The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone ever made the big penthouse lot in city living into retail lot?

I was just wondering if you can make the big penthouse lot in city living into a large 2 or 3 story retail lot? I wasn’t sure if it had to remain residential or if you can actually make it a retail lot.

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,518 Member
    edited November 2023
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you can make the big penthouse lot in city living into a large 2 or 3 story retail lot? I wasn’t sure if it had to remain residential or if you can actually make it a retail lot.

As far as I know these lots can be changed into any lot type you want. I have had a dorm, a rental, a restaurant and a bar on a penthouse lot. I see no reason why it can't be a retail.

Edit: I just read that the new residential rentals can't be used on penthouses. This is the first restriction I know off.

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,211 Member
    edited November 2023
    Yes, they can be retail lots. The penthouse in the Fashion District (far left side of the map) is a functional android store in my game, and before that, I had a restaurant there.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 555 Member
    I think one of the penthouse lots is already non-residential (there's a penthouse lounge or bar in the uptown/business area). So I think they can take almost any lot type, but sadly not the new residential rentals.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,721 Member
    If you refer to the penthouse at Fashion District, I have a Duke residing there. Their estate covers 2 floors. Never had any trouble playing the lot, but need to get used to slightly different "moving about as Watcher", because gravity feels a tad different up there. I think you can adjust everything except outer walls. I kept the elevator where it used to be, but I think it can be placed anywhere on the entrance floor.

If you ask because of the upcoming For Rent pack, it was confirmed in a recent Q&A that we can not build rental units in those San Myshuno penthouses.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,014 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

As far as I know these lots can be changed into any lot type you want. I have had a dorm, a rental, a restaurant and a bar on a penthouse lot. I see no reason why it can't be a retail.

Edit: I just read that the new residential rentals can't be used on penthouses. This is the first restriction I know off.

Yeah, I read that too, actually watched a video where they talked about it. I want to make a big retail store out of the big penthouse. Glad to know that won’t be restricted. I wanted to find out before I moved my family out of there. Mentioning rental, now you have me wondering if we can change a dorm or student housing to a rental instead.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,014 Member
    If you refer to the penthouse at Fashion District, I have a Duke residing there. Their estate covers 2 floors. Never had any trouble playing the lot, but need to get used to slightly different "moving about as Watcher", because gravity feels a tad different up there. I think you can adjust everything except outer walls. I kept the elevator where it used to be, but I think it can be placed anywhere on the entrance floor.

If you ask because of the upcoming For Rent pack, it was confirmed in a recent Q&A that we can not build rental units in those San Myshuno penthouses.

Yeah, I changed stuff around a bit when I moved the Langrabbs in there in my main save, but I plan to move them out and make a mini mall out of it, and have some activities, maybe a small arcade, not completely sure what type of retail stores yet. I was kind of hoping they’d come out with a mall lot before I did that, but I don’t think they will soon.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Yeah, I read that too, actually watched a video where they talked about it. I want to make a big retail store out of the big penthouse. Glad to know that won’t be restricted. I wanted to find out before I moved my family out of there. Mentioning rental, now you have me wondering if we can change a dorm or student housing to a rental instead.

Technically the dorm buildings in DU function like penthouses in CL. You can change the lot type and freely build on them but require an elevator. I was able to turn the foxbury dorm into a bar (for testing) and played at least 2 terms in a dorm on a penthouse lot in San mychuno. I expect the dorms in britechester to follow the same rules as the penthouses in San mychuno. A rental lot, to go on holiday, should work but a residential rental with multiple units probably won't.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,611 Member
    In my game, the fashion district penthouse is a huge spa.