Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What’s Up With The Marketing Team Guys?

I saw a pop quiz when I opened up my game and the interesting questions about having public woohoo, getting sexy tickled etc. seems a bit unsettling for a game rated 12+
Why not make the age rate higher?
ajqm7mv2lgmc.jpeg
36hg3f6todln.jpeg
rrnwgpxlh0k6.jpeg
i1o0b4usrti6.jpeg
721af39zmfpu.jpeg

Link to quiz: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/quizzes/what-kind-of-sim-are-you/questions/question1

Comments

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Absolutely nothing in TS4 qualifies for a rating higher than 6+ (like here in Germany).
  • Options
    FurkeanFurkean Posts: 177 Member
    Absolutely nothing in TS4 qualifies for a rating higher than 6+ (like here in Germany).

Oh that’s unsurprising for Germany. Wasn’t there a MAP march in Cologne a few months back?
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I have no clue what a MAP march is ...
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    that quiz is ancient so yeah I am more curious why on earth i would need to see that first thing in the game as if its new

but also i have found marketing of this game is often so very tone deaf that I'm not even surprised anymore
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Tickling your fancy is a tame US English term for “what are you into”…there’s nothing unsettling about it.

The “where to whoo hoo” part…well…12+ know about the birds and the bees…SO…🤷‍♀️
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    Its just a goofy game like it has always been and that's fine and perfectly rated
  • Options
    Tickling your fancy is a tame US English term for “what are you into”…there’s nothing unsettling about it.

Nice reach but “being into” sexy tickling and having public woohoo being an ideal spot for it is pretty different from birds and the bees. One is a fetish the other is dumbdown version of how babies are made. Neither seems appropriate for a game 12+
  • Options
    plumboy23 wrote: »
    Its just a goofy game like it has always been and that's fine and perfectly rated

Oh I myself am totally fine with that as 26 years old, yet the rating of the game doesn’t fit with the quiz imo
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    that quiz is ancient so yeah I am more curious why on earth i would need to see that first thing in the game as if its new

but also i have found marketing of this game is often so very tone deaf that I'm not even surprised anymore

Probably revived it for all the new players taking advantage of the free base game.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    I get where you're coming from @Furkean , but public woohoo for example is very much a part of the game and easy to stumble across accidentally ingame. Those questions are no more extreme than the game itself.
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    Furkean wrote: »

Nice reach but “being into” sexy tickling and having public woohoo being an ideal spot for it is pretty different from birds and the bees. One is a fetish the other is dumbdown version of how babies are made. Neither seems appropriate for a game 12+

This entire conversation is a reach.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited January 2023
    A lot of players simply choose to play their game this way. Plus players 12 and up, if they are not asexual, might also be interested in some of these things, so better to try them out in a safe environment, and restart with different choices, than trying them out an unsafe situation (like a friend's party when no adults are home). Kind of like everybody hears curse words on the playground by about age 9.

PS - My mom ruled my life like this into my 20s, and I didn't get married for the first time until I was in my 40s. She didn't get any grandkids from me. Once you start being overprotective, it is hard to stop. Remember, no woo hoo, no babies.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited January 2023
    A lot of players simply choose to play their game this way. Plus players 12 and up, if they are not asexual, might also be interested in some of these things, so better to try them out in a safe environment, and restart with different choices, than trying them out an unsafe situation (like a friend's party when no adults are home). Kind of like everybody hears curse words on the playground by about age 9.

PS - My mom ruled my life like this into my 20s, and I didn't get married for the first time until I was in my 40s. She didn't get any grandkids from me. Once you start being overprotective, it is hard to stop. Remember, no woo hoo, no babies.

This reminds me of the sims 1 where a few kisses would be enough to get a pop up 'do you want a baby?' clicking yes would make a crib appear out of nowhere. :)
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited January 2023
    I mean thinking kids don't know about woohoo being a thing by the age of 12 is already bit of a reach given internet, radio, tv, books etc.

(really just turn on tv anytime there be woohoo island commercials or something)

and if they don't know how would they ever know woohoo in quiz doesn't mean shouting "Woohoo!"

but yeah i would probably add none option to woohoo spot question since its tad odd there isn't one
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    I get where you're coming from @Furkean , but public woohoo for example is very much a part of the game and easy to stumble across accidentally ingame. Those questions are no more extreme than the game itself.

Well that’s where the question arises, why is a public fetish is accessible in a game anywhere they may click for a game rated +12? Could there be not an option for parents so that could be reserved for private spaces like bedrooms?
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I mean thinking kids don't know about woohoo being a thing by the age of 12 is already bit of a reach given internet, radio, tv, books etc.

(really just turn on tv anytime there be woohoo island commercials or something)

and if they don't know how would they ever know woohoo in quiz doesn't mean shouting "Woohoo!"

but yeah i would probably add none option to woohoo spot question since its tad odd there isn't one

I see. Still I don’t know how lack of safeguarding on internet or around kids should mean games rated 12+ should allow that to them “since they already learn outside”
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Sorry about what happened with your mom, she seems uneducated but I assume she grew ip in a generation like that but I don’t see the relevance of your experiences here, see my previous comment on that. Trying for baby is a different option from Woohoo and kids develop sexuality around and through puberty, so we can safely assume they are asexuals (different from low libido or celibate adults claiming to be one) doesn’t mean they know all about woohoo around 12-13 especially having a goal to do it with everyone as one option says or in public. I don’t know why people took my first post as removing woohoo altogether from the game in sake of kids playing, that’s a bit silly to me. I
  • Options
    LJK wrote: »
    Furkean wrote: »

This entire conversation is a reach.

Take that to the parents with the quiz and let them decide how much of a reach it is, I would say to you.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2023
    The game and everything in it follows the recommended rating. PEGI 12.

This is the definition of PEGI 12 on PEGI's homepage: Video games that show violence of a slightly more graphic nature towards fantasy characters or non-realistic violence towards human-like characters would fall in this age category. Sexual innuendo or sexual posturing can be present, while any bad language in this category must be mild.

The Sims 4 have very mild depictions of everything, fights are cartoon clouds for example.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    logion wrote: »
    The game and everything in it follows the recommended rating. PEGI 12.

This is the definition of PEGI 12 on PEGI's homepage: Video games that show violence of a slightly more graphic nature towards fantasy characters or non-realistic violence towards human-like characters would fall in this age category. Sexual innuendo or sexual posturing can be present, while any bad language in this category must be mild.

The Sims 4 have very mild depictions of everything, fights are cartoon clouds for example.

I didn’t mean to make it a huge deal, my intention was to create a discussion since what this forum is for, I don’t want to throw assumptions, yet many are thirsting for drama I guess. Anyways I wanted to point out the weirdness of this quiz being the first thing on the homepage when we open the page and the questions on it. I’m fine with them, as an adult, yet not everyone play the game are, especially when it’s rated 12+. Some brought up that it’s safe to learn from a game but I failed to realize what is okay… woohoo-ing everyone as their goals? having woohoo in public? being into sexy tickled? Sorry not sorry, I’m not fine with this type of context matching with the age rating. They could be replaced with having crushes on same-sex, achieving to become the first spellscaster astranout, being an alien living amongst werewolves or something.

Let me quote the explanations in IMDb for The Sims 4 PEGI 12:

-There are buttons players can click that say "try for baby" or "woohoo".

-Sims can get pregnant for a few days until they eventually go into labor where you choose to deliver the baby at home or at the hospital. (Childbirth is not shown).

-Sims can make love but it does not show it as it only happens offscreen. Such as under the covers in bed or in a closet.

-Mods wear sims can wear revealing clothing and some were sims can be nude

-When Sims take a shower or do other things, they get naked, though it is blurred out

-Flirting and kissing can occur

(source: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4109630/parentalguide/nudity )

Nowhere it goes into detail of woohoo-ing
    Post edited by Furkean on
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    It's fine, to me. "Woohoo" in game has always been so goofy that it's never anything to take serious. And the "make woohoo with everyone" thing goes in line with the series' serial romantic goals (in many of its iterations, notably sims 2 for me).
  • Options
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    It's fine, to me. "Woohoo" in game has always been so goofy that it's never anything to take serious. And the "make woohoo with everyone" thing goes in line with the series' serial romantic goals (in many of its iterations, notably sims 2 for me).

Same here, as an adult I wouldn’t think of a life simulation without those and I really enjoy the goofiness of it all giving the game a sould. Yet I think many people think I’m taking issue that those are inside the game meanwhile I’m questioning the age rating. The questions being askes in that quiz and marketed as the first thing when you open the game is to me not suitable for the age PEGI decided to be appropriate.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I think marketing just chose things that are known to be very popular about the Sims. Woohoo has always been at the forefront of Sims games and given folks a chuckle. It's never been shamed for the sake of children and some parents have let their six year olds play the game. The U.S. can be so puritanical about woohoo sometimes, but it's a natural thing, it really isn't that big of a deal, especially in the lighthearted, comedic way it's portrayed in Sims 4.

Twelve year olds are plenty mature enough to handle it. I knew way more about that stuff when I was 10. I hit puberty at 11. 12 isn't as "young" as you might think. Woohoo is probably more funny and silly to kids that age, though.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    Woohoo in the game is fine and doesn’t hurt anyone. It’s just a cartoon of two people going to bed and ‘cuddling’. I do think the sims team and the sims influencers can be too much with the marketing/socials.

I think they’re often quite inappropriate for the playerbase, regardless of age. It comes over like they’re all a bit freaky and they want to push that on others to validate themselves. Look at that song they used in the recent music video, it was in English and the lyrics were just about sex, none of the sims usual charm.

I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at my 12 year old niece making sims woohoo. But it would raise eyebrows if she was walking around singing I don’t make babies but I practise while dressed beyond her years. It’s not that they don’t see that elsewhere or that there hasn’t always been an adult undertone to the sims but they used to be less in your face with it. Should stick to simlish songs for a start.
    Post edited by JustinB113 on