The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**Calling All Heroes! Awards Are Available for Winners**

Comments

• Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    I have a question...I'm assuming the reason we are supposed to spend only 16000 on our home is because that is the default amount a single sim starts with...but now after the latest patch it seems to have gone up by 500. Are we still supposed to limit it to a total of 16000 or can it be raised to the 16500?
  • Options
    Sherry1968Sherry1968 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi nam. To be honest, I had not even noticed it had gone up 500. :D I would change it, however we have already had several entries, and I don't think it would be fair to them to change it now. Unless they all want to go back and add stuff? :wink: Anyway, so I think we should leave it at 16,000. I did provide a couple of links on the first page to budget building. Use your imagination! I had also suggested that if worse comes to worst, you can leave out the stove. There are several quick meals sims can eat straight from the fridge. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    TamlynTamlyn Posts: 295 Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm still having uploader issues :(
    Hopefully I'll be able to work them out, as I still have a few days before the deadline...
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sherry1968 wrote:
    Hi nam. To be honest, I had not even noticed it had gone up 500. :D I would change it, however we have already had several entries, and I don't think it would be fair to them to change it now. Unless they all want to go back and add stuff? :wink: Anyway, so I think we should leave it at 16,000. I did provide a couple of links on the first page to budget building. Use your imagination! I had also suggested that if worse comes to worst, you can leave out the stove. There are several quick meals sims can eat straight from the fridge. :mrgreen:

That's fine, thanks! :) I was just wondering really. I don't think I'll have a problem...at least I hope not. lol. I have already made my sim, but I'm not done the home yet. As for Addict's budget building tutorials, I think I have watched them all about a hundred times! I have a link to them from my blog too. They have helped me so many times I don't think I can count!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Official Entry Form:

Name: nam24601

Hero's Name: Jaye Leaux

Lot name: Human Hideout

Total Cost: 12,981 (after evicting the hero)

Level: I think I'm gonna go with intermediate, thanks to Builders' 101! :)

Details/ description :

Human Hideout

nam24601-A seemingly barren land with a small but cozy home underground.
    Fully furnished and beautifully decorated, this is the perfect home for
    someone hiding from aliens while plotting to relaim their town.

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Human Hideout/Untitled-2.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Jaye Leaux

nam24601-Jaye is a brave girl who decided to return to Sunset Valley after
    she discovered it had been taken over by aliens. Determined to reclaim her
    hometown, this hopeless romantic gardener has found a hideout in which to
    lay low. She is also charismatic and has a talent for getting what she
    wants from people.
    [img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Human Hideout/Untitled-1.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Link to hero: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1706703

Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1706684

Link to story or pictures:
    th_Untitled-2.png

Additional Challenges: No, sorry.

Cover Picture: Shown under each description
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Official Entry Form

Name: Tamlyn

Hero's Name Emily Haines

Lot name: Hope

Total Cost: ~%15,700

Level: Intermediate

Details/ description: I went with the underground option like most people, and with the less obvious hero (though she is by no means a coward).

Interesting note: I accepted a bug infestation challenge without thinking about it, and all the bugs appeared underground. So I don't know if they get uploaded with it, because I couldn't get rid of them. The science lady that came along was stuck in foot stomping mode until I had Emily kick her off the land.

Link to hero and lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1706966

~ As I said, with the troubles I've been having with the launcher I didn't really want to go back and attempt a second upload with them separately. If this is acceptable, yay! If not, I guess I'll try again /sigh

Link to story or pictures: Prettier pictures story form

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=142638

The story is the same: I just uploaded it to the blog, because it munts the pictures less. But I never know if people like it, so I also uploaded with the EA story site and if you do like it, please recommend it :S
    Also note that at the end of the EA story is a map overview of the house, which I forgot to include in the lj post.

Additional Challenges: No, sorry.

Cover Picture:
    cover.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nam - I am so glad you got the lot to work! I really love how it looks like there is nothing there. It is a very good camouflage job! And you really did well with the budget. :wink:
    You named your hero "Jaye Leaux", tee hee. :mrgreen:
    And look at you, linking to your picture and everything! Rec's and downloads for you.
    I am glad I extended the deadline so we could see these additional entries. I think I'm going to go check out the new houses (well, as much as I can without WA :wink: )
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tamlyn! I'm so glad you got to enter, I had almost given up on you. Your story was really amazing, I especially liked your hero. And I can't believe her brother just gave up! (of course I guess that was the rules of the challenge, wasn't it? :wink: But it made me feel so bad for her.) It gave a nice background to the lot, too.

Your cover picture was slightly large (I usually limit to 640 pixels wide to prevent stretching the page), but it is a beautiful picture. It will probably attract some downloads. :D

Great job so far, everyone who has entered! Thank you so much for creating our heroes, it gives us a very nice selection. The judges will have a difficult time.
  • Options
    Elfen3WarriorElfen3Warrior Posts: 718 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi y'all from Texas! Popping in while on vacation. Great idea to extend deadline. Love the Hideouts y'all are coming up with! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey Elfen! Hope you are having fun in Texas. Have a happy holiday. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wow, Tamlyn! I just read your story! Awesome job; I was almost in tears! I gave you recs and downloads for sure! :)

Thanks, Sherry for your compliments! Everything I learned I learned from Builders' 101! lol. Seriously though, I am very thankful for everyone on that thread! They have helped me in so many ways!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thankyou both, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

My house may have gotten lost in the story a bit, which given the challenge is probably a bad thing... but I enjoyed writing it too much to really mind xD
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tamlyn, I think you covered the house pretty well, and the judges so far all have WA so they should be able to see it no problem. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Important Announcement!

Unfortunately, we have lost one of our judges. Magician can no longer open his game since he installed the new patch and CAW.

If you know of someone who is active in the forums and seems responsible regarding deadlines let me know. I am going now to look for someone.

Magician, we hope you get your game running again soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, I have added a tentative judge: Simtweek who is also from Builders' 101 will be judging in place of Magician. I am awaiting her confirmation that it is still good, but she has already said she should be able to do it. :mrgreen:

So, the deadline should be tonight at 11:59 pm, unless I hear that Addict is almost finished. Then we could possibly wait for her entry depending on the time range. I will pm her to see if she's gonna try. Good luck to everyone, including the judges! :thumbup:
  • Options
    addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi, Sherry.
    I'm going to work on it tonight. I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I've had a rough week. Then I locked myself out of the house this morning! lol. Oh well. Hope to have it up by the deadline.
    Addict
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I have locked myself out before. Had to crawl in through the window (we had one with a broken latch), lol.

I hope you can get it finished. If you tell me what level you are entering I will put your name in. I think it would be okay if it were a little late... in the holiday spirit. Just as soon as you can. :wink:

Good luck and hope there are no more problems!
  • Options
    addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Official Entry Form:

Name: Addict1220

Hero's Name: Eva Savoy

Lot name: Hero's Underground Compound

Total Cost: I think it was 15,998.

Level: Advanced

Details/ description : Hidden beneath an abandoned park shelter (aliens, apparently, could care less about the natural beauty of Sunset Valley), this starter home was created by Eva to house herself and any other survivors she can find. In addition to working together, it will be on their shoulders to repopulate the town, so the home features 3 private bedrooms with double beds. Two rooms also have a crib. Several provisions have been made for future generations, including a few toys in the "attic" above the shelter. Also in the attic is a "panic room" of sorts with secure brick walls and a strong metal gate. Inside Eva has included a few of the necessities as well. The main home is efficient in its use of space with a small reading area and a conversation area for planning and just relaxing. The bathroom is split in two parts to allow one sim to shower while another uses the restroom, hopefully to alleviate some traffic as the number of sims in the compound grows. Finally, an effort has been made to make the place a little rugged while achieving a little bit of home-iness as well. The home is lit by candles and other electronics (except a stove and fridge) have been avoided for "authenticity." The brick walls and cement floors provide a more natural look that is broken up by a few walls Eva painted on her own. She has also worked to include some signs of life, and home, throughout.

Link to hero: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1728242

Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1728238

Link to story or pictures: I may not be able to get these, but I'll try tomorrow.

Additional Challenges: (I tried to make the home for a group, rather than just a single sim.)

Cover Picture: The program I used to use crashes every time I open the Sims folder. I was planning to try another program, but I'm ******* lol. Again, I may try tomorrow. I took a few photos of the home, but I'm too tired to put them in a story or play much with them tonight...

Thank you so much for your patience. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Addict, I am so glad you got it finished! Hopefully you can get the pictures finished, but it's not as necessary knowing the judges have WA. Well, except I forgot to ask Simtweek...

Gave you recs for both and downloaded the hero, maybe will download the lot tomorrow when I'm fixing up the town.

The judges will have their work cut out for them.

:wink:
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited January 2010
    All my story pics have vanished from my entry :/ So not amused :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh No! :shock: I heard there was some kind of picture issue lately, but I haven't been around much. I think they should be okay to judge it on the lots, though. Hopefully it won't be an issue. :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wanted to give our entrants an update on the judging. As I suspected, Christmas and other holidays have slowed down our judges. Thank you for your patience. Results are beginning to come in, but I am waiting for all of them so that I may post them as 1 final result. I know our judges have been busy, and I want to thank them for taking the time to judge entries for this challenge. I'm sure it has been a tough decision.

Thanks again for entering and patiently waiting on our results! :mrgreen: I will post them here as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Kitkat7145Kitkat7145 Posts: 1,018 New Member
    edited January 2010
    :oops: I totally forgot to post the downloads for my rocks... hope it isn't too late. Maybe they transfer since they're extracted?

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=371322

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=369198
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey kitkat - I totally forgot about the rocks as well. Unfortunately I just got results in from the judges, so I can't add that now. I don't know if it hurt you though, you did pretty well. I will say no more, my lips are sealed!

Seriously, I will combine the scores tonight and post the results sometime tomorrow. (Barring any major catastrophes or forum problems, of course.) :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Results Are In!

I had all 3 judges look at each lot. Due to the small number of entries, we decided to place an overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and then an intermediate winner and an advanced winner. We used the following categories to aid in judging: Creativity/Originality (35 points), Unobtrusive/Unnoticable (30 points), Security (20 points), and Following Directions (15 points).

First Place: Was unanimous - WickedKnight
    Second Place: Kitkat7145
    Third Place: nam24601

Intermediate Winner: WickedKnight
    Advanced Winner: Kitkat7145

General Comments:
    Judge 1: I took security to be the presence of a burglar alarm.
    Moderator: I noticed that on Addict's build one judge said there was no furniture except bathroom and kitchen,
    while another said there were double beds in every room. I do not know if this is due to cc or the messed up exchange!
    I also don't know if it greatly affected the score, but it seemed like the judges were pretty much in agreement on the placings
    so I let it go.

Intermediate:
    Elfen3Warrior
    Judge 1: Green treehouse blends in with the surroundings. Not visable from the street. It was more visable from the air. Mailbox could have been coloured to blend in and be hidden. Hero had no job in a designated career.
    Judge 2: Treehouse is a nice concept. House could have been smaller though to allow for more furnishings inside. It would also feel more like a treehouse.
    Judge 3: Nice tree house, you camoflaged it well. Plenty of room to grow in your home. Good job.

WickedKnight
    Judge 1: Hero had no job in a designated career. Garbage can well disguised but mailbox not. It is in a tree but not re-coloured to match the bark. Creative use of large rocks to disguise the hideout. Blends in with the rock from the road and not visable from the air.
    Judge 2: The entire lot looks like part of the landscaping of the waterfall lot next door. I liked the security alarm outside. Makes the lot feel more secure. Nice amenities inside too with a computer and a treadmill.
    Judge 3: Good job at hiding the entrance. Plenty of room in your hideout. Nice use of MOO. Nice floor layout. Good job

LiLSapphire
    Judge 1: White shed, mailbox right out front, no disguise when you go through the door. Disguised from the air, can see the shed from the road. underground well laid out and functional.
    Judge 2: Landscaping of the entire lot is very lush. Blends right in with the waterfall lot. Mailbox and trashcan could have been hidden a bit better though with placement and CASting.
    Judge 3: Nice landscaping...thanks for the bike. Cute little place. Landscaping hid the entrance well. Good job.

nam24601
    Judge 1: Hero had no job in a designated career. Totally hidden from the road and the air. Underground hideout.
    Judge 2: The landscaping feels a bit swampish next to the waterfall lot, so it doesn't really blend as seamlessly. But the entrance is well hidden and the interiors are small and practical with plenty of amenities.
    Judge 3: I really like the landscaping. Great job at hiding the entrance. Your hideout is a little cramped but it has everything you need. Good job.

Tamlyn
    Judge 1: Underground, top floor disguised as a storage shed. shack colour of grass, hard to see from road, roof could have faced the other way to be hidden more, roof could have been green to hide more.
    Judge 2: Loved the story. Mailbox and trashcan is well hidden.
    Judge 3: Cute little lot. I like how you made a it look like such a little shack and you had it camoflauged nicely. Landscaping was nice. Good job.

Advanced:
    Kitkat7145
    Judge 1: Not visable from the road and somewhat disguised from the air. Mailbox not hidden or recoloured to disguise. No job in the designated careers. Fortress in a rock. New idea. Secret room and hidden door.
    Judge 2: I liked the buried look of this house. It looks very secure because of it. Nice hidden room off the basement bedroom in case your sim needs to really hide.
    Judge 3: Liked the pond. I like how you have the house looking like a bomb shelter. At night it was lit up really neat. I liked the hidden trophy room. You did a great job on your build.

Addict1220
    Judge 1: Visable from road and air although supposed to be a abandoned park it doesn't look very abandoned or run down. Creative use of chimneys. Oddly no furniture except bathroom and kitchen. Mailbox and garbage can hidden in the back by the hidden stairs to the underground hidaway. No job in a designated career.
    Judge 2: Queen of budget busting houses. 3 bedrooms with all double beds plus 2 cribs. This is like a panic shelter suited for many people and their offspring.
    Not only is there a full kitchen and 2 full baths, there's even a potty chair and toys for the kids. The panic room in the attic made from fireplace pieces is very creative.
    Judge 3: I love your sim. Your lot was nice. I see you used the same building style as you show in your tutorials. Plenty of room for a large family or to invite people to sleep over. Nice job at hiding the entrance.

EDIT: I wanted to say that I included the judges comments to show you how the winner was decided. Please take no offense at their comments, everyone's entries were amazing. Thanks again to everyone for entering, and to the judges for taking time to judge. Winners will be placed in the alien city library (if we can ever get the world exchange to work).
    Post edited by Unknown User on