Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disallowed word.

I am getting the "disallowed word" warning on a room of mine and I cant figure out which one it might be, any suggestions? here is the description.

All 18 products you can make with canning. Excellent quality. Part of my #ConsumableSeries . #AppleJam #BlackberryJam #BlueberryJam #CowberryJam #RaspberryJam #StrawberryJam #MushroomConserve #CharmingMushroomConserve #LovelyMushroomConserve #NightlyMushroomConserve #SpicyMushroomConserve #VerdantMushroomConserve #AubergineConserve #LettuceConserve #PumpkinConserve #WatermelonConserve #ChocolateSyrup #Custard #Mayonnaise #MeatSubstitute #TomatoSauce

Comments

• Options
    KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    edited July 2023
    I figured it out, it was Mayonnaise. I have no clue why that is a disallowed word specially when its a item in the actual game, seems rather silly really. I had to use Mayo instead.
    Post edited by Kementari on
  • Options
    DenimjoDenimjo Posts: 213 Member
    It must be a slur of some sort in a non-english language. I cannot for the life of me see a problem with it. The closest I can guess is it doesn't like the word 'aise,' which is french for 'easy,' which is an unpolite way of describing women.
    Zl8Iuk9.jpg
  • Options
    KestrelDCKestrelDC Posts: 335 Member
    Denimjo wrote: »
    It must be a slur of some sort in a non-english language. I cannot for the life of me see a problem with it. The closest I can guess is it doesn't like the word 'aise,' which is french for 'easy,' which is an unpolite way of describing women.

I think it's more like... maybe people were using it to get around filters and refer to something.... males.... produce.... because we can't have nice things and people gotta sully everything >.>

Like... c'mon people.... we can't even talk about food without someone ruining it.....
    wfyfk3mg6t02.jpg
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,478 Member
    Egg Sauce considers “Mayonnaise” to be a slur now and does no longer want to be referred to as it. It wants to be referred to as “Egg Sauce”.

See how Tomato Sauce didn’t get censored? That’s because it fought hard for its right to be called “Tomato Sauce”, instead of “Ketchup”. Calling it that is now deemed offensive by some condiments, although it’s quite possible we can still use the word to tag gallery content. This may change soon.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited July 2023
    That's completely loopy as far as a disallowed word. I can understand some but that seems straight out of left field, as the Americans would say.

I don't know if you know, but mayonnaise is one of the French cusine mother sauces so it's unlikely to be considered a slur in French, as someone suggested above.

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I googled. It’s considered a pejorative term for a white person.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,478 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I googled. It’s considered a pejorative term for a white person.

Seriously? The world’s gone absolutely bonkers. 😆

“OH NO, why are all these white people sitting on my fries?! “

I’m a Mayo-Mustard btw… If fun is not to be had this way, I shall delete tweet.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,418 Member
    Kementari wrote: »
    I am getting the "disallowed word" warning on a room of mine and I cant figure out which one it might be, any suggestions? here is the description.

All 18 products you can make with canning. Excellent quality. Part of my #ConsumableSeries . #AppleJam #BlackberryJam #BlueberryJam #CowberryJam #RaspberryJam #StrawberryJam #MushroomConserve #CharmingMushroomConserve #LovelyMushroomConserve #NightlyMushroomConserve #SpicyMushroomConserve #VerdantMushroomConserve #AubergineConserve #LettuceConserve #PumpkinConserve #WatermelonConserve #ChocolateSyrup #Custard #Mayonnaise #MeatSubstitute #TomatoSauce

Can you add a link for the room? I need all those excellent jars for my game. Thanks. :smiley:
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

@CAPTAIN_NXR7
    I so very badly want to launch into a cheeky paragraph about a group of people in a magical land who loved themselves some potatoes.
    DNA tells me that I have a lineage in that land, but I never once wanted people to sit on my fries.
    That's just weird.
    I too will delete if requested.

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited July 2023
    It's just that the filters are made to look into it too deep.

An example for me was when I saved a household in which I had a sim named Anna-Lisa. If I wrote it like "Anna - Lisa", then the game stopped whining. But when I put it like "Anna-Lisa", then the world is in despair according to the game. I won't elaborate on what the game thinks it is...

For now, I guess put #Mayo instead, at least I hope it's not one of the disallowed words...
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    What's the point of censorship anyways? It never worked, people will always find new ways to get informed, a language isn't something what's never changed. It's making the life harder for non-native english speaker to contribute something to to content and exclude them from it, when common used words especially from their own language suddenly become a slur, because you don't expect such things, if you don't live in the usa. But they learn the "forbidden" word which they never would have without that filter. Hello Streisand effect. That behavior from a company is patronizing for other countries. I hate censorship, only autocratic countries are using such tools. I know that they have to throw an eye on hate speech, but they shouldn't used an urban dictionary where everybody can just write down their nonsense.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,137 Member
    I don’t like censorship, it reminds me of dictatorship.😡😖
    However on another note, I do like Olive Oil M a y o n n a i s e.😛😋 And by the way I’m considered white skin even though I’m less than 16% Prairie Cree (Canadian Natives)
    So there.😉
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,430 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    What's the point of censorship anyways? It never worked, people will always find new ways to get informed, a language isn't something what's never changed. It's making the life harder for non-native english speaker to contribute something to to content and exclude them from it, when common used words especially from their own language suddenly become a slur, because you don't expect such things, if you don't live in the usa. But they learn the "forbidden" word which they never would have without that filter. Hello Streisand effect. That behavior from a company is patronizing for other countries. I hate censorship, only autocratic countries are using such tools. I know that they have to throw an eye on hate speech, but they shouldn't used an urban dictionary where everybody can just write down their nonsense.

The recurring theme with censorship and political correctness is how much it contradicts itself.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,982 Member
    edited July 2023
    Yeah I don't think normal words should be censored just because someone might use them for totally different meanings

if we do it that way then you'll have to censor the whole game I am afraid
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Perti23Perti23 Posts: 65 Member
    It's absurd. The game doesn't even allow me to share the original Goth household in the gallery because there's apparently some unacceptable word in the OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION of the household.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 787 Member
    KestrelDC wrote: »

I think it's more like... maybe people were using it to get around filters and refer to something.... males.... produce.... because we can't have nice things and people gotta sully everything >.>

Like... c'mon people.... we can't even talk about food without someone ruining it.....

I feel your pain,Kestrel. Slang is killing the English language.....

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    KestrelDCKestrelDC Posts: 335 Member
    edited July 2023
    KestrelDC wrote: »

I feel your pain,Kestrel. Slang is killing the English language.....

Yeah, I LOVE the Batfamily but sometimes it feels nigh impossible to talk about Nightwing >.>

And a lot of games won't let me name stuff after him (in Pokemon I couldn't name my Corviknight "🐸🐸🐸🐸" after him but I COULD name him Dickie Boy which is hilarious in battle or when looking at my team and seeing it among Pokemon just named Alfred, Cassandra, Virgil, etc.)

Edit: Whelp.... guess those frogs prove my point... (also is there any reason it's frogs in particular? Just curious.)
    wfyfk3mg6t02.jpg
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I don't have this problem myself because I don't upload to the gallery, but I often get notifications about forbidden words when I save lots or households in my library. It can be really difficult to figure out which word the game has a problem with, and even then, I can't help shaking my head sometimes.

For example, the German word for "neighbourhood" is "Nachbarschaft", but I can't use it because it happens to contain "a-r-s-c-h", which is a pejorative term for the part of your body that you sit on and also used as an insult. I mean, yeah, it's true, but... As a German native speaker, I have never looked at the word "Nachbarschaft" that way before, and I doubt that anybody else does. Another time, I tried to name a Mt. Komorebi resident S-u-k-i, a perfectly normal girl's name in Japan, but the game complained because according to a friend of mine, it means "b*tch" in Russian. (I have a dog called B*tch in my game, but in that case, I was fully aware of the problem and did it on purpose. After all, it's also the correct term for a female dog.)

I realise that some censorship is required for a game that is meant to be played by children as well, but it could definitely ease off on the ridiculous stuff. Maybe recognising the player's language could be a first step, so I as a German player don't get chastised for using a word that means something offensive in Mandarin, a language that doesn't even use the same letters as mine...
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    The only time I've even remotely heard of a use of mayonnaise as a perjorative is when someone obese is referred to as either having bloodtype = mayonnaise, or making mayonnaise noises. It's ridiculous.
    It's also a well documented phenomenon in this connected society we live in. This is a link to the Wikipedia article on the subject, associated with a town in England that tripped up auto censors for usernames - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem
  • Options
    PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 75 Member
    @StuffyMarx thanks for the link, very interesting read!
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!