Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating vacation destinations out of residential worlds

One of my favorite things to do in game is send my sims on vacation. I was curious if anyone has any great ideas or lots that you have used to create vacation destinations within residential worlds.

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,458 Member
    I like to send my sims on vacation to several worlds
    - citytrip : I replaced the penthouse lot in the arts district with a rental
    - secluded island : the light house island in brindleton bay because it is a single lot on an island. I see it as a retreat for a writer or an artist
    - oasis springs : I created a batuu inspired neighbourhood and added a rental, a park and a restaurant all in the same style.
    And of course the obvious locations
    - sulani
    - Mt Komorebi : the always snowy neighbourhood
    - tartosa
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,441 Member
    Henford on Bagley has a haunted castle for rent in my game. If you hire a butler, it's pretty much a self contained vacation lot. Whenever I build vacation destinations I try to think of what would be the attraction of the area. I also have a rental in Forgotten Hollow, I send my sims there for exercise, fresh air and relaxation. And of course, vampires. I did redesign the neighbourhood to have brighter, more cheerful appearance so the vampires nest is not that obvious.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited May 2023
    So far I have mt komorebi, sulani, tartosa for the winter/summer get aways, henford on bagley for the relaxing country break, san myshuno for a city break and turned one of the copperdale neighbourhoods into a granite falls area 2.0 where sims can go camping, stay in log cabins etc it’s the neighbourhood with the pier to it and works well as a holiday place for my sims. I wish we had a tropical world for holidays other then selvadorada as much as I love that world we need a residential version of a more tropical place for sims to live.
  • Options
    tatselktatselk Posts: 520 Member

Following for ideas since I want to send my Sims on more vacations!

Have been trying to build more tourist-attraction-ish builds so that there is more of a point for Sims to go there.

For example, in Sulani, I built a museum that showcases traditional islander art/culture. And an overwater seafood restaurant for Sims to enjoy the seaside scenery along with their food.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,742 Member
    I just got inspired by reading a few threads above. What if you created a 'working farm' experience for your Sims in HoB? Your Sims would have to plant, weed, water, harvest, etc. and keep the livestock alive and well.

If we had horses, which we don't, you could make it a working ranch experience. Oh well, as my late mother used to say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." And, no, she didn't make that one up.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    With my style of gameplay I imagine Sulani, Mt Komorebi, Oasis Springs, Strangerville, and Tartosa to be too far away from every day travel so unless a family lives here they only visit these destinations during vacation.

Sulani has been completely redesign as a vacation destination in my game with several rental lots, restaurants, beaches, a spa, Cafe, and bar. I have enough here that sims can vacation here for a week and I don't get bored of gameplay. I also turned the largest lot into a National Park/campground.

Oasis Springs- I turned the large stand alone park into a National Park with a large swimmable lake, room for camping, and several outdoor activities. The skyward palms neighborhood has been reimagined into a Morrican inspired get away. I also have a Star Wars themed rental in Oasis Springs and a Spanish styled rental.

Strangerville- The elevated neighborhood has been completely replaced by builds created with the dessert lux kit and includes rentals as well as a camping area, outdoor merchant Park, a pool, and a Spa.
    The lower part of strangerville has a large hotel looking build but it's actually just a pool. Hopefully one day I can turn it into a real hotel.

Mt Komorebi- the snowy part is used for vacationing, I have a ski lodge looking spa on the large lot, the onsen, and 2 rentals. The lower part is also primarily used for vacations with rental lots, restaurants, museums, a tea house, boba bar, and large park.

Midnight hollow- I turned the main part into a camp ground with 2 camping lots, a pool, and an icecream restaurant.
  • Options
    I want to do more with Del Sol Valley bc the world is fairly underused by me and I think it could make for a fun destination world but I haven't totally figured out what to do with it yet.
    Tartosa is still a WIP for me. Its one of my favorite worlds and I currently have a few families living there. I downloaded a beach club lot and a "winery" from the gallery as well as a beautiful Mediterranean inspired rental home.
    I have a few other rental lots sprinkled about in the various worlds.
  • Options
    I just got inspired by reading a few threads above. What if you created a 'working farm' experience for your Sims in HoB? Your Sims would have to plant, weed, water, harvest, etc. and keep the livestock alive and well.

If we had horses, which we don't, you could make it a working ranch experience. Oh well, as my late mother used to say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." And, no, she didn't make that one up.

On the 64x64 lot I have a kids camp I downloaded from the Gallery. I added animals and crops. I pretend it is a kids summer camp. I "move" kids(campers) and teens(counselors) there to stay for a week from time to time. I also created a campers club and a counselors club to increase the number of people on the lot. They work the crops and take care of the animals as well as other outdoor activities.
  • Options
    netney52 wrote: »
    So far I have mt komorebi, sulani, tartosa for the winter/summer get aways, henford on bagley for the relaxing country break, san myshuno for a city break and turned one of the copperdale neighbourhoods into a granite falls area 2.0 where sims can go camping, stay in log cabins etc it’s the neighbourhood with the pier to it and works well as a holiday place for my sims. I wish we had a tropical world for holidays other then selvadorada as much as I love that world we need a residential version of a more tropical place for sims to live.

I considered turning that neighborhood in Copperdale to a Granite Falls style getaway and I probably will eventually. It seems like a great spot for a vacation. Currently I have several families that live in that neighborhood
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,564 Member
    Hmmm you folks have inspired me to do more in the way of vacation stuff.

At the moment I only have:
    2 lots in Mt Komorebi (the snowy area)
    3 lots in Sulani
    1 on Brindleton Bay beach
    2 or 3 in Tartosa, I can't remember offhand

But I have 3 worlds I don't really play in, I think I may convert them to vacation worlds with rentals and suitable community lots.

Del Sol Valley, maybe a sort of town vibe with museum, cinema, souvenir store etc.

Forgotten Hollow with a haunted house experience and the possibility of meeting real-life vampires at the Crypt Club.

Glimmerbrook for a getting back to nature experience. Not sure what community lots I could have there.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,018 Member
    edited May 2023
    in Sulani I am using Lani St Taz for tourism

only Kahananuis live there but I moved them on smaller lot since I used their lot for hotel in hopes we get the hotel functionality one day

theres also rental and dorky looking "yacht" there that I built for vacation purposes

I am considering also doing some type of old hotel/inn for Mt.Komorebi maybe where Akiyamas live but I'd have to move Akiyamas so :sweat_smile:

I also have couple rentals as I kept one of the original snowy ones and then theres grudge house also in Senbamachi thats available

Windenburg, will most definitely have inn in old town center that doubles as bar

and my sims medieval builds are gonna be on island so there might be some lodging there

Strangerville maybe the trailer but also i did put couple rooms when i made saloon out of that get famous set dressing stuff I hope we get real saloon b/b one day

Henford I have Frogs Wallow in Old New Henford

Oasis Springs maybe rental somewhere

might also put rental house in Tartosa

magnolia promenade? possibly.

rental for brindleton mayhaps?

considered Forgotten Hollow but honestly do I ever leave Forgotten Hollow ? No.
    so making it vacation would only restrict me

I will keep it residential only while obviously inviting in any delicious looking necks for stay overs or such

and Glimmerbrook i might make B&B or something but honestly i am stuck between styles there so remains to be seen

oh and everywhere is tent approved

otherwise I don't really have plans or space for that matter
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Henford on Bagley has a haunted castle for rent in my game. If you hire a butler, it's pretty much a self contained vacation lot. Whenever I build vacation destinations I try to think of what would be the attraction of the area. I also have a rental in Forgotten Hollow, I send my sims there for exercise, fresh air and relaxation. And of course, vampires. I did redesign the neighbourhood to have brighter, more cheerful appearance so the vampires nest is not that obvious.

ooh, is the castle on the gallery?
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    joRN1414 wrote: »

There is an older version of it on the gallery, but I will upload current version to the gallery tonight. I have changed the landscaping around it and added a pool.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Windenburg is a great place for a vacation. Your Sims can tour the haunted mansion, grab a latte, go dancing, and maybe catch sight of the sea serpent Emily.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My poor sims don’t get vacations. I immediately change all vacation lots to residential.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Windenburg is a great place for a vacation. Your Sims can tour the haunted mansion, grab a latte, go dancing, and maybe catch sight of the sea serpent Emily.

I need to find or create some sort of Windenburg rental in the historic looking part of town. I have some vacation options on the crumbling isle part but I don't totally associate it with the rest of Windenburg.
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »
    My poor sims don’t get vacations. I immediately change all vacation lots to residential.

It's never too late to give it a try. I find that certain worlds I enjoy but don't play in often. Vacations give a nice opportunity to visit these worlds without committing to them for regular gameplay.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,543 Member
    MichelleW wrote: »
    One of my favorite things to do in game is send my sims on vacation. I was curious if anyone has any great ideas or lots that you have used to create vacation destinations within residential worlds.

I like to send my writer sim to Sulani for a working vacation.
    He lived in San Myshuno, which is very different from Sulani, and makes Sulani all the more enjoyable to visit.

This was before rental homes were a thing in The sims 4.
    I had him buy a plot of land as a retail business and use it as a vacation home.
    06-24-19_2-11-55nbspAM.png

He would slowly build up the property over time.
    06-25-19_12-36-24nbspPM.png

We have rental homes now, so I don't need to do this anymore, but I like the idea of sims owning vacation property.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    joRN1414 wrote: »

Hey, @joRN1414 , castle is now up on the gallery if you want to check it out.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/50A61802F0F711ED8430BBDE0A17B9B0?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=crocobaura&max=50&maxis=false
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    @crocobaura very cool!! Thank you.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »
    MichelleW wrote: »

I like to send my writer sim to Sulani for a working vacation.
    He lived in San Myshuno, which is very different from Sulani, and makes Sulani all the more enjoyable to visit.

This was before rental homes were a thing in The sims 4.
    I had him buy a plot of land as a retail business and use it as a vacation home.
    06-24-19_2-11-55nbspAM.png

He would slowly build up the property over time.
    06-25-19_12-36-24nbspPM.png

We have rental homes now, so I don't need to do this anymore, but I like the idea of sims owning vacation property.

I also like the idea of sims owning vacation properties. I wish EA would make this possible.
  • Options
    HaymitzHaymitz Posts: 27 Member
    I turned most Sulani residential lots into rental 😀
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,742 Member
    I find myself loath to change the existing worlds, too much. But, when sending my Sims to Sulani for a vacation, part of that implies nobody is stuck cooking, right? I got fed up not long ago with the absolute lack of eateries on the island. So, I imported, or tried to anyway, one from the gallery. Didn't fare too well. I ended up having to delete it. Too big, I guess and too crowded inside. If I try again, I'll either build it from scratch myself, or I'll gut the interior and place tables in such a way as to give it a more restauranty flow, if you will. I've never seen such a place so very crowded before. I sometimes wonder what bee gets inside a builder's bonnet that causes such disarray in a build.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I find myself loath to change the existing worlds, too much. But, when sending my Sims to Sulani for a vacation, part of that implies nobody is stuck cooking, right? I got fed up not long ago with the absolute lack of eateries on the island. So, I imported, or tried to anyway, one from the gallery. Didn't fare too well. I ended up having to delete it. Too big, I guess and too crowded inside. If I try again, I'll either build it from scratch myself, or I'll gut the interior and place tables in such a way as to give it a more restauranty flow, if you will. I've never seen such a place so very crowded before. I sometimes wonder what bee gets inside a builder's bonnet that causes such disarray in a build.

The orignal bar is a good place to eat. There are also a couple of food stands on the beach, but one of them is really hidden because I can rarely find it. There's also a food festival happening in the big square across the road from the bar, so you can eat there sometimes.
    In my game, I have a spa where they eat either from the bar or buffet tables. There is also a cafe, but I'm considering turning this into maybe a boba tea shop. I also recently made a boat rental, whoever rents it will have to get a butler too, so no cooking. Your post reminded me that I had plans for a fancy seafood restaurant, but haven't got around to building it. Wish we could hire hula dancers for entertainment.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,703 Member
    Because weddings are such an unpredictable disaster in the Sims 4, I have devised the method of the destination wedding. There are ton of excellent venues on the gallery, even before wedding venues were a thing, I used to put Castles on 64 x 64 lot Windenberg and big 50x 50 lot at the north corner of Mt. Komorebi. As a destination weddings, I have a lot more control over how everything goes down and if it fails, we will all be there for a while, so no where to escape. It also allows for the best wedding photos.

I renovated the Old Quarter Inn in Windenberg, as suggested, as an inn, with rooms on the 2nd floor which in theory you can rent. That was my last project but I have never actually tried it though, because sometimes rentals in residential worlds don’t always work for me. Sometimes the game will say "lot not available" or other times I visit the lot but can’t get in. It came out really nice too as everything is candle lit, as if you steping back into time and everything is decorated as if it was the 1700's.

I’ve played in beach houses in Brindleton Bay for a long weekend getaway, like the wealthy go to Martha’s Vineyard. It’s just beautiful and peaceful. My simself engaged to there, and we invited friends and family over to celebrate.

On ocassion I like to turn the vacation rentals in Hendford -on-Bagley or Mt. Komorebi
    into residences, when sorting out moving families about, and need room. I have the two royal family households, I never play with but want them in my game as npc’s. I fear if I keep them in the library the game deletes them as they have others. It’s cute because I imagine very rich people like the royal family able to rent vacation homes like this for a season or longer.

I have downloaded Burning Man and Coachella lots from the gallery, and toyed with the idea of making it a camp site, for a weekend event in Oasis Springs and or Strangerville. That’s just another project I never sat down to complete.