Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Happy 9th Birthday Sims 4!

Comments

• Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I got into TS4 about 8 months after its release. On release, I had just started a demanding, slightly brain melting program for my second degree and didn’t want to lose focus my first semester so I waited until it was over. I purchased all the packs that had been released until that point.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I think it's closer to 8.5. I believe I started around the time Outdoor Retreat and/or Get to Work were released, so early 2015.

I had skipped Sims 3 because it wasn't rotational play friendly, and then the computer I was still playing Sims 2 on died somewhere around the end of 2014. So when I got the new computer I tried out Sims 4 and have been here since.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I remember playing with the free CAS available before the game and just loved the looks of the sims. At first I didn't like the world view as much but gradually got used to it and prefer the game play in 4 now.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I bought the game in 2018.
    I deleted all of my original families, because I didn't know what I wanted to do with it at first, but now I have save files that I enjoy.
    Also, did play the CAS a bit before the game was released, but waited to get more stuff before getting the game. I waited, because so much that we have now, we didn't have with the launch, like with Toddlers and other stuff.
    My first Sims 4 was the base game, and Cats and Dogs. All on sale, and through sales I have added more to my game.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    I have played since 2014 before babies grew into a toddlers and before mcc. The babies grew right into a child.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    I started playing the sims 4 in 2017. My time as simming started in 2000 with sims 1. As soon as I heard the game was updated with toddlers, it felt complete enough to give it a go. I didn't follow sims 4 news very closely so it was a few months after the update itself.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    It's only been 3 years for me, and TS4 is the only one I've ever really played. I downloaded TS3 later, but couldn't get the hang of the game mechanics
  • Options
    ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    I've been playing since the start. Its amazing to look back how far the game has developed. I hope for many more years to come.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    What really bummed me out was the look of the sims...at first. I hated them, them with their clay helmet hair. :# That's when I discovered the really easy mods folder and the rest is history. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    I got it around June 2016. It wasn’t available for Mac until 2015 anyway, and then I wasn’t really sure whether I wanted it as it seemed to be lacking so much and a lot of the reviews weren’t great. But as I’d particularly loved Sims 2, and reviews said that Sims 4 was similar to Sims 2 in playstyle, and I could no longer play Sims 3 on my Mac, I thought I’d give it a try. I then didn’t get into it properly for a long time, partly because of life and partly because the game felt thin and empty, and also I didn’t really like the new aesthetic at first. For a while I just had one EP (I think it was Get Together), and I didn’t really settle to a way of playing - I was forever starting new games and so didn’t really get absorbed in it. Then I found this forum a few years ago and (by lurking) learnt so much - about different ideas for ways to play, and how much more there was to get out of the game. I feel I really only started playing ‘properly’ around 2019. I started a save game then that I’m basically continuing now, though it’s grown and got split up into different actual saves. For me, the content just gets better and better, and it’s strange to think back to how little there was to it when it was first released. I’m hoping there’s lots still to come…
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I bought Sims 4 in November of 2014.

I was still happily playing Sims 2, although it was starting to become more difficult on the newer PC systems. I had gotten the base game of Sims 3 on its release, really excited to see what the new game would be like, but kind of hated the things that were changed/taken away that Sims 2 used to have, so I never crossed over. This experience made me more cautious of the 4th iteration, thinking I might not like it very much, but when the CAS demo came out and there was more diversity in hair styles (thicker, longer, wavier/curlier) and I could actually make some semblance of a Simself without any CC at all, I was actually very excited for that aspect. I decided to wait though, until I saw something about the features first, because I didn't want to buy another Sims 3 base game repeat.

I had to have the freedom of full rotational play. Check

I had to have playable venues. Check

I had to be able to cross worlds, both to visit, and also have my Sims live in them. Check

I had to have a flexible CAS Sim creator to make the Sims I wanted and even be able to replicate some likenesses. Check

It had to be modder/CC friendly. Check

I didn't want a microtransaction store in my face every time I was in CAS, showing me what I didn't have, and trying to get me to spend more money right after I'd already spent some on the game. Check

So after a little research and during a slow period of work that gave me more free time, I took the plunge and jumped into Sims 4 for the first time... and I enjoyed it. I thought Willow Creek was beautiful, the Sims were lively, I was able to easily make two Sims live in separate houses but on the same street and meet each other as well as other neighborhood NPC Sims, who I liked more than I expected to, as I had usually not paid too much attention to them in Sims 2. I was having fun in the new game and didn't even notice that Toddlers were missing because I was busy playing the young adult lifestyle with bars and nightclubs. Of course, I eventually did notice that the gameplay seemed to fall a little flat after a while, and this brought me to the forums about a month later to discuss and make requests.

The rest is history. I'm still here sharing in discussions and making requests, and I'm still playing the game, which has grown and improved in many, many ways over the years. Of course, every change isn't always to my own liking, and I'm obviously not afraid to voice that, lol, but overall, I still enjoy it and I've made some forum friends along the way, which is a wonderful bonus because there have been times when posts or threads or screenshots or just general discussions have lifted my mood. I do love this forum community a lot. And I've also had the pleasure of being able to interact with some of the devs now and then, which has truly been a wonderful opportunity that I deeply appreciate and never expected.

May the Sims 4 have more years ahead, may the devs stay inspired and creative, and may the forum community never tire of sharing happiness and constructive criticism. :)<3
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Started on day 1. First and only time I've pre-ordered, complete with the add on whatever it was if one did so. I thought it would be a blend of the best of the first 3 versions plus new things benefiting from the advances in game technology over the years. Live and learn.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    I got the game the Christmas of 2014. I did take a break looking for a gaming laptop I would be happy with about the time toddlers came out. I caught up quickly with the packs though, and saw how great the graphics were in sims 4 with the new gaming laptop.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited September 2023
    Aah the sims 4… When diddit all start, huh? When . did . it . all. start?

Well, for me it all began on that sunny Wednesday afternoon, aye, twas the Summer of Lurv, and me, I was but a wee rosy cheeked whippersnapper, full of life, filled with joy and laughter, tumbling through the wild flower meadows near the cliffs, perhaps a little too close to the cliffs, in my tiny shorts with me big Hurlóg and my jolly little Bichon Frisé ( not too close to the edge now, Tayto!…oh no……)

Yes, that’s right. No.
    That’s not how it all began.
    In fact, I was a full grown peach adult beardy fella and it probably rained outside and I was avoiding chores. Probably skipped work altogether. I must have been grumpy too. A hangover, most likely….As in, a teen rated hangover. I don’t want to get into trouble. Definitely teen rated. Silly Nectar huh? It’s always the ones with old potato in it….. Anyways, the main thing is that I was feeling rather grumpy.
    But wait! ☝🏼Not so fast!

There it was! Outdoor Retreat! Grumpy no more. Oh, it must have been available for goodness knows how long, but that was the very day I thought I’d give Sims 4 a hurl, because I would be able to do some plant magic too. And go for hikes, my favourite thing to do IRL! Remember it was raining outside? Well, now I could just go for a virtual hike and catch will’o the whisps and other rare, multi legged creatures and possibly find me a hermit. Without getting wet.

Indeed, the rest is one happy history. I had only discovered sims 3 one year prior. First I became a world famous Sims 3 world builder ( I did not) and then I began playing the Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat!

The very first time I was able to play as my simself was when I bought Werebeasts, years and years and years and years and years and YEARS after the release of Outdoor Retreat. Finally. Twas one of the hairiest happiest days in my life. I’m at peace now. Almost.

Thank you all and keep that green Plumbob Plummin’ & Bobbin’! 💚
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Been here since the beginning, as I have been with every iteration of The Sims. I love jet skiing in beautiful Sulani, and going to festivals in vibrant San Myshuno. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did, but I loved raising a llama, chickens and a family in Henford-on-Bagley. Sims 4 has been good to me, and if Sims 5 turns out to be a Sims 3 redux, I don't think I'd mind staying right here.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I was actually really lucky with my copy of the Sims 4. Before the game launched, I spotted a bug on the Australian version of the Sims website regarding a pricing discrepancy. I forwarded it off to the guys at Maxis and after a bit of back and forth they fixed it, and as thanks they gave me the deluxe version for free. As a result, I didn't feel guilty about getting a few DLCs in the early days, figuring I would have spent that money on the base game anyway.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I started playing on day 1. September 2, 2014. I've enjoyed the game since the beginning. Even through the dark days of no toddlers. :p Still looking forward to new content and new experiences in the coming years.

Saaaaame!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    February 2017, after Vampires and toddlers were added.

I'd played 1 & 2 casually as a child, and had bought the base game + World Adventures for 3 when it came out in 09. Played a little, but got busy with life. When 4 was announced I wasn't thrilled by what I saw, so I went and bought all the expansions for 3 instead (I got a really good deal on ebay). Played that for a few years until my laptop just couldn't handle the game anymore (way too many mods and cc), and that's when I heard that toddlers and vampires were being added to 4. Bought the base game with a few packs and haven't looked back since.

I think the thing that actually impressed me the most when I switched from 3 was that hats and hair were separate, and that clothing had texture and reacted to lighting (sparkles/shininess). I also liked that all worlds were available and how easy building was in comparison to 3. I've honestly been impressed with how regularly the game has been added on to and improved since then, and while the game has it's bugs and problems, it's definitely come a long way from where it started.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I was against Sims4, when I read it was to be a multiplayer game. Until one day that changed, and I eagerly read more on this iteration. I was then excited to see if the Sims were their silly selves again or at least better than the ones in Sims 3. (I confess I have a love/hate relationship with that iteration.) I pre-ordered Sims4 and found myself unhappy to learn that Toddlers weren't going to be in the game up front. After much discussion and going back and forth, I decided to not cancel my pre-order but to play the game to see if I even liked it. I also decided I wouldn't purchase a single Sims4 thing more, if the Sims weren't more to my liking. I really loved Sims2 and that's the game wherein I started playing video games of any sort.

Nine years later, and a few mods, too, I'm loving this game. I have many of the packs, but not all. I selected only the ones that interested me. But, despite yesterday's tragedy in game, I'm still loving it. I have bounced back this morning, and I know I will continue to play for quite some time. :)

Happy 9th birthday. I was this age when I finally learned how to ride a bike. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Pre-ordered. The wait for toddlers was rough, but when they arrived they were wonderful. And now with infants in Growing Together, and horses, I'm totally satisfied. Who needs cars?
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    It was one of the things my spouse got me as a welcome-to-living-with-me-now-I-shall-shower-you-in-ALL-the-gifts! I remember the year because Eco Lifestyle was the first pack that I was around to see the pre-release hype for.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    I was a die hard ts3 simmer & actually bought ts4 the day it came out, but I was devastated by it, I really really didn't like it at first so I forgot about it for 8 more years haha. I only returned after High School Years was released
    s54gWQ5.png
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    Since day one. They reeled me in with the cas demo, before that I swore I was going to stick with Sims 3. And that was about 3 computers and a lot of grey hairs ago.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    I've been playing for 4 years. since May 2019 when Origin had given the Base Game out for free. My first expansion pack was of course, Cats and Dogs.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    oh wow. it was so long ago. i got the game when it first came out, back in 2014. i was playing it side by side with the sims 3.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3