Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Gameplay Trailer

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I was momentarily excited when they showed "unit rules". The possibilities! But then it looked as if there were only five that we can only switch on or off and that come with pre-defined fines. Meh. I'll still enforce my custom unit rules, but it would have been nice to let the game automate the process.

On the upside, the rent being given in a "per day" figure makes me hope for daily bills. That would be amazing for my irregular rotations!
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    Was it me or this trailer was really empty? Why call this a gameplay trailer when there's no gameplay in it?
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I was momentarily excited when they showed "unit rules". The possibilities! But then it looked as if there were only five that we can only switch on or off and that come with pre-defined fines. Meh. I'll still enforce my custom unit rules, but it would have been nice to let the game automate the process.

On the upside, the rent being given in a "per day" figure makes me hope for daily bills. That would be amazing for my irregular rotations!

I assume there will be other rules from other packs if you own them. I would be shocked if they haven't added No Cats/No Dogs/No Pets rules, for example.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I like what I saw (although I wish they'd shown more), buuuuutttt... dang, these new systems are totally going to break the game. I wonder whether it'll even be safe to install the pre-release update as soon as it comes out. I'll be hanging back to see what happens to everyone else first. :)
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    plumboy23 wrote: »
    Was it me or this trailer was really empty? Why call this a gameplay trailer when there's no gameplay in it?

They said it would be only to show off the landlord system.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    OH WAIT

The simlish at the beginning also had a different accent from usual simlish

Does this mean we are getting different accents of simlish now????? that would be incredible

or was it just part of the voice acting for the trailer?

I've been wanting new Sim accents for years. Back when Batuu released, I had hoped we'd get the English accent that Rey has, but...alas. It would be such a great addition to the game to have a variety of new Simlish voice choices in different accents! Plus, the three choices per gender we've had for nine years have grown a little stale for me after playing like, 200+ Sims, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member

I mean, considering that main feature is to build our own apartments and becoming a landlord if you own one, there wasn't much to show since I think they're saving the other stuff for the SimGuru livestream. But yeah, they could've at least show off other aspects of the pack in a way. 🫠
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »

They said it would be only to show off the landlord system.

Oh, didn't know that! Ok, I hope this is not all
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    OH WAIT

Does this mean we are getting different accents of simlish now????? that would be incredible

I noticed this too! That would be awesome but I assume it was just for the trailer. That would be a lot of work.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options

I guess it depends on how you define gameplay 😌.
    Because using the rental features is playing the game. And it seems there is a LOT to it so it took up the whole trailer. We will see more in the livestream.
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »
    OH WAIT

I've been wanting new Sim accents for years. Back when Batuu released, I had hoped we'd get the English accent that Rey has, but...alas. It would be such a great addition to the game to have a variety of new Simlish voice choices in different accents! Plus, the three choices per gender we've had for nine years have grown a little stale for me after playing like, 200+ Sims, lol.

Yeah more voices and accents would be a dream!
    I was disappointed about that Batu one as well.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited November 2023
    I understood the narrator just fine. I am happy that they used the voice of someone that may be from Thailand instead of another perky American voice to please the masses. Anytime you have to say not to be rude/harsh/offensive, you’re being just that. 🙄

Agree I had absolutely no problem following what they said. I don't agree about the part of "another perky american voice" though. :)

And as MightySprite said there is an option for closed caption if you have a problem understanding. Looking forward to this pack.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I think the trailer answered lots of questions about being a landlord.

But it's left me wanting to know more about being a tenant, living in the new world, and about animal sanctuaries.
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    I really liked this trailer, I understood the voices and it gave a lot of information about being a landlord. They could make more like this before For Rent releases.
    A tour guide encouraging us to visit Tomarang, by showing us around town would be good.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Loved the trailer, saw some beautiful furniture and small glimpses of the new world. One of the pictures showed a dragon boat, hope they add a functioning one to the game that 8 sims can ride together. Would have loved to see something about the sanctuary and botanical gardens. Didn't have any issues with the voiceover, but at times he sounded Gru from the Minions. :lol:
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I understood the narrator just fine. I am happy that they used the voice of someone that may be from Thailand instead of another perky American voice to please the masses. Anytime you have to say not to be rude/harsh/offensive, you’re being just that. 🙄

Agreed. I have a very standard American accent myself-- and declining middle aged hearing!-- but I did not have any trouble whatsoever understanding anything he said.

Aside from that, the trailer really underscored for me how much I absolutely love CAS and B/B for this pack. I don't feel like I learned that much from this trailer, but, it was a nice little glimpse, and the livestream will be here soon enough.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,676 Member
    I liked this a lot. I understood most of the audio but focused mostly on the subtitles. The landlord system seems a bit deeper than I expected, those settings looked great.

I worry though if we can mostly use this unit split feature if the landlord lives in one of the units? I was planning for a landlord to own rental units on other lots, even in other worlds. Now I worry that might not be an option unless the owner resides the lot, too?

I recall a guru said there are many ways to play and that we don't need to play a certain role landlord/tenant, so hoping there is still more ways than shown in this trailer. I need a bit more info before I order. Tomarang looks wonderful!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited November 2023
    The landlord system looks very, very promising. If the pack isn't overridden by bugs, it could be a great pack.

EDIT: "The more renters you attract" bit has me concerned though. I do NOT care about attracting random NPCs for renting. I just want my own custom sims to rent to. I hope we can individually select the sims we can rent to.

EDIT x2: At around @ 0:50 mark in the video...are two apartments sharing the same bathroom in that video? Is that a thing in Thailand/other places? That seems like a goof to me.
  • Options
    VyollaVyolla Posts: 77 Member
    edited November 2023
    Hmm. Going back and re-watching the clip several times. It doesn't show that we could add our own Sims to a unit.. it just shows what looks like could be NPCs, or townies, there's no information.. just like "elder/young adult" and how many bathrooms bedrooms, etc. So, I hope we'll have the options in CAS .. or maybe we'll have to add them to the family and then just.. put them into their own units and just add more members to the household and then just keep putting them in their own units.. which.. will seem odd if they didn't consider that we'd want to create our own Sims to put into Units.. but it did mention "closer", so I'm confused and think I'll definitely have to see a live-stream of how it actually works.

Feel the trailer left me with even more questions than answers, lol.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2023
    I can't understand accents very well but that's on me, not them. Captions is the answer! :) I think YT auto generates them even if the person uploading the video doesn't provide them. It's mostly accurate. In this case, I assume EA pays someone to make their captions.

A lot to process in this trailer. I'll need to slow it down to get a better understanding of the new apartment system if I'm going to start building for this pack. Still not sure if every unit needs essentials if there's a shared community space with a bathroom and kitchen. Exact reason I need to watch it few more times. :blush:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I could be completely wrong, but I think you can choose your tenants in a roundabout way. Here's the scenario I'm picturing (using the Auntie as an example)

You create a household with your sim, your sims parents, and a stranger. (Just move them into the house). Then you convert your house into a residential rental. Select the box for "home unit" which gives your sim their own space, Give your parents their own "unit" and charge them zero and the stranger their own "unit" and charge them what you want.

I do think I need to see more, but the basic gist to me is that you can do it that way for rentals where you control the landlord.
  • Options
    ValravnWitchValravnWitch Posts: 91 Member
    I honestly wouldnt mind it if they made all voice overs in simlish, cause I never care what they say anyway...since most of it is unimportant.

Anywho...liked what I saw about building/defining the units, looks good.
    Like many others I am still curious how we choose the tenants tho, I hope it'll be easy to control who lives where.

• Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I found the trailer very interesting and loved the voice over. I used the closed caption on you tube. There is a lot to break down with this trailer and I have watched it three times once with Pixelade and Lilsimsie, then twice on my own. I am going to watch it again slowing it down and doing a stop motion. I just notice the mini fridge (time mark 4:40) other than what we have from uni that I did not notice earlier today. I have been wanting mini fridges for so long.

I do want to see how the label system works the unit configuration, the trailer did show clicking on defining the shared spaces, who is living in the apartment etc like the Auntie Thi in the example and the color coding is nice. The detail is there in the configuration and set up of the apartment.
    Then the tenant agreement part is where you manage your rental lot. Set the rent per day, your lease length, amenities, how well you maintain your rental i.e. are you a good manager or not so good, do you allow parties, children, setting rules etc., is your unit occupied, This is so cool. I think this shows a lot of promise for game play. Will you be a demanding land owner or nice??
    Then you get to pick your fill vacancy. Your tenants. You get to look at their budget, do they have children.

I thought the build buy was looking really great. I love the kettle, a slim line dishwasher, nice shelves ( I cannot tell if they have space to place objects/clutter), looks like new kitchen counters/cabinets? A new grill, recipes, the instant pot/pressure cooker. I love the release of the lanterns that is so pretty. I think the world look beautiful.

The part where you can repo your tenants stuff if they don't pay on time is kinda neat if you want to play the mean manager. Or do you want to be nice and give them a break??

There are some really pretty new items coming plants, wall decor etc. Overall I am super excited for this EP and really did enjoy the trailer a lot. I thought it was funny to watch, loved the voice over and would not mind if they used this concept again.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    That was very interesting, but I have a lot of questions - the biggest being the one I'm seeing already here - how do tenants work exactly? Is it like assigning an NPC household to a lot (only assigning them to a unit)? Are they even actually NPC households (or are they somehow part of the played household)?

Other questions I'm left with (mostly because I don't new "obvious") ...

Can you have NPC landlords?
    Can you have a multi-unit lot populated entirely by NPCs?
    Can you have "absentee" landlords (which is to say a landlord who lives on another lot entirely)?

This expansion has a lot of potential and I'm excited to learn more.

Oh and I didn't have any problem with the audio track.

It will probably work like apartments in Myshuno. You move your sim into one of the units then npcs move into the remainders afterward. You can then move another one of your households in and the npc is booted out.