Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Idea: Blacksmithing, Pottery, Glass-Blowing, Sewing, Basketry, Leatherworking, etc.

Comments

• Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    Another thought I just had is that there could be different types/tiers of different crafting things. Like with blacksmithing it can be split up between armor making, weapon making, ferrier (makes horseshoes, metal rings for bridles), & furnishing (which can be various things like metal furniture, traps, cages, flatware, and even hairpins -- I've seen blacksmithed hairpins made of iron before).

Leatherworking can be split as well to make upholstery, clothing, armor, saddles, etc.

Pottery can be split so there are building materials and furnishings.

Anyone have more ideas on this? I just got brain freeze.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Suceress wrote: »
    Another thought I just had is that there could be different types/tiers of different crafting things. Like with blacksmithing it can be split up between armor making, weapon making, ferrier (makes horseshoes, metal rings for bridles), & furnishing (which can be various things like metal furniture, traps, cages, flatware, and even hairpins -- I've seen blacksmithed hairpins made of iron before).

Leatherworking can be split as well to make upholstery, clothing, armor, saddles, etc.

Pottery can be split so there are building materials and furnishings.

Anyone have more ideas on this? I just got brain freeze.

You could split blacksmithing into various skills, the regular farm type blacksmith that does horses shoes, forks and axes, then maybe a higher skill one that works with steel and specializes in blades for swords or knives. And then you could have goldsmiths and silversmiths specializing in jewellery, coins and medals.
    For leather you could have the leather tanning or preparation skill and then maybe a sewing skill to make clothes, shoes, belts and bags from leather.
    For pottery I think it would be fun to have the pottery skill and then a separate painting skill to decorate the pots. Also would be nice to have plates that we could hang on the wall and paint them like the embroidery hoops. And the option to break them if the sim is angry.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited May 2022
    Would love a Castle/Medieval Living pack

A world isolated in the mountains. A 64x64 lot resting on a large outcrop Surrounded by a large village.

Maybe a lost underground village in the mountains, I’m trying to add orcs into the game, the same way I added high and wood Elves using Spellcasters, using spellcasters to craft orcs.

The settlement resides over a large portion of their mineral wealth, precious stones and metals.

New skills hobbies

Stone carving/sculpting
    Blacksmithing - forging armor and weapons.
    Jewelry crafting - rings, necklaces, crowns,
    Sword fighting, fight for honor, country, freedom, family and Love. Lay siege to castles, build an Defend your castle.
    winner takes all.

Base Game Update, Build/Buy: build more floor levels, for towering castles, at least two two additional floors higher than what we have, to build 7 floors high would suffice.
    Major Get Together Club update or recycle The club system + Celebrity system to create a working monarchy, feudalistic society.

Realm of Magic Update: enchanting giving objects special buffs.

I don’t really think it needs to be a world of no modern technology. I would love a world that looks old and has a lot of history, like windenburg and Henford but if the player wanted to could make it feel like present day or live in the past. My medieval castles are built with indoor plumbing but I use candles and fireplaces for light and heat. but eventually times will change and the medieval world will industrialize.

Basically what I would do is I’ll give my mages this region, in the mountains, as I gave the knights Henford to rule over and made them a farming village. The mages would rule over this mining town.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    there should be the option to pick the year or era, that could solve a lot
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I support this if we can weave baskets underwater.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    @MasonGamer I love these ideas, but I would still want a world without modern tech. However, I would also love a world where magic replaces tech. I love the idea of enchanting things. So, magical Sims could have an enchanting skill line and enchant things to be self-cleaning, unbreakable, etc. They could use magic for lights, fires, running water, and refrigerators/ovens if need be. Toilets could be cleaned via magic. I would love to have old-fashioned latrines and privies like in old castles.

I love D&D so having unseen servants cleaning would be neat.

Love the idea of having orcs and such.

@LIL_Lilly That would be great! Specific eras would work.

@superkyle221 LOL. That would be funny. As an aside, my father once participated in an underwater pumpkin carving event with his diving buddies.
  • Options
    I just saw some previews for a game called Medieval Dynasty. I'm still not sold on it, but I would love some of the ideas from it to be used in Sims4. Maybe a medieval pack or something. They have have planting and harvesting and even have wheat threshing. It's pretty cool looking.
  • Options
    So, someone made a mod for mining in Sims4. Uses the doorway that looks like the one for Forgotten Grotto.
    https://simsworkshop.net/resources/mining-mod.4507/
    It is functional-- allows Sims to get ore and crystals.
    03-20-21_12-31-09%C2%A0pm-png.15574
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    [quote="Suceress;d-998872".[/quote]

I really appreciate the time you took to write this all out, and many of these are things I've been wanting, too.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    Some more ideas I just had:
    Threshing wheat & mustard (and whatever else plants can be threshed to separate the seeds from the reeds)
    They can have a threshing stone surface and a threshing flail.

Then here can be winnowing (separating inner seeds from chaff). There can be a winnowing fork & winnowing sieve.

We an also have mills for grinding seeds, seashells, & softer rocks (like limestone) into powder.
  • Options
    LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    edited May 2022
    What if there was a silversmith and goldsmith and what not even if it was just if the "medieval town" (btw i'd still like to chose your era) sorry if this was already mentioned.
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I would love all that ideas. ;)
  • Options
    LIL_Lily, a jeweler in the game would be cool no matter the time period.

I am still holding out hope at some sort of medieval expansion. Even if they just have something like an Amish town or something where the people live in modern times but don't use modern tech it would be fun. But medieval would be my preference.

I'd love to be able to build castles with machicolations, battlements, a zwinger, etc. Being able to mine or have quarries would be a good start for being able to get materials to build castles.

For sims that don't eat meat or harm animals, they could use cactus leather.
  • Options
    Another idea I forgot to add is Scrimshaw- bone/horn carving. Bones&horn can be found while digging or foraging. Someone suggested adding hunting to the game and I think that would be interesting. But regardless of how bone/horn is obtained, it would be nice to make little carvings, instrumental horns & flutes, etc.

I would like to add more metals since I like D&D. Adamantite, Mithril, Copper, Silver, Electrum, Gold, & Platinum.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I'm backing this thread up. Sounds fun!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Thanks, @Gamer_34567544.
    I forgot that shells can be carved as well as bone/ivory/teeth/horn.
    330px-Whale_Tooth_Scrimshaw_State_Library_of_New_South_Wales_SAFE_DR_40.jpg

But actual statues, miniature boats, etc can also be carved. Stuff can be carved into handles for knives & into small tools. There are all sorts of things that can be done.
    scrimshaw-boat.jpg

I would also like some form of Metallurgy (perhaps mixed with blacksmithing) to make alloys: Adamantine (adamant, silver, and electrum), Brass (copper & zinc), Bronze (copper & tin), Electrum (can occur naturally- silver & gold), Steel (iron & copper), Glatinum (gold and platinum) & Zinc.
    Additional metals I would like to mine:
    Adamant, Mithril, Platinum, Gold, Electrum, Silver, Iron, Lead, Tin.
    Post edited by Suceress on
  • Options
    KiraGiggleZKiraGiggleZ Posts: 15 Member
    These would be amazing additions to the game.
  • Options
    I think more harvesting options would be nice as well. I need to try out the mining mod I found. I think it would go well with blacksmithing skill. Foraging for ingredients/random stuff would be fun. Maybe we could forage from piles of leaves or something.
  • Options
    I think more harvesting options would be nice as well. I need to try out the mining mod I found. I think it would go well with blacksmithing skill. Foraging for ingredients/random stuff would be fun. Maybe we could forage from piles of leaves or something.

Piles of leaves appear in game only during the fall and in real life you don't usually find anything in them except more leaves. Foraging is done by going out in nature and finding naturally occurring plants, bushes, trees you can gather ingredients from. In my city for example, it's common to find mirabelle plum trees, mulberry trees, walnut trees, sour cherry trees, that don't belong to anyone in particular and grow more or less wildly, so if you want to you can gather some fruit from them.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

Piles of leaves appear in game only during the fall and in real life you don't usually find anything in them except more leaves. Foraging is done by going out in nature and finding naturally occurring plants, bushes, trees you can gather ingredients from. In my city for example, it's common to find mirabelle plum trees, mulberry trees, walnut trees, sour cherry trees, that don't belong to anyone in particular and grow more or less wildly, so if you want to you can gather some fruit from them.

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be realistic. I was just thinking that leaves or twigs or something could be what starts the foraging by having an object to click on. I hope that make sense. I've found some nice bugs and even seeds in leaf piles before. But you're right about when they would be on the ground. Maybe there could be some object we could place that could trigger the option for foraging so the sim could search around.
  • Options

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be realistic. I was just thinking that leaves or twigs or something could be what starts the foraging by having an object to click on. I hope that make sense. I've found some nice bugs and even seeds in leaf piles before. But you're right about when they would be on the ground. Maybe there could be some object we could place that could trigger the option for foraging so the sim could search around.

We already have that in game with the plants and trees that grow wild in the neighbourhood space. We click on a berry bush and collect berries. Maybe they could add a foraging skill and sims with this skill could find a greater number or variety of plants in the neighbourhood, especially in neighbourhoods like Tartosa where there are hardly any plants.
  • Options

We already have that in game with the plants and trees that grow wild in the neighbourhood space. We click on a berry bush and collect berries. Maybe they could add a foraging skill and sims with this skill could find a greater number or variety of plants in the neighbourhood, especially in neighbourhoods like Tartosa where there are hardly any plants.

True. We can gather specific things from trees and berries. I'm thinking something more random where the Sim searches around and finds something random. Sort of like when they search on the beach for random items. I really wish we had some of the gathering stuff that is available from some of the mods for Sims2-- gathering salt, clay, etc.
  • Options
    Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,114 Member
    Stuff Packs return after Kits arrival could fit with the lack of crafting and hobbies gameplay.

Primary sewing, pottery and glassblowing SPs. Blacksmith could be added with a horses pack.
  • Options
    I could see blacksmithing being used to make horseshoes and such. That would be cool.
  • Options
    FrancesWeryFrancesWery Posts: 56 Member
    Between Nifty Knitting and Cottage Living, I'm surprised there isn't already a spinning wheel. You need to do something to the llama wool to turn it into embroidery thread, for that matter you could knit with llama yarn. (although alpaca or sheep would be nice too)