Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you adopt family members that don't have parents?

Last week I was laying down the steps for my Bratz Babyz. As someone who often falls down rabbit holes of informal, I decided to make the (as accurate as I could make them) families of the 4 main Bratz girls that I would be doing as Babyz.

tl/dr I tried to adopt the niece and nephew of one of the uncles in the extended family of a character; they didn't have parents. And the option never came up, so I had to make parents for them. If you know how to do it, please help.

(Side note upon further research Bratz Babyz are described as babies but walk around like toddlers so I will probably end up doing more in their toddler forms than their infant forms, and then continuing to age them up.)

But when I got started on Chloe's (Cloe?) family I was immediately faced with some dilemmas. Beyond the fact that several members of her family had no picture description, and at least one uncle was described as either her mother or her father's biological brother. She had 2 cousins who's parents weren't mentioned at all. (Also very few people have last names in this universe 🙄) But they were described as being the niece and nephew of this uncle who is either mom or dad's brother.

At first I just added them in as toddlers, no parents. Because I didn't know who their parents were. I hadn't even made the main character or her siblings yet. I had decided to start from the beginning for once, so all family relationships would be automatically set in game. Though I had to cheat add the niece and nephew relationships to the two brothers.

But that led to another problem. Originally Uncle Marco was gonna raise the two cousins. All these extra family members were really just extra townies that I put in so that my new save has some cool Bratz in them, and they have their families. Growing Together made me soft. But then he couldnt adopt his niece or nephew. Not even before they were cheated to be so. They literally had no parents and only could be care dependents. The actual adopt option never came up.

So then I had to go back into CAS, after splitting the household a bit, and make their parents, and make sure these parents were the siblings of the two brothers.

Which is probably more accurate anyway. But it was A Lot of extra work when you were just adding in the background characters in the first place.

So how on earth do you adopt family members without all the effort? Or non family members? They were good friends, had good family dynamics, and were literally related. And the toddlers had no parents to care for them. They do now bc nothing worked, but I was going to ease and accuracy.
Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:

Comments

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    MCCC allows you to add some additional family relationships. You can set Sim B as mother to Sim A etc
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    In a recent game save, with the addition of Infants, I took a sim, never played, but had created and saved in my library. I aged her down and was just intending on letting her grow up, develop, and progress with her as she grows up. I was intending for her to be an orphan, so I placed her with a single premade sim. I really was not going to do much with the Young Adult female other than just a caretaker. She was originally just going to bounce around from household to household, but apparently, the game had other ideas. While the YA sim was playing with her and having tummy time, all of a sudden I had an option for the YA sim to adopt the little orphan infant. At the time they were not related, and their relationship was not really that high either. I am playing a vanilla game (no mods or CC).
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    In a recent game save, with the addition of Infants, I took a sim, never played, but had created and saved in my library. I aged her down and was just intending on letting her grow up, develop, and progress with her as she grows up. I was intending for her to be an orphan, so I placed her with a single premade sim. I really was not going to do much with the Young Adult female other than just a caretaker. She was originally just going to bounce around from household to household, but apparently, the game had other ideas. While the YA sim was playing with her and having tummy time, all of a sudden I had an option for the YA sim to adopt the little orphan infant. At the time they were not related, and their relationship was not really that high either. I am playing a vanilla game (no mods or CC).

So maybe it needed more time.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush: