Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

9/12 BTS Rene Reveal Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I can’t imagine myself playing two sims games at once, lol, but since it’s free, I’ll probably check it out. I like that weather will be included in the base game.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I don't see where everyone is getting that weather will be a base game feature. Lyndsay clearly says that weather being in the base game is a theoretical example. Basic weather is probably gonna be behind a paywall with another paywall behind it that leads to the microtransaction hellscap3 that is detailed gameplay.

It's true, she was less than definite with her verb choice. But there is a reason she used that example, mainly because on the forums the most frequently stated wish (okay a little less, but it is common) is to have seasons/weather in the base game. Though I should state, she did not specify Seasons in the Base game, just weather. I imagine to have the variety that seasons provide you would still need one (or more) of the many seasonal activities packs.

If EA went back on it now, Especially since EA won't be the only one selling this type of game anymore, I imagine it would go bad. Though I don't like them chopping more packs up into more useless little tidbits, going back on your word is a definite way to lose customers.

More telling to me is that I think she said Early Access. She said it quickly and it was soon jumped past, but Early Access games are shipped less than complete. Sims 4 was not early access, but it still lacked many features. How much will Sims 5 Project Rene lack when it gets released?
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,205 Member
    edited September 2023
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    I posted my reaction to the trailer elsewhere - it's not for me, I'll leave it at that. My question is, in the context of seeing players comment on family friendly-ness, with this multiplayer thing, and the younger market being the obvious focus - how will that work? Will it be like Stardew or Minecraft, invite only games/servers? What about mods which could be adult? A game aimed at 12 year olds with random multiplayer is a bit sketch seeming and I hope they're just not phrasing it really well. I have quite a few years experience in MMOs/multiplayer games - there's a lot of weirdos out there, even sometimes when those weirdos are your friends. I wonder how this will go over with parents (let's face it, aiming a game a children is aiming it at parents and their wallets).

I agree with this. Let's face it, no matter how positive your outlook is, there are going to be friendships that break down, arguments that happen, and people with less than ethical intentions. When this happens, Sims and builds will be in the mix. Imagine two players arguing over who built a building, or who gets to keep a sim. EA and their Guru's will be the only ones to resolve this. I don't think they have it in them, honest.

I mean the only way to invite someone one if it's your friend.I understand the concern maybe thry will have safe gaurds.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    Interesting changes, not sure how I will like it, I need to see actual gameplay and have more information before I even try to form a real opinion. The fact it will be free to download at least gives me the option to try it before buying anything, which I wish they had done with Sims 4 when it was first released. I would have waited until much later in its life cycle before purchasing. I love the game now, but it was a severe disappointment when it first came out. As for playing multiple Sims games at one time, I already do that. I have Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4 on my pc and play them all regularly.
  • Options
    CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member

I agree with this. Let's face it, no matter how positive your outlook is, there are going to be friendships that break down, arguments that happen, and people with less than ethical intentions. When this happens, Sims and builds will be in the mix. Imagine two players arguing over who built a building, or who gets to keep a sim. EA and their Guru's will be the only ones to resolve this. I don't think they have it in them, honest.

Yup, even ignoring the possibility of creepers out there, I have seen kids absolutely lose it over Minecraft servers when one friend decides to take over or go wild and break things. Also, disparity in packs/mods or some players using hacks. I guess Stardew Valley style co-op could work, with limited people allowed in (4 is the limit in Stardew) and they need to either be in the same room or have a code and one person controls the save/mods. Just "invite your friends" as Lyndsey put it seems too much like SimCity 2013 and that was a bad time.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,130 Member
    I've noticed they never mentioned how much PC Storage it uses up. Also, I'm not impressed that it's Online only. No thank you. :(:s
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    It kind of feels like they may have gotten a lot of feedback from existing players that they weren’t overwhelmingly interested in multiplayer, subscription based games and are adapting to that. Like this isn’t Sims 5, which would totally be something y’all would be more interested in, this is something else to play with your school friends until we get a feel for our new competition and make something that existing simmers would be more interested in for Sims 5.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,021 Member
    edited September 2023
    I didn’t like the livestream. It felt more catered towards children than teens. I think everyone had too much sugar!

It was good to see SimGuru Graham! 😊

I definitely like the fact cupcakes can be cooked in the oven! I’ve never used that giant machine once!

I love the stuff pack the best.

I can see the sense in keeping Sims 4 running whilst the new game builds up.

I’m hoping in Rene you secure an apartment in a block. Other players are in the others and you can choose who to interact with. Hopefully there’s a way to distinguish the friends you want to play with. Maybe different colours or something? Perhaps a hat or t-shirt or bracelet you can choose.
    Or maybe exchange in-game friendship bracelets? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

It will be interesting to see how they intend to make DLC different. They mentioned packs. Packs could be big or small. A winter sports pack might be bigger than a snowman building competition. It sounds good but will the best activities be locked for purchase?

My only fear is this: The base game couch provides minimal comfort. Buy Sofa B for £4.99 for +10 comfort boost.

What if they drop the number 5? Rene might become the main game but reimagined. 🤔
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,412 Member
    edited September 2023
    The more I think about it the more I think that Rene still is the "next generation" Sims game because they keep calling it that. So we should take their words at face value. But it's the next generation AND something different (pseudo spin-off) at the same time if that makes sense. It's both spiritually the fifth Sims game but ALSO a standalone live-service game that could just be called "The Sims" (without any numbering).

Ultimately, my prediction is that there will be an overlap period of the Sims 4 and Rene as Rene continues to build. Once a critical mass of players exist on the Rene platform, then Rene will be the go-forward live service platform of "The Sims" with Sims 4 being dropped once it's not making money anymore.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    The one thing I really like about Project Rene is that they seem to want core systems to be given to the base game. This way, DLC will be more asset-based (build-buy and CAS). So players can have any combination of DLC and not have to risk the game breaking.

Having core systems in the base game allows for better quality control and cross-compatibility.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I've noticed they never mentioned how much PC Storage it uses up. Also, I'm not impressed that it's Online only. No thank you. :(:s

They never said the game is online only though!It's possible it could be,but also possible you just need a connection for multiplayer to work.
  • Options

They never said the game is online only though!It's possible it could be,but also possible you just need a connection for multiplayer to work.

But then there is the whole, you can play on mobile thing. If it weren't at least saved on a cloud, I don't see how that would work. I don't expect for PC storage, or other data to be revealed yet. They haven't shared anything about PC requirements, but I'd suspect they are going minimal. So more players can pay them can play the game. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2023

But then there is the whole, you can play on mobile thing. If it weren't at least saved on a cloud, I don't see how that would work. I don't expect for PC storage, or other data to be revealed yet. They haven't shared anything about PC requirements, but I'd suspect they are going minimal. So more players can pay them can play the game. ;)

They've never said you can play the whole game on mobile, so it's still pretty likely that it's just for building collaboration or other limited features.
  • Options

They've never said you can play the whole game on mobile, so it's still pretty likely that it's just for building collaboration or other limited features.

Also they are two kinds saves.You can save things by internet or by computer.Also you can save data on your phone as well.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    when they said "no energy bar" it means that the sims don't need to sleep, correct? Not sure if i'm mistaken.
  • Options
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    when they said "no energy bar" it means that the sims don't need to sleep, correct? Not sure if i'm mistaken.

No, not at all. What they are referring to is an energy bar like is in The Sims Mobile game, and many other cheap Mobile/ Facebook games. These games have a daily "Energy" bar that is a total number of things you are allowed to have your characters do. When you run out of clicks, you have two choices. Either you can wait for your energy bar to go up again, usually several hours at least. Or you can pay the company who made the game real dollars for more energy.

What they said is that they won't be using this in Project Rene. Meaning you will be able to play their game as long as you want, theoretically. The characters will still likely have all the usual needs bars, including energy. I hope it cleared some things up.
  • Options
    Coconut27 wrote: »

No, not at all. What they are referring to is an energy bar like is in The Sims Mobile game, and many other cheap Mobile/ Facebook games. These games have a daily "Energy" bar that is a total number of things you are allowed to have your characters do.

What they said is that they won't be using this in Project Rene.

Oh!! okay thank you for clearing that up. I totally forgot mobile games do that. Shows how much I play them :D

• Options
    The more I think about it the more I think that Rene still is the "next generation" Sims game because they keep calling it that. So we should take their words at face value. But it's the next generation AND something different (pseudo spin-off) at the same time if that makes sense. It's both spiritually the fifth Sims game but ALSO a standalone live-service game that could just be called "The Sims" (without any numbering).

Ultimately, my prediction is that there will be an overlap period of the Sims 4 and Rene as Rene continues to build. Once a critical mass of players exist on the Rene platform, then Rene will be the go-forward live service platform of "The Sims" with Sims 4 being dropped once it's not making money anymore.

A lot of game studios support and/or release remasters of their old games (You can still get old Elder Scrolls games, there were just remasters of Resident Evil, WOW had the classic servers, etc) because they know people still play them. I would love to see EA do this (and not just that apparently awful 64 bit Mac version of Sims 3). However, it seems like EA wants to erase old versions of their games for...reasons? I don't play Sims 4, but it would be a shame to force people into the new game when they've been playing 4 so long.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

A lot of game studios support and/or release remasters of their old games (You can still get old Elder Scrolls games, there were just remasters of Resident Evil, WOW had the classic servers, etc) because they know people still play them. I would love to see EA do this (and not just that apparently awful 64 bit Mac version of Sims 3). However, it seems like EA wants to erase old versions of their games for...reasons? I don't play Sims 4, but it would be a shame to force people into the new game when they've been playing 4 so long.

I think they are trying to keep the sims 3 and four aviable.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member

I would really like to see that too, EA did a remaster of their old Command & Conquer games once, The Sims 1, 2 and 3 deserve the same treatment.

I'm not sure if licensing or ownership might be an issue. The Sims 1 and 2 are pretty old games now too but so was Command & Conquer.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    I would really like to see that too, EA did a remaster of their old Command & Conquer games once, The Sims 1, 2 and 3 deserve the same treatment.

I'm not sure if licensing or ownership might be an issue. The Sims 1 and 2 are pretty old games now too but so was Command & Conquer.

Yes, I do wonder if the inclusion of 90s tv/music stars in the Sims 1 might stop a remaster. I don't remember if Sims 2 had that? I don't think so?). Sims 3 doesn't necessarily need a remaster (though maybe, those skins are pretty rough), but it could use a (real) update for 64 bit on PC (and probably for whatever the newer things are on console).

• Options
    edited September 2023
    The Sims 1/2 i don't know if they have the rights to do that, but they definitely have to rights to do this with TS3 and I know so so many ppl having been asking for this, my self included! it would be amazing.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,535 Member
    :p None of this is what I want.
    So I guess I am out of luck here. :D

I am not interested in playing with friends.
    I don't care for gaming on limited devices like tablets and phones, nor do I want my game limited by those devices and shared game play.
    I want the Sims 4 to end so I can mod it in peace and not have to worry about them constantly breaking the overburdened game with new content, just to milk it to death.

I really hope Paradox Tectonic delivers a great game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I do enjoy being in my own little world
    wrote:
    I don't care for gaming on limited devices like tablets and phones, nor do I want my game limited by those devices and shared game play.
    I want the Sims 4 to end so I can mod it in peace and not have to worry about them constantly breaking the overburdened game with new content, just to milk it to death.

I need to look at more vids on LBY but I am liking the cartoony look of the parafolks in Paralives. I'll see. :)

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,535 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I do enjoy being in my own little world
    wrote:

I need to look at more vids on LBY but I am liking the cartoony look of the parafolks in Paralives. I'll see. :)

I am warming up to the Paralives look. :)
    If the createy a simple, but really enjoyable game, maybe it will evolve into a major franchise like The Sims.
    The LBY thread has been moved to an out of the way location:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/996968/life-by-you-vs-sims-5-rene-rod-humble-and-paradoxs-life-simulation-game
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds