Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they handle Goth update poorly?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    IVXXXVI wrote: »
    With pronouns added in the game, I think they will slowly begin adding the refreshed households to get the lore ready. But I really hope they fix them if there is something wrong with them. For example, I don't prefer the new Goths that much although I have to say they improved Mortimer and Cassandra a lot. Bella is meh (her skintone doesn't exactly fit her, same for Cassandra) and Alexander.. we don't talk about that :D .

As for the lore, I don't think it has been added yet, and in fact, we might have to wait for a couple of months or even a year until it's added completely in the game.

Would be nice the merge of pronouns update and lore update
    Or also at new worlds, some sims with neutral pronouns

But at other hand, that will depend on how many time take deploy neutral pronouns to all languages. As per example to use neutral pronouns for Darling Walsh, gurus will waith until neutral pronouns update is working properly at all 18 languages
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2022
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    The Goths were handled fine, imo. I don't fully agree with all of the decisions in the new looks but they're fine. It's a "darned" if they do, darned if they don't kind of situation. They've been chronically criticized for how the premades looked for years so it makes sense that theyd make a promotional campaign for updated looks.

Not everyone is going to agree with the new looks and that's okay. Just find a copy of the old Goths and use those instead.

Why can’t the folks who disagree with the “old Goths” find a copy on the gallery of the “new Goths”? Or better still, create their own Goth make-over if they’re so sure about what they want and how they want it. CAS is right there. Don’t be afraid to use it.

I just don’t get this whole townie update ordeal. It doesn’t make sense to me.

The old Goths are perfect just the way they are. They didn’t need to transition into something they’re not. They’re the TS4 Goths. Not the TS2 Goths. They live in an Alternate Sim reality as someone else already wonderfully stated. A simulation parallel to what all the previous sim games are.
    It’s great that we’ve been getting old classics such as Bonehilda and Bag Smacking Crumplebottom later in the game. But we already had the Goths. Should’ve left their poor faces alone! Darn it! 😅

Oh well. Here’s me complaining about people complaining. I guess it’s what I do best…

This is what makes it so strange to me. I've seen the tons of players on Twitter and reddit at the time of the premade rally ALL showing off their perfect version of the premades they redesigned in CAS, then everyone else was joining in with their version. And most had cc anyway. Yet they wanted the Sims team to do it knowing that not everyone could agree on what they "should" look like anyway.
    Soooooooo.... maybe somethings are not meant for me to understand 😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I look at it this way--they had to pay someone to do this. Yet, I'm sure most of us who keep the premades at least tinker with them in some way. Thus, in my opinion, a lot of limited resources and budget went to it when it should've gone to working on something bigger--i.e. horses, open worlds, cars.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Maybe they should made a poll before they did makeover.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    So while I think there are some problems with the execution (i.e. Alexander's adult face), I don't think the decision to update the Goths was wrong. I do think they probably could have uploaded the classic family to the gallery, but I would imagine a lot of simmers have a save file laying around with them untouched that they could grab and swap out with the new version if they dislike the update. I've got a few build/testing save files with them completely untouched.

That said, I think the timeline for this rollout is frustrating. They teased this last summer, and it's the end of May now. Almost a whole year to get the new base save pulled together. And it makes sense that it couldn't go without the pronoun update, but just updating the Goths in CAS doesn't seem like it's fulfilling the goals of the update. My understanding (which could be totally wrong, but this is my interpretation of the info I've seen) was that the base game update would "fix" the lore issues that the OG base game couldn't have with family trees and relationships, as well as update with new things like seasonal clothes, possibly likes/dislikes. Dropping new faces and skintones on the Goths without having the world update around them ends up not being enough for the simmers who want lore, but too much for people who don't like superficial updates. Now if they had given us a date for the new save update, with this being a just tease, I'd be ok with it. Developers are probably shifting over to Sims 5 projects, so it makes sense that we're going to see a lot more content from art/design teams instead of gameplay, which I think is what we're seeing with lore updates and pronouns.

TBH, I also think they could probably do a better job of communicating that this won't affect existing saves. I see too many people thinking this will affect their current games and not understanding that it will only affect new saves. Starting a new save with the changes is opting in. Playing with your existing versions is opting out. It's also not like it's hard to grab a pre-update untouched save file and just keep using that as a game starter.
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Specifically the Goth family? I don’t really think so. I fully understand the desire for an official overhaul on the looks to match the sims from previous iterations.

However, I do feel that they mismanaged the Lore Update this time for making it an incremental release—with zero lore update at all. I would rather see a complete, single roll-out since it was promoted as an update to the intra- and interpersonal content of the NPCs.

If they are going for a proper lore update for these sims, I’d be on the opposite camp of the majority on this thread—the team should replace the default households and upload the original ones onto the Gallery. You can’t save inter-household data onto the Galley, and the original NPCs don’t have any, which makes them the logical choice to upload. The default ones should have the proper lores among themselves and within their towns/Worlds.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    None of it matters to me.
    I am working on a save that that edits the townies I like and replace the others with my CAS sims.
    I will be using this save that will be filled with sims and lots that I like. I doubt I will ever start a default save ever again.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    As usual with the Sims 4, it's all shallow aesthetics and nothing deeper.

To be honest, I don't really care how they look now. But, what bothers me is that they didn't update their traits, aspirations, likes & dislikes, or relationships.
    It would have been easier to just go on the Gallery and download a more interesting Goth family.

And the fact that it took them this long boggles my mind.
    Couldn't they have just had the Gamechangers do them all in their free time? I do realize some GameChangers helped, but they didn't make the final products.

This isn't even a Lore update, it's just a cosmetic Makeover.

• Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I'm not sure why the Goths needed an update.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I didn't read the entire thread. Pardon me if the following has been mentioned already:

This is a missed opportunity for marketing. There should have been a contest. The development team could pick their favorites out of all the submissions (which have to fulfill certain requirements). Then, let the community vote on their favorite.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Whoever was in charge of the makeover never looked at past games to see what the makeover should actually look like Alexander skin tone was never meant to be as dark as they went not to mention his transformation into teen is hideous obviously not play tested or researched at all.

I have seen so many Simmers do an amazing job at creating celebrities and recreating Sims I think if they were going to remake the Goth family they should have went that route because what they did is just not good, all they thought was go darker not recreate what was in other games.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Internet says this update was made to reverse the whitewashing of characters, specifically Bella Goth and the Caliente sisters. I’m not sure if that is an official Maxis statement or what, but I feel it’s a pretty obtuse claim to make.

Bella Goth’s father and brother were white. The Caliente sisters are canonically aliens. Giving them makeovers at this point is a needless time sink. It took almost a year to makeover one household. Really? Where is the updated lore? Releasing an updated Goth family without updated lore is a strange choice. Are they fixing the lore? Are they finally adding in the graveyard of dead relatives & giving them a proper family tree? Are they just reinventing them a second time? If the lore update is the latter then it’s also a needless time sink.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Reading lots of good points with more insight than I ever had though I did play since sims1.

I don't care for the new goths because I was used to the sims4 ones, but I opened a new fame recently and noticed that Bella is a Young Adult with a teen daughter. Was Bella a Child Bride? 🙃

If she had Cassandra when she was even 18 and Cassandra appears at least 15, that puts Bella solidly in her 30s. If Bella is supposed to be under 30something, that means she had to have had Cassandra at like 15
    And we know what that makes Mortie 😵

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I'm not a fan because I'm already used to the Goths' original looks on Sims 4, and my sim is already friends with one of the Goths so it would be quite weird for me to suddenly change their physical appearance.

I just wish next time, they give choices to players.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I would have preferred they put the new ones on the gallery and allowed us to choose to keep the original version if we preferred, which I did.