb holes and whatnot, I'm going to say those aren't allowed for now, just because I don't know what kind of advantage those items might give a player. That may change once I can play the game for myself and see, though.

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    fireflier75fireflier75 Posts: 99 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I am hoping the creative simmers within our community will be sharing worlds that are suitable for this challenge.

I havwe found a cool possible world if only the world creator wasn't so buggy. I am having to much difficulty getting the CaW to upload the world into the game or even edit in game. Hoping the bug free version of CaW comes out soon. They need to update the game again I think this last update really messed up my game.

Here is the link: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/153540.page
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wicked, Chocolate and Fireflier, will you be putting up stories of your apocalypse challenges?

Chapter 14 of the Varland saga is up at http://ginj-varlandstory.blogspot.com

mysig_945249258.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ginj wrote:
    Wicked, Chocolate and Fireflier, will you be putting up stories of your apocalypse challenges?

Chapter 14 of the Varland saga is up at http://ginj-varlandstory.blogspot.com

Yes if I ever get around to starting it.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Ginj, your sims are doing so well! Bet you're so glad to have lifted medical at last (but comiserations on the deaths).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Medical is a wonderful one to have lifted; I'd really hoped to do it first generation. You've lifted just about everything except science, gardening and business, haven't you? What are you going to do when you finish this challenge?

mysig_945249258.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Science, gardening, business, cooking, journalism... though some of those are underway as you know.

I have another legacy on the go as well as this, and I'll probably spend some time getting to grips with CAW after I finish the Lazaruses. I'll take on another challenge of some sort but not just yet, as I want to learn the new tool.

Update 4.1 should be here tonight or tomorrow, but then I'm away so it'll probably be the middle of next week before 4.2.

• Options
    fireflier75fireflier75 Posts: 99 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I will if i ever get past the birth if gen two. For some odd reason I keep deleting the family after the birth of gen two. With that new world being made by Tzmsims I plan on trying the challenge again.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    New Lazarus Dispatches update:

4.1 A New Vision