Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to do with a raging werewolf?

The title says it all: What am I, as the player, supposed to do with a werewolf at full moon when he forcibly turns and his interactions are limited to running around, destroying objects and scaring people? I suppose if free will was on, I'd be trying to stop him from wreaking havoc, and that would be enough to keep me busy during the night. But because of the sims' artificial stupidity, I prefer to play with free will off, so all I can do is... wait it out? There has to be a more fun or productive way to kill time, right?

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I have had raging werewolves swim. I could send them into the lake and they can't scare others whilst swimming. Raging sims can also still search the ground for collectibles if you have that perk onlocked.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited May 2023
    Well, the two options the game steers you toward are

Wildfang type option: scare people, destroy stuff, maybe go for a run
    Moonwood type option: lock yourself in a room until it passes (or until you successfully pull yourself out of it, when you learn that perk)

Some other things my weres have done:
    Scavenging the ground
    Purposely scaring and fighting the same person repeatedly (if it's someone who deserves it, of course)
    Various methods of reducing fury so that you don't rampage, or don't rampage very often. There are a lot of these as you level up. Some of them are more effective in a group, like the one where a were can pacify another were. This is a very powerful ability since it reduces fury from any level to zero. Two weres with this ability can make it so that neither one ever rampages, if that's what they want.

I honestly never get tired of them howling, so my rampaging weres tend to hang around howling a lot :)
    AWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I let my raging werewolf loose in San Myshuno during a Flea Market festival. It was hilarious and tons of fun.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited May 2023
    Yeah I too find myself tad lost with what to do once my played sim turns into werewolf since i play autonomy off and they just be standing there calm as ever :sweat_smile:

I usually just direct them to run around the neighborhood aimlessly and howl maybe destroy some things maybe swim anything that appears to be possible i guess
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I normally play with autonomy off, but when they are about to rampage I turn it back on, lock them out of the house so they don't destroy their house and let them have at it everywhere else they want to. They do a lot of sniffing around, running all over the place and howling. Maybe next time I will send them to the bar before they change, just to test out what happens. >:)
  • Options
    itsTheSimsGuyitsTheSimsGuy Posts: 77 Member
    Just lock them in an empty room (or any room)
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Moonwood type option: lock yourself in a room until it passes (or until you successfully pull yourself out of it, when you learn that perk)
    That's the thing, the werewolf in question had the ability to control his transformations, and an additional ability to reduce rage by howling. Neither was available during the full moon, probably by design. (Although with TS4, you never know...)

I don't want to completely suppress the nature of my werewolves by locking them up or preventing their transformations, or else I wouldn't be playing as them in the first place. But I want to be able to do stuff with them while they're raging, other than just running around and scaring people, which may be a worthwhile pastime for mischievous wolves, but not for everyone. I'm a little disappointed because this seems to be yet another TS4 feature that sounded great in theory but wasn't properly thought through, like the StrangerVille zombies that can't interact with anything in their possessed state, and we're supposed to just sit there and look at them for in-game hours until they turn back.

Atreya33 wrote: »
    I have had raging werewolves swim. I could send them into the lake and they can't scare others whilst swimming. Raging sims can also still search the ground for collectibles if you have that perk onlocked.
    I'll try that, thanks! At least it's something.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Well a plus side with raging wolvies is that the household members really improve their handiness skill whilst repairing stuff. Love those wolvies!
  • Options
    I have given up on this particular werewolf. His temperaments made him rage once a day because I couldn't reconcile them with his everyday life. Resetting the temperaments via lunar howl gave him slightly less annoying ones, but it was still too much for me to handle along with his fame, an infant in the house, and chickens that kept aging despite animal aging being turned off. So I decided to look for a cure, which was ridiculously hard to get, and even as a dedicated occult player, I'm pretty fed up with werewolves at this point.

Well, one thing I have learned is that you can't be a werewolf on the side, like with all the other occults. You are a werewolf first and have to build the rest of your life around that. The next time I feel like playing as a werewolf, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll let him live alone and unemployed in an off-the-grid cabin where he can do whatever he wants all day, no obligations besides whatever his temperaments demand of him, and see where we go from there.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I have given up on this particular werewolf. His temperaments made him rage once a day because I couldn't reconcile them with his everyday life. Resetting the temperaments via lunar howl gave him slightly less annoying ones, but it was still too much for me to handle along with his fame, an infant in the house, and chickens that kept aging despite animal aging being turned off. So I decided to look for a cure, which was ridiculously hard to get, and even as a dedicated occult player, I'm pretty fed up with werewolves at this point.

Well, one thing I have learned is that you can't be a werewolf on the side, like with all the other occults. You are a werewolf first and have to build the rest of your life around that. The next time I feel like playing as a werewolf, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll let him live alone and unemployed in an off-the-grid cabin where he can do whatever he wants all day, no obligations besides whatever his temperaments demand of him, and see where we go from there.

The cure is very hard. Learning the recipe can take up a long time. Maybe learning the recipe could have been a bit easier.

Playing a werewolf on the side is possible if you are willing to allow yourself a cheat. I use a mod to pick the temperaments I want. My werewolves earn the lunar howl perk without cheats. But once they did the legit lunar howl, I use a mod to pick the temperaments myself. I find some temperaments easy to handle, I guess it depends on play style. With the lunar howl without cheats it is possible to randomly get two positive (blue) temperaments so I allow my werewolves two positive temperaments. This combined with the perk that protects my werewolf from the full moon, makes it possible to play a werewolf without constantly focusing on the werewolf gameplay. I am even considering to remove the lunar resistance because at times these sims are not werewolfy enough anymore.

The right temperaments make a huge difference. I play a werewolf with the romantic trait, living with his girlfriend and the frisky temperament. It was horrible with at least one rampage a day. But now he has temperaments that suit his personality better. For example the temperament to always be clean is an easy one for me.
  • Options
    Yeah, getting the cure was a chore, and quite unintuitive as well. My werewolf had to read Greg's diary about seven times to finally find the recipe, not to mention everything that was necessary to even obtain the bloody book in the first place. I would never have figured that out by myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind things being difficult from time to time, but making the cure of all things so hard to come by when you're already sick of being a werewolf just feels like bullying. (Unless other occults are equally hard to cure, I never tried because none of them have ever annoyed me this much.)

The cheat to pick temperaments sounds good to me. I didn't even realise there were postive blue temperaments as well, mine were always red and only made the rage bar fill up faster. I'll keep that in mind, but for someone else. The sim I just cured will definitely stay human.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 718 Member
    The raging allows them to gain more points more quickly. You can earn temperaments that help them gain control. Yes, it is fulltime for a week or two, but it is over quickly. In the meantime, make sure they have the smell and scavenge abilities and use the rampaging time to collect things.

I have played a lot of werewolves. They all calm down pretty quickly. The worse the rampages, the quicker the rampaging stage is over. And they are more powerful and have collected more stuff.

It is a stage like infants and toddlers. Just ride it out. They mature out of it. They are just like big babies.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    ^ That.
    I locked mine in a room with lots of objects she could destroy. Destroying objects gives you points. I got all of hers that way, beyond a little bit of reading she did. She made it all the way up the ranks fairly quickly that way. Once I had enough points to unlock all of the perks, I went through and picked out the most useful ones. Now she rarely rages and when she does, she has the ability to calm herself.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Yeah, getting the cure was a chore, and quite unintuitive as well. My werewolf had to read Greg's diary about seven times to finally find the recipe, not to mention everything that was necessary to even obtain the bloody book in the first place. I would never have figured that out by myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind things being difficult from time to time, but making the cure of all things so hard to come by when you're already sick of being a werewolf just feels like bullying. (Unless other occults are equally hard to cure, I never tried because none of them have ever annoyed me this much.)

The other cures aren't hard at all, because a mundane sim can attempt to create them (mermaid kelp from the dive buyos or from satisfaction points, vampire cure from high vampire lore, a bar and three ingredients, spellcaster just has to ask a sage to quit).
    Only the werewolves are stuck at having to make their cure by themselves (mine dug up the diary by accident one day). And not just the cure: My hobby fisher can't even cook a lunar fish for her werewolf friends, because that recipe is locked to weres. My were to the contray can treat his vampire husband to all the vampire drinks/dishes.
  • Options
    ImpulsiveRaptorImpulsiveRaptor Posts: 16 Member
    > @lisamwitt said:
    > ^ That.
    > I locked mine in a room with lots of objects she could destroy. Destroying objects gives you points. I got all of hers that way, beyond a little bit of reading she did. She made it all the way up the ranks fairly quickly that way. Once I had enough points to unlock all of the perks, I went through and picked out the most useful ones. Now she rarely rages and when she does, she has the ability to calm herself.

That's brilliant! I need to try that.