Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you buy the current TS4 version on release date?

lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
Edit: Would you still be interested in the game? Say you watch the promos and read the info on what's included. If the base game as it is now (with current and upcoming updates) came out this year. Would you still buy it? Would it still interest you? Pretend that you don't have to worry about the price.

For reference, the 2014 version had no toddlers, no pools, no ghosts, no family tree, etc. Just think of the game as it is now and if you would still buy it.

Edit: wording
Post edited by lunaoddity on

Would you buy the current TS4 version on release date? 119 votes

Yes
63%
Akl500PBluegayleFrn0731GalacticGalSikoahGraceStormkeepTheSpotted_CIsb917FigwitelanorbretonCaitxcatsimgirl1010FlashMarkerSavorySageluthienrisingbarracuda1574MindofygreydonnLustianiciamegan_maria 75 votes
No
36%
auroraael14GoldmoldarMstybl95ZhakiraPheiblumePaigeisin5sazzlysarahDarkLady2788PlumbobCrossingFelicityTo7mFinvolahalloweenchildbenson2006drakharissnoepjes1210SimplyBreatexxx78ChadSims2EnkiSchmidt 44 votes

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    No
    Not that I don't like the game as it is right now, but I have to feel very, very strongly about a franchise to even consider buying any game at release.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Yes
    I certainly would. I bought it at release the first time around and it's in a much better place now than it was then. Because they choose to go with a stylistic presentation rather than realistic it also aged very well.

I still play TS2 and TS3 as well, but TS4 is my mainstay for Simming and I just wouldn't want to not have it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,874 Member
    Yes
    In a heartbeat.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    No
    Certainly not, too many bugs, missing or broken features. Older/Veteran players are ignored in favour of trying to lure in a younger/newer crowd by appealing to what's "hip and cool" on social media at the moment, with no consideration or care for the longevity of the series.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    No
    I want to vote No, because the way they handled story progression is so off putting that I still am on version 1.81.72.1030. (I don't like the game to put words into my sims' mouths, so the option to say "no" to each prompt isn't good enough for me.)

But then again, it is a new sims game... that handles many things better than Sims 3 did (for my playstyle, that is)... Considering that I was hyped for shoes being seperate from outfits in the Sims 3 teaser, the unisex, every outfit useable for every category CAS might win me over within the first one or two weeks after release.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Depends, are they going to inform us from the beginning of the restrictions this version of the game imposes? Such as not being able to customize the worlds how we want and are stuck with a ton of fake buildings that we can't destroy and build in those areas? That we can't place down new objects or remove objects in the world unless they're on a "lot"? That babies are objects and not an actual life state?

If they were upfront about the limitations from the very beginning, then NOPE! I absolutely would not buy it again!

But since I've invested wayyyyyy too much money on everything I own to abandon it now, I just deal with it.

In the 1st couple of years of TS4, I just kept holding on to hope that surely they'd eventually give us some type of world editing tool, that when we finally got apartments we could build our own in any worlds and that we'd some day be able to actually swim in all the worlds that had water, etc.

Almost 8 years later none of my hopes, wants, and wishes have been fulfilled even with 11 Expansion Packs, 10 Game Packs, 18 Stuff Packs, and 9 Kits.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2022
    No
    I actually wish there was a way for me to like donate my game because I dont play it. I open it again every couple months just to see again, but its been like 6 months since the last time.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    No
    I put in No, the reason is due to playing Sims 2, and Sims 3 in the past.
    I bought pretty much all of Sims 2, except for two things, which was due to them being at the end. Also, right after them being merged into packs I already had.
    I waited on Sims 3, and bought it long after it stopped selling, and only chose what I wanted. My Sims 3 is incomplete, but I was able to choose what I wanted from it.
    With Sims 4, I bought it in 2018, because I didn't like it when it was released. Even with all the packs available, I still would have waited on it.
    I don't try to compare the three games together, but most of the Sims 4 things I buy is mostly if I liked the Sims 2 version. However, I do like that Sims 4 is pushing the envelope with packs that never appeared in Sims 2 or 3.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Yes
    Yes well it's worlds away from the game it was on release, if I bought it when I got it, I would definitely buy it now
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Yes
    Sure, a new edition coming out is always exciting so I'd always buy it. Just playing with the create a sim demo before the game came out had me excited to get it
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Yes
    I was so very happy when the toddlers got released, so yes. I still prefer older Sims games for more in-depth levels of gameplay and certain elements (like more occults, more underwater exploration, more certain interactions and activities, etc), but for very casual play, I still love playing Sims 4.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    edited January 2022
    No
    A long time simmer of the older franchises asked me the other day if they should get into S4 now. Told them no. Flat out. Who can really recommend this game without disclaimers? Story telling, no consequences, like huh? The Sims4 takes too many expansions to have fun, for me. And boy do I squeeze out the fun to get my monies worth. Then some people can't play *without mods...this person didn't know what mods were. It would be cruel to recommend buying this pit of game. I just couldn't. Then the bugs, they can't fix gardening, the lag on vanilla games, what I see on the bug reports, it's too much.
    If I wouldn't recommend it, that means I wouldn't buy it for myself, again.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Yes
    @Reaganbogan, You do bring up a good point. I voted "yes" in this poll, but the answer would include the disclaimer "but not without mods".

I have been playing Sims games since the original; have sunk ten thousand hours+ into the franchise as a whole, but I can say with absolute honesty that there has never been a Sims game I would play without mods (and CC for that matter). Every one of them since the original has far too many annoyances and bugs without mods for my tastes.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    No
    When TS3 came out I didn't feel like "moving on." I bought the game on November 2013 after playing TS3's BG on my brother's computer that summer and loving it. I grew up with the sims starting with TS1 so I'm lucky that I'm able to play TS2 and TS3 still.

As for TS4, I don't think I would have gotten the game now. With the 2014 version I felt disappointed within the hour. If it were now, I love the toddlers and I have loved playing with my sims over the years, working around the flaws and glaring at the screen. At the same time, I have relied on mods to make the game manageable. E.g: Stopping relationship culling.

I guess it’s hard to speak about the game without mentioning what we currently know. For me it remains as an incomplete puzzle receiving pieces every now and then. Right now they keep focusing on the “selves." I can only speak for my playstyle. To this date ghosts remain tied to the family tree. The only paid “update” for babies so far were the knittable onesies. Most recently, the game invites you to control your played households through your current household using texts where the sender pouts if you don't play along. Invitations to hang out with friends/relatives occur at random hours instead of being tied to the calendar, etc. If I were to read that information (along with the focus on social commentary), TS3 would have been my final sims game.
    Post edited by lunaoddity on
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2022
    No
    The game has to many bugs and suffers from serious neglect when it comes to development.

Things like abandoning whims, never expanding on or improving current systems such as sentiments, preferences and most importantly sim personalities has been a big frustration for me with the Sims 4.

In short I feel that the development focus is in the wrong place with this iteration and has it been for a long time.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2022
    No
    No, as it does not and may never have the features to expand my zest for creativity. I am used to tailor made worlds and using colors outside of the primary colors which makes my items unique in style and color which I can't have in Sims 4. Filling my game with items alone becomes dry and every neighborhood is static and that is why I would never have brought Sims 4 even up to this point. If prior versions did not have such features, I could have liked Sims 4 better.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Yes
    Knowing what I know now, I would've waited about 5 to 7 years before starting Sims 4. There's so much more now than at the beginning. I can build like crazy thanks to the Sims 4 build modes. I can give my sims whatever skills & traits I want. Also, I can make my sims look almost anyone I want.
    The main reason why I went on the jump wagon with Sims 4 right at September 3rd 2014 was because my original Sims 3 was constantly crashing & freezing up every few minutes. There was nothing I could do to salvage it. I constantly did repairs, uninstalled over 50% of my old Sims 3 packs, but it didn't work. I only played vanilla & offline.
    Since 2014 in 2018, I discovered from my daughter that the new digital Sims 3 version works great. She learned this & got her own digital Sims 3 starter pack. I had to wait a bit longer because I found out that Canada finally lifted the red tape for me to get the Sims 4 Gameplay Packs & Stuff Packs. All I was able to get was only the Expansion Packs for 4 years.
    The only reason now why I still go back to playing Sims 3 is because Sims 4 doesn't have my Fairies, Genies, Werewolves, Spiral Stairs, Heartshape Bed, Ice Fishing, Ice Lake Skating, Fall Festivals, Cars & being able to color anything (Color Wheel).
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    No
    You mean the 2014 version? Didn't it lack a lot? I've never tried it yet as I only started playing Sims 4 in March 2021.

I voted no, but now my answer is actually YES because I wanna try it. I mean if it's cheap, I will buy it just because I'm curious lol
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Yes
    Yup. I wanted a game that I can play & back in 2014 my Sims 3 was unplayable.
    I congraduate the simmers who had enough will power to actually wait until Sims 4 was about 7 years old. :)
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Yes
    Of course! I need my sims fix!
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    No
    Poor Sims4. It's been limping along for the last three years and showing its age more and more with each passing week as our Wish List is ignored. We're a family with three generations of players and I have to say we are all quite upset over the direction EA/Maxis decided to take with Sims4. Sims2 and 3 will always be our go-to iterations in the franchise. Sims4 requires far too many mods to fix glitches and bugs as well as adding what gameplay elements we feel are still missing. It is a gorgeous game, no doubt about that. But the gameplay side has been hit and miss from the very beginning. A game can be beautiful and fun to play, but Sims4 has relied on its looks from the start and players are becoming bored with just new stuff to look at. I did purchase Sims4 on release day, played it for a couple of hours then went back to Sims3 for over a year. I always enjoyed the aesthetics of Sims4, but it takes more than that to hold my attention. Which is why I love our modding community. Without those creators I know I would have thrown in the towel years ago.
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 847 Member
    No
    Nope, never. I only bought the Sims 4 base game in 2019, for $5. I've slowly been adding expansions since then (on sale), but I'd never buy a Sims game on release day because they're way too expensive. Or perhaps I should say overpriced. You know that you're going to get bugs aplenty and you're going to be disappointed by what's missing.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Yes
    Toddlers were my breaking point. I didn't even consider buying sims 4 without toddlers. I had sims 1, 2 and 3 to go to. Less than a week after learning about the toddler I had purchased the base game and two DLC in one go.
    The current version is way better than the first release because of all the updates. I can't imagine playing without toddlers, pools, ghosts, family trees,... And those are only the missing features I never experienced because of my late start at sims 4.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Yes
    Yes, it definitely has enough in it now for me. When it first came out I think I may have downloaded a demo and realized there were no toddlers, no seasons, no swimming pools, hardly any objects, so I kept playing Sims 2 and forgot all about Sims 4... for many years lol.
  • Options
    No
    You mean the 2014 version? Didn't it lack a lot? I've never tried it yet as I only started playing Sims 4 in March 2021.

I voted no, but now my answer is actually YES because I wanna try it. I mean if it's cheap, I will buy it just because I'm curious lol

I mentioned the 2014 version as reference. As a few examples, it didn't have the basics such as family trees, ghosts, pools, and toddlers.

The question is if you would still be interested in buying the current version of the game on launch date. Say you watch the promos and read the info on what's included. If the game came out this year. Would you still buy it? Pretend the price isn't an issue. This would be the game version you first play with. :)

Nope, never. I only bought the Sims 4 base game in 2019, for $5. I've slowly been adding expansions since then (on sale), but I'd never buy a Sims game on release day because they're way too expensive. Or perhaps I should say overpriced. You know that you're going to get bugs aplenty and you're going to be disappointed by what's missing.

I bought mine for around $41 from a keys website back in 2014. The regular price was $59.99 and the deluxe version was $69.99. It's crazy how much the BG price decreased over the years. I think the regular price was $4.99 once. Right now it's $39.99.