Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Worlds are getting smaller

Comments

• Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    People are saying what I'm thinking AND saying. The world is bigger with less to do. Remember how many shell buildings there are right in the middle of Britechester? Endless 20x20 shells that are completely useless. Doubtless the pier will be rabbit holes - the Haunted House and even the Ferris wheel - if the Ferris Wheel is functional.

There's a football field, but it doesn't look like you can build on it... And the lake takes up about half of the world, forcing you to take huge round trips that eat up your day.

Some of the buildings in Strangerville just SCREAM 'a lot could go here' - multiple shells right along the road. In fact... Strangerville was the first pack with some kind of story.

The entire point of Sims 4 is that by moving between lots through a loading screen, the loading in general would be lessened. Having less lots doesn't actually impact this. I understand; you want to set some kind of theme for the world in the trailer, and put in a few basic families with personalities. But once those three basic families are in there, there's hardly any room for OUR families to interact with them! Also, the so-called 'basic' families always seem to take the largest, nicest lots.

Nobody wants to play as the basic families. Perhaps they like to interact with them. Realistically, you can fit one, maybe two of your own buildings in there, before you have to knock down amenities.

What happened to getting worlds the size of Windenburg?

Sorry to say, worlds the size of Windenburg aren't ever going to be seen again in sims4, from all indicators. Qnd it is so annoying that so much if this game is a fakse front and you think it's a town but then it's just a set and hothouse aren't buildings, they are stage props so you can take pictures but can't go in or have interactions with most of each "world".

I go back and forth between 2, 3, and 4, and 4 is easiest to build in, that's true. But that's the initial of what the game is most useful for, because too much of it is looks only, no substance.

I mentioned on another thread that I just got done putting in The Boardwalk, a 64x64 lot amusement park with 2 working roller coasters and an arcade, all kinds of activities and ZERO rsbbitholes, and the Roaring Heights pack is like all sims 3 worlds, makes Windenburg look dinky by comparison.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    VicandraVicandra Posts: 3 New Member
    I have to agree. I'm trying find place to live for my sim. He has grown up at that farmer life world (don't know what it's in English, since I have other language game installed) but his parents have already taken that empty lot for their house and since I have vision for house he want to build for his wife and kids, he is not going to return there after uni... there is no space exept if I take bulldozzer...
    Yes, we definately need more playground for our sims.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't know why people always get the impression that the sims was about total freedom and ts4 is suddently restricting players. Sure ts4 has more building limitations due to the foundation but the gameplay limitations were always there. It's a "video game" and there were always elements in every sims game that were restricted or forced you in a certain direction. The devs made it and at the end of the day it is their game and partly their vision of how certain things should work. They have that right. No game has "100% total freedom" infact ts4 has the most gameplay freedom of all the sims game. Ts3 forces a lot of things players might not want and that's normal for a game. the devs now try their best to take a lot into consideration so players have plenty of freedom. At the end of it all It's impossible to please everyone no matter what and there are limitations that can't be bypassed.

In terms of the world I don't think they are getting smaller and I've really been liking the worlds a lot lately. Glad they are moving away from the repeated suburbs which never fit any of my sims.
    I believe at some point the devs confirmed that we will no longer get Windenburg size worlds with tons of lots because the game will go on for a long time and performance and everything has to be taken into consideration. Could also be budget as mentioned by logion.

I'm okay with the sizes we get and I think they are decent. I love to have a variety of world types so I would rather have a bunch of small ones with varying themes more than a few big ones. I almost never even play in Windenburg. I also like how they are trying to make the environments feel more interactive. I think if anything we are upgrading.

Has it been confirmed the lake is not swimmable? We get swimming lakes almost all the time now. It's no big deal if it's not. I would like it for my mermaid though.

Hmmm, sure every Sims game had it's limitations but for the sake of one evolution in each version it was mixture of old and new and yes, I had freedom to make my worlds the way I see fit in Sims 2 and 3 and Sims 4 evolution was more of a move back in time. Some people like myself want the tools to expand the neighborhood the way I see fit and not be static. As far as freedom goes, I had more freedom than what is offered here, and I played when the Sims first came about. It is not a bad game, but my creativity is not where I want it to be and yes, Sims 4 is restricting for a number of reasons, but I will leave it at that. However, this would be no problem if this was the first version, but others played 2 and 3 and why they want to do more it is called Precedence and why some compare each version.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don't know why people always get the impression that the sims was about total freedom and ts4 is suddently restricting players. Sure ts4 has more building limitations due to the foundation but the gameplay limitations were always there. It's a "video game" and there were always elements in every sims game that were restricted or forced you in a certain direction. The devs made it and at the end of the day it is their game and partly their vision of how certain things should work. They have that right. No game has "100% total freedom" infact ts4 has the most gameplay freedom of all the sims game. Ts3 forces a lot of things players might not want and that's normal for a game. the devs now try their best to take a lot into consideration so players have plenty of freedom. At the end of it all It's impossible to please everyone no matter what and there are limitations that can't be bypassed.

In terms of the world I don't think they are getting smaller and I've really been liking the worlds a lot lately. Glad they are moving away from the repeated suburbs which never fit any of my sims.
    I believe at some point the devs confirmed that we will no longer get Windenburg size worlds with tons of lots because the game will go on for a long time and performance and everything has to be taken into consideration. Could also be budget as mentioned by logion.

I'm okay with the sizes we get and I think they are decent. I love to have a variety of world types so I would rather have a bunch of small ones with varying themes more than a few big ones. I almost never even play in Windenburg. I also like how they are trying to make the environments feel more interactive. I think if anything we are upgrading.

Has it been confirmed the lake is not swimmable? We get swimming lakes almost all the time now. It's no big deal if it's not. I would like it for my mermaid though.

In Sims 2 you can import custom maps, choose an existing new map and you can place and delete lots on every map. In Sims 3 you could create an entire custom world using a free tool, and also place and delete lots in-game. Sims 4 you cannot import maps, you cannot create a world, you can’t add or remove lots, you can’t even edit the objects in the worlds. So yes it is restricting players in ways the previous 2 games went out of their way to support. It’s an obvious downgrade.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    The lake won't be swimmable. We'll be lucky to get more than two fishing spots.

Have seen some of the exploring the pack videos and have yet to spot a fishing sign. Lots of no fishing signs, though.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2022

In Sims 2 you can import custom maps, choose an existing new map and you can place and delete lots on every map. In Sims 3 you could create an entire custom world using a free tool, and also place and delete lots in-game. Sims 4 you cannot import maps, you cannot create a world, you can’t add or remove lots, you can’t even edit the objects in the worlds. So yes it is restricting players in ways the previous 2 games went out of their way to support. It’s an obvious downgrade.

But everything your naming is build and world related. Ts4 will never have that amount of freedom to build because of the foundation. I think if one wants to enjoy to ts4 they just have to accept that. I was referring to gameplay. The gameplay has always had certain limitations in each iteneration. And ts4 is actually the most sandbox with the most "gameplay" freedom.
    But my point was that certain limitations are normal and to be expected in a video game. People seem to have extreme expectations for a game. And if the devs want to design something a certain way they have that right. It's their game and we choose if we want to purchase or not based on what we see.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Which means the foundation is, fom our perspective, flawed. TS 4 was originally to be an online game, and online game worlds are not touchable by the players, only walk through able with limited interaction. That concept crashed so they had to re-do things to work with the totally different concepts of Sims games shown in the first 3 versions. They would have known long before release there would be serious issues, but instead of letting it be an interim platform while a proper one was prepared by whatever means, they chose to stick with it. For a record amount of time. Very possibly because they realized that a limited platform is great for being a controlling platform, of implementing the above mentioned 'play our way or not at all'. There was far greater freedom of expression in the older versions, technological limitations notwithstanding. The veterans of those older games know this and are not happy.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

But everything your naming is build and world related. Ts4 will never have that amount of freedom to build because of the foundation. I think if one wants to enjoy to ts4 they just have to accept that. I was referring to gameplay. The gameplay has always had certain limitations in each iteneration. And ts4 is actually the most sandbox with the most "gameplay" freedom.
    But my point was that certain limitations are normal and to be expected in a video game. People seem to have extreme expectations for a game. And if the devs want to design something a certain way they have that right. It's their game and we choose if we want to purchase or not based on what we see.

Yes, but it enhances gameplay, and it is part of gameplay. Yes, you are right it is the dev's right to create the program as they see fit but that goes both ways as the customer has a right to spend money on games that satisfy their taste. Who is hurt more the customer that do not buy their product or the company which loses income as most may not buy their product? The company as they lose income and the customer keep their money. Wanting something that was in in previous versions is not extreme maybe to you as I read the posts where people want bigger Neighborhoods and less fluff that can't be used, that is not extreme. Luckily for EA/Maxis by focusing on those who have not played the previous version.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Which means the foundation is, from our perspective, flawed. TS 4 was originally to be an online game, and online game worlds are not touchable by the players, only walk through able with limited interaction. That concept crashed so they had to re-do things to work with the totally different concepts of Sims games shown in the first 3 versions. They would have known long before release there would be serious issues, but instead of letting it be an interim platform while a proper one was prepared by whatever means, they chose to stick with it. For a record amount of time. Very possibly because they realized that a limited platform is great for being a controlling platform, of implementing the above mentioned 'play our way or not at all'. There was far greater freedom of expression in the older versions, technological limitations notwithstanding. The veterans of those older games know this and are not happy.

I agree
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Not really sure why a thread about worlds getting smaller is the place to talk about gameplay freedom, but to that point I ask how does Sims 4 have more gameplay freedom? I also don’t really understand your point about limitations. I don’t think Sims 4 has reinvented the wheel in terms of the basic Sims gameplay loop there is just less to it now. Is that the freedom? That you have to initiate the action and then initiate the result you want?

I’ll agree the game is the most sandbox but I don’t think that’s a plus. Simulators have predefined rules. These aren’t limitations, they are just rules. In SimCity if you zone industrial next to residential your residents will get sick. Industrial produces pollution. That is a rule. Nothing stops you from doing that, but the absence of that rule throws the strategic component of the game out the window. It becomes just a carefree city builder. The same logic applies to gameplay with Sims. When there are no “rules” and it’s just a carefree doll house game there is no strategic component.

I also don’t think people have extreme expectations. They aren’t expecting anything that hasn’t already been done before. Sims 4 has a hard time delivering on even that, and yes I know it was an internet multiplayer game turned single-player but that only excuses so much. There are obvious flaws with the game, but also things that didn’t have to be the way they are.
  • Options
    KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    I have mixed feelings about it. 1) I know it's better for everyone's computer if the world is smaller. But 2) I know EA only did it to save their own money. and 3) Sometimes, you just need more lots.

All in all, I don't mind because I play with Mods, CC, I have pretty much every pack, I have too many saves and those saves are large.... needless to say, my computer isn't sad the worlds are smaller, and neither am I.
  • Options
    PineappleMaplePineappleMaple Posts: 16 Member
    The maps suppose to be designed as a town, which we can see from Manage World. But it appears to be a neighborhood in live mode haha
  • Options
    SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    I don't know why people always get the impression that the sims was about total freedom and ts4 is suddently restricting players. Sure ts4 has more building limitations due to the foundation but the gameplay limitations were always there. It's a "video game" and there were always elements in every sims game that were restricted or forced you in a certain direction. The devs made it and at the end of the day it is their game and partly their vision of how certain things should work. They have that right. No game has "100% total freedom" infact ts4 has the most gameplay freedom of all the sims game.

Did you play Sims 2?

We used to be able to pick empty maps of various terrain types. We could then decide how many lots the world would have, how big those lots would be, and how close the lots would be to each other. We could use terrain tools and decorations to make the world look any way we wanted it to.

TS4 definitely does not have the most freedom of all the games. TS2 is going to win that contest every time.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I wonder how much more are computers can take of this game its already over 60 packs including kits.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    I don't like that the small worlds, the weird shaped lots. I especially don't like "locked" lots. We have three now (that I can remember off the top of my head). Lots that cannot be anything other than whatever. I saw the Copperdale Map and since I don't play teens, I figured I'd bulldoze the school and auditorium and make them something my sims would actually use. I didn't see anywhere that you couldn't do that, imagine my massive disappointment when I went into the world and saw that the very limited lot numbers was even smaller than I thought.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    The number of lots isn't such a big thing for me. I can live with 5 -10 lots just fine, because I have so many worlds already anyway. I'd like to see more things to do and explore outside of lots. I'm not a huge fan of pop ups, but Moonwood mill at least is more interesting to explore (because of the caves, lake, Greg's home and mountain top) than some other maps. Of course there could be more (I find it annoying that my sims can't walk to some places though they seem totally walkable and do some stuff, I so wish the volcano in Sulani was interactable). Also, I'd rather have something visible and interactable such as the waterfall in Sulani (which could also have more interactions) than just places to walk to.

It's so boring to just walk around neighbourhoods with nothing to do but take screenshots of beautiful settings. There needs to be stuff to interact with.
  • Options
    You just nailed one of my biggest peeves with the game! Even Selvadoria has areas that are lacking things to do. Strangerville is a disaster in this regard with Henford not far behind.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I don't know why people always get the impression that the sims was about total freedom and ts4 is suddently restricting players. Sure ts4 has more building limitations due to the foundation but the gameplay limitations were always there. It's a "video game" and there were always elements in every sims game that were restricted or forced you in a certain direction. The devs made it and at the end of the day it is their game and partly their vision of how certain things should work. They have that right. No game has "100% total freedom" infact ts4 has the most gameplay freedom of all the sims game.

Did you play Sims 2?

We used to be able to pick empty maps of various terrain types. We could then decide how many lots the world would have, how big those lots would be, and how close the lots would be to each other. We could use terrain tools and decorations to make the world look any way we wanted it to.

TS4 definitely does not have the most freedom of all the games. TS2 is going to win that contest every time.
    I completely agree Sims 2 offered so much freedom with its world creator system. My main Sim 2 world had at least 90 lots and my city world had to have double that with its layout never an issue because like Sims 4 you load into 1 household at a time not the entire world like Sims 3. I really don't buy into the worlds having to be small are people having serious issues with Get Together world I doubt it because like every other world you load one lot and its surrounding neighborhood not the entire world be it 4 lot or 50 lot world you will always only load 1 of them.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2022
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I completely agree Sims 2 offered so much freedom with its world creator system. My main Sim 2 world had at least 90 lots and my city world had to have double that with its layout never an issue because like Sims 4 you load into 1 household at a time not the entire world like Sims 3. I really don't buy into the worlds having to be small are people having serious issues with Get Together world I doubt it because like every other world you load one lot and its surrounding neighborhood not the entire world be it 4 lot or 50 lot world you will always only load 1 of them.

I don't buy that excuse either. I have a theory that the reason is the map creator and dev team had a vision of what they think the world should look like and doesn't want that vision to be messed up by simmers changing it how they want.

A Guru stated that exact thing back in 2016 regarding San Myshuno and apartments
    If we had allowed the creation of apartment buildings from Build/Buy, we would not have been able to achieve the look we were going for.

https://simsvip.com/2016/09/21/sims-4-city-living-simgurueugi-explains-apartment-limitations/
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

I don't buy that excuse either. I have a theory that the reason is the map creator and dev team had a vision of what they think the world should look like and doesn't want that vision to be messed up by simmers changing it how they want.

A Guru stated that exact thing back in 2016 regarding San Myshuno and apartments
    If we had allowed the creation of apartment buildings from Build/Buy, we would not have been able to achieve the look we were going for.

https://simsvip.com/2016/09/21/sims-4-city-living-simgurueugi-explains-apartment-limitations/

And that's exactly the problem with TS4: It's all about what the devs want, what the devs like, how the devs like to play, the stories the devs want to tell. As I've stated before, this is a game in a franchise of open-ended sandbox titles made by a team of people who want to work on linear games. In the past, gaiden games like Castaway and Bustin' Out acted as an outlet for those sorts of impulses for the developers, so they could leave the main games open-ended and freeform. Because they have not made such gaiden games this Sims generation, all of the ideas and impulses that should have been channeled into those have been leaking into the main game, with the aspirations, lack of werewolf activities in the club activity list to railroad players toward the NPC factions, and female werewolf body issue in the Werewolves pack being a prime example.

Gaiden games like Bustin' Out, Castaway, Medieval, The Urbz, and the older console ports are where the devs' stories belong. As for the main games, that's our territory!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options

Glad you were able retrieve those old posts for it was all about what they wanted and not what the customer wanted. All some of those features was once included in older versions and now excluded so EA/Maxis can profit off their designs in EPs and GPs, they only gave one free neighborhood in 2015 and none after that.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    edited August 2022
    The world of Copperdale is nice, but there are not enough lots. On top of that, many lots are very small, like 20x15. So I can’t move my families in without evicting the premades, and I can’t build decent homes for them because the empty lots are too small.

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

I wish they had not achieved that look because I truly hate that world it's so ugly never has a city had so little to do. I'm truly not a fan of their vision it's nothing but limitations and no choice or control to the player.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    This thread is funny because it starts with people being dead certain the lake would be unswimmable and the pier unusable and then no one changing their opinion at all when their predictions turned out to be false.
    OK now go visit your neighbour's house in Sims 2.
    Sims 3 wins 'freedom', blatantly. But it loads too slowly for me to actually get around to playing it.

I don't care about the sizes of worlds in DLC because I pretty much don't buy any and I let my sims visit all of the worlds I do have.
  • Options

Did you play Sims 2?

Sims 2 had some freedom but not in the way I had experienced in Sims 3, for me at least Sims 3 evolved as it should have in creating worlds but as far as the sims themselves goes, they lost some of their quirkiness and connections, but the tools provided made up for that. The evolution from Sims 3 to Sims 4 was a mess for me and was not proper as there was barely anything that showed me Sims4 was related to Sims 3 as there was no mixture of old and new features and the new features for me restricted my creativity and in some aspect still to this date. EA/Maxis instead of tweaking or harnessing what they had in Sims 3 and could have improved the transition from 3 to 4 tossed just about everything and instead took some steps backwards. I could not expect Sims 2 to do what Sims 3 could do because it was the older version But I can expect Sims 4 to do what 3 could do and more and all I got was less. I loved Sims 2 and I feel EA/Maxis did that right in some aspect.