Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3 expansion packs I don't own: Which of them should I buy?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Island Living
    Do let us know what you choose to do!

I picked IL because it is such a beautiful world (GF has a rubbish world), all the beaches to do beach activities on, sailing, snorkling etc. And it has a tiny little island on its own (over towards the volcano side of the map) where you can live off the grid and pretend you are a castaway.
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited March 2022
    Get Famous
    Tough call, but I luv Get Famous' BB: midcentury, glam & closets (before DHD), Chateau Peak lot, fame perks, & new activites: video & music stations.

Sulani's pretty, but got boring quick. The mermaids don't even live under water. And random convo: Ask if mermaid?Annoying. Plus their CAS & BB only really works in tropical areas like Sulani or Selvadorada.

Cons for both: their townies will break game immersion; Sulani's clothing is very distinctive & the Famous ones interrupt everything.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    Get Famous
    It depends on how you play. Family players might prefer Sulani with beach activities and a beautiful rural environment. Great for kids all age. But I think Get Famous has more on offer if you play individual sims, there's more to careers than just Acting, and the fame system can be used for more than Actors too. It adds a new social level to the game, which I like.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Island Living
    Island Living is great for the beautiful playable world, Mermaids, Dolphin, new careers, skills, traits, CAS & build modes.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm… I own all the packs that you consider buying and there are several things in each of them that I really like.

- Is there something that you would like to play with?

- What kind of world would you like to add to your game?

Good luck and I hope you will have fun.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Island living has a beautiful world and adds some game play. There's a challenge to clean up the island (it's pretty even if you choose not to) it adds an occult of mermaids and some rabbit hole exploration. I believe it adds one life aspiration and 2 traits. The neighbors bringing food now and then adds a nice element of community. Overall it's fun and laid back. Cas and bb are what you'd expect for island living.

Get Famous has more game play added than island living but I'll say the world is a massive let down. Celebrities can get annoying because sims default to being star struck. Paparazzi also annoying. Overall though enjoyable. Cas and bb are very nice. More jobs opportunities for sure.

If I had to pick, I'd pick island life but it fits my game play much better.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited March 2022
    Get Famous
    It entirely depends on your play style and what you're looking for. But my pros and cons for each pack are...

GF pros
    - Fantastic gameplay opportunities with acting career
    - the perks/quirks of the celebrity system is fun.

GF cons
    - world is too small

IL pros:
    - Beautiful world
    - Beautiful CAS
    - Mermaids are visually well done (see con section)
    - conservation gameplay/career is nice
    - I appreciate the community focus for this pack and less "tourism hotspot" they could've easily gone with. I know people miss hotels but honestly I'm glad at least the concept isnt introduced here.

IL cons:
    - very shallow gameplay. This pack needed way more activities.
    - Mermaids as an occult are visually beautiful but gameplay wise are super boring.
    - too many themes/aspects shared very closely with Eco Living

Eco Living Pros:
    -Great world and the pollution/green system is really neat and can make some cool worlds. I do think it needs some tweaking but w/e
    -A lot of great gameplay options

Eco Living Cons:
    - NAPS. I love the concept, but the execution is pretty rough. You can turn off NPC voting but you can't opt out without cheats and every area gets assigned with a random NAP choice in the beginning. Which is a problem if you're visiting an area but don't live there and can't control/vote it out.

~~

Ultimately, it boils down to what fits your needs. I think GF is the safest for me to recommend because besides the small world I can't think of too many cons to it.

IL is second choice cause it is a beautiful world and what gameplay we do get is great and there are a lot of little touches/details in it. But tragically the pack just does not have much meat on its bones when it comes to gameplay.

Eco Living is great but it's not for everyone and the NAP system is a very mixed bag that I dont know if I can fully recommend (at least compared to the others). Do some research on this one. A lot of great stuff (especially long term) but those NAPs...
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,847 Member
    Get Famous
    The potential chaos that can be unleashed with a power couple like Vlad and Judith, VladWard, is worth the price of admission alone.
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    Island Living
    This is a tough decision. I only voted Island Living because of the world being so unique. I do prefer the gameplay a little more with Get Famous though.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    LMLS2143 wrote: »
    The potential chaos that can be unleashed with a power couple like Vlad and Judith, VladWard, is worth the price of admission alone.

@LMLS2143 @Simmingal you two should meet if you haven't yet
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,847 Member
    edited March 2022
    Get Famous
    @mightysprite I am open to chaos and anarchy! Vlad and the Queen of Mean! Burn baby burn!

I am normally unicorns, rainbows, and lollipops as far as my sims worlds go, but there is something undeniably fascinating about this dynamic. The chemistry is incendiary.
  • Options
    Boo4RooBoo4Roo Posts: 7 New Member
    I like Get Famous
  • Options
    gemmawonggemmawong Posts: 3 New Member
    Island Living
    Island Living looks worth to buy
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    not the poll but i would buy all 3 since all the packs are good
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited March 2022
    Island Living
    I like both. But Island living is one of my favorite packs.

IL has a slightly bigger world ( a few more lots)

IL is a beautiful Polynesian world

In IL you can build over the water on several lots

IL is the biggest world to swim in and it’s has some pretty lounge chairs,

IL has the active Conservationist career ( splits into Marine Biologist or Environmental Manager ) 3 part time careers (Diver, Lifeguard, or Fisherman ) and you can also do odd jobs.

IL has a few new plants

On IL you can suntan on lounge chairs ( and possibly floaters) dig for treasures (collection), collect sea shells (collection) swim, lounge on floaters in the water.

IL is a good world to vacation.

IL is a good world to play off the grid if you want to.

IL has a lot of swimming CAS

You can ride a one person sail boat that you can also fish from ( or fall asleep on ) in IL

IL has a jet ski you can ride and be adventurous on.

I Love the build stuff in IL ( you can build huts )

IL has a water fall you can shower, woohoo, and find food in.

In ILYou can become a mermaid ( or start off as one ).

By contrast, Get Famous is a smaller world, and has no swimming areas. It does have an active actor/actress career ( with a work place ). and it has a fame system where you can become famous at any career….famous writer, famous musician, famous painter, etc. fame is the best thing about this pack. It does have a music and a video station too, and drones.

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Island Living
    I voted for Island Living, because overall it's a pack I get a lot more use out of. In terms of gameplay, Get Famous definitely has 'more meat'....but you probably aren't going to want every sim you play to be famous or even to be an actor. To me, that means it has gameplay that is more situational than Island Living does. I'm always in favor of gameplay that has a broader scope than that, personally. Plus, I like the world of Island Living 10x better.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Do let us know what you choose to do!

I picked IL because it is such a beautiful world (GF has a rubbish world), all the beaches to do beach activities on, sailing, snorkling etc. And it has a tiny little island on its own (over towards the volcano side of the map) where you can live off the grid and pretend you are a castaway.

Update: I am now sure that I will buy Island Living, because it got the most votes and I've read good comments about it. I've read some comments saying Get Famous can be annoying (specifically the celebrities), so that makes me not want to buy it.

Still unsure if I will buy Isand Living now. I just bought something else (a book) so I don't want to overspend this month. So I will just buy Island Living on the next sale hahah

Thank you to everyone who responded.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    save your money and don't buy any of them
    I got Island Living ages ago on sale, but don't use it other than for bb and some of the CAs. Almost never go there unless another sim invites to some activity. Just not worth it. Same for Get Famous.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Island Living
    I highly recommend changing your opinion on Eco Lifestyle... I was also highly critical of that pack when it was first announced, but it ended up being one of my favorites!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg