Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

July 14th - Horse Ranch Livestream!

Comments

• Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    So it does seem like the trailers showed pretty much all there is.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I love that we have painted ceilings now. I know a lot of people were requesting that.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    Sooo... I caught the last 3 minutes of that! :D Can't wait to watch the recording.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Wait, they didn't even try out the competitions? Even if they're just rabbit holes, it'd be cool to see how things work. Will they even have the participation element the old competitions had?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    It’s already over ??
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    That was a nice walkthrough. Can't wait for the occult nectar! They should have said something about unicorns though. I didn't see the horn in CAS.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    That was a nice walkthrough. Can't wait for the occult nectar! They should have said something about unicorns though. I didn't see the horn in CAS.

Good catch. They didn't mention the horn at all, and I didn't look for it. It must be just an accessory; a horse with a horn will still be a horse.

ETA: Modders to the rescue!
  • Options
    PandoraTO wrote: »

Good catch. They didn't mention the horn at all, and I didn't look for it. It must be just an accessory; a horse with a horn will still be a horse.

ETA: Modders to the rescue!

Nope. The stream showed all manes, forelocks and head accessoires. The horn was not among them.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited July 2023
    Okay, here are my first impressions.

Positive:
    - cross-pack compatibility with Cottage Living, you can get wool and milk from mini sheep and goats
    - cross-pack compatibility with occult packs, occults can make special kinds of nectar (whatever that means)
    - the world is beautiful, albeit once again very small
    - kids can definitely ride horses, we've seen it before, but it's just nice to have it reaffirmed by the livestream
    - paintable ceilings are coming to the base game, and you can use any floor texture you have for ceilings as well

Negative:
    - still no word on unicorns, the horn didn't even show up in CAS, which can be a good or a bad sign depending on how you look at it
    - horses don't have collision even with a sim on top, some visitors at the bar just walked right through the horse standing in front of it
    - the stream seemed unusually short, which makes me wonder, is there so much else to discover that they simply didn't want to spoil for us, or did they just run out of stuff to show us?

Also, a personal pet peeve of my inner hobby astronomer that has nothing to do with the pack itself, but I have to mention it: The guru saying that the night sky ceiling would be great for kids' rooms. Sure. But what about adult bedrooms? I'm not asking if it's possible, obviously we'll be able to put it wherever we want. I'm just annoyed that space stuff keeps getting labelled as "for kids". Most kids don't even know the difference between a planet and a star, they just think they're pretty. And they are, but seriously, you can be an adult and still be into astronomy. When I was looking for curtains for my bedroom in real life, everything that had stars on it was "for kids". Didn't stop me from buying it. Still, I could do without the ageism while shopping. (Or watching The Sims livestreams, for that matter.)
  • Options
    Can't wait for these hairs.

28zuJLG.png
  • Options
    This was the first livestream I’ve watched. Was it unusually short? How long are they for an EP, typically?
  • Options
    The short male hair looked also great.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Like, 1,5 to 2h.
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    This was the first livestream I’ve watched. Was it unusually short? How long are they for an EP, typically?

• Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2023
    Two new aspirations (Championship Rider and Expert Nectar-maker) and two new traits (Rancher and Horse lover) for humans! I'm so relieved, because I was actually afraid there wouldn't be a horse lover trait.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I thought the stream was long enough. I found the longer ones a bit too long, and they tended to focus too much on CAS and the new items when half the fun of the new items is looking at them for myself. I remember with the ROM stream they spent ages looking at the furniture and the different swatches.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    Ok, I just think all my sims will now have a pet lamb. <3
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    It seems like the only new harvestable is the Prairie Grass. They mentioned three new recipes in the Livestream, though, with one of them being Basegame. Since it included squash I wish they would have added squash as a harvestable to the game as well. We already have black, green and soy beans, but red beans would be nice too since chili is a common enough Western recipe and often made with red beans (or a combination). And a few more varieties of grape for the nectar-making would also have been nice, although I guess grapes don't really make sense for a Western pack in an arid climate because grapevines need so much water.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I thought the stream was long enough. I found the longer ones a bit too long, and they tended to focus too much on CAS and the new items when half the fun of the new items is looking at them for myself. I remember with the ROM stream they spent ages looking at the furniture and the different swatches.
    You're probably right. Today's livestream might have been shorter because it was better organised and less chaotic than previous ones and didn't dwell on anything for too long. Maybe that's what gave me the impression that it showed less than usual. I'm actually glad they didn't go through every single swatch of every single CAS and BB asset because that's boring, and there are probably many effects that different nectars can have on sims that weren't shown so we can discover them for ourselves. Still, I wish someone would finally speak out on unicorns. Why did the horn not show up in CAS? Is that one of the mentioned "special traits" that only horses born in-game can have? And does it have any special effects other than looking cool? So many questions...
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I enjoyed watching and seeing the new world which I do love. I especially like the canyon area.

I do feel like it was a bit rushed. I would've liked to see the competitions and the secrets of the national park area. Also more detailed CAS and Build/Buy walkthroughs.

I still don't know whether to buy right away or wait for a sale. Honestly, a pool table would push it over the top for me. So would an actual unicorn 🦄. Still holding out hope for the latter!

• Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I don't remember any mention of a new country music station?
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited July 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuFlrvrl3TY

What are you reactions to today's livestream about the Horse Ranch pack?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I really fell head over heels for the horses and the world and nearly everything I saw. Only gripes I had were really for there was not active horse race or competition to attend to participate in which I would think would be great, as a horse own or a spectator, and game play with betting winning and loosing, also as a new community center for events. The could make a band game pack that is a performance center. I would like to show my dogs and cats too.
    Also the sheep and goats, are so adorable, probably the 2nd biggest highlight, but they are like objects. I wish they could grow up and sleep in designated places, and chew the grass to keep it a length like a new feature in maintaining grass(lawn mowing). I which you could make soap from the goat's milk too. But over all impressed with every thing else. New active careers they did not mention, but I think it would have been the horse competitions.
    Animations for the horses are incredible and I can not wait!
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2023
    I appreciate the Gurus for doing this, and I like how warm and inviting they were. I have no complaints about the presenters themselves and I think they're great. They did some cool things, like going into detail about painted ceilings, the new swatches and how the system would work. I like how they showed off a decent amount of CAS items and explained some of their ideas, without dragging things out for too long.

That said, I feel like the presentation itself made a bunch of questionable decisions.
    • They didn't show off that old man from the gameplay trailer.
    • Things weren't properly scheduled in-game, so competitions were completely missed.
    • The competitions are a big part of the horse gameplay, yet almost nothing about it was shown off.
    • They had to show off things at night, when it would be hard to see things.
    • I felt like they didn't go into enough detail with the BB. I don't want them to go through each item and show them off, one by one; that would be long and boring. But it would have been nice to see more. The infant update stream was perfect - they had a big room and showed off every item & their swatches, and just showed them without going into excruciating detail.
    • We didn't get any examples of the breeding system and the special traits foals could get.
    • They didn't explain what the occult nectars did. I get wanting a surprise, but the Spa Day refresh stream talked about the vampire-exclusive masks.
    • We have new events, but they didn't show us how they work.
    • There's lore, but they barely told us anything about it.
    • I don't think they went into detail over what the new aspirations include? Like what are the steps and each goal? But maybe they did and I just missed it.

Since this was pre-recorded and not a livestream, I felt like they could have cut out them faffing about, and just give us the pack's highlights. Much of what we got was stuff we already knew. And they didn't even go into detail about much of them.

It would have been great if they answered FAQs from the sims community. Like with livestreams they could check the chat, but here they had the chance to pick popular questions and go into depth on them, and they wouldn't be put on the spot to come up with an answer. But I guess it would be a bummer to answer some of those questions. Like imagine they dedicate the last few minutes of the stream to say that unicorns aren't coming back, competitions are less interactive than Sims 3's, there would be no festivals, and there might not be much cross-pack compatibility with previous packs' animals.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    I appreciate the Gurus for doing this, and I like how warm and inviting they were. I have no complaints about the presenters themselves and I think they're great. They did some cool things, like going into detail about painted ceilings, the new swatches and how the system would work. I like how they showed off a decent amount of CAS items and explained some of their ideas, without dragging things out for too long.

That said, I feel like the presentation itself made a bunch of questionable decisions.
    • They didn't show off that old man from the gameplay trailer.
    • Things weren't properly scheduled in-game, so competitions were completely missed.
    • The competitions are a big part of the horse gameplay, yet almost nothing about it was shown off.
    • They had to show off things at night, when it would be hard to see things.
    • I felt like they didn't go into enough detail with the BB. I don't want them to go through each item and show them off, one by one; that would be long and boring. But it would have been nice to see more. The infant update stream was perfect - they had a big room and showed off every item & their swatches, and just showed them without going into excruciating detail.
    • We didn't get any examples of the breeding system and the special traits foals could get.
    • They didn't explain what the occult nectars did. I get wanting a surprise, but the Spa Day refresh stream talked about the vampire-exclusive masks.
    • We have new events, but they didn't show us how they work.
    • There's lore, but they barely told us anything about it.
    • I don't think they went into detail over what the new aspirations include? Like what are the steps and each goal? But maybe they did and I just missed it.

Since this was pre-recorded and not a livestream, I felt like they could have cut out them faffing about, and just give us the pack's highlights. Much of what we got was stuff we already knew. And they didn't even go into detail about much of them.

It would have been great if they answered FAQs from the sims community. Like with livestreams they could check the chat, but here they had the chance to pick popular questions and go into depth on them, and they wouldn't be put on the spot to come up with an answer. But I guess it would be a bummer to answer some of those questions. Like imagine they dedicate the last few minutes of the stream to say that unicorns aren't coming back, competitions are less interactive than Sims 3's, there would be no festivals, and there might not be much cross-pack compatibility with previous packs' animals.

I agree @Gordy with all your points. While I thoroughly enjoyed everything shown, and I really liked the gurus presenting the items, I wished it was live and they could answer some questions, and a lot were left unanswered. Basic stuff like if you can have horses outside of the world, or the new world overview with lot sizes. Luckily I found else where you can have horses outside of Chestnut Ridge, and here is a map of the lots sizes of the new world. Still so many more questions and features not shown. I fear there isn't much more than a rabbit-hole for the competitions, and I thought that would be the most exciting part.

[img][/img]53046846460_58eb580f92_k.jpgScreenshot 2023-07-14 at 10.16.39 PM by leucosia x, on Flickr
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,676 Member
    I enjoyed the "live" stream very much, presenters were very nice, chill and obviously at least one of them skilled on RL horses and not just the game. Loved seeing the world, and especially Galloping Gulch seems amazingly spacious! I hope we can choose to "ride along" and won't need to click the ground again every few meters. It will be very soothing watching my sim ride along - when my sim&horse are well trained, that is :)

I do think some features should have been presented more in detail, like the contests. I'm fine with the equestrian center being a rabbit hole, but there must be something connected to that event. Can we access the competition wearing just anything or are there certain rules? Preparations before entering obviously include lots of practicing, but we barely got to see the barrel thing, no jumping at all, and not the 2 other contest versions. I also would like there to be some extra when your sim wins 1st prize, perhaps a couple poses and a picture automatically taken for your trophy wall. In my game I will add a stage/press corner on the approaching park which seems to be the natural arrival point when not already living in New Appaloosa.

Would also like to learn more about breeding horses. Maybe they mentioned it but I missed it.

Godd to know that I will enjoy watching the stream again, at least once :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top