Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 feels exhausting to play.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I still truly believe ts4 is the best performing sims game yet. I can actually "play" it smoothly for long hours.

You can believe whatever you want, but we are TELLING you, it doesn't run well at all for many of us.

You can even see it HERE. My Sims 3 game runs buttery smooth, whereas Sims 4 lags, especially on speed 3. The simulation lag is particularly noticeable at 12:19. I recorded that video two years ago, and the game has gotten far worse for me. It's absolutely unplayable now.

And I know a have a good gaming PC. I built it myself and I build PCs for a living so I know what I'm doing. I don't have any mods or CC currently either. I don't know why you're disregarding our legitimate complaints.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    edited March 2022
    CK213 wrote: »
    Another problem is the social bloom for selecting social interactions.
    You have to hunt for the one you are looking for. It could be buried very deep and it is exhausting to constantly dig for the social you want.

We need better groupings so it's faster and easier to find the social you want.

@CK213 There is the first group which is meant to be the interactions your sim is most interested in at that moment. After that, all the other interactions are in alphabetical order. So if the interaction you want isn't in the first group then you just have to look for the right part of the alphabet after that.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2022
    Naus wrote: »
    I still truly believe ts4 is the best performing sims game yet. I can actually "play" it smoothly for long hours.

You can believe whatever you want, but we are TELLING you, it doesn't run well at all for many of us.

You can even see it HERE. My Sims 3 game runs buttery smooth, whereas Sims 4 lags, especially on speed 3. The simulation lag is particularly noticeable at 12:19. I recorded that video two years ago, and the game has gotten far worse for me. It's absolutely unplayable now.

And I know a have a good gaming PC. I built it myself and I build PCs for a living so I know what I'm doing. I don't have any mods or CC currently either. I don't know why you're disregarding our legitimate complaints.

@Naus My impression that I have gotten is that a good gaming PC helps...but since the game is running on a Directx9 engine I don't think it can utilize the power from newer, more powerful GPU and CPU very effectively.

Is the game unplayable for you if you play a new game without mods and cc? In my experience, older saves (with loads of relationships), lots of cc and mods slows down performance.

I'm not saying the game runs well... Henford on Bagley runs really badly for me, I think that world needed more optimization, and I agree about speed 3, but I rarely use it, because it feels like the game can't keep up. But I have not seen simulation lag for a long time when I am playing the game on normal speed.

And I'm not saying that because it's running fine for me, it can't run badly for other people, computers can be very different and I don't know how much time Maxis spends on optimization. I suspect they might not have had time for that with their recent worlds which is why some people have said that they have gotten a lot of lag when they visited Tartosa.

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited March 2022
    You have to hunt for the one you are looking for. It could be buried very deep and it is exhausting to constantly dig for the social you want.

@CK213 There is the first group which is meant to be the interactions your sim is most interested in at that moment. After that, all the other interactions are in alphabetical order. So if the interaction you want isn't in the first group then you just have to look for the right part of the alphabet after that.

Which means you have to know the name of every interaction to search for it alphabetically.
    You still have to dig and you might not now what you are digging for specifically. You are just cycling though all the choices trying to find what might be appropriate for the moment. It's exhausting.

I am talking about the Friendly category specifically. You have over 60 interactions in there and you have to go down 8 layers deep to find things. I wish they would structure it by social dynamics instead of alphabetically.

I could come up with better sub-category names with more thought, but these are just off the top of my head.
    -Small talk (minor socials that all sims have, mainly for increasing the friendship level)
    -Emotional (socials that would elicit an emotional response, build sentiments, etc.)
    -Deep (Socials based off a sim's unique traits, career, and skill base. If the other sim also have these it will boost relationship score. Or lower it it they conflict in some way.)
    -Activity (Friendly socials that will initiate an activity together.)
    -Confidant (Socials for higher level relationships. Will generate a negative response if sims don't know each other well.)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Naus wrote: »

I get what you're saying and I'm glad ts3 works great for you, but the players that have major performance issues with ts4 is still only a portion of the community. And it still boils down to what they are playing on and other factors.There are many players who have no performance issues especially on vanilla.
    And I know there are many simmers I've tried to help before only to find out they were still using mods/cc that caused issue even though they claim to be mod free. I definitely feel ts4 can handle a lot more before it even gets close to being "unplayable" for many.
    It's just one of those things.
    But I'm sorry you're having these issues! I want everyone to equally be able to play this game and have fun! I hope you discover why it's behaving this way for you....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member

Which means you have to know the name of every interaction to search for it alphabetically.
    You still have to dig and you might not now what you are digging for specifically. You are just cycling though all the choices trying to find what might be appropriate for the moment. It's exhausting.

I am talking about the Friendly category specifically. You have over 60 interactions in there and you have to go down 8 layers deep to find things. I wish they would structure it by social dynamics instead of alphabetically.

I could come up with better sub-category names with more thought, but these are just off the top of my head.
    -Small talk (minor socials that all sims have, mainly for increasing the friendship level)
    -Emotional (socials that would elicit an emotional response, build sentiments, etc.)
    -Deep (Socials based off a sim's unique traits, career, and skill base. If the other sim also have these it will boost relationship score. Or lower it it they conflict in some way.)
    -Activity (Friendly socials that will initiate an activity together.)
    -Confidant (Socials for higher level relationships. Will generate a negative response if sims don't know each other well.)

Oh I see what you mean @CK213 . That would be a nice way to structure it.

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I notice actions dropping from the queue sometimes and it’s mostly bad timing - right when I queue up something while the sim is autonomously queuing up something else. It’s like they cancel each other out. It’s especially annoying when I’ve dug deep for that social that is 10 layers deep in the menu. If time is of the essence, I pause and it doesn’t happen then. The other time I notice things drop from the queue is occasionally when I have a student at Foxbury and they are taking the stairs while en route to class. That’s pretty annoying because it already takes forever for them to get there and I have to watch them like a hawk. I’m sure it happens for other reasons, too, but those are mainly when I’ve noticed the issue and can try to avoid it.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I remember a while back there was a conversation about whether Sims 4 was a life simulation or a sandbox. It was a pretty interesting conversation. I found the game is predominantly sandbox with a little bit of life simulation. Sims 2 & 3 tend to be more balanced. The problem that I have with too much sandbox is it becomes too dull. It is missing the occasional chaos that makes the game interesting. The oversimplified trait system strips Sims of individuality and makes them all the same. It is the same phenomenon no matter who you play.
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    Exhausting is actually the PERFECT word to describe it. The game is literally unplayable at this point.
  • Options
    Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,671 Member
    That's why I switched to TS3 back then, I think TS4 is like a half-finished product, or I can remove the "like"
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • Options
    akuheikomatsuakuheikomatsu Posts: 79 Member
    I played TS3 on a 2010 Dell Inspiron laptop with all packs installed, mods, and max graphics. Did it lag sometimes? Yeah, but nothing that really impacted my gameplay and the content was so engaging for me that I didn’t really care. That being said, I understand a lot of others had a really hard time running TS3.

I now have a pretty powerful gaming PC that runs most games I play very well. I play ARK, Vanguard, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Skyrim (modded) all on max graphics without any major issues.

I basically have all TS4 packs (minus JtB) and to be fair, I do have quite a bit of mods/cc. My game lags, the fast forward buttons don’t work as they should, actions get dropped from the queue all the time, Sims take forever to complete an action, etc. Open World and Create a Style were removed and TS4 should run smoother than its predecessors. But in my case, it does not.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I played TS3 on a 2010 Dell Inspiron laptop with all packs installed, mods, and max graphics. Did it lag sometimes? Yeah, but nothing that really impacted my gameplay and the content was so engaging for me that I didn’t really care. That being said, I understand a lot of others had a really hard time running TS3.

I now have a pretty powerful gaming PC that runs most games I play very well. I play ARK, Vanguard, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Skyrim (modded) all on max graphics without any major issues.

I basically have all TS4 packs (minus JtB) and to be fair, I do have quite a bit of mods/cc. My game lags, the fast forward buttons don’t work as they should, actions get dropped from the queue all the time, Sims take forever to complete an action, etc. Open World and Create a Style were removed and TS4 should run smoother than its predecessors. But in my case, it does not.

It's the mods you mentioned. I use lots of cc and mods myself so I know with and without mods is a VERY different experience. Although my game runs pretty good to have as much cc packed as I do, without all that extra it runs as smooth as butter. I did a clean out recently of years of stuff I wasn't even using and I had almost forgotten how lightening fast and smooth it is 😅😅😅
    I think it's unfair when people complain with a modded game. Not you but people in general.

Plus I can't be convinced that any mass cc downloader does not have improperly downloaded corrupt files borking the game too. Because I'm very careful and it still happens to me. I imagine most people are not using sims4 conflict detector because it's old and the creator retired a long time ago. But it's still extremely useful along with other programs in detecting duplicates/conflicts/corrupt files. I run it after every downloading session and you will be surprised what you find.😅

A lot of mods and overrides conflict with eachother despite all modders practically saying their mods never conflict with ANYTHING lol
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Oh and merged files are another story that's why I don't merge. You will very often end up with duplicate merged files conflicting because there are duplicates in other merged files or loose files.
    It's only practical to me if you are no longer downloading cc.
    High poly stuff will add lag too.