Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Routing of the sinks!

Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
Has anyone else noticed this get very out of hand recently? Before my sims would have washed their hands and dishes in the sink that's in the same room as them. Lately it's got so bad that in the Bheeda house, they wash dishes in the sink in downstairs toilet instead of the kitchen sink. I've seen sims upstairs walking between bathroom to bathroom to wash their hands instead of the sink that's right next to them in the same room.

Was it always like this or did it get patched at some time?
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I’ve seen Sims grab their empty plate, leave the kitchen and head upstairs and I’m like what the heck are they doing only to realize they’re picking up an empty milk bottle that had been thrown on the ground.

Maybe they did something so the radius in which Sims look for objects to clean up has been expanded due to the new bottles and diapers.

Not sure about the hand washing part.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

@Brd709 This has been an issue a long time. The game is programmed to go to the nearest sink. To use the metaphor "as the bird flies". So think 3 dimensional, the sink upstairs is technically closer. The up and down doesn't seen to count either for actual distance, actually. If you flattened all floors of the house out onto a 2 dimensional plane, the 'closest' sink is where they go first.

I have a build now that I downloaded from the gallery. A really nice large building. But the Sims will go through a maze of hallways and stairs to reach the sink in the 3rd floor bathroom after using the first floor bathroom because the sink on that floor is directly above the toilet on the first floor. The sink in the bathroom on the first floor is about 6 tiles away from the toilet.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing since the toilet on the 3rd floor is above the sink on the first floor, when they use the toilet upstairs, they'll make their way down to the sink on the first floor. :D

Crazy I know. Something I watch for when playtesting my own builds.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    edited March 2023
    This is the Bheeda's house. In real life an aunt and uncle of mine used to live here.

The first floor:
    G4RT1D0.png

The second floor:
    EbajuFX.png

Recently i've directed the Bheeda's to use the toilet upstairs at the front of the house (behind the first bedroom) They'll use the right toilet but they'll finish up on the toilet to walk right down the hall and use the sink to wash their hands in the en-suite!

Same goes for meals. They'll eat in the dining room, but they'll wash their plates up in the sink in the downstairs toilet!

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I use a mod, so I haven’t seen this problem in ages!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    If you add a dishwasher to the kitchen they will stop using the bathroom sink to wash dishes. As for washing hands after using the toilet, they always wash their hands in the sink in the bathroom they are in, never had them travel between bathrooms to wash hands, let alone go on different floors to do that. Sometimes they might prefer to use the toilet upstairs instead of the one downstairs, but they will wash their hands there as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @Brd709 Difficult to know what's causing it. They SHOULD use the sink right next to the toilet. But maybe they like the fancy one upstairs better than the cheap one on the first floor bathroom? :D

I can see the toilet and the sink in the 1rst floor bathroom are technically overlapping. Try putting the sink in that square you're not using below the toilet in the screenshot. Have the sink pointing the same direction as the toilet instead of overlapping. :grey_question:

EDIT: This is what I mean by overlapping. ;)
    f8Eb4gR.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    @Brd709 Difficult to know what's causing it. They SHOULD use the sink right next to the toilet. But maybe they like the fancy one upstairs better than the cheap one on the first floor bathroom? :D

I can see the toilet and the sink in the 1rst floor bathroom are technically overlapping. Try putting the sink in that square you're not using below the toilet in the screenshot. Have the sink pointing the same direction as the toilet instead of overlapping. :grey_question:

EDIT: This is what I mean by overlapping. ;)
    f8Eb4gR.png

I'll give this a try and see if it improves. The column in the downstairs toilet doesn't really need to be there in the game, if i'm building a house from real life i just like to add these details for accuracy if anything.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited March 2023
    I just started a new thread, but this actually fits perfectly with this thread instead :)

Recently I realized that it's not smart placing the toilet stall in a residential house. In this case the building is a high school, Principal resides 2nd floor. On 3rd floor sleeps students, and in their common bathroom there are toilet stalls. Sims on ground floor will choose to walk up to 3rd floor to use the toilet even if they originally stood next to the 1st floor bathroom.

I've also noticed an increase in events where a sim - say in a bathroom, in need of washing hands, will ignore the bathroom sink to walk over to another floor or end of the house to use a sink there instead. It feels totally insane, and although I think sims have always chosen a questionable route to a sink, I think this has become worse recently.

So, it got me wondering - do we have sinks intended for various use, like some sinks meant for bathrooms while others are meant for kitchens? Could it be that I placed a kitchen sink in that bathroom? I never saw such categories in BB, but the sinks could still be slightly differently coded like some attracts "wash hands" and others attract "clean plate". Anyone know?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    If you add a dishwasher to the kitchen they will stop using the bathroom sink to wash dishes. As for washing hands after using the toilet, they always wash their hands in the sink in the bathroom they are in, never had them travel between bathrooms to wash hands, let alone go on different floors to do that. Sometimes they might prefer to use the toilet upstairs instead of the one downstairs, but they will wash their hands there as well.

In my game they rarely use the sink in the bathroom next to the toilet to wash their hands. They mostly go to the kitchen sink or a sink in a different bathroom, including on different floors. This has happened in all houses I’ve played with all different families.
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »

What mod corrects this please?
  • Options
    Lilia1971 wrote: »

In my game they rarely use the sink in the bathroom next to the toilet to wash their hands. They mostly go to the kitchen sink or a sink in a different bathroom, including on different floors. This has happened in all houses I’ve played with all different families.

Have you tried to see if the sinks are accessible? Maybe there are clutter objects blocking access to them? I rarely have issues with sinks, and for most part they work as intended in my game and I play vanilla.
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »
    I'll give this a try and see if it improves. The column in the downstairs toilet doesn't really need to be there in the game, if i'm building a house from real life i just like to add these details for accuracy if anything.

You have summed it up right there. This game does not work like real life. :D;)
    As a real-life former construction architect and engineer myself, I have to laugh sometimes and just enjoy the game and it's silly quirks.

That bathroom actually in real life would be better with the toilet and sink placement you have. But HEY! This game is fantasy fiction. :p

I guess I'm saying, don't expect the "Sim People" to behave like real life people. It's all A.I. programming algorithms. Don't get me wrong though, I still love this game.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options

Have you tried to see if the sinks are accessible? Maybe there are clutter objects blocking access to them? I rarely have issues with sinks, and for most part they work as intended in my game and I play vanilla.

All the sinks are accessible. They use them occasionally but most of the time they walk miles to get to a different one. As I said it’s happened in several houses with several families and there’s no reason for it. I have checked all the rooms and there’s nothing to block them from using the obvious one.
  • Options
    So, it got me wondering - do we have sinks intended for various use, like some sinks meant for bathrooms while others are meant for kitchens? Could it be that I placed a kitchen sink in that bathroom? I never saw such categories in BB, but the sinks could still be slightly differently coded like some attracts "wash hands" and others attract "clean plate". Anyone know?

Some sinks are definitely meant to be kitchen sinks, the ones with long water faucet are kitchen sinks, but I don't know if they are coded differently. I just put what looks like a kitchen sink in the kitchen and bathroom sink in the bathroom. Very often I use the cheapest sinks too, and they still keep using the right sinks. Some objects do cause preferential behaviour, like a sim will prefer to use a pee bush further away over a closer toilet. I am playing a sim now whose first floor bathroom sink is closer than the kitchen sink, by a few tiles only and she used to wash her dishes in the bathroom sink but that was solved by just adding a dishwasher and now that is the preferred method of cleaning dishes, unless it is already in use.
  • Options

Just found a massive thread in the big reports section with this exact problem. Seems people think it started happening a lot after the HSY patch.
  • Options

Just found a massive thread in the big reports section with this exact problem. Seems people think it started happening a lot after the HSY patch.

Ah.... ok. I haven't noticed a difference yet. But that seems plausible then.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options

Some sinks are definitely meant to be kitchen sinks, the ones with long water faucet are kitchen sinks, but I don't know if they are coded differently. I just put what looks like a kitchen sink in the kitchen and bathroom sink in the bathroom. Very often I use the cheapest sinks too, and they still keep using the right sinks. Some objects do cause preferential behaviour, like a sim will prefer to use a pee bush further away over a closer toilet. I am playing a sim now whose first floor bathroom sink is closer than the kitchen sink, by a few tiles only and she used to wash her dishes in the bathroom sink but that was solved by just adding a dishwasher and now that is the preferred method of cleaning dishes, unless it is already in use.

They are not coded differently. A sink is a sink. The only difference I could see is it's stats. Like for beds, the more comfortable ones are usually chosen first. Same with chairs couches, etc.

The "sink" thing actually drove me nuts before and I removed all of them in the house. So for hygiene, only option is shower or bath. For dishes, only option is garbage (or dishwasher if I put one in).
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    kerryemmiebethkerryemmiebeth Posts: 400 Member
    I have always found this to be a problem in my game. I don't even know why I bother putting sinks in the bathrooms. It's just there for aesthetics I think!
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2023
    Rouensims wrote: »

Yep I use a mod to disable autonomous handwashing. My Sims have been scandalous for years! >:)
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I have noticed if you have a kitchen cabinet above sinks and dishwashers then your sim won't use them too. They would rather go and wash the dishes in an upstairs bathroom sink than the dishwasher right next to them. So I make sure they never have cabinets above them.
  • Options
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

They are not coded differently. A sink is a sink. The only difference I could see is it's stats. Like for beds, the more comfortable ones are usually chosen first. Same with chairs couches, etc.

The "sink" thing actually drove me nuts before and I removed all of them in the house. So for hygiene, only option is shower or bath. For dishes, only option is garbage (or dishwasher if I put one in).

I think easiest way to solve the issue with washing dishes in kitchen sink is to place the table in the kitchen or right next to the kitchen. If you have the dining room on the other side of the house and bathroom between the kitchen and diningroom, they are bound to use the bathroom to wash dishes. I have never encountered sims washing their hands in other bathroom, maybe that has to do with other stats than standard hygiene level. Would be interesting to know if sims behave the same in such a house if the house is placed in different games, maybe it has to do with various upgrades added or maybe it's caused by the house design. Or maybe it's a stuck object that needs to be reset.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member

Since the latest patch my Sims go downstairs to wash their hands. The OP is 100 % right.
  • Options

Since the latest patch my Sims go downstairs to wash their hands. The OP is 100 % right.

Would you upload the house in question to the gallery?
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I've noticed my sims are sometimes walking to sinks in different rooms after using the bathroom, even when there is a sink in the same room as them.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    edited March 2023
    In my game it's a fairly new thing within the past year. They used to be pretty good about using the one nearest the toilet. Now they go out of the way to use one in a different room 90% of the time. I can have two sims use two different toilets at the same time, and they'll walk past each other to use each other's sinks. It's not the sinks. I believe it's a bug that came up either with HSY or a later patch. I've just decided to find it amusing to save my sanity. It causes a lot of embarrassing moments when someone else is showering in the room with the sink they decide to use though.

Edit to add: It's happening in every household, and on lots that I used without this problem for years.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top