Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the game work now?

I have been holding off on opening Origin since the game breaking update. Thankfully I didnt download that update, but now I'm scared to risk opening Origin and getting the patches/updates if the game is still really broken.
So you all understand, I'm on Gen 47 in my game, and REALLY dont want to break it! :#

I really want to buy High School Years, but there's no point if I can't play it, or if I corrupt my save file.

Do you think the game is playable yet? Did the emergency patch fix all of the game breaking problems?
Or do you think it's best to hold off until they release more fixes?

As I haven't played it, I'm not sure how bad the state of the game currently is, so just wanted to get your thoughts.
Thanks guys <3

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Origin offline mode then Turn off automatic updates
    This will keep the update at bay until you're ready to decide. You can safely play your game offline.

Always keep a backup. The most game breaking aging bug was fixed in the hot fix. HSY still has bugs but not everyone experiences the same issues. example: Prom doesn't work in my game. I've seen plenty who are happily playing the new pack after the hot fix with no complaints. No telling if it will be the same for you. Another patch that fixes the remaining issues could take a while.

If you do end up patching and buying the new pack then I suggest having a backup, make sure any mods you may have are up to date, and play a test save first so you don't have to worry about your other save files.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Origin offline mode then Turn off automatic updates
    This will keep the update at bay until you're ready to decide. You can safely play your game offline.

Until this week this has always worked. But the origin update this week forced several players to update. The origin update started to 'repair' the game without my permission and would not let me play until the repair was finished. And the repair included the update. So be warned. If you want to be sure, turn off Internet before starting origin so it can't update. There was a second origin update this week but I can't say if that removed the forced update as it is too late for my game.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 is one of the most balanced games in the history of video games. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Origin is fine for me. All this "auto-forced" stuff I've been reading is disturbing though.
    Here! Have another tall frosty glass of sarcasm! :D:D:D

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    Sadly, I'm still unable to play. I have the groundhog day bug where nothing I do counts, it just resets all my progress.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited August 2022
    It kinda works. But there is a lot broken and the laundry lists always seem to have some obscure bugs on it that I have mostly never seen. Whereas the main gameplay mechanics seem to be suffering from some really intense entropy.

Routing is off with sims doing the slow walk through furniture and door frames. Setting an action for a sim and then moving to another sim inevitably means the action will get dropped from the queue to do the usual play video games, troll the forums, etc.

Even the pause is breaking down with sims continuing to move their heads when paused. That happened after I installed the last patch for me. Before that sims were looking sideways when washing up and playing games etc.

Also the last patch seems to have messed up the going to bed for me as well. My sims used to dutifully go to their own beds when they were tired or auto-solve was clicked at sensible bed time, but now they nap on sofas and even benches in garden before they use their assigned beds.

I could do go on and on.

I still play, but now they have taken my minute to minute gameplay mechanic away from me (whims), it really is just a dollhouse now. A pretty one.

I bought the base game in 2014 and it is only very recently that I have turned autonomy off and have do a lot more micromanaging than I use to.

So no I wouldn't say the game works, but you can have fun with it. As I have said before the game is like getting a bucket of third hand lego where a mix of kits have been thrown in and some bits have gone missing. You can still have fun with it, but..yeah...shame really.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    Thank you for all of your answers. I think I'm going to hold off for now. It is such a shame, there seems to actually be a lot of great content, it just doesn't work properly. When you end up feeling like you're fighting the game to get your sims to do what you've asked them to do, it doesn't feel good to play.
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,929 Member
    Oh that i think if you disable 'autonomy for selected sims' your sim will do what you want.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member

LOL I have to think you're working for EA when you say such things. Or that you're so loyal, they can do no wrong. You're such a character! Glad to see you back to posting again. I've missed you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    Oh that i think if you disable 'autonomy for selected sims' your sim will do what you want.

Ah even then the game tends to cancel all of the actions I've lined up, because it decides sims want to do something else instead. This was my irritation before, but then on top of all of the new bugs with the new patches etc, I think I'll hold off until they've released those promised, but yet unreleased fixes ;)
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,929 Member
    yeah @asimbsim , i was thinking the same im taking a step back too anyways im going on a road trip next week.

But after i got hit by couple annoying fears i got frustrated, and i didnt really start to experiment with that 'selected sim' option i left it as is so i wasnt too sure... for me as is id say half the time the queues work, i dont know what exactly it depends on. And like you ive had queus cancelld too... :) l8r
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member
    My thrifty store disappeared and I put a new store in and as soon as I exited CAS for creating an outfit, that store disappeared too. I even took out my mods and tested it. But it seems I'm the only one with this problem.