Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We need a world in the other hemisphere

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,849 Member
    @Stormkeep I really love this idea. It's like the sims world was made by the flat earth society. We've all kind of worked off the cannon that the sims world isn't a globe or one hemisphere of the globe, it's all part of one single flat land mass. An Aussie pack with kangaroos and cuddly koalas and 10,000 other creatures designed to eat you whole or make you die a lingering death. Think of the possibilities for amusing ways to kill off your sims?
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I would like to have a world like Australia, It would be nice to have winter in one area, and summer in another. I like how I have the same season in most of my worlds, but I would like to switch it up a bit.
    So far, not all the worlds have the same weather all the time now, but it would be a nice change.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I want a nice sprawling suburban area, like Simi Valley, California. A few streets with a ton of lots for tract housing, etc. Like, a whole street of 30W x 40D lots, sidled up against one another.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think it would be nice if we could actually escape weather by going to a different neighbourhood. So far the only thing that works is going to the snowy ski resort in summer. I tried going to Sulani once to escape rain in Glimmerbrook and rain followed me all the way to Sulani and then to Newcrest. Also, would be nice if sims didn't freeze to death in Oasis Springs during winter season, being a hot desert neighbourhood I imagine winters to be milder.

On a particularly horrible winters-day, it had been crappy weather for a week, my sim went to the magical realm with a tent. Not a spellcaster, just so very very tired of snow and rain. Had tried to go on a vacation but it had been storms and rain in Sulani as well. In the end she just rolled up to the realm like " Is it cool if I just hang out in garden for a day or two, love the motes by the way".

I find Sylvan Glades is great for that kind of get away. There's fishing and enough space for a bit of camping, and the weather is pleasant, the kind of weather that invites you to fall asleep under a tree.
  • Options
    pameler417pameler417 Posts: 51 Member
    Question, couldn't we just pretend some of the worlds were in the southern hemisphere? All of them have different weather, why would Australia for example have "opposite weather" they just have opposite seasons, the seasons in the southern hemisphere still have the same weather.... it's just different months of the year are different seasons.... long discussion so this may have been brought up.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Mining for opals in the outback during crazy heat waves (120° C) might be fun too.... Next to a town like Coober Pedy with dugout underground homes to stay cool and comfortable in the unbearable summer heat.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    An Australian pack could add some new careers and skills. Herpetologist and herpetology, also Entomologist and entomology.
  • Options
    Mining for opals in the outback during crazy heat waves (120° C) might be fun too.... Next to a town like Coober Pedy with dugout underground homes to stay cool and comfortable in the unbearable summer heat.

Is that temperature for real? I thought 50° C in the shade in Tunisia was torture. 120° C takes torture to another level.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Is that temperature for real? I thought 50° C in the shade in Tunisia was torture. 120° C takes torture to another level.

The keep warm feature on my oven doesn't get that hot. That has to be 120F, if not I will be sure to decline any invites to go mining in the Outback.

I just looked it up, 120C is roughly 250F!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited April 2022
    I'm neutral on the idea. Wouldn't say no to an Australian inspired world, but I can take or leave the idea of traveling to the opposite hemisphere.

@VeeDub
    I avoided Seasons for the longest time for exactly the same reasons as you, but caved in last fall when the build snowmen function from Snowy Escape broke for non-Seasons owners. With a combination of MCCC and this portable modded themrostat https://modthesims.info/d/650635/ecodisc-52x-mini-weather-controller-v3.html I can control the weather exactly as I want it, including giving worlds weather that is "unnatural" for them (snow in Del Sol Valley) to keep them in sync with the world they belong to on my mental map.
    Your playstyle seems to be quite similar to mine, so here's something to take into account about presents and holiday traditions: The game will decide preferences for traditions by age and traits, what can result in out of character situations. Same with presents - whether a sim loves or hates theirs seems to get determined randomly. I still find that offputting on occasion.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    :lol: There is no place on planet earth that gets to an ambient 120 C...short of standing really close to a lava flow. We all know she meant F, lets not distract from the cool part of the comment which would make for an excellent addition to the game!
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options

Yes, summers are torture in a place like Coober Pedy if you're not climatized to it... I spent a few months backpacking through Australia and New Zealand in my early 20's (30+ years ago) and tried our luck digging for opals in the area during the summer months. It was brutal, to say the least. I think the hottest temp ever recorded in that area is around the 120° C mark?

But I had the time of my life down under.

Nowadays, this old fart can't handle anything above 30° without dropping like a fly from heat exhaustion. :D
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    @AncientMuse, the hottest it's ever gotten anywhere in the Outback on record is just over 120 F (50 C). But I do get it...when it's that hot, it can FEEL like it's insanely high.
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @AncientMuse, the hottest it's ever gotten anywhere in the Outback on record is just over 120 F. But I do get it...when it's that hot, it can FEEL like it's insanely high.

Oh sorry.... I still confuse imperial and metric. I measure distances and weights in metric, temps and volumes in imperial (but sometimes in metric also). I tend to bounce back and forth between the two. Just ignore this forgetful old Gen X'er. ;)
  • Options

The keep warm feature on my oven doesn't get that hot. That has to be 120F, if not I will be sure to decline any invites to go mining in the Outback.

I watched some documentaries on Youtube, apparently you just pick opals and emeralds off the ground in Australia, if you don't mind the scorching heat too much. Water boils at 100°C, so yeah, 120°F and about 60°C might be more like it. Still very, very hot.
  • Options
    @AncientMuse, the hottest it's ever gotten anywhere in the Outback on record is just over 120 F. But I do get it...when it's that hot, it can FEEL like it's insanely high.

Oh sorry.... I still confuse imperial and metric. I measure distances and weights in metric, temps and volumes in imperial (but sometimes in metric also). I tend to bounce back and forth between the two. Just ignore this forgetful old Gen X'er. ;)

No worries! It would very easy for anybody to get mixed up having to keep two systems straight. Bound to be the occasional slip up.

• Options
    edited April 2022

I watched some documentaries on Youtube, apparently you just pick opals and emeralds off the ground in Australia, if you don't mind the scorching heat too much. Water boils at 100°C, so yeah, 120°F and about 60°C might be more like it. Still very, very hot.

For all the little wisecracks I've made, Australia would still be in my top 5 future destinations when I'm ready to leave the U.S. That's part of why I'd love to see an Australian pack because I'm genuinely intrigued by the place. And being able to just scoop up opals and such, I can think cool thoughts.

• Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    If they make Australia, I hope they set it in Queensland. We usually only have 1 week of winter, in Sims 4 that would equate to 1 day.
    We do get a lot of afternoon thunderstorms in summer though. Sitting on the verandah sipping a drink and watching the storm is a favorite pastime here. And Kangaroos would be cool in the game.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt Thanks! It sounds as if it wouldn't be quite enough to satisfy me (and I'm wary of relying on mods too much to build and maintain my imaginary universe), but I sincerely appreciate the suggestion. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I guess I don't pay attention to the weather patterns in the game because I thought the worlds had their own weather patterns. The timezones however be the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I guess I don't pay attention to the weather patterns in the game because I thought the worlds had their own weather patterns.
    They do, but it's still always winter in every world when it's winter in one. And always summer in every world when it's summer in one. Which effects weather in all the worlds.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I think it would be nice if we could actually escape weather by going to a different neighbourhood. So far the only thing that works is going to the snowy ski resort in summer. I tried going to Sulani once to escape rain in Glimmerbrook and rain followed me all the way to Sulani and then to Newcrest. Also, would be nice if sims didn't freeze to death in Oasis Springs during winter season, being a hot desert neighbourhood I imagine winters to be milder.

On a particularly horrible winters-day, it had been crappy weather for a week, my sim went to the magical realm with a tent. Not a spellcaster, just so very very tired of snow and rain. Had tried to go on a vacation but it had been storms and rain in Sulani as well. In the end she just rolled up to the realm like " Is it cool if I just hang out in garden for a day or two, love the motes by the way".

I find Sylvan Glades is great for that kind of get away. There's fishing and enough space for a bit of camping, and the weather is pleasant, the kind of weather that invites you to fall asleep under a tree.

Thank you!! Completely forgot about the Sylvan glade. My sims seldom live on that map :)
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,020 Member
    They do, but it's still always winter in every world when it's winter in one. And always summer in every world when it's summer in one. Which effects weather in all the worlds.
    @Stormkeep I found this out with my first TS4 family. I wanted to send them on vacation to get away from the snow, and decided on Granite Falls. When my sims got there, it looked like Alaska! I packed up their little sim bags and took them back home. 😒

I liked the suggestions for Sylvan Glades and the Magic Realm as getaway places! Both great ideas. Thanks @SilentKitty and @crocobaura! 😊

And I'd definitely enjoy an Australian world, especially if the seasons were reversed.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I would love an Australia inspired vacation world. I just hope they would do justice to the beautiful culture and rich geography by making it a full expansion pack with a lot of interactive adventurous gameplay. It would be nice to get some new exotic pets like kangaroos, koalas, snakes and lizards. An Australian outback inspired neighborhood would be the perfect place to discover a dinosaur egg. Also what a perfect pack to add a small appliance toaster so our Sims can have some vegemite on toast.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

I haven't tested this yet, however with the weather machine, you obviously can alter the weather to what ever you want in a world (when it is fully upgraded).
    I noticed it said change seasons. I'm curious if it's just for that world, or for all of them?

I also noticed in Henford on Bayley, the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. If the midday sun is north. So either the planet is revolving the opposite direction of Earth, or this is in the equivalent of the southern hemisphere like New Zealand.
    If sun rises in the east, but the sun is north in the day (not south), then the equivalent of the southern hemisphere on Earth.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png