Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are the majority of the NPCs names of Japanese or Indian origin?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    @sam123 can you give me some examples of names that are "not so specific to a particular culture"? I can't think of a single name that would be considered "normal" in most cultures.

@Gamer_34567544 there is no "ethnic culture" in the sims coding. as far as the game is concerned sims do not have race and racial attributes have wide varieties so programing them in would be somewhat impossible unless you based it solely on skin color and would have to come up with a pool of names based solely on skin color which seems like it could come off as kinda racist ...

• Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Not trying to come off as that in any way, and skin color can be deceptive. :) There is actually a number of people whose ancestors were from another area, but you wouldn't know it by their looks. Ie, a person with a first name common from one place, but with a last name from a completely different country. Reason? Ancestors had that last name.
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    I use a mod to stop this, it is very annoying
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    SimCrazy wrote: »
    I use a mod to stop this, it is very annoying

All my mods stopped working since the new update.
  • Options
    ViolettaVioletta Posts: 29 Member
    I've noticed this too. After I got City Living, most sims in my game had Indian names, and after getting Snowy Escape they're mostly Japanese. Also I've noticed with neighborhood stories, when households adopt toddlers those toddlers are ALWAYS black. I would like if there were more equal numbers of every race. I don't want to see my entire game be taken over by one or two races. Or it would be nice if most of the randomly generated Japanese sims mostly moved to/hung out in Mt Komorebi or San Myshuno where it would make more sense to see them. Usually my sim is living in Willow Creek or Newcrest (where my household is often the only one there and sometimes I don't even put anything else in the world) and there are random Japanese sims walking by, let alone the fact that my house is the ONLY thing in Newcrest, so there really shouldn't be ANY sims walking by. There is nowhere here for you to go!
  • Options
    bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 333 Member
    Violetta wrote: »
    I've noticed this too. After I got City Living, most sims in my game had Indian names, and after getting Snowy Escape they're mostly Japanese. Also I've noticed with neighborhood stories, when households adopt toddlers those toddlers are ALWAYS black. I would like if there were more equal numbers of every race. I don't want to see my entire game be taken over by one or two races. Or it would be nice if most of the randomly generated Japanese sims mostly moved to/hung out in Mt Komorebi or San Myshuno where it would make more sense to see them. Usually my sim is living in Willow Creek or Newcrest (where my household is often the only one there and sometimes I don't even put anything else in the world) and there are random Japanese sims walking by, let alone the fact that my house is the ONLY thing in Newcrest, so there really shouldn't be ANY sims walking by. There is nowhere here for you to go!

Nowhere here for you to go lol. That's funny but understandable.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,936 Member
    I believe from what I remember theres one specific cause, take it with a grain of salt.

There should be multiple entry names such as the old ones, Sulani specific Sims, ect and then there's one for City Living. For what ever bug it seems like the "old" ones are pretty much commented out causing issues where Sims will only generate from that City Living name pool.

There may be a case where Snowy Escape also plays into this issue a little, but I mostly noticed you can eliminate it for good with a mod that disables all City-Living and Snowy Escape names. Unfortunately, you can guess why that brings its own downside.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    ShiftclickShiftclick Posts: 20 Member
    I will go into manage worlds and then manage households and I can then change the NPC's with CAS. I have some that I have saved in my gallery with new looks and names that I can then just replace them with.
  • Options
    Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    I do frequent townie makeovers because of this. I do like to keep a diverse game, though. I just try to change their looks to match the racial heritage of their surname. Or I do the opposite and give them a name that fits better. But even though I do experience this, it bugs me more the way they are dressed than the last names they are generated with.
  • Options
    PineappleMaplePineappleMaple Posts: 16 Member
    These are just randomly generated so I don't care about them lmao. If you found it annoying just change them in CAS.
  • Options
    AlexaiAlexai Posts: 186 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    the game doesn't create random sims by ethnicity so it's not going to be able to name people based on a perceived ethnicity. It's just a 100% random roll of the dice looking at the whole pool of available options.

@sam123 what exactly is an "ethnically neutral name?" I assume you mean white people names. not sure white washing all the names is the same thing as being "neutral"

Not really. I mean something more basic and not so specific to a particular culture.

What is a "basic and not so specific to a particular culture" name? Almost every name is cultural.