Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

“Exchange Numbers” – A Fix to Excessive Calls/Texts

Acquaintances making excessive calls/texts to our active sims have been bugging a lot of players, myself included. Some would reach out non-stop even though they had only met our sims once in some unimportant or accidental circumstances. Especially with Neighborhood Stories—a system that I mostly enjoy—these strangers will text our sims with the most illogical and unrealistic inquiries.

I’d like to propose a simple solution—a meaningful Exchange Numbers interaction.

Right now, we have that interaction under Romance, which only serves for story purposes because sims automatically get one another’s numbers upon meeting. Changing that into both friendly/romance interactions that has gameplay mechanics can greatly alleviates the excessive calls/texts that we have been experiencing.

In practice, two sims who have not exchanged numbers will not be able to call/text each other (yes, our sims won’t be able to call them either). This will ensure that our sims will not receive random invites from someone whom they have only met once or met because of gameplay reasons (NPC roles).

Of course, a few of the gameplay texts from several packs (i.e., vampire welcome, inheritance scam, marketing call, et cetera) would still happen since they are not necessarily triggered by known sims and will not cause our sims to be acquainted with them. Still, calls like club invites, hang out requests, dating invites, story progression questions should only happen between sims who have one another’s numbers.

Comments

• Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I like this idea a lot, and I'm just now remembering that there at least used to be a mod that basically did this. Don't know if it's been updated at all--it was from before stories or even the eco-living style texts were a thing yet--but I for one would greatly welcome this mechanic into the main game.

As an addition, maybe there could also be a function to ask for someone else's number? That could be a way, for instance, for sims to get in contact with other sims without necessarily "meeting" them. A parent could get the numbers of their kids friends, a kid could get the number of their friend's parents, sims who were dating could give their SO the contact info of their siblings or roommates, ect ect ect. (And then our sim could invite them over or throw an event with them on the guestlist without having to awkwardly stalk them and make introductions themselves lol.)
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Oh, yeah! That’d be neat.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    I like this idea, or some other way of limiting who is allowed to call. It's really needed. My sims frequently get calls from sims I don't even remember them meeting. And they hardly ever get calls from actual friends.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Yeah, I know this mechanic exists. It’s just that it still doesn’t make sense in many cases. Why would a shop owner whom my sim have met from buying stuff be calling or texting for any matter? :D
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I'd love something like this. Ideally a sim shouldn't even appear in our relationship panel just because we talked to them for an hour or so. I'd love for my sims to be able to chat with the bartender of a venue without that bumping the relationship with this person up to the same tier of my sim's longtime friends. In an unmodded game it takes ages before relationship decay has gotten rid of the new "friend".
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I would even be okay if they exchanged numbers once they reach the friend stage of a relationship. My Sim was flirty one day and some random person shows up. Next thing ya know, the random person wants to go on a date every night. If I don't respond, guess who shows up at my front door at night!