Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hot Update! πŸ”₯ New SDX!! 5/16/23

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Oh I had not noticed the new facial hair nice style longer hair in some areas but not a forced baby face in the areas cut shorter I'd love to see more of this.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    OdUEp8F.jpg

I was actually impressed by the concept art that was presented, and hoped that they would try to stay true to it, with the exception of eye colour. I think they've done an okay job. They look somewhat better than they were before, but not by much in my opinion. I do think they nailed their skin tones though.

The best way I can describe it, is that it feels like they've tried to combine Sims 2 nostalgia with a more accurately portrayed heritage, and that's perhaps why it feels a bit off for me. Dina looks pretty recognisable for the most part (though I would change her eyebrow style) but Nina doesn't look like Nina to me - specifically, the nose, eyebrow style and eye shape.

It would have also been a nice touch if they had given us their iconic Sims 2 outfits too, but recreated for the Sims 4. Bella has had her signature red dress from day one, so why not Dina's black dress and Nina's pink cargo pants? I don't know, seems like a few missed opportunities here.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Wasn't sure I'd like them as much, but once you get them in game definitely look a lot more flattering for sure. Nina and Dina definitely look a lot closer to looking like siblings now.
    a5Lh9jW.png
    i02PzVS.png
    gj7MaH4.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @Sthenastia I love your remakes! They remind a lot of the originals. I prefer the original Sims 4 Calientes and Lothario to these updated ones.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    So we're not getting any gameplay this season, huh?

The Jewish food is pretty swag. I was hoping we'd get that, especially after that one guy on Twitter had been asking for it for so long. Personally, I've been wanting some more traditional Jewish CASsets for some of my Jews, but I really appreciate the food! Glad we got it. I just hope the game won't take forever to load the list of foods, since our selection is obscenely long as it is. :p

Hate the Calientes, tbh. Katrina feels like she barely changed, clothing-wise. Her new face is hideous. The sisters have better hair (Dina) and outfits, but their faces, while arguably better than before, are not it. I hate the highlights. They also suffer from the same problem as Bella, where their skintones are darker, but aren't warm enough to fit the vibe of their previous depictions. (They're also still pretty light in comparison to their old looks, too. So like ???) Their fashion is also better, but still kinda bad.

I really don't see why we couldn't just get versions of the old looks - I know they want to put a new spin on things, but the old stuff is what made them appealing in the first place. They don't properly reflect their old selves. And like, I do appreciate preferences being updated for them. But I'd also like some actual lore with these updated characters. I don't think they changed any of the relationships between the household. Did we get any relationships between them and people outside the household?

Don't like Don's new face, but his outfit is nice. I felt like the old Sims 4 look was a great modernization of his old self, as he was now more of a modern-day boytoy. But this look is more reminiscent of his old style, so I'm fine with it. That said, did they cut down on his muscles? SHAME, EA. SHAME. Give Don back his beef.

Idk, I don't want any more updated sims. We've been waiting so long for these changes, and they've been so off the mark with nearly all of them.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2023
    This whole makeover players rallied them to do in the name of whitewashing was always silly to me and a waste of time. Plus players were showing how they did all of their own makeovers already.
    However, I don't play premades so I am indifferent.

What I do think based on the pictures I saw of the new makeover is that the team tried their hardest to replicate the accurate look using only basegame stuff and I think they did great considering.
    The problem players probably see is that ts4 has a totally different artstyle from the ts2 sims they want. It will NEVER look identical to those sims, especially with basegame stuff only. And yes, I've seen pictures of people who tried to make exact replicas and they did good but the difference in Ts4 artstyle is still noticeable.

Aside from that I can never say no to more food!! Thanks team!!πŸ₯³
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2023
    There's something off I feel with Dina but she also gives that b. vibes that she used to give back in TS2 and I kind of like it.

Definitely better than their initial release.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    This whole makeover players rallied them to do in the name of whitewashing was always silly to me and a waste of time. Plus players were showing how they did all of their own makeovers already.
    However, I don't play premades so I am indifferent.

What I do think based on the pictures I saw of the new makeover is that the team tried their hardest to replicate the accurate look using only basegame stuff and I think they did great considering.
    The problem players probably see is that ts4 has a totally different artstyle from the ts2 sims they want. It will NEVER look identical to those sims, especially with basegame stuff only. And yes, I've seen pictures of people who tried to make exact replicas and they did good but the difference in Ts4 artstyle is still noticeable.

Aside from that I can never say no to more food!! Thanks team!!πŸ₯³
    Speaking for myself, I don't expect them to be exact copies of their old selves. But I feel like they could have made more of an effort to add some consistency with the old looks. They also don't need to limit themselves to stuff that already exists - they could also make more hair and clothing to better represent these characters.

I thought I'd give redesigning them a shot. I made them in about 15 minutes and I'm pretty bad at CAS, but I feel like they better match their old looks. I feel like EA, with their talent, time and resources could easily do better than my sims, if they tried going for the same idea.
    G5QSJPp.png
    wNncE3H.png

Dina was made with just basegame, Dina was made with pack content. I'm sorry, but I couldn't in good conscience make a basegame Nina Caliente. The pink pants are hideous.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I'm doubtful that no matter what EA released, even if it was identical to the remakes people on here have made and posted on here, there would be a lot of people who hate it. People have had years with an image in their head of what these Sims look like and should be like, that any official deviation from that would be met with hostility. The whole fanfare around it doesn't help matters.

When it comes to facial features, let's remember, TS2's CAS is incredibly primitive, to the extent that any major deviation from default faces 1 and 2 just looks weird as facial features are stretched and squashed and become rather blocky. So many of the premade Sims had faces 1 or 2, or minor variations of it, that if we gave every sim the same skin colour, outfit and hairstyle, even the biggest fans won't be able to identify most of the Sims. The game didn't do facial variation well, especially when it comes to ethnic diversity. For example, Bella and Michael went from being Asian in TS1 (Michael more clearly so, but even Bella had Asian features, even if they were only a few pixels difference on the texture map), to being tanned Europeanish people. The tools just weren't there. This is why I don't mind too much when they deviate somewhat from facial and body shapes that they had in TS2.

As for the Calientes themselves, I always saw the sisters as Maxis' interpretation of early 00s Paris Hiltonesque it girls, the type that wouldn't think a second thought to going on an MTV reality show and making a fool of themselves. I always saw them as "not as attractive as they think they are", having plastic surgery done at an early age (eg, those very thin noses - yes I know they are descended from aliens, but it still looks unnatural). Obviously that means 00s fashions (Nina's cargo pants) have to go in favour of more trendier up to date fashions, they shouldn't be a time capsule. I feel it misses the point to make them too pretty or elegant.

Overall, I think it's ok, I guess, perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good, and I don't think there is a "perfect" everyone will agree to. Though to be honest, I was never that much of a big fan of the Calientes to begin with (or all of Pleasantview for that matter). I think Dina and Don look great, and I can see where they were going with Katrina and Nina.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    The Calientes still look ugly, just in a different way than before. No comments about Don, because I don't know who this man with them is, because he sure isn't Don Lothario, the infamous playboy
  • Options
    KeijraKeijra Posts: 9 New Member
    I might have missed someone saying this earlier in the thread, but the "Hot" in the "Hot Update" is a pun on their last name. Caliente means literally means hot in Spanish.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited May 2023
    I hope the team is done with these so-called makeovers. For me these families live in their original games. TS1 (The Goths) and TS2 respectively.
    Post edited by lunaoddity on
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Hmm. Yeah, as someone who has put some extensive time into playing the Calienties thanks to the randomized gods favoring them, I'm kinda not fond of the new changes. I miss my active Dina Caliente. Now she's a classic sort of material girl. Hot-headed into Jealous is a fun character swap for Katrina though. Kinda back-and-forth on Lazy and Non-Comittal for Nina but making her have the Villanious Valientine aspiration is a definite cause for drama there! I do also kinda miss the swap from active to self-assured for Don! I liked the dynamic of Don having something that appeals to both of the younger Caliente sisters. This does make me kinda want to pair off Nina and Don a bit more though, as two non-commital sims just dating behind each other's back.

I do like that party outfit Don has. Going to nab that for my main file.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Seeing the reactions on social media I definitely think people are taking this way to seriously. It's just a premade sim with adjusted looks. And you can still get the originals in the gallery. But then again I think people take everything in the game a bit too seriously πŸ˜†
    God bless the sims team πŸ™
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I impress Calanite the goth refresh was such a mixed bag.Bella did not look like Bella.Alexander didn't look like anything like his past self.This one was an improvement.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    That is also a strange comment, it is okay to think any feature is ugly we can't just throw out all views and favor one, I don't like them but if you do, great. Should you share my opinion or think something else entirely great, that is actually being kind, let's be fair now.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

I am so glad they did this.Another issue is they did not put the original sims 4 goths in the gallery.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    If u like townies I recommend giving them a makeover yourself.
    On another note, please check out my different timeline makeovers of Bella from the base. I totally deleted her family & gave Bella a last name of Bachelorette instead of Goth or Bachelor.
    I never understood @ the beginning why she had a husband & two children already in Sims 4. I only experienced Sims 3 before 2014. So, I’ve always liked the pretty Bella townie.
    My Bella Bachelorette versions are saved in the Gallery under my username SEREFRAS. Please check her out & let me know if you like her.πŸ˜‰
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm really disappointed if this is the hot update. I was hoping for an update to pools. When I think hot update I think a Patch not an SDX so I'm still not sure this is what they were talking about. Not to say this update was bad. I like the improved looks of Don and the Caliente Sisters and the Jewish recipes.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: Β»
    Hopped into CAS and I actually like how the new Caliente's look. I had to change Don's eyes a bit as they looked weird, but other than that they look fine. Just changed Nina's hair to that newer base game medium length hair for females we got like maybe last year or earlier in the year I think? I just hate that melty looking one in game.

I like how they changed them, but STILL didn't fix their over all relationships in game. Like Katrina doesn't even have a romantic relationship with Don still nor do Nina have a side relationship with Don either or have any romantic bar.. Pfft.

8U not the spicy updated I wanted where's the DRAMA

Maybe use the relationship cheats or one of the relationship mods to change them.
  • Options
    KestrelDCKestrelDC Posts: 335 Member
    That is also a strange comment, it is okay to think any feature is ugly we can't just throw out all views and favor one, I don't like them but if you do, great. Should you share my opinion or think something else entirely great, that is actually being kind, let's be fair now.

What that Tweet means is that talking about these features being ugly can make actual people feel bad about themselves.
    wfyfk3mg6t02.jpg
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited May 2023

Strange that she talk about it being familiar and fun to see them walk around in the neighbourhood when this update makes them feel less familiar and less fun after seeing the sims 4 version for 8 years. I guess that is my main issue. I have gotten used to the versions that were in the sims 4. They were not identical to previous versions but that was not a huge issue.

I did a small overhaul to the sisters for my own starter file and will stick with that. I might update Dons clothing to match the update because that is an improvement but I think I will keep the active trait which they seem to have swapped out for confindent with this update.
    OI2X7xl.png
    I am not saying my version is better, but it is more my taste. I tried to make them resemble their sims 2 counterpart a bit more and changed their skintone slightly as well.

@LadyKyn They do look a bit better in the game.
    Carmine wrote: Β»
    🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 is forever retconned out, huh. And I see that Maxis is now copying people on the gallery's obsession with highlighter. Not a fan at all

On the bright side, I see a new aspiration. Could be fun?
    JnLq23B.png

Where did you find this aspiration and what is it called? I have seen no mention of a new aspiration anywhere else.