Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unloved: A Sims Story by orenjiAi

123457...Next

Comments

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Thanks for making these posts. I'm slowly catching up. I've made it through 11. :)
    I'm enjoying Robert's bits the most - I'm most interested in his backstory and what makes him tick, even though I don't like him paired with Elia (because I'm afraid I don't like what seems to be his elitist personality and his obsession? with people's pedigrees :( - but as a character, he's great - sorry, I hope this makes sense). I have a soft spot for Edward to be honest, but I assume he's closely related to Elia.

About the will reading in part 8 - sorry, if I'm misunderstanding, but I think the idea is that it a will was faked by Edward to say "I bestow and bequeath by substitution, to my trustee, Edward Whittaker"? If Edward wanted to fake inheriting something, I think it makes more sense for him to make himself the beneficiary and not the trustee. Trustees don't necessarily inherit anything. They're often lawyers and just hold the inheritance in trust for other people (for the actual beneficiaries). So I think Edward should have made himself the beneficiary (if his intention was to make himself inherit the property) and not say that he's the trustee because as trustee it seems like he's holding the estate in trust for Antoine's descendants and that he doesn't care to actually make it belong to him.

Unloved 9 really threw me for a loop. Are they taking a tour of their house? :O It's beautiful. Your story is great, but I think you also need praise for these builds.
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    I’ve been away coz I’ve been trying to 1) finish a farmhouse and 2) build an English manor for HoB. Yeah… those two, they aren’t gonna happen lol. Thanks for the feedback!

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg
    🤫 I think Robert’s just trying to look cool and more knowledgeable than he really is to impress the teen—young adults tend to do that lol. Let’s cut the man some slack.

@_sims_Yimi
    Backstory time! The Château d’Été de Thebe was actually my very first large build in TS4. I only usually build modern glass boxes for my sims’ families, but one day, I felt like building this neoclassical chateau. 🤡 Its exterior turned out looking pretty and all but then the realization set in; I also had to fill it up. I didn’t make this for any of my sims so I couldn’t figure out what to do with a then-30-room build. Browsing endlessly through the furniture made me notice that some of them told the tale of a Princess Cordelia. It piqued my interest enough to read ALL of the descriptions lol and realized I have enough fodder to make this their Royal palace. But then, I thought I also didn’t want my work to be in vain if Maxis decided to officially expound on the lore and released an official castle (like they did in Britechester and eventually, Henford-on-Bagley), so I shrunk the build and just made it into their holiday house instead.

To commemorate all the trouble I went through for the build, I created Elia who was initially meant to be a background character for my main save. I thought it’d be funny if a single sim lived in this big old mansion all by herself. But playing around made me realize how sad it actually was to have all those empty rooms and no one to share with. So I made this trashy harem to keep her company lol. In the end, I had so much fun playing them, I spun her off and her harem into a brand new save; gave each character some 🎀 𝒸𝓁𝒶𝓈𝓈𝓎 🎀 makeovers; introduced a bit of backstories; and now we have this thing I’m writing. 🙃

The Sams weren’t in the first save though and I honestly look out in fear of the monsters I have created.

@haneul
    Admittedly, I’m not well-versed on the legalities and terminologies, so I really appreciate this correction. 🥰 Edward didn’t fake the will, by the way. It’s just he had an old outdated copy (how he knew of its contents is questionable though) that flat-out states that he’s getting everything by his virtue of being part of the cadet branch. ⬅️ (This is what I was going for.) But you totally had him read though, props to you for that. But let’s keep it secret til his arc. 😉

Thank you! The château at Unloved 9 is the Winter Palace (as opposed to the Summer Palace where the story mainly takes place). It’s my “I swear I’d never build on another 64x64 again!” build so I’m really happy someone appreciated it. Right now, it serves as a museum and headquarters of the National Historical Commission. It is what Edward wanted to achieve for the estate if he have had the inheritance. Why the Royal Thebes have a yellow winter holiday house and a snow-white summer one is still one of the greatest mysteries of the century. Lol
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I have a lot of comments and questions because Unloved captured my interest. It’s great and I’m caught up. <3 Please feel free to ignore any questions or comments I have if they’re too much because it’s really a lot... :# Thanks for clarifying about the winter and summer palaces.

12/13
    My heart breaks for Elia. “Salutations”? :( What did they teach her during the summer - how to be socially awkward? The poor girl needs a therapist or social worker or even just a real friend to guide her at school. It seems like no one told her a thing about the school until after she enrolled.
    A transferee in the senior year of Ubrite prep is unheard of. Your family must be pretty influential to pull it off!”

Yikes! It’s like Elia doesn’t exist as an individual. I doubt these girls would like her at all if she were still poor and not their peer. I’m partial to Edward but their opinion of him is horrendous regardless (“social climber”? - he should stay down because he’s not as rich or pedigreed as them?) And the school is so corrupt that the only conceivable way in to its students at this time (senior year) is via influential family... I originally was worried about Elia’s academics, because she was stuck in that horrible orphanage for so long, but her academic abilities are fine? How did Elia manage to keep up with the prep kids who’ve had tutors since they were toddlers while at the orphanage? She seems so traumatized and clueless with everything so it’s surprising that she’s good at school and that she has the same accent they do.

I wish so badly that they would teach Elia to be more stately and less of a doormat. Robert has all these lofty ideas about the Thebes, but poor Elia is so naïve and fragile and has no ability to assert her will. :( It’s like she doesn’t even have opinions of her own. She really needs his help and not just with being a better doormat by preparing guest rooms and food for rude guests. XD Her “friends” are inviting themselves to her home when they feel like it and when she’s not ready and txting her eggplant emojis about her and her butler! and she’s not shutting that nonsense down…but I guess she likes the attention and the butler. >:)

Well nevermind some of what I said before. I’m glad Elia found her voice and confronted Sammy. I don’t think Elia is ready for Sammy’s speech, though. She’s not even had time to have most of these thoughts or options yet? Elia hasn’t even found her footing - she’s socially inept and so far from “perfect” and is just trying to hang on to someone/something. I don’t think she has the luxury of having thoughts about who the real her is just yet because I don’t think she can know…she went from orphanage to palace like 5 seconds ago.

I think everyone’s approach with Elia regarding rules is interesting too. I’m a bit torn. Is she the heir to a powerful position or is she not - I mean that I guess the position isn’t that powerful/great because everyone is telling her about these ridiculous social rules, but if the Thebes were elite, they’d get to make the rules and not have to follow them and since her making rules clearly isn’t the case at the moment I worry about all the work she’s going to need to do to rehabilitate the family name and position. The rules are meant to separate high society from the others and if she doesn’t qualify as high society just for being her/being a Thebe and has to show that she has the appropriate manners like a commoner or social climber (excuse my language) would that doesn’t bode well for her.

I feel bad for Elia realizing that the girls are using her, but really why would they like her or be her friend? She hasn’t shown any personality to them at all except for that one moment where she revealed she liked art -- the personality she’s shown them is just being incredibly awkward/inept despite summer etiquette classes and being a Thebe. It’s not very likeable. Honestly, I think Edward is her only actual friend because he’s always helped her by telling her the cold truth from the beginning even if he’s more of a frenemy than a friend. Robert is an overworked butler overstepping his role. :open_mouth: He has not helped her as a guardian enough - Elia needs real help socially and he’s just MIA for that kind of thing. :(

It was interesting to hear about your staging process, and how you basically set up and direct scenes in the Sims to meet your vision because I do nearly the opposite. I play the game while taking an obscene number of screenshots and then weave together a narrative. I have no real vision in my head, but make up things based on what the game presents me - I use its vision and give it a voice.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    @haneul 😍 I love it when I get to interact with the readers—which are also very talented SimLit writers! This was the entire purpose of this thread, so don’t worry about asking away.
    Hmmm. But I feel conflicted about these comments though. On one hand, they are exactly the kind of reactions and thoughts I wished the reader would feel after each “episode”. And on the other, it topped up my doubts that I’m speeding through and forcing development. I feel like that’s the problem with writing. In the writer’s head, the story undergoes all these plot transformations and shifting perspectives; but the reader never gets to see any of those internalizations. Not to mention that chapters take days to write and a few minutes to read. So I’m kinda afraid that what I feel would have been perfectly justifiable behavior for the already-fully-developed character in my mind would come off to the reader as errrr…too sudden? Like they just flipped a switch or something.

I’ve also wondered about Elia’s schooling. I don’t know how it is in other countries but in the US, there aren’t really orphanages anymore. Instead them sweet lil kids stay in foster care homes and they attend public school regularly. I’d like to think that she managed to attend one herself even during her stay in the orphanage that’s why she can keep up with the academics.

I really really wish I could share things without spoiling them! But let’s just say that Unloved is a coming-of-age story. And that when I’m writing it, I look at these people and relive my formative years think they’re still teens. They’re at that awkward stage where they think the world revolves around them, where they cry and laugh about the stupidest things, when emotions (and hormones) are high, and where they do stuff just because they can.

Oooh! I’m really jealous of those Simmers that could spin wonderful tales from their gameplay! And you’ve also managed to make a narrative for an entire Legacy, too. How? My game never churns out anything interesting! 😩 They just watch TV, sometimes tend to the plants for hours on end—they’re really living up to that sleepy town setting I gave them lol
  • Options
    But let’s just say that Unloved is a coming-of-age story. And that when I’m writing it, I look at these people and relive my formative years think they’re still teens. They’re at that awkward stage where they think the world revolves around them, where they cry and laugh about the stupidest things, when emotions (and hormones) are high, and where they do stuff just because they can.
    I got exactly this vibe.

I don't know that you're speeding through and forcing development. Your pacing could be perfect. Maybe I shouldn't have binge-read and run through the chapters so quickly and also as an individual I'm kind of detail-oriented and nitpicky. The chapters you've put up are interesting and made me want to get to know your characters better, which doesn't mean that you need to add more details or slow down (just that I'm curious about back stories and circumstances). I hope you continue writing at a pace and in a way that you enjoy.

As far Elia's schooling goes, it makes sense that she would have gone to public school, but that wasn't something I considered or gave much weight to when I read. I'm not sure why, but I was impressed by UBrite prep. It seemed prestigious and I underrated Elia due to her general naivety/obliviousness, so I was pleasantly surprised that she could keep up with her new classmates as I imagine that even most of the best students at a normal public school would struggle academically at an elite prep school full of ambitious and/or rich students.
    I’m really jealous of those Simmers that could spin wonderful tales from their gameplay! And you’ve also managed to make a narrative for an entire Legacy, too. How? My game never churns out anything interesting! 😩 They just watch TV, sometimes tend to the plants for hours on end—they’re really living up to that sleepy town setting I gave them lol

@orenjiAi Thanks. The truth is that I cannot handle staging things in the game because it takes a long time and is too much work for me. >:) I'm impressed by those who do. What's more is that I enjoy everyday slice-of-life stuff, so I don't know how I'm doing on the "interesting" meter, but I try. Luckily, my sims get up to at least somewhat interesting things and I like the structure that limiting my story to gameplay gives.

Following the gameplay relieves me of so much of the story building work because it outlines the basic plot. All I need to do is fill in the why and sometimes how - and that's fun for me because I like the puzzle solving aspect of finding the right details, piecing them together, and then creating a narrative with some depth.

Of course, there are some limits and some of the biggest of which I've not overcome or even addressed. But, ignoring all that, I find that it helps if I play slowly and pay attention. I can't notice details if I'm zooming through my gameplay, so I keep my sims busy 24/7, play just one household, have lots of events, and focus on what they say (as well as what they do). I don't always direct them, though, because the plot tends to get stale when I do too much micromanaging. As long as there's some kind of progression or something at stake or some kind of so what? it works. It helps if there's a delay between my playing and my writing because it's easier for me to create a story arc, highlighting the stakes even if they're minor, if I have an idea about what's going to happen in the future and that's easiest to do when I've already played through a bit of the future. Finally, because I'm naturally drawn to boring details that put other people to sleep, I try to balance against that by keeping my chapters kind of short and kind of funny (because the Sims is not that deep).
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited August 2021
    Noticed my friend Yimi checked this one out so thought I'd take a look. Up to Chapter 4 ATM.
    Hmm, wonder why such a specific request for a girl that looks just like Elia? I wonder if there's something special about people with violet eyes- special power maybe? Or am I overthinking a preference? And being separated from her brother... ;-; Bro, why are you shoving her against a wall? Pipe down. Mother should have put her foot down more with the guy that shoved a girl in her care against the wall. But nah, just take the money and see the girl off with the guy that pinned her against the wall? Poor Elia. Is she going from unloved here to unloved elsewhere? I guess time will tell.

Ahh so she's a descendant of royalty? And in what seemed like freedom at first, she's only more alone without her brother. Hopefully they can be reunited somewhere along the line. All of this newfound glitz, glam and royalty almost seems too good to be true. When I think royalty, I think of revenge, scandals, lies...

Elia throwing the coin down the well was kinda sweet, it's like she finally gets to experience the little pleasures of younger life which is good even though she's separated from what she knows. Well, that wasn't the kind of reunite moment I was expecting! Wondering how he got out. Was he adopted or did he escape the orphanage to go look for Elia?

BTW I love all the houses and staging of the screenshots!
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @haneul
    ... Slice-of-life is interesting to me... light novels, anime, movies, and TV series, I don't know know why but it's really appealing to me. There's something magical and hopeful about things that just might happen to anybody IRL.
    haneul wrote: »
    I like the puzzle solving aspect of finding the right details, piecing them together, and then creating a narrative with some depth.
    Kind of like detective work? That sounds super fun! I like a good mystery. Though, I don't know how I'd fare if I tried. Maybe I'd give it a spin for my next story...? I still think it requires a special kind of creativity to puzzle-piecing unrelated gameplay moments into a cohesive narrative.

@SnowBnuuy
    Thanks for commenting on Unloved! A friend of a friend is always welcome!

Hmmm, unfortunately, we don't do any of those fantasy stuff here since my two brain cells don't have the creativity for a more intricate lore and universe... :sweat_smile: It's only going to be your average slice-of-life/romcom/coming-of-age story.
    If these things are right up your alley though,
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    Ahh so she's a descendant of royalty?... When I think royalty, I think of revenge, scandals, lies...
    then grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    So I don't have anything to show for this week. I got distracted trying to make my own CC. But I do have a minisode. For newer readers, minisodes are scenes that do not make it into the final cut. They are the same events from past Episodes viewed from another perspective. These write-ups are relatively short and are of lower quality. but they are canon and vital for me in exploring characters and plot development. I will posts minisodes separately but will hide them in the spoiler tag since you can just skip them over and you won't miss anything.

Edited coz apparently a “bag of tea“ is a taboo word 🙄👀

Unloved Minisode 2

Earlier that summer, Adriel groaned as he exited the bathroom of his tiny beach shack for the third time this morning. He leaned against the door frame for support and clumsily reached for a kettle he had set to boil beforehand. He poured its contents into a mug and downed it all in one gulp. He can’t believe what had just happened. Somehow, his stomach had gone upset after his and Elia’s food trip the day before. Who would have thought his favorite dessert would cause him such pain?

No. He reasoned sternly with himself. It wasn’t Simcity cheesecake’s fault. It couldn’t have been. After all, he had already eaten seven slices. If it was to blame, he would have already been sick on the first slice. So he deduced that it was either the three cups of coffee he drank in the cafe or that choco berry milkshake he had to go that made him so sick. He decided he would go to Elia and ask if her stomach had gone upset too later. But for now, he thought to lie down a bit.

GMqCNis.png
    At least that was the plan. As he put the kettle away, he noticed someone standing in the corner by the shadows. He quickly grabbed a kitchen knife and pointed it at the trespasser. "Who's there!?" he demanded.

The figure stepped into the light. “Oh, it’s just you,” he said relieved, recognizing who it was. He threw his weapon into the sink.
    “Please don’t scare me like that!
    “I know it’s your house and all, but knock first—” Adriel began nonchalantly. “I'm sorry!” he suddenly begged on all fours. He wasn't very bright but he was smart enough to not disrespect the owner of the place he was lodging at. He realized how rude he must have sounded like. "Please don't kick me out!" He said with a wink.

Adriel helped the pale man settle. He said he won't be long and that he'd only be around for the night. He said he will be leaving at daybreak because he had business to attend someplace else. He reasoned he would've left now, but he was tired from his job as a neighborhood watch. He thought it best to rest and check back on the house and Adriel. He looked around. He said it was already looking homier and he applauded him for it. He patted his head and tousled his hair.

Adriel scratched his nose. "It's the least I could. I mean, you gave me a place to stay! If you hadn't picked me up on that sidewalk," he paused and shuddered. If the pale man hadn't taken him in, he would have definitely been a vagrant. He would have wandered the entire country aimlessly looking for a place called Capeside. He might have gotten lost too and he wouldn't have ever been reunited with Elia. He could have also easily died somewhere along the way. "I owe you everything," he finished his sentence without going into detail.

The kettle whistled and Adriel stood immediately to turn off the stove. He poured two cups of hot water. He made instant coffee with one and put tea in the other.
    “I made us something to drink," he said as he handed out a cup to the pale man. The man held it for a while, enjoying its warmth.
    "Uh-oh, I forgot the coasters!” He pulled out a pair of old Void Bops CD’s and set them on the table.

The man laughed. He said he didn’t think Adriel was the type to care about water stains on the furniture.

“Oh,” he said blushing a little, “I learned that from my friend, the one I told you I was looking for?
    “She lives in the mansion uphill. Their house is so fancy and well-kept. I thought I could learn a trick or two about housekeeping and hosting. It might not be much, but everything starts here!” he said, pointing at the coasters.

The pale man smiled. He expressed pride and happiness for the teen. He gave him a tin box of treats to share with his friend. Before he could check it however, the pale old man bade his goodbyes. He tried to convince him to stay, but he was already halfway out the door.

"Send my regards to your friend," he said. He tipped off his hat and walked out into the daylight.

At tea time, Adriel, feeling a lot better, decided to visit Elia. He brought the treat the man had given him. Judging from its heft, he deduced must have been a cake of sorts.

“Hey Robert,” he waved to the butler. He just stared at him unamused. “I-is Elia home?”
    “Lady Elia is currently attending class and cannot be disturbed at the moment.”
    “Class? But it’s summer?”
    “My lady shall not be disturbed.”
    “I just wanted to play with her for a while.”
    “Young master, let me phrase it in a way that even you would understand. Please leave. Unlike some others, we can think of better ways to spend our summers than merely engaging in fruitless frolic. We continuously strive for betterment. We learn skills and study arts. Perhaps it shall benefit you to follow in your friend’s footsteps and seek a better hobby than, say, pestering us!”
    He felt a little annoyed. But he fought off the urge to talk back. Just yesterday, Robert had been cheerful and animatedly chatting with Mistress Adelaida’s governess. But now, he was back to his haughty old self.
    He must have been influenced by Rika, Adriel thought. He noticed she didn’t seem all that enthusiastic to have them in her company, after all. Or he might have just been cranky from his too-tight uniform. He knew he would be if he was forced to wear the same thing all the time.

“Fine,” he held up the tin box in front of Robert. It swayed lightly in its paper bag, “Can you just give this to Elia? It’s a cake a friend of mine gave me. I thought we could share it over tea. But if I can’t eat it now, can you at least keep it in your fridge? The one in the shack is broken and I’d hate for it to spoil before I can eat it…”
    “We already have enough pastries for tea,” he said flatly. Adriel was unfazed.
    “Very well,” Robert said. "If it would make you leave sooner." He reached out his hand,
    “Sike!” Adriel shouted as soon as the butler got hold of the bag. He swerved around him, jumping over the low fence. And sprinted towards the chateau.

He ran around the house. Scanning its windows for any sign of activity. He noticed a flickering light coming from one of the lower floor chambers. He snuck closer and peeked inside.

SZIJnsK.png
    He looked into a small wood-paneled room. Its walls were heavily laden with artistic depictions of music-making. An antique piano stood in the middle of the room. Beside it stood Elia who was playing the violin. He couldn’t hear her terrible playing through the stone walls nor see very clearly from the glass's glare, but he imagined she was having fun. She looked so refined. So lady-like. So regal. He smiled to himself. She was starting to finally fit in.

“There you are!” A pair of strong hands lifted Adriel off the ground. The next thing he knew was he’d been thrown flat on his back on the flagstone. He saw the darkening sky for a brief moment before something flew past his field of vision.
    eJLwN9U.png
    He heard it clang as it hit the ground.

“Where did you get this?” Robert hissed. He must have hurled the cake.
    “Hey! I know it’s not exactly Baked Alaska but you didn’t have to do that!” He met Robert’s eyes. They were round with anger. Adriel recoiled. He felt that this time he wouldn’t get away with playing mad too.
    “Speak! Tell me. WHERE did you get this?”
    “I already told you! It’s from a friend!”
    “Tell me WHO your friend is and HOW he managed to get hold of this!” he bellowed.

Adriel looked in the direction where the tin hit the ground. The lid had popped off and it was dented from the sheer force it was thrown with. Its contents spilled across the driveway. But inside it was not a delicious dessert. It was a cloth; black and tattered. It was shaped like a person’s torso. It looked like…

“My missing uniform. I lost it at the start of summer.” Robert said. “Its tails snagged on a branch and it ripped. I was going to mend it but it had already disappeared by the time I came back. It was inside the house. In this gated estate.
    “So who is it? Who is this friend?” He whispered, grabbing the poor boy by the collar.
    “I-I don’t know his name…”
    “Good Watcher in HEAVEN!” Robert let go and cursed. “You don’t know? But you took what you thought was food from them!? And you even brought it here to share? Does your noggin of yours not have anything in it? How STUPID are you!? Didn’t your parents teach you not to take handouts—!”
    “I never even met my parents!” Adriel shot back. He had heard enough.
    “Probably because they didn’t want such a DUMB KID for a child!”
    8QI0uYi.png
    Adriel was taken aback.

“I-I really don’t know much about him!” He stifled a sob from the frustration. “I just call him the pale man. The owner of the beach house! He said he’s part of the neighborhood watch here at Capeside. He’s always wearing a funny red military jacket! He gave me that package! That’s all I know. Sorry, I’m not smart enough!”
    “Bah! The pale man in red?” Robert scoffed. “You can’t even think of anything to describe him better! Do you even see red? You’re colorblind—!

A realization suddenly dawned on Robert. Adriel was colorblind, and the pale man wouldn’t be wearing red like they thought he would. He would be wearing a green jacket. A camouflage. He always wore it to his job. He could be around watching them right now. Hidden in plain sight. There was only one problem. Capeside did not have a neighborhood watch.
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,753 Member
    You're making your own CC? If it's not spoilery, what are you making? 😮

Minisode 2
    Holy cow, seven slices of simcity cheesecake?! No wonder your stomach starts hurting, Adriel! 😂 I wonder who the man is that Adriel is watching the house for. Something tells me that he knows exactly who he means with “the friend who lives up the hill”. Allowing Adriel to live there is very sweet, though.

Meeeeeeeh Robert stop blocking everyone else from bonding with Elia 😣 Robert is very two-faced sometimes, being so friendly and polite to people that benefit him and borderline worshipping Elia, but he’s so nasty to other people. Woo! Go Adriel! Go say hi!
    Aw. I wonder if Elia was really having fun. He never did see her face, after all. Oh geez, there’s something about the cake. Whoa, it’s not a cake 😮 oh geez that’s not good. That’s not good at all. Did he steal the uniform, use it, and is now trying to give it back? What’s up with that? Oh gods Adriel doesn’t even know his name?
    Aaaaand there’s the part where my mild disdain for Robert being mean to people turns into full-out rage. That was so far over the line that it deserves a potato to the face. It’s one thing to yell at people being naïve, but that was personal and designed to hurt. Gah. Take two potatoes to the face.

Even the lower quality pictures still look great! How do you do the effect of blurring the background like that?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg
    What can I say? I’ve been inspired by a certain nosy fashion magazine columnist-turned-investigative journalist. 😉

@_sims_Yimi
    Robert has issues lol.

I tend to nitpick the most petty of details in my main save’s builds. The CC I create tries to address that. They’re lazy edits (often in just the swatch I need) with hella poor quality lol but it’s okay since they’re just for personal use. By far, I’ve made recolors and mesh edits of some of my most-used doors (i.e. I’ve always wanted ones that are painted different colors for each side).

Btw, I use reshade (edit: it's sumahama by wilderbees) and photoshop to simulate camera DOF (BG blur). 😉
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
  • Options
    @orenjiAi I think he isn't the only one with issues 🤭 but that just makes all of them more interesting! I can sympathise with the need for different-coloured doors on each side so much, lol. The EA doors match on one side, and then look so out of place on the other side. I usually just swap them around for picture taking. 😆

Thank you for the tips! 😁
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    eufleufl Posts: 64 Member
    Wow, I had to read a lot since my last visit but I love the story. And the pictures... They are simply gorgeous!
  • Options
    Unloved 17

A text from the uBrite Office of Student Affairs came in the wee hours of Monday morning. A strong hurricane was being monitored by the National Weather Service in the last 48 hours. It was predicted to slam into the Tri-state area by the afternoon. The school had therefore decided that classes would be suspended until Thursday to ensure the safety of the students and to give time for emergency management and repairs.

DYNTWrh.png
    Elia set her phone gently on the side table and slumped in her armchair. She had mixed feelings about what she had just read. On one hand, she felt relief. She wasn't particularly looking forward to meeting The Sams after that disastrous sleepover. It was a topic she would rather not discuss. How should she react to an experience like that, anyway? Was she just supposed to let it slide and avoid them? Or does she need to confront them? Maybe lose control and rage like she did the night before? Or does she talk it out with them calmly? She did not know.

On the other hand, Elia could already tell the next few days were going to be unbelievably boring. Robert had booked her a one-week stay at the Capeside Inn. He had rented out a two-bedroom state suite—the stateliest one could hope to get in a backwoods town—while the exterminators did their work at the Summer Palace. But although she found chateau life equally uneventful (with its poor TV and phone receptions and stiff formal sitting rooms); it had a fully-stocked kitchen, an art studio, a small forest, and a private beach to distract her. To pass time, she often set up her chair by the window and looked out to the gardens. She loved how the flower beds seemed to subtly change colors as the ocean breeze blew through them. She marveled at the fallen petals picked up by the wind. And took delight in watching them soar high above the ground and fall down in a lovely petal rain. At the inn, however, there was no such entertainment. There was nothing for her to do. Capeside had little to explore and the room itself was cramped and uncomfortable.

She supposed she could simply watch the town from the suite room too. She could also do some people-watching. That always proved fun. She stepped out on the balcony but got disappointed to find it looked out only to roofs and the street below. She saw Tyler loading up his truck with crates full of produce.

wp7twUB.png
    “Hey!” She called to him, waving. “Good morning!” He looked up and silently waved back then resumed what he was doing. She thought he could use some help.

Elia rushed down the stairs after changing into day clothes. “You’re up early,” she remarked.
    “Nah. I’m actually running late,” he answered, “‘Tis you, who’s up early.”
    “Late?”
    “Storm’s a-brewin’,” he said, pointing up to the sky which glowed red as the sun rose. “Didn’t really want to go out and make deliveries today, but I guess people are trying to stock their pantries? Anyway, I figured I can make a few runs before the hurricane hits.”
    Elia looked at the few bushels left on the ground. She got excited at the thought of being able to do something. She picked up one and carried it onto the truck.
    “Oi," he said sternly, "What do you think you’re doing?”
    “Helping you load these crates?”
    “What you’re doing is soiling your clothes.”
    “But there’s a storm coming! You need to act fast and all the help you can get!”
    “Miss, I'll have you know, these aren’t just for show!” he flexed his muscles. “Thanks for your ‘help’ but I’m doing good out here by myself. You should go back to your room.”

So much for something to do. She started walking towards the inn. She wondered how she would pass the next few hours. Maybe she could look around for a stationery store? Sketching should take up a good chunk of her day. But then, she had left all her drawing stuff at the chateau. She could retrieve it, but then again, Robert probably did not want her around the house while it was being fumigated. Otherwise, he would have let her come along earlier before he left. She could try making dessert—she found a no-bake cheesecake recipe she wanted to try—but she didn’t want to eat it by herself. Maybe…

She spun around and tapped Tyler's shoulder.
    “Hey! Let's, you know, at my room?”
    “Huh?”
    Oh no. She had meant to ask him if he would want to join her for some cheesecake but it came out so wrongly.
    “I could make you feel good,” Elia quickly realized how suggestive it sounded. “With cheesecake!” she clarified.
    He stopped stacking crates and put his hands on his hips. "I think I understand now what you’re trying to say.
    “That's pretty bold of you, miss. Really, I'm flattered. But I'm seeing someone else right now.
    “It’s a fine proposition, but I love her so much, I can't—"
    "What? No!" She blushed deeply.
    He laughed heartily. "Ha! Gotcha! I'm just messing with you!" he said then went back to work. Elia did not feel like making cheesecake anymore.
    "Look, miss, I know you wanna hang out a bit, but I have to go now. So, I can't..."
    “How about I join you on your delivery run?” she asked.
    "Absolutely not."
    "Please! I don't have anything to do!" she reasoned. "Robert's gone to supervise the pest control. And I'm all by myself at the inn... I don't want to be stuck there alone when the hurricane hits."
    "Miss, I am working here. I am really busy. Please go find someone else to bother, okay?”

Elia stopped pressing Tyler. He didn’t have to go off on her like that. She quietly watched him finish loading his truck. She convinced herself not to feel guilty. After all, to her, it had just been another free day from school. Another day to do nothing. It wasn’t her fault he had to go to work. Kind of like it wasn’t her fault that Robert went through all that trouble when she had already told him the imaginary roach had gone. She watched him put on a cardigan as he got on the truck. After a minute of checking, he started the engine and slowly drove away. She sulked on the pavement, pondering what she could do next.

0ElUusO.png
    “Oi,” a voice said. She looked up and saw Tyler had reversed.
    “What are you still doing out here? Go back to your room.”
    “I told you I have nothing to do there,” she replied.
    “So you thought it would be a good idea to just mope there?”
    “Yeah,” she answered sarcastically.
    He looked at her with wide disbelieving eyes and scratched his head.
    “Fine. Get in," he said and opened the door for her.

Elia wasted no time. She excitedly boarded the truck and fastened her seatbelt. They rolled down the narrow cobblestone alley and onto a wider asphalt road that snaked uphill through a dense forest of tall pine trees. A few minutes later, they were speeding on the Mid-Cape Highway.
    "I must be going freaking crazy, taking you with me," She heard him cursing himself under his breath. "Dang, why did I have to check back on you?"
    "Thanks for letting me tag along," Elia said, trying to snap him out of his monologue.
    "Well, I can’t just leave you out there. And I just know you’ll be out there for a long time. The townspeople will freak if they see you all alone on the curb.
    "But you best not meddle in my business, a'ight? I'm just taking you for a spin. And don’t tell Mr. Dubois what we did when he comes back, a’ight? You’ll have both our butts beat if he finds out. We’re not gonna take long since the storm’s coming. It’ll just be a short trip around the Cape and that's it! First, we’re going to the wharf. Get some prime fish. Then, it’s off to deliveries. King’s supplies to a few shops in Sable Square. Then we’re heading east to Catham…”
    Elia looked out the truck. They were now on the lone road leading to and away from Capeside. For all the times she took that road, it was the first time she saw it in broad daylight. It was always still dark whenever she left for school. And in the evening, when she returned, the landscape would already be shrouded by the long shadows cast by the setting sun. On top of that, the Thebe family cars had heavily tinted windows that were always shut. She never really got to see or enjoy the scenery. But right there in Tyler’s truck, with the windows rolled down, she could bask in its beauty. She saw the ocean on the far horizon peeking behind the evergreen treetops. And she loved how the cold wind felt on her face and how it swept through her hair.
    “….Then some mansions in Cavalier Cove and back to Capeside!” he said with finality. “How’s that for a road plan?”
    “Sounds good,” she said.
    “Dang right,” he said with a smirk. “You know I am.” She rolled her eyes.

“There’s some siopao there in the jockey box if you’re hungry,” he said a few minutes later.
    “Shaw-pow?”
    “Ayuh,” he said. “It’s a steamed rice flour meat bun. We tried some in San Myshuno last summer. It was so good I had mum recreate it. This one is a family take on the recipe—hope you’re not allergic to salted eggs!”
    Elia opened the glove compartment and saw a medium-sized paper bag. Inside were several smooth white buns the size of her palm. She took one and nibbled off a piece.
    “Oh! This is really good!” she remarked its savory flavor. “I think I could also taste some shrimp in it?”
    “Right? We put in shrimp to give it that local flavor,” he said. People from the Cape were extremely proud of their seafood. “It goes perfectly with the minced pork, right? You have good taste! Glad you like it! Sammy isn’t so fond of it, though.”
    Elia was taken aback. She did not expect her to be brought up in the conversation.
    “Sammy?”
    “I’ve been courting Sammy for over a year now. You don’t know? How long have you been hanging with The Sams? I’m surprised no one’s told you.”
    Unlike him, Elia wasn’t surprised at all that no one said anything. She had come to realize she was more likely a toy than a friend to The Sams. Of course, they wouldn't tell.
    “That’s a really long time I know," he continued, "And some might say that I should give up and she prolly doesn’t even like me back. But I know she’s just being shy ‘coz I’ve already had 13 girlfriends—“
    “13?!” Elia asked incredulously.
    “Ayuh,” he brushed her off, “Sometimes things just don't work out. Then you move on...
    "But this time, I’m dead serious about us. I really feel like she’s the one for me.
    “She just gotta see my persistence. And my feelings will reach her... I’m sure! Then she’ll agree to go out with me.
    “So put in a good word for me, won’t you? Tell her how awesome I am on this trip,” he winked.
    Elia also had a hunch Sammy did not like Tyler back at all. She hadn’t known her for very long, but she seemed like the type of girl to play around with other people’s feelings. It would be the same for Tyler, wouldn't it? Thirteen was just too high a number to have for exes, she thought. He admitted it himself. He hadn’t been serious in the past. So was he just toying with those poor girls’ hearts too? She concluded that birds of a feather indeed do flock together. He was attracted to her because they were alike. In the sense they were both emotionally manipulative, she thought they’d be perfect for each other.
    CBx1GVn.png
    “Oh! And no falling for me, got it?” he added.
    His snide remark brought her back to her senses.
    “What?”
    “As I said, I’m already taken.”
    “Oh please!” She snorted. “You're not even steady yet!
    "And I wouldn’t fall for you.”
    “Ha! Heard that one before!” He taunted. “But that’s a relief…I was worried a bit back there… Mannie says you’re into big beefy jocks? Is that true?”
    “She what?!” Elia said, turning red from both rage and embarrassment.
    He roared with laughter. “Nah! I’m just messing with you! It’s so easy to tease you—just like my sisters!
    “But judging from your reaction, it seems like you do love your meat though!—Ow! Wait!—I meant the siopao! Hey! Stop hitting me! I’m driving!”

Elia started to dread having come with Tyler. But it had little to do with her having to follow him around everywhere while he lifted crates full of crops by himself. Instead, it was because the people they met keep confusing her for his girlfriend—for Sammy—who he talked about a lot apparently. (No suh, she ain’t her. Sammy’s even more beautiful!) An old shopkeeper from Tripaw even mistook her for his wife. (Catarina! We’re only 17! But I’ll invite you to the wedding in a few months though!) He also proved to be quite the prankster. He played practical jokes on her all the time. Like how he hid in an alley in Sable Square so she’d think she suddenly lost him. Or pretended to walk into the wrong shop then ran out once she stepped inside. And how he convinced Elia that she needed to speak in a Brindleton accent when she spoke to the locals.
    Ps04HrX.png

But as the hours passed, she found she actually enjoyed his goofiness and learned to laugh along. Now, she only got annoyed with him whenever he tried to show off his muscles.

At around midday, with the deliveries done, the two teens decided to stop for some refreshments at a café that overlooked the Atlantic. Elia had a dark chocolate frappe with extra malt while Tyler had a large vanilla protein shake. They decided to drink it while walking down the beach. The sun shone brightly above them. And the ocean lapped lazily at the shore. She would not have guessed a storm was approaching if it were not for the tall wall of dark gray clouds looming over the horizon.

“Look! I think I can see my house from here!” she pointed to a white building perched atop a cliff full of trees in the distance.
    “What? That ain’t your house! That’s just a big ol’ saltbox home.” He said squinting. “A really big one.
    "But there’s no way you can see that from here. We’re still a long way off, miss!”
    “Can you not call me that, anymore?”
    “What? Miss? It's how Capesiders are meant to address the Lady of the Summer Palace, though."
    Elia pouted. They did not need such formalities. She thought she had connected with him after all that happened today. But it seems she was mistaken to think she had found a new friend if he refused to drop the honorifics.
    "But you're right. Miss makes you seem like you're reaaaaaaally old, right?" he laughed again. "I wonder what I could call you, then?”
    “Just Elia is alright.”
    “Absolutely not. Do you have any idea what the townspeople would do to me if they find out I was acting all chummy with you?
    “They’d be like ‘Oi King! You on a first-name basis with the young Miss? Can you ask her this or that for me?’ I already have too much on my plate right now. I can’t afford to be your messenger too! That’d be too much trouble.
    How about a nickname?”
    She lightened up. Maybe he thought of her as a friend after all!
    “Like Thunderthighs?”
    Or not.
    “What?!” She instinctively pulled down her dress. “My thighs aren’t that big!”
    “Sure they are! You haven’t realized it yet? You’ve been hogging the space in my truck with your thiccness all this time. It’s never been that cramped in there before!”
    “It’s cramped in there because you’re so big! Lay off the protein, beef boy!
    “Aha! So you finally admitted to your meat obsession!”
    He laughed and ran away. She gave chase.
    bC4ZSsX.png
    “Hey you, kids!” somebody called. Tyler stopped in his tracks and Elia once again bumped her nose into the small of his back. The force made her fall backward onto the sand.
    It was the barista. “We’re closing down the café for today! Hurricane’s coming! You still got anything you’d wanna order?
    “Nah! We’re good!” Tyler shouted.
    “Alright! Stay safe!” And he and his staff rolled down the shutters.
    Kyah!” Elia squealed. She had been sitting on the sand when a huge wave hit the shore. It soaked her denim overalls from the waist down to her undergarments.
    Tyler began to laugh but extended his hand to help her get up. She took his offer but pulled on him hard until he lost his balance. He fell on his hands right before another wave came.

By the time they had reached the truck, any evidence of their sunny fun-filled morning had already gone. In an instant, the coast was quickly inundated by the growing waves. And the clear sky had become overcast. The temperature also dropped rapidly and soon the teens were shivering in their wet clothes.
    eTqoGhC.png

“Hey, Thunder!” He called to her. She cringed. “Take off your wet clothes.”
    “No way! Then I’ll be practically naked!” She protested. “And who do you think you’re calling thunder!?”
    “Take them off or you’re gonna catch a cold!” He reprimanded. “Here, you can wear this!” He handed her his cardigan which had been left sitting in the pickup. It was warm and dry and smelled of cinnamon.
    “Go on. You can change inside the truck,” he took off his shirt and wrung out the seawater.
    “But what about you?” she asked. “You'd have nothing on without it..?”
    “I’m a guy! I don’t need a shirt,” and he tossed his Henley on the truck’s floor. “Now hurry up and get changed!. We need to get home immediately. I feel ‘tis a strong one.”

The ominous presence of the storm can now be felt throughout the cape. A thick fog rolled in ahead of the cyclone. It cast an otherworldly green glow to everything outside. The wind had also started picking up speed. It rustled the branches of the roadside pine trees. It set off a rain of thousands of needles and pinecones hurtling down the windshield of the truck. Inside, however, Elia’s heart pounded for yet another reason. Right beside her, driving in the middle of nowhere was an unclothed boy. She was certain they were violating some exposure statute. She cannot believe her misfortune. Somehow, she always found herself in these embarrassing situations in various states of undress.

She snuck a peek at Tyler. She hoped he would say something to make things less awkward. But his usual playful eyes had turned serious. With laser focus, he maneuvered through the winding road that led back down to Capeside even with limited visibility. Her gaze started to wander. She noted his high cheekbones, defined jawline, and thick luscious lips. She imagined he would make a good model for anatomical sketches. She observed a protruding vein on his thick neck and followed it as it trailed down his massive shoulders and strong arms.
    YyrlgXB.png
    “Enjoying the view?” He jested.
    She turned red. He noticed her staring.
    “Don’t worry,” he consoled her, “Look all you want. Do whatever it takes to calm you down. Hang in there. I’m gonna get us home in no time.”

Elia was surprised to see them parked in front of the heavy iron gates of the chateau instead of the inn. Tyler explained it would be bad if anybody from town saw them half-naked together. Not wanting any scandalous rumors to circulate, he suggested she should change into regular clothes before they headed for the inn. She appreciated his concern and foresight and thanked him. He turned off the engine and waited outside as she snuck closer to the house.

d5h3pBp.png
    The Summer Palace usually looked grand and impressive in pleasant weather. But in the fog, it looked creepy and foreboding. She walked up to the front doors and turned the key. But the door didn’t budge. Baffled, she pulled harder. The door still wouldn't open. She tried the north, south, and even the garden entrances but none of her keys unlocked any of the doors. She raced back to the truck and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on the glass.
    “King B!”
    “King B?” the shirtless teen repeated. “Wait! You still haven’t changed?”
    “It’s B for Beef Boy!” she explained, trying not to laugh. Then more seriously, “I can’t get in!”
    “What do you mean?”
    “My keys. They don’t work anymore.”
    “What do you want me to do?”
    Elia wondered if they’d be able to reach one of the main floor windows together. Although it was very unlikely since the walls were 20 feet tall. A sharp and thunderous flash of lightning startled them.
    “Hop in.” He swung the pickup door open. “We have to go now! I’ll figure something out on the way.”
    Elia climbed aboard. Whatever rumor some gossipmonger would tell should be the least of his worries. But Tyler said he will come up with a solution, anyway. Hearing his reassurance comforted her. He didn't have to do any of this. But she was glad he did.

The green-tinged sky slowly turned as dark as night. A wall of water surged through the private beach and crashed forcefully against the rocky cliffs. A gale blew through the formal gardens and flattened the flower beds. It dispersed a million purple petals high into the air and all over town. The rain started to pour as the pair drove away from the mansion: first in drops the size of grapes, and then in buckets. The hurricane has made landfall. But Elia was not scared. She had Tyler by her side.
    COu6qB6.png
  • Options
    Chapter 17
    To be fair, Elia, Tyler really didn’t go off on you 😅 he’s busy and trying to get his stuff done before a hurricane hits and you’re dragging him down. Poor guy just doesn’t want to be caught in a storm is all. And it was definitely her fault that the entire palace is now being fumigated – she could have just said she lied, but nope. Teenagers. 😅

Ouch, poor Tyler. Trying to get with her for a year and still not getting anywhere is a big red flag. Aw, they’re probably just using him. Elia and Tyler have one more thing in common now. Aaaaaaand there goes that thought. Elia is very quick to jump to conclusions about a person’s motivations, isn’t she?

Aww, Tyler seems like loads of fun to be around. I like people with a bit of humour 😁 Omg thunderthighs 😂 I wonder if that was a compliment.

I love the slowly changing pictures from sunny to ominous grey. That picture of Elia running to the house in the fog is amazing. Oh dear, he won’t be able to leave after he drops her off at the inn, will he? Not with a hurricane in full force. They might be stuck together for a while.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for checking out the latest update @eufl @Kellogg_J_Kellogg and @_sims_Yimi! 😊

Also I only realized just now there’s a censored word. It is the past tense of rap (verb). Don’t know why they had it disallowed.💀
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    I enjoyed the update :)
    As for the forbidden word... are you sure you included two P's in your word?
  • Options
    @mightysprite Yep. My two backups spell the same thing 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (wrapped without the W).
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Huh, no idea then. Maybe it means something objectionable in another language
  • Options
    Oh well. And thanks for checking out the latest episode! I really appreciate it :3
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I had no idea you were posting stories here.

Added a post so that I can find them, swing by and read them whenever I surf around the forum for a bit.

Hope you are having a good time :)
  • Options
    Unloved 18

bJEV8Lk.png
    “A’ight! You ready?” Tyler hyped up Elia. “On the count of three, we run!” 
    The plan was simple. Tyler had parked the pickup a good fifty yards from the inn. They decided to use the rain, which was now pouring in buckets, as an excuse for being dressed down and wet. He had her wear her own damp clothes again—the outermost layer at least—over the dry cardigan he gave her. He also gave her his folding umbrella. She would speedwalk to the inn and he would dash. If anyone would be looking outside, all they would see were two teens trying to take shelter from the storm. They would not be even thought of as walking together. It was the most perfect plan any teenager could come up with.
    “One,” he started counting.
    “Two—“ she answered.
    “Three!” And they stepped out of the truck. 

Elia struggled to keep the umbrella upright. She thought walking with it proved more challenging than just running through the storm. The wind kept trying to blow it off her hands. The rain seemed to be coming from all directions instead of just downwards. She saw Tyler sprint past her. With that speed, it seemed possible that he could make it to the inn bone dry. Except he didn't. He kept looking back to see how she was doing. And he was getting drenched.

“DON'T STOP! KEEP GOING!” She shouted. But Tyler could not have heard her through the howling wind. He just pumped his arm to tell her she needed to hurry. Elia considered simply ditching the umbrella altogether and just chasing after him.

Suddenly, a flash of white light blinded Elia.

What Elia remembered last was a loud cracking noise. It took her a while to realize she was laying on the cold, wet pavement. Rain steadily fell on her face. As she sat up, she realized she could not hear anything except a high-pitched ringing. Her eyes adjusted to her surroundings and soon saw the burning upper half of a pine tree. It had fallen where she had been standing a few seconds ago. Lightning must have struck the tree and snapped it; sending its branches crashing down onto them. Then Elia saw Tyler laying beside her. He must have dashed back and pulled her out of the way before the tree could crush her. 

Elia breathed a sigh of relief, thankful for his quick reflexes.
    "Oh my gosh! That was really close," she said between heavy breaths, trying not to panic.
    She expected him to get up. To flash his smug smile at her. To tell her not to worry because he was a strong man. That what they had experienced was nothing compared to his playoffs.

uqhMMyy.png
    But he didn't get up. He lay unmoving on the ground; with the side of his head in a puddle.
    “Tyler…” She tried to shake him awake.
    Nothing.
    “Tyler?” She called out louder.
    “C’mon, we have to get going,” she tried to prop him up. But he must have weighed about two hundred pounds, and the rain was coming down hard on their heads. She slipped on the cobblestones and they fell another time.
    Another flash of lightning illuminated their surroundings. Elia noticed Tyler's face was bleeding.
    “Oh my gosh. Tyler, stop messing around! It's not funny!” Elia stifled a sob. “I’m already worried! If that’s your goal, you can stop it now. Ha. Ha. You got me really bad…
    “Tyler, stop it!” She pleaded. “I said, stop it!”
    Elia noticed a few people peeking through the windows of the nearby house. They were looking out to see what could have caused the loud crash outside.
    She knew they were trying to be discreet. She understood the unwholesome rumors that might come with them just being seen together. But if being noticed by any of the townsfolk meant helping Tyler, she would rather face those risks. She stood up and flailed her arms. She screamed as loudly as she could.
    “Somebody, please! HELP!”

1idXHS1.png
    Mrs. Susanna King phoned Robert to tell her about what had happened. He arranged an emergency house call with the town family doctor. He wanted to have both teens immediately looked after. He then implored Mrs. King to watch over Elia. He assured her that the bill would be settled and that everything would be taken care of. He promised to come and pick up Elia as soon as the worst of the storm passes. Mrs. King thanked him gratuitously before dropping the line. She offered Elia dry clothes to wear. And she made her a cup of steaming hot cocoa. Elia savored the drink. With each sip, she felt the heat coursing through her body. It calmed her enough to forget about her troubles a little.

After about a quarter-hour, the doctor finally arrived at the Kings' household. She did a quick checkup on Elia (who thankfully wasn't injured at all) before moving to the other room to check on Tyler. Elia and Mrs. King sat side by side outside the door of his room. A heavy silence lingered in the air; both too tense and worried to strike up casual conversation. After a few minutes, the doctor exited.

“Doctor! What happened?” Mrs. King frantically asked. 
    “It’s alright,” the doctor said. “He just fainted earlier. Probably from a combination of overstimulation and fatigue. But he’ll recover fine. He's a healthy teenager. No underlying health issues or serious injuries. Although I would advise against this fad diet he's trying.”
    “Diet? Ugh! I told him to stop this bodybuilder nonsense!" Mrs. King hissed, "But thank you, doctor. And I'm sorry you had to come out in this weather.”

A sharp cracking noise disrupted the two older women’s conversation. They looked to see that the strong winds had ripped one of the shutters clean off the window. Mrs. King grimaced.
    sJi1iR5.png
    “It’s fine.” The doctor said through a forced gummy smile, “It’s all part of the job.
    "I just hope that this hurricane passes quickly. It’s the strongest one we had in years.”
    “I sure hope so. We can only hold out for so long. Tyrone wasn’t able to replace the broken roof tiles ‘coz of the accident. And now with Tyler out sick, I don’t know what I’ll do if the house breaks down any further."
    “Don’t worry, Susanna. It’s only a few days more ‘til Tyrone’s cast comes off. And Tyler just needs some rest tonight. Besides, your house is way better off than mine. I still have a thatched roof! I’d have it replaced with metal sheets by now but I can't! Not when the Commission's rules on the Summer Palace extend to all of Capeside, I—“
    Mrs. King put a hand on the doctor’s arm and shook her head. She looked at Elia. The latter followed her gaze and stopped talking all the same. Elia did not understand but she felt like they were keeping something from her.

“I must get going, Susanna,” the doctor reminded, trying to dispel the awkward atmosphere. Mrs. King hurriedly ushered her to the front door. Elia heard the doctor giving off instructions as she put on her raincoat.
    "If Tyler complains about facial pain, it's only from his bruises. You can give him some Tylenol when he does. He should still be able to eat solid foods, but just in case, feed him soft food first. Soup is best. The canned variety should be alright..."
    "A can of whooping is what I'm giving him when he wakes up! Making me worry like that!"
    “Oh my! Susanna!”
    The two ladies laugh boisterously and kissed each other goodbye. Then the doctor raced into the tempest outside.

“Miss Elia,” Mrs. King said flatly as she bolted the door. She turned to Elia who tensed up immediately. She expected Tyler’s mum to nag her. But she surprised her by hugging her tightly.
    “I’m sorry for being inappropriate,” Mrs. King said as she broke the embrace, “but I’m just so grateful. If you didn’t find him lying there, he could’ve…we would've...”
    Mrs. King broke down into tears and was inconsolable. She kept thanking her between sobs.

Elia felt extremely guilty. It seemed that Mrs. King was under the impression that she was the hero who found and helped Tyler. That he maybe got into an accident and she was the first to respond. When really, it was the other way around. He saved her. In fact, he shouldn’t be even injured in the first place. He could’ve made it back to the inn dry and safe and sound but he just had to look out after her. She shouldn’t be thanking her. It's true she called for help for him but it was also her fault he was even hurting after all.

Elia decided to come clean. She pulled herself out of Mrs. King's arms and reasoned with her. She told her she was misunderstanding things. That she didn't deserve her thanks. But the middle-aged woman was overwhelmed with emotion. She did not care about the details. All she knew was things could have been a lot worse. And she truly believed their family would have become helpless without her son, Tyler. She took none of Elia's explanations. And attributed the young lady's pleas to humility.

Their bickering stopped when they noticed Tyler's room's door had swung open. The burly teenager now stood in the doorway. He sported bandaids and thick swaths of petroleum jelly over scratches that ran down the side of his head. He must have grazed his face on the cobblestones when he lost consciousness. But aside from that, Elia was relieved to see he seemed perfectly fine. It looked like their conversation woke him up. His eyes squinted at the hallway's bright lights.

"Tyler," Mrs. King said. "You should be resting."
    "Hey, Thunder..." he said groggily, looking at Elia, completely oblivious to his mom.
    Elia felt warmth course through her body once more; this time from the embarrassment. Was he really going to call her Thunderthighs in front of his mom?
    Tyler suddenly realized what he had just said. He snorted.
    "T-thunder. Been thundering a lot lately, huh..?" he said quickly. Elia tried not to laugh at his sorry attempt of saving himself from almost calling her by that nickname.
    "Bub, what are you talking about? I think you better lay down some more." Mrs. King said concernedly. She mumbled to herself about getting her son's head checked one more time. She believed Tyler, who was still obviously trying to hold back his laughter, was being delirious. She asked Elia to help put him to bed. But luckily, her assistance wasn't all that needed. He did not put up a fight. He obediently went along with them and lay on the bed himself.

"Well son, ya finally did it. You brought a girl home," a manly and bubbly voice said. "And she's quite the catch."
    Elia turned to see the familiar smiling face of the town grocer's shopkeeper, Tyrone King. She and Robert rarely ran into him outside of his shop but whenever they do see him, he was always wearing a warm smile. Even now, when he was severely physically injured; when he cautiously maneuvered himself through the cramped house, and when his family is worried sick about their son, he still kept a positive attitude. Perhaps Tyler got some of his playfulness from his father?
    "You okay there, bub?" Mr. King asked Tyler.
    99APG42.png
    "'Tis but a scratch," he said dismissively. "I'm totally fine. Mum's just overreacting!"
    "I'm not overreacting! I'm worried about you! You said you'd be back well before the hurricane makes landfall! You said not to worry! You said it's just a quick delivery run but you managed to get your butt hurt. Your face is freakin' bleeding. And now I find you haven't been eating well for this bodybuilding. Why if you weren't in bed, Imma beat you so hard you'd end up back in there!"
    "WOAH! Calm down Sussy! The boy said he's fine," Mr. King urged his wife. "Maybe some hot cocoa might help? Come now, I think I can manage to make you some. We can't be embarrassing our son right in front of a girl, can we?" He winked at Tyler.
    "Thanks, Pops," Tyler said with a smile.
    "And Miss," Mr. King said to Elia, a little bit more quietly. "Thank you."
    "Oh no," She answered. "It was Tyler who really—"
    But Mr. and Mrs. King had already left the room shutting the door behind them. Now, it was just Tyler and Elia.
    "Come sit." he gestured towards the edge of his bed. Elia took the offer and sat down.
    "Don't worry about it, Thunder," he said. "It's best they don't know what really happened."
    "But I caused this," she retorted. "I hurt you. I'm the reason you're all beat up. The least I could do is own up to it."
    "Bruh, what are you saying? If you tell them then you'd have to fess up to goin' with me on my deliveries! You're gonna get us both in trouble."
    "I'd say it was my all fault! That I forced you to make me come with you."
    "But we've already been through this! No one in town is gonna believe that! They'd think I was trying to have you all to myself!"
    "I'll just own up to it again. I'll clarify and clarify until all the rumors go away. Besides, who cares what they think?"
    "I do! I care! Because then you won't be able to go out with me like that again!"

Both Elia and Tyler were taken aback by what he had just said. Elia knew Tyler was so cautious of the rumors but she thought he was doing it to protect his family from the townspeople. He said he didn't want to be troubled by them harassing him to win her favors. But could there be more beyond those reasons? Was he secretly looking out for her all this time?
    xs08iQR.png

"I meant...Mr. Dubois will do everything in his power to keep you safe. That includes locking you inside the inn. And I dunno about you but I don't like the sound of that."
    "But—"
    "No buts! We're cool. You don't have to tell him. And you don’t need to feel sorry for anything. It's not like you dropped the tree on me yourself."
    Elia was at a loss for words. She knew Tyler meant what he had just said. That he didn't hold her responsible. But…
    "Still, I'm sorry," she finally said softly "If you hadn't gone back for me you'd have—"
    "I'd have regretted it." he cut her off. "I would have regretted if I'd looked back and saw you flattened by a pine when I could've done something—anything to help it! I would be miserable."
    "But why? Why look after me? You could have avoided all of this. You didn't have to get scratched like that! I hate that you're hurting because of me!"
    "Look. You're way overthinking this," Tyler said as he flicked her forehead. "There ain't have to be a reason, Thunder. You don't think of a reason first before you help someone you care about! I'm sure you'd have done the same for me.
    "I was at the right place at the right time. I was in the position to act. It was like a reflex. Speaking of which, you should definitely work on yours. ‘Twas the slowest reaction time I’ve ever seen.”

Tyler reenacted the pine tree falling on them with his pillow. He greatly exaggerated Elia’s deer-in-the-headlights gaze. She felt a little annoyed at his little charade. But more than that, she felt an odd happiness. Her facial muscles tensed up as she tried her hardest not to grin widely. It just felt inappropriate to do so considering the outcome. But she couldn’t help it. He hadn’t realized it yet but he just affirmed he did care for her. And there was just something about those words and the way he said them that made her feel all warm and tingly.

“Hey, mind if you scoot over a dight? I think I might actually need to rest. I feel really sleepy all of a sudden."
    Elia watched as Typer stretched and lifted his arms above his head. He shifted around the bed a few times before diving under the covers. He let out a soft, deep, satisfied groan.
    "That's better.”

Elia watched Tyler as he slowly drifted into sleep. She looked to check his injury. In the dim light of his bedroom and with the generous ointment covering it, his face scratches seemed a lot deeper than they actually were. She hoped they really weren't all that serious. She would feel incredibly guilty if they turned our permanent. She thought it would be a shame to have such gashes on his handsome face. Especially when she knew exactly how he got them. It was all because of her.

Tyler was right. She was indeed overthinking things. But she had gone through a lot in the short time since she got out of the orphanage. She had always been trying to fit in a place where she felt she did not belong. Or rather, others always made her feel that she did not belong. The kids in the orphanage. Edward and the fight for the right as the Thebe heir. Robert with his butler mode at home. And the Sams at school. They all treated her the same. But with Tyler, it felt different. He made her feel welcome. It was almost even like he made room for her in his life.

"Thank you for saving me," she whispered to her sleeping friend. But the words felt like they weren’t enough to express what she was feeling. She wanted to show him. Maybe a tight hug would suffice? Or maybe she could give him a kiss of gratitude? Would that be enough? Would that make him understand how much he meant to her right now?

Of course, it would. She bent over him and leaned in closer and closer. It was only an innocent peck on the cheek. A form of thanks. Her face was now only a few inches away from his.
    Obh2KoD.png

YZOyvbz.png
    Tyler's eyes fluttered open, surprising Elia. She shot up straight and regained composure. She could not believe what she just almost did.
    “I should probably get going now,” Elia excused herself. “I'll see you around.”
    “Wait,” He said, pulling at the small of her sleeves.
    “I totally forgot… I meant to ask you earlier….You hurt anywhere?” He asked. So that was what he wanted to tell her a while back in the hallway. Elia felt all warm and tingly again knowing he worried about her enough to keep him up. But she can't let this continue. He needed to recover.
    “Nope. All thanks to you.” She assured him. 'See? Not a single scratch.”
    “Noice...,” he let her go. “Promise me you won’t tell Mr. Dubois? That you'd never think it's your fault? That I won't catch you moping around anymore?”
    “Alright, alright. I promise.”
    "That’s my girl..." Tyler muttered before finally falling asleep.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Great to have this story back. I was thinking only yesterday about "Unloved" and wondering if it would make a return.