Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 will have a realistic style!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited January 2022
    cyncie wrote: »
    Exactly the Sims was never realistic to begin with, while It may be a life simulator, it's also a satire on U.S. Consumer Culture first and foremost, if you thought that it was based on real life, then you don't understand the Sims at all.
    Whoops! It turns out I understand the Sims at all. Could you explain this a bit?

Well, I can’t speak for @temporalgod, but a game that includes cow plants, tragic clowns, ghosts, vampires, witches, llama obsession, an actual grim reaper, aliens, Bonehilda, Simlish, ambrosia, grilled cheese obsession, Plant Sims, resurrection by death flower, etc,etc,etc…that game was never meant to be a seriously realistic life simulation.

Couldn't have said it better myself well done, you just listed the Sims heart and soul, removing those key features for a more realistic game, would lead to a boring and soulless game and eventually the death of the franchise as a whole.
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Right. The bit that threw me was that it's 'a satire on U.S. consumer culture first and foremost'. That's the bit that threw me (especially if that means I don't understand The Sims at all). I hadn't realised it was a satire on that at all, let alone that being its core -- but then I tend to take things literally. I'd be interested to hear more about that part.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2022
    Right. The bit that threw me was that it's 'a satire on U.S. consumer culture first and foremost'. That's the bit that threw me (especially if that means I don't understand The Sims at all). I hadn't realised it was a satire on that at all, let alone that being its core -- but then I tend to take things literally. I'd be interested to hear more about that part.

I found this from wikipedia
    Wright has stated that The Sims was actually meant as a satire of U.S. consumer culture.[4] Wright took ideas from the 1977 architecture and urban design book A Pattern Language, American psychologist Abraham Maslow's 1943 paper A Theory of Human Motivation and his hierarchy of needs, and Charles Hampden-Turner's Maps of the Mind to develop a model for the game's artificial intelligence.[2]

Apparently info giving from a tv special: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Videogames_Changed_the_World
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I think everyone is seeing "realistic" and jumping immediately to "photorealistic". While stylised, the Sims 4 and 3 aren't exactly cartoony, especially when compared to other more cartoon games, such as Planet Coaster/Zoo. I doubt we would get anything close to say, the recent Resident Evil games.

Also, people tend to confuse art style with graphical quality, and tend to assume that anything that isn't photorealistic must have worse graphics, ignoring the quality of models, textures, lighting, shadows etc.