Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with a lot of packs is overwhelming

Over the years I've been buying packs through sales but I don't always get to play them right away. You know how it is, play for a month like a goblin who doesn't need sunlight and then don't touch the game for a year. Problem is, everytime I do come back, it feels overwhelming and I'm sure I'm missing out on features.

I'm thinking about disabling all the packs, playing base game for a while, and then enable packs as the need arise. Some packs obviously go with others, like Parenthood and the new one Get Growing Growing Together. Following release order would not work well, I'll probably need Seasons before Outdoor Retreat. Same for packs adding worlds, enabling them too fast would not leave enough time to explore them all.

I'm thinking maybe make a couple of households per world, and they would each have a theme so I can use them to play each packs (big family, explorers, party goers, etc). I know about the Lepacy challenge but I'd prefer something with less rules. I found these [infographics](https://www.reddit.com/gallery/or5j3n) which are nice to quickly check what comes with what pack.

Maybe I'm overthinking this (yes, yes you are) but I can't be the only one who's thought about this. What order would you go with? And if you did something similar let me know how it went!

Comments

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited April 2023
    Ninoosim wrote: »
    You know how it is, play for a month like a goblin who doesn't need sunlight and then don't touch the game for a year. Problem is, everytime I do come back, it feels overwhelming and I'm sure I'm missing out on features.

This describes me also! :o

My solution to the overwhelm is generally to come up with elaborate plans and stories to try cover as much as possible. Though I figure it’s an impossibility now to have a single Sim/household/game do everything. Certainly not all at once/quickly.
    I didn’t even know we could disable and enable packs?!?
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    edited April 2023
    I totally get where you’re coming from with this! I tend not to disable packs I already have, but instead I plan out a household or something that will let me try out all the new features one pack at a time just to scope them out. For example making a werewolf family, or a photographer, or building a penthouse apartment.

As for what order to play them in, I’d recommend you go with your favourites first! Whichever you’re most drawn to, depending on whether you like new build items, worlds, life states etc. Then when you start to get “Sims fatigue” again maybe enable another pack to keep things fresh.
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    I didn’t even know we could disable and enable packs?!?

Here! It's really cool for when you need to build something and don't want to have all the clutter in the catalog!
  • Options
    graecyngraecyn Posts: 7 New Member
    I disable things when I'm working on pets or CC so that I don't have to worry about loading in all my mods whenever I need to restart the game a jillion times. My game launches from Steam, so I add this to the Properties launch options to disable everything but what I need (right now, this disables everything I own, packs, kits, stuff packs included) with the exception of Cats and Dogs and High School Years.

-disablepacks:EP01,EP02,EP03,EP05,EP06,EP07,EP08,EP09,EP10,EP11,GP01,GP02,GP03,GP04,GP05,GP06,GP07,GP08,GP09,GP10,GP11,GP12,SP01,SP02,SP03,SP04,SP05,SP06,SP07,SP08,SP09,SP10,SP11,SP12,SP13,SP14,SP15,SP16,SP17,SP18,SP19,KP01,KP02,KP03,KP04,KP05,KP06,KP07
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2023
    I think its lovely idea for new save adding packs in release order and playing them through
    unfortunately for myself I am too attached to my current save to do it :lol:

I'll just be overwhelmed :sweat_smile:
    but yeah if you can I think you should go for it
    certainly makes things whole lot easier

if you plan to play premades i'd also finish premades from each pack before moving to another pack
    it would spare you from the chaos I have put myself in with these mismatch aged sims all going to highschool :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    This is a fun idea for sure! I am also just too attached to my current save. I am not a builder so I download the "platonic ideal" for each lot (at least in my opinion) and overhaul all the townies across all worlds for my template save. It takes months to do, and I'm such a perfectionist that I typically completely redo the template once a year.

That being said, I do understand this and I also have quite a few features I've never even touched. I'm a realistic player, so this means a ton of things (werewolves, vampires, spellcasting, even the scientist career) just haven't been experienced by me. As for realistic features, I try and have my legacies children "Try out" a few things. In each generation, I try to plug in say, an extreme sports enthusiast, or a photographer, or someone that decides to live out in the desert or the woods.

Let us know how your experiment goes!
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited April 2023
    This sounds to complicated lol. Rather than to do all that I think it's easier just to focus on one particular family and story at a time. Then rotate to a total different story and/or family when you feel the need.
    I know how you feel. I still have not gotten the chance to fully experience highschool years or werewolves or all of jungle adventures and many other things because when I take my sim breaks so much is added lol. But rather than to over think it I pick a family, a storyline that incorporates a certain pack or feature and go with it. I wouldn't want to disable packs because even though I'm playing with infants and mainly growing Together stuff for example, I'm still using vampires, incorporating werewolves as rivals, using stuff from snowy escape, using get together features and clubs for my parties, using other worlds for retail lots or other types of lots to visit. Using social bunny from highschool. Currently using dumpsters and pollution from eco pack on my lot. I have a dog.
    And so on. I feel like in a way I almost use a bit of everything and would hate to disable something and miss out.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Your first description is incredibly accurate 😂
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited April 2023
    My game play has been truly weird with The Sims 4.
    Progression has been so slow because of waiting for Toddlers and family game play, University, High School etc.

I am playing dozens of sims in rotation, mainly at the toddler stage, and not focusing on the CAS generated parents as much, so my main packs have been Parenthood, High School Years, Discover University, and now, Growing Together. I haven't really bothered with career packs like Get To Work, Get Famous, or Dream Home Decorator because I plan to focus on those after my sims graduate University.

If I were to start over and introduce packs over time, I think I would divide it up into phases.
    The first phase would be to try to get core game play in combination with starting off with support for the Young Adult life stage's social and career needs.

The second stage would support family game play, and expand on careers further.

The final stage would be adding niche game play.
    But yeah, this is overwhelming, so many packs, and I haven't even bothered with Kits. :p
    packs2.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Another way is to try to cut the amount of packs in half and just include the packs that make for a satisfying game.
    That's going to involve some tough choices. :p
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    This sounds to complicated lol. [...] I feel like in a way I almost use a bit of everything and would hate to disable something and miss out.

That's some nice insight and yeah, you're right. I do use a little bit of everything and it'd feel weird to not have a pet or weather.
    CK213 wrote: »
    If I were to start over and introduce packs over time, I think I would divide it up into phases.

furiously takes notes I just love to see how others do it :love:
  • Options
    ZerelthZerelth Posts: 35 Member
    I personally love having lots of stuff to do. I tend to make long family lines and with each child I try out a different aspect of the game. I don't really dabble in the Supernatural though, so I'm missing out on stuff as well, but it still gives you a chance to play different packs in a single family :wink:
    xn2jilzetfiu.pngshe/her
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I’ve tried disabling but as soon as I do I notice something is missing. For example, my Sims rarely travel so I disabled Outdoor Retreat, Jungle Adventures, and Snowy Escape. I immediately noticed Sentiments were gone, kitchen items were gone, etc.

I just discovered the other day that teens can graduate early if they have good grades due to High School Years. I actually think it’s nice discovering features organically over time. I don’t feel overwhelmed.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I like to mix everything together and new stuff eventually gets incorporated into my gameplay. When I make new sims I try to give them new traits, careers, hobbies different from other sims I've played and they are spread out in all the worlds, and sometimes they meet each others and date each others. Maybe you need to play more, one month a year is not enough if there are 2-3 packs released every year.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If you did want to disable things and sort of follow a LEPacy type challenge you could unlock a set few of packs/kits once a goal is reached. It doesn't have to be by generation. Look up guides for the packs and make a list of all the features you want to explore. If Seasons & Pets is a strong staple for your game then leave those packs in.

I got pretty far in TS3 LEPacy challenge. It was a fun experience and really made me appreciate TS3 base game. The only pack I really missed was Seasons but I did eventually unlock it. The creator intended for the challenge to be used in this kind of situation to explore all of the packs without being overwhelmed. It's totally customizable.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    BlackGirl73BlackGirl73 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2023
    In my game, each neighborhood has a theme. For example, all of my artist are living in Windenburg. One neighborhood for painters, one for musician and one for writers. And then I can build themed lots. A big (family) home, a starter, a shop and a café or restaurant. Then a single sim in each starter home and I have a "full" world.

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I have never ever "played a pack". (I might do a little testing of the items or functions, but I don't set out to just play that pack.) I buy packs and just incorporate into my everyday play style. Some of the features from certain packs I've never even done, because it just hasn't been something I needed for that save. But I use stuff from every pack, from the CAS to Build/Buy to the various worlds so I would miss every pack.

I guess I don't get overwhelmed by choices and things like that. I've heard people talk about how they didn't want a colorwheel again because TS3's CASt was overwhelming. I'm thinking to myself, but the game gave you preset swatches and choosing to change something was not required so they could have just ignored it. But then their response would be like, I know but then I'd miss out. *scratches head*

Anyway, there's no wrong or right way to play.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    The worst part for me is overlapping events, so I have Sims going to college classes on Christmas, and being asked to go light fireworks when they're just about to go to school.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Interesting....I didn't even realize this was a thing. I have all of the major packs, and I don't find them overwhelming--instead, I feel like it opens up my gameplay by giving me more options
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Interesting....I didn't even realize this was a thing. I have all of the major packs, and I don't find them overwhelming--instead, I feel like it opens up my gameplay by giving me more options

Actually for me, it's like they don't exist, because I don't think about features I'm not using.
    I can't remember the last time I used anything from Jungle Adventures.

No wait,
    I had students, from my Hogwarts test-play, go to my Jungle Adventures outfitters store to copypasto some pricey relics and take the copies so that acting Headmistress McGonagal could pay for the crazy expensive bills that the school had racked up.

[Finds a picture]
    01-08-22_11-11-40_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

That's just me though, because my sims are mostly focused on High School and University.
    So it's mostly base game, Parenthood, High School Years, Discover University, Get Together and Growing Together for me now.
    A little bit of Snowy Escape and Journey to Batuu vacations for my students, but those are the only packs I am using heavily. My student sims have (CAS) parents, but I haven't been paying attention to their parent's careers much. That will be for the next generation.

I will be getting reacquainted with a lot of packs once everyone is out of Uni.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Interesting....I didn't even realize this was a thing.

It's a mix between choice paralysis and feeling like I need to play my money's worth for each pack or else why am I even buying them, you know? But I'm working on it and trying to let go a little more.

• Options
    SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    I'm coming up to 200 hours of game time since coming back to the game, and I still feel the same way.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I could never! :D

Seriously, I waited soooo long for some of these features. I would definitely not willingly choose to go without any of them now.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2023
    I went a few years not playing but bought the packs knowing I would come back. And I found it overwhelming too. I ended up mostly just playing legacy style and ignoring most things in the pack.

To fix that I make a conscious effort to play each pack. I just pick a pack I want to play then use the CAS, live in the world and do the features in that pack. I don’t disable the others but I mostly focus on the pack I chose. It’s a lot of fun to explore them all like this. I am just trying strangerville first time 😁
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I kind of feel like that but it is pleasant for me I bought it cause I am a die hard simmer but I would really have to step away if I only liked new things but never felt I got enough. Something else is trying basic challenges have a legacy maybe on short and filter through base game and whichever pack you want to focus on until you feel you've had time for everything.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited April 2023
    I definitely wish I had started with fewer packs lol. I got Eco Living, City Living, Dine Out, Cats & Dogs, Realm of Magic and one or two others along with the basegame when I started out. It was very overwhelming figuring out how the heck everything worked when I was getting Eco Lifestyle NAP behavior, inspectors, City Living festival messages, and my first sim I made in Story Mode and it made him a spellcaster so it took me a long time to figure out why his needs panel looked so different from his daughter's...

Since I only started in 2020 there still are a lot of available packs that I haven't added yet.
    There are a few more on my list to get sometime when I feel like making my game more complicated. (Looking at you, Vampires and Parenthood.)
    Some others that I'm dubious I'll ever want to spend the money on. Either because they're underdeveloped, or riddled with bugs, or because I don't want to support the basic premise of the pack.

I think I'd be overwhelmed all over again if I had everything in my game. (Also a lot poorer)

Definitely recommend @graecyn 's advice above about disabling packs of your choice.
    Just be aware that if you play a save game with fewer packs than you previously played that save game, sims or lots that you play might be missing objects from those packs, like hairstyles, clothing, furniture etc. And then you will have to put each of those back manually when you re-add the pack.