Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Child to "Teen"

Big gap there! ;)
DvT95zY.png
More like age 9 to age 18 in a single leap.
Reticulating Splines...
9ODVlJh.png

Comments

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Always has been. Toddler to child too. But then teen to young adult to adult change hardly at all.
    That's the problem without gradual growth programmed in.

I suppose we can make hairstyle, clothing and accessory choices to help...
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    There's a mod you can download that makes teens shorter. It helps in making them actually feel like teens, and you can also tell them apart from YA without even hovering over them.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited August 2022
    @NRowe Toddler to child is not a big gap in my opinion. Child to what is called "teen" is. I would be in favour of another age group. So far there are 3 (really). Todller, Child, and Teen/Young Adult/Adult/Elder.

I understand it would take a heck of alot of programming though.
    (I didn't include "Baby" because it is a 'thing' that doesn't really do anything. Cute and annoying at the same time, like real life babies. Heh heh! ;) )

@sam123 I tried some of those mods, but they never worked.

However, I do like that EA and Maxis has finally made a pack, not just any pack, but a full pack to make "Teens" more interesting. Since it's Highschool, that would be on average age 16 to 18. Which really is, if I had to call it something else, "Young Young Adult" or "Newbie Adult." :D

EDIT: I often try to get through the "teen" age in Sims 4 because it is (or was) boring. (Sometimes even skip it and 'age up') But with this High School Years pack, looks like it will not be boring anymore. If a player wants to play it. :)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    I wish EA would change the body shape of teens a bit more, even if they left the heights alone for the sake of clothing. Puberty is a thing and it isn't just pimples and mood swings. Bodies change shape. For cis women, that means hips widen, chests develop, etc. For cis men, shoulders broaden and...other stuff...I don't know, I've never paid much mind to the appearance of men! For everyone, people lose the little kid shape, but it doesn't happen overnight.

If this was considered more for the teen sims, I think it would make a massive difference. For now, I'll stick with full edit mode in CAS to get the more gradual changes I want.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    I agree the gap is there, but I think it doesn't help much that the teen of your example is dressed quite adult-ish. I try to start out with teens wearing more typical teens wear, like sweater, jeans and sneaker shoes and then I'd proceed to outfits more reflecting their personal style (or their class, even) for the last half of their teenage years. I love the UNI outfits for my teens, they mostly look very cozy and casual.

I think the TS3 had a better transfer f rom child to teen, as teens looked less YA. But I've learned to accept the TS4 ways. When EA did not adjust teens with a pack like High School Years, they never will :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    That's how it's always been so I don't see a gap, if they do anything with height it would probably be in an expansion or expansion release patch otherwise just use a mod.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    I agree the gap is there, but I think it doesn't help much that the teen of your example is dressed quite adult-ish. I try to start out with teens wearing more typical teens wear, like sweater, jeans and sneaker shoes and then I'd proceed to outfits more reflecting their personal style (or their class, even) for the last half of their teenage years. I love the UNI outfits for my teens, they mostly look very cozy and casual.

I think the TS3 had a better transfer from child to teen, as teens looked less YA. But I've learned to accept the TS4 ways. When EA did not adjust teens with a pack like High School Years, they never will :)

I'm not complaining. Just was like "Wow what the?" :o
    That's what the game randomly chose when she aged up to teen. I often do modify it in CAS to look more like "teen", or just put candles back on the cake and skip right to Young Adult. :D
    However with there finally being a pack making "Teen" more interesting to play, I'll probably be having more of them as played characters in my game now for fun. ;)

What I've usually been doing with teens (if I want to play them awhile) is cheat in a whole bunch of vacation days to keep them from being forced into the 'rabbit-hole' all the time. (If they skip classes too much and drop to really bad grades, then the school police take them away and put them in a permanent 'rabbit-hole' residential jail school I guess. :# )

But, if there's an active high-school now, then that will be more fun to play. :)

On a side note, it's interesting in some cultures 15 or 16 is officially considered "young adult". So looking at it that way, I suppose it's not such a 'shock'. A friend of mine's parents were both 17 when he was born so 16 I guess when they started doing "adult" things lol! Married at 17 or 18 I think? Though in the culture I live in, 19 is officially adult.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    100 years ago I think it was quite common to become young adult (and even marry sometime) at 16-17. In modern time lots of YA wait to have one child until pushing 40. I guess it takes more freedom to being able to see the entire world, we are global while our ancestors were often stuck to a small farm. In 100 years from now perhaps people won't find time to have kids at all, LOL.

How do you cheat vacation days? Not that it will become a habit of mine, but it might come in handy when playing my residential boarding school.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited August 2022
    An intermediate stage would be cool, except then they would have to make it very different for (cis) guys and girls because in those two groups, the development timeline is so different, that you would not be able to have one intermediate step for both males and females, because girls do all the finishing into women, by the age of 16 on average, more like 15 for certain ancestries. For boys, that's the age at which they are just getting started!

I suppose they could make an early teen stage in which they are just kids but a little taller? And maybe give designated female teens small breasts and a slight "shape" but not as much as adults? And make the male ones that same amount slightly taller, only with shoulders slightly bigger than their child self, but not as big as the adult self? It would still depict both a little oddly, because development and height don't progress the same way, or at the same ages, for both, and it would require redoing every single article of clothing just for that very brief period.

The problem trying to relate teens to adults is, we have apple teens and orange adults, so then we need to compare apple teens to apple adults, and orange teens to orange adults...and what about grape teens, and grape adults?

A 'Fruits basket' indeed. :D

At the end of the day, in a game where heights are the same across life stages for all sexes and genders, developmental milestones have to be treated about the same too, even though in reality they are vastly different, otherwise we'd have to split things up and have separate categories for children, teens, and adults, to reflect dimorphic differences in each, and can you imagine the mess that would make?
    Post edited by ignominiusrex on
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited August 2022
    deleted. A good discussion for somewhere else. A different thread maybe. Sorry!
    Post edited by ignominiusrex on
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited August 2022
    NRowe wrote: »
    Always has been. Toddler to child too. But then teen to young adult to adult change hardly at all.

Yeah, somewhat.

I do find the young adult to adult change looks more like going from 22 to 47 in one click, then elder is about 75.

Visually and interactions / CAS preferences menus it seems like this:

2 -> 6 -> 18 -> 22 -> 47 -> 75.

Toddler - > Child -> Teen -> Young Adult -> Adult -> Elder

If you squint and look at your monitor sideways through a mirror - there's a difference between teen and young adult. But yeah...

Then again given how High School adds all sorts of adult features to 'teens' making them look younger would be very creepy.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    NRowe wrote: »

That's because the jump from child to Teen is so huge, the jump from Teen to Young Adult can only be small.
    Also the teens have never looked this old in any of the other sims games.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    @Admiral8Q I've yet to see a Child Sim with hips! Did you do that to her to help simulate a pre-teen? I agree it's a huge leap. It's not quite as startling as having the Child Sim leap out of the bassinet, however. But, yeah, we really, really, REALLY need that in between stage.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member

I think the TS3 had a better transfer f rom child to teen, as teens looked less YA. But I've learned to accept the TS4 ways. When EA did not adjust teens with a pack like High School Years, they never will :)

I agree, the shorter Teens was a bit easier to accept. However, seeing such a young Teen IE 13-14, at best, driving a care was particularly jolting to me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I skip the child life stage and jump straight to the teen life stage so my merfolk have a merman or mermaid form. One thing I noticed is that my teen merfolk have a smaller frame, and when they age up, their frame is more developed.

I’ve spent enough time in CAS recently to notice a difference between teens and young adults. However, the jump from child to teen is huge.

Honestly, if they add a life stage and work on updating the current life stages. I hope they give occult children their occult forms. It would fix a bug that causes occult children to not have an occult form after they age up.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    @NRowe Toddler to child is not a big gap in my opinion. Child to what is called "teen" is. I would be in favour of another age group. So far there are 3 (really). Todller, Child, and Teen/Young Adult/Adult/Elder.

(I didn't include "Baby" because it is a 'thing' that doesn't really do anything. Cute and annoying at the same time, like real life babies. Heh heh! ;) )

However, I do like that EA and Maxis has finally made a pack, not just any pack, but a full pack to make "Teens" more interesting. Since it's Highschool, that would be on average age 16 to 18. Which really is, if I had to call it something else, "Young Young Adult" or "Newbie Adult." :D

EDIT: I often try to get through the "teen" age in Sims 4 because it is (or was) boring. (Sometimes even skip it and 'age up') But with this High School Years pack, looks like it will not be boring anymore. If a player wants to play it. :)

I would love to have updated babies. I play with aging off most of the time and have had some babies for years, hoping for a baby update, I so wish we could do something with babies other than what we do….. can’t even sit down with them. L

Pre teens would be nice too, but children already get so few clothing options that I can just imagine how sparse clothing options would be for preteens. And they already don’t update things for children…. No bikes for kids, they can’t pillow fight, can’t sit in their bed on their tablets or computers, can’t play ping pong……. I would love to see them update all those things for kids.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited August 2022
    It bothers me sometimes, but I know if they had gradual aging or more heights, it would create issues with rigging, EG: sitting, hugging, cooking, most interactions really. They also likely wouldn't go back and add clothes from packs to fit the new bodies. Then people will probably be upset about lack of choice. I think I wanted the teens to be younger, like in the previous games, but I have accepted they are high school seniors in the Sims 4, I mean, they can enroll for college at that time (though they can't start yet).

I would be upset about missing so many years, but let's face it, the gameplay is geared towards young adult/adult sims. We are not missing much, it would be another pointless age, like children, they you have to keep alive until they are useful.
    Edit: I do still tend to dress my teens younger, but it only goes so far.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

I would love to have updated babies. I play with aging off most of the time and have had some babies for years, hoping for a baby update, I so wish we could do something with babies other than what we do….. can’t even sit down with them. L

Pre teens would be nice too, but children already get so few clothing options that I can just imagine how sparse clothing options would be for preteens. And they already don’t update things for children…. No bikes for kids, they can’t pillow fight, can’t sit in their bed on their tablets or computers, can’t play ping pong……. I would love to see them update all those things for kids.

You know if we could only add one thing for babies, for me, it would be the ability to sit down with them in a chair to nurse or feed. Who feeds a baby standing?

If we could add two things, the second would be a changing table.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Always was that way but one of the things i love about High School Years is it gives teens that younger feel that was always missing if you choose to play it that way. I even changed the way I play teen sims that are actively going to high school in certain mods. I really appreciate the pack opening up the teen years like it did because prior to it, all teens were just adults with no job and mood swings. We have a lot more versatility now.