Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

International Men's Day

International Men's Day is coming this November 19 seeing as we got a patch for International Women's Day with tattoos from female artist, I'd love to see the same respect shown to men. With patches taking months to work on now is the time to discuss what you want to see and how important inclusion is for all including men.

I'd love for them to do the same as the IWD patch bring in male tattoo artists to show their work and bring in some masculine style tattoos. I'd also like for them to bring in a barber/stylist who knows about facial hair to help design new facial hair which is extremely lacking and almost all low quality from 2014.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"

Comments

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I think it's important to celebrate men, but this holiday is controversial so EA/The Sims/Maxis will probably skip it... Generally, these International X Days are meant to elevate marginalized groups and men aren't a marginalized group. Also given the rampant sexism issues in the gaming industry, celebrating men's day might not be the best look. We do need more masculine stuff in the game, though.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    I think it's important to celebrate men, but this holiday is controversial so EA/The Sims/Maxis will probably skip it... Generally, these International X Days are meant to elevate marginalized groups and men aren't a marginalized group. Also given the rampant sexism issues in the gaming industry, celebrating men's day might not be the best look. We do need more masculine stuff in the game, though.
    Its controversial to honor men? I guess that means the day really is needed and men are a marginalized group.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Theres nothing controversial about celebrating men, itd be sexist to recognize the success of one sex and not the other.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Its controversial to honor men? I guess that means the day really is needed and men are a marginalized group.
    It's not controversial to honor men. Honoring men is great. It's just that this particular holiday for men (International Men's Day) is controversial. For example, some of its founders are suspicious (like in India, the holiday is used to fight against domestic violence laws). So EA will probably want to be careful, especially because most of these sorts of holidays are for marginalized groups, men are not marginalized, and the gaming industry is already perceived as being incredibly misogynistic.
    itd be sexist to recognize the success of one sex and not the other.
    Of course, which is why the women's holiday and women's history month exist. An analogy would be that this month is Pride and about promoting LGBTQ+ rights. In response to Pride, it would be kind of weird to ask for a month to celebrate straightness because that would attract a lot of homophobic people and straight people are generally not discriminated against even though there may be certain instances where straight people have a harder time doing something.
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited June 2022
    Haneul has a point. EA would (like any corporation) only "celebrate" anything it can do so without ruining its grip on people's image of it being on their side. This helps them garner brownie points and sales. It's not that people don't know they're being manipulated, but the surrounding variables make it a lesser evil in practice. It's probably better this way. You yourself can celebrate and focus on the men you love, as well as yourself (should you identify as such), without the need for some soulless business bandying it around as "goodwill".
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited June 2022
    itd be sexist to recognize the success of one sex and not the other.
    Of course, which is why the women's holiday and women's history month exist. An analogy would be that this month is Pride and about promoting LGBTQ+ rights. In response to Pride, it would be kind of weird to ask for a month to celebrate straightness because that would attract a lot of homophobic people and straight people are generally not discriminated against even though there may be certain instances where straight people have a harder time doing something.

This has nothing to do with international men's day.
    In my opinion, its sexist to acknowledge/praise the efforts of only one sex. Simply that. Men also face discrimination. And im not really interested in a discussion whether men merit a special day or not. Besides that, Sims 4 is lacking in some 'masculine' clothing, activities etc so it would be the perfect opportunity.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.