Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How (if at all) do your sims celebrate the holidays in their calendar?

kerryemmiebethkerryemmiebeth Posts: 400 Member
I have been simming ever since the first Sims game came out and I have to say I am very set in my ways in the way that I play my game. I am always up for new ideas though. These past few weeks I have had more time than usual to be able to spend on the forum and I have been thoroughly enjoying reading about people's very different ways of playing the game. One of the ways that has really caught my attention has been the story-telling aspect of the game. I am NOT a creative person. I really wish I was but I seem to live with a permanent creativity block and this applies to all aspects of my life. However, with using the camera to take screenshots I have discovered that I actually can tell my Sims's stories rather than just rushing through their lives.

Just now the Love Day holiday rolled round in the calendar. Elle Washington, a fifth generation sim in my Emery Legacy has just begun dating Atlas Michaelson and I thought I would send them out on a date and document it as it progressed. Usually I would just do the bare minimum to get the satisfaction points. This was much more fun and I feel so much more involved in their lives now.

Here is how the date went....

They began by taking a couple of selfies to commemorate the start of their first ever Love Day together.
52788277647_44bd916da5_o.pngAtlas and Elle take photos to commemorate the start of their first Love Day celebration by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr
52789223635_27b2c8cdfe_o.pngAtlas and Elle on Love Day by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr

They exchanged gifts. Elle gave Atlas a stylish black and red Grim's Ghoulish Guitar and Atlas gave Elle a Dr F's Robotic Workstation. That may seem like a strange gift but he knew how much Elle wanted to get into robotics after seeing a Servo one of her cousin's had made at his house. I'm not sure how either present managed to fit into those tiny boxes but both sims were over the moon with what they received.
52789224080_2a42641a07_o.pngAtlas and Elle exchange Love Day gifts by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr
52789284188_282cb3213c_o.pngAtlas and Elle exchange Love Day gifts by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr
52789063519_cb54243d8b_o.pngThey both loved their gifts by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr

They started their date at Elle's favourite place; The Tudor Cat Cafe in San Sequoia.
52789225135_9f824a2e26_o.pngThey started their date at Elle's favourite place....the Tudor Cat Cafe in San Sequoia by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr

The date was going very well. The next night was Prom Night so Elle had decided to bring her homemade Promposal sign with her in her back pocket and took the opportunity to ask Atlas if he would be her Prom date. He excitedly agreed!
52789285223_f937fdb9ae_o.pngThe next day was prom and Elle decided to present her Promposal sign to Atlas by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr
52788279242_02b711553f_o.pngThe date was going well by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr

They finished their date with a late-night romantic movie. Elle's Mum and Gran had agreed that there wouldn't be a curfew set that night so the young lovebirds made the most of their evening together.
52788279377_74d390409d_o.pngThey finished the date with a late night romantic movie. Luckily Elle's Mum and Gran had agreed their would be no curfew tonight. by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr

So that was Love Day for Elle and Atlas...and for me. I really enjoyed slowing down and actually playing the game rather than just rushing through it solely for the purpose of collecting Satisfaction Points. From now on I plan on putting more thought into the Sim holidays in my calendar and playing through them each time. I will also extend this to events such as birthday parties etc. I have quite a few holidays in my calendar. In addition to the holidays that are already there I have included some that are more relevant to where I live in the UK, ie Boxing Day and Bonfire Night. I have also added Mother's Day and Father's Day in and I have made some up such as Children's Day and National Spa Day.

I would love to hear about how you celebrate your holiday's with your Sims and what holidays you have made up for them.

Sorry for the long post. I have only just learned how to post pictures but now I really need to learn how to hide them behind a spoilers tab!!

Comments

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    In my games? Poorly.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Glad you are having fun @kerryemmiebeth :)

(I mean... what is the satisfaction in just racking up satisfaction points?)

I love doing the holidays differently each time they roll around, based on which sims I have in my game at that point and what ages they are. On one recent memorable Love Day, my sim's evil ex-boyfriend Roderick Goth (son of Bella and Mortimer) autonomously showed up at the lounge where she was singing to an empty room, didn't say any evil things all night, and well, the next day she was pregnant....
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited April 2023
    It all depends on the sim. Kris Kringle spent the holidays crafting and knitting gifts, and then giving the gifts to random sims on the street.

51756425848_c4c7c4b552_h.jpg
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Did at first, but not so much anymore.
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »
    It all depends on the sim. Kris Kringle spent the holidays crafting and knitting gifts, and then giving the gifts to random sims on the street.

51756425848_c4c7c4b552_h.jpg

I love that!!
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I like some of the holidays more than others. New Year's watching the TV countdown is always fun and they don't always do it at home, opening presents at Winterfest is good, especially if low on cash though sometimes Father Winter gets ignored, along with the Easter Bunny. I usually just do one gnome per person then delete them. Prank day I mostly ignore unless a sim is into that, and fight day is always a fail. Each game I play also has a special holiday which doesn't come up too often, but they were fun to create.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2023
    Depends on the sim/household. Sometimes I'll make plans to go on vacation or visit another lot but the day ends up being too busy with something else. Kinda sounds a lot like RL.

A few months ago I renovated one of the larger Granite Falls cabins and turned it into a Christmas themed family cabin for the sole purpose of Winterfest. It's not something I'll use for every household. I only recently used it for the first time because the premade family I'm currently playing lived in a small house with a lot of kids and not a lot of space so they took a day trip to the Christmas cabin I renovated.

Here's my list saved on a storage drive for holiday ideas... I don't always use all of these holidays nor do I stick to the traditions but it's a good guideline for my own game. * I also use a few mods for more holiday icons, unlocked hidden traditions, and additional traditions.
    Fools Day / Day off x
    - Streaking
    - Talk Like a Pirate
    - Mischief Spirit
    - Holiday Gnomes
    - Purchase a Lottery Ticket

Fitness Day / Day off x
    - Exercise
    - Fasting
    - Water Fun
    - Do Laundry
    - Cleaning

Egg Day / Day off √
    - Egg Hunt
    - Flower Bunny
    - Grand Meal

Love Day / Day off x
    - Romantic Spitit
    - Give Flowers
    - Go on a Date
    - Free Food and Drink
    - Watch Romantic TV

Earth Day / Day off x
    - Cleaning
    - Gardening
    - Make Resolutions
    - Skill Improvement
    - Thankful Spirit

Family Day / Day off √
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Give Gifts
    - Games
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Arts & Music Spirit

4th of Summer / Day off x
    - Fireworks
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Drinking
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Water Fun

Leisure Day / Day off √
    - Go on a Vacation or Travel
    - Water Fun
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Drinking

Midsummer / Day off x
    - Art & Music Spirit
    - Fire
    - Give Flowers
    - Invite Guests
    - Holiday Gnomes

Skill Day / Day off x
    - Fishing
    - Skill Improvement
    - Baking
    - Dancing
    - Play an Instrument

Deal Day / Day off x
    - Fighting
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Purchase a Lottery Ticket

Harvestfest / Day off √
    - Grand Meal
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Sports TV
    - Air Grievances
    - Baking

Spooky Day / Day off x
    - Tell Stories
    - Carve Pumpkin
    - Wear Costumes
    - Trick or Treat
    - Watch Movies

Souls Day / Day off x
    - Attend Holiday Ceremony
    - Remembrance
    - Spooky Spirit
    - Party Spirit

Lazy Day / Day off √
    - Sleep
    - Games
    - Eat Popcorn
    - TV Season Premiere

Winterfest / Day off √
    - Decorate
    - Festive Spirit
    - Open presents
    - Grand Meal
    - Father Winter

New Year's Eve / Day off √
    - Party Spirit
    - Make Resolutions
    - Countdown to Midnight
    - Drinking
    - Fireworks

The spoiler tag works like this without spaces. Put the image format between spoiler. [ spoiler ]TEXTGOESHERE[ /spoiler ]

edit: I forgot to mention oshinsims has a YT video on holiday ideas + tips that I found useful.
    https://youtu.be/9lTK3RtozqY
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I usually have several sims in any given household, so I strip down the holiday events needed so I don't have a bunch of moody sims the day after. Love Day is just romantic interactions, The Big Game is eating and watching sports, Christmas is decor and opening presents, etc. For sims with families I will do Grand Meal + social events together on The Big Game or Christmas. The only new holidays I've done are "Christmas Eve" and then "Summer Vacation".
  • Options
    MrManyIdeasMrManyIdeas Posts: 203 Member
    One of the first changes I did in the calendar was to edit the Harvest fest so it does not get my sims any gnomes. I have been reading that it's safe to sell the gnomes but as I'm not really sure the just stand around everywhere in my worlds.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    One of the first changes I did in the calendar was to edit the Harvest fest so it does not get my sims any gnomes. I have been reading that it's safe to sell the gnomes but as I'm not really sure the just stand around everywhere in my worlds.

I always sell them. Sometimes I keep them around for a bit to get the seed packets, but if they misbehave and they usually do, I sell them with no regrets. They are quite expensive and with the money earnt from selling them you can buy many seed packets.
  • Options
    MrManyIdeasMrManyIdeas Posts: 203 Member
    > @crocobaura said:
    > I always sell them. Sometimes I keep them around for a bit to get the seed packets, but if they misbehave and they usually do, I sell them with no regrets. They are quite expensive and with the money earnt from selling them you can buy many seed packets.

OK, so it is safe to sell them. Good to know. :)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    The gnomes provide a nice bonus of 2100-2300 simoleons total if you give them gifts early in the morning and then sell the gnomes and all accumulated seed packets the next day. I usually take advantage of that in my game. Plus I find them amusing. And occasionally I have a character who likes to kick the gnomes, and must suffer the consequences XD
    There are easy guides to appeasing the gnomes online if you search.
  • Options

I like to collect the gnomes but I sell the spares. It does get a bit chaoticon subsequent Harvestfests though when there are loads of gnomes dropping seed packets and causing trouble.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,581 Member
    Taking time to enjoy what's going on in your Sims' lives is way more fun than simply rushing through. You might as well, just hit the fastest key >>> and let the game just fly by as you watch. So glad you tried another way and are enjoying it. This is also how people get attached to their Sims which does allow them to stick with that family.

Sadly, the most recent birthday party I threw in-game, was a total and complete failure. I may go ahead and do a game repair, as I couldn't get either the father or the mother to help their wee one blow out the candles. With all of the falderol going on, or I should say not going on as my Sim seemed glued to the floorboards, the timer ran out on the Event. I had to age up the kid, instead. So not the same.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2023
    Your love day is really nice!

I celebrated real life Halloween in the sims by making a spooky bowling alley and my sims had a Halloween party there. I celebrated real life Christmas with a few different sims taking pictures in Santa Hats and around a Christmas tree etc.

As for the in game calendar holidays, at one point or another I’ve made a big deal about all of them (except love day as it never comes at the right time) but now it really depends on what my sims are doing if I acknowledge them or not. I mostly try to tick most of the objectives but don’t spend much time on it now.

New Year’s Eve, I always do. I usually send them to their local bar and watch the tv show there. I love the ‘shoshooby’ bit where they count down, it’s one of my favourite things in the game.
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    My Sims will always participate in any Holiday activity unless they ignore it. I have the og ones plus Bunny Day, Leisure Day and Spooky Day. Another thing that can make my Sims not participate in activities are their jobs. Neither Bunny Day or Spooky Day are day off from work/school so I tend to complete as I can. :smile:
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Fun fact: This might be obvious to some but it depends on traits if a sim wants to do certain holiday traditions or not. The tradition will have a heart if the sim is interested. I normally focus on those if free time is slim to none. The sim shouldn't receive a sad moodlet for missing out on a holiday they don't care for (0 hearts).
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    I only have my own holidays in game and unless there is a reason for it, my sims usually participates. I use the clubs to create holiday groups where they can easily "invite" people for the holidays. It makes it simple to invite everyone with one click and I can set activities based on the holiday activities as well. Often that is groups with family members, but in my current game Angela has stopped talking to her sister Lilith after she stole from her house one time too often at just these kind of events. It puts a damper on Christmas if you find your TV missing after the holiday, so in her case the club is made out of close friends.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,855 Member
    My sims don't celebrate any holidays at this point. I delete every one of the default holidays. They will celebrate holidays at some point, but it will be ones I choose and on my schedule. I play with aging off so even though the game advances the seasons at a set pace, the years and the schedule of events moves at my pace. In my saves a single year may have dozens of springs, summers, etc. Or they may have only one. It's all down to the story and whatever fits the narrative at a given moment. Time is fluid.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited April 2023
    I try to have a few holidays spread around the year. I think it helps to get a sense of time passing.

I edited love day to replace the dating tradition with watching a romantic movie. My sims only date their love interest and I don't want pressure my single sims into dating.

I removed the gnome tradition from harvest fest. It was fun at first but I got tired of all the seed packets. The extra cash for the seeds and the gnomes felt too cheaty.

I spread winterfest over two days : winterfest eve and the actual winterfest.

I added a few extra days like spring cleaning and easter (flowerbunny, egghunt), a summer holiday where all sims get a few days off to go on vacation.

I have the calendar set to 2 weeks per season so I try to avoid having many holidays. About 2 per season.

My sims don't have to fulfill all the traditions every time. Sometimes I am focused on other goals and I just complete enough traditions to have a successful holiday.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I always play the main holidays with my Sims. I have one of my Sims invite their friends and family over to spend the day celebrating and everyone leaves feeling satisfied with the outcome. In these days when so many people in RL work from home, I created a 'Work from Home' holiday where the traditions are kept to a minimum and are easy to accomplish. These holidays also include group activities so the invited guests are able to earn satisfaction points as well. My working Sims get a day off with pay, a few extra satisfaction points and at least my main Sims get the opportunity to have a successful holiday. The only problem I have with the holidays is the fact that the NPCs get a sad moodlet from having a bad holiday. Why don't the NPCs celebrate on their own? Players shouldn't have to make sure everyone in the game has a successful holiday, especially when so many NPCs don't live anywhere in the worlds. And I am not going to invite NPCs to a friends and family get together just to avoid seeing their sad faces the next day. I don't know what the solution to this is, but it would make sense for the NPCs to ignore the calendar and treat holidays as just another day. I rarely use the premade holidays that pop up on the calendar. I like to make up my own or move the main holidays EA set up to days that make sense to me. Sim holidays are one of my favorite features to play around with and are seldom boring. You never know what might happen when a large group of Sims shows up.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I do most holidays, though I've modded a few out and added my own. They just do what they can, and usually have a good time.