Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tired of all these kit packs

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    I have a very slow playstyle, and I don’t explore everything in a pack on one sim, and I tend to play around and create various sims on various other franchises (like fanart, but in sims form, lol) or create sims that are only in one niche or experiment with certain types of families and self-challenges (like one is a mermaid and only does cooking career, but has to raise a bunch of toddlers, another is a mermaid living with a vampire, and the vampire is trying to get more powerful, etc).

Even with Sims 1-3, I still haven’t seen all of the packs either. I still haven’t explored everything to this day, even!

I tend to play sims a certain way, and I don’t always explore all of the packs at once. I don’t make jacks of all trades sims, and I can only play in short bursts.

I’m still exploring stuff to this day for all of the Sims games, including Sims 4.

I have job worries and school stuff that takes up most of my time, so I only get to play little bits in between. I also play other games like mobile otome games, other console games, and various PC games (a lot of point and click adventure games, Hidden Object games, Nancy Drew games, a few Bioware games, visual novel otome and BL games, a few indie games, etc).

I think it’s because I’m a very casual and very slow Sims player that I am not too, too bothered by the kits. I have recently bought some Sims 3 store stuff that only had B/B items, so I feel it’s like the same thing.

However, the difference is, of course, is that Sims 3 had bigger packs and had packs more often which are not interrupted by the store stuff.

So I can see both sides. Luckily, I tend to be easily entertained and I only play in between work stuff, and have other games, so I can play the waiting game. I had to wait a long time for toddlers to come to Sims 4, for sure…. (I was a family player who constantly asked on the forums and other social media places for toddlers back when toddlers didn’t exist in Sims 4.)

I would like it if Sims team did listen to the frustrations and realize that they need to put more gameplay content. Hopefully simmers will keep bombarding the team’s social media for gameplay, lol.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    What represents gameplay differs from person to person. The gameplay at the core of Sims 4 is very different from the other iterations. I like it, but don't love it like I did the other games. I think for those unhappy with the core gameplay no amount of extra dlc added to the game is going to be satisfactory. Adding more gameplay kits is something I would like to see, but isn't it just going to be more of the same? I mean, you buy the gameplay pack, play with all it's features and then get bored again? If the base core of the game isn't enough to keep a person engaged, no amount of dlc thrown in will really help. Just my opinion, not speaking for anyone else.
  • Options
    PhobostimePhobostime Posts: 38 Member
    > @logion said:
    > With CAS and Build kits I'm supposed to... build lots and create sims, but play the same packs that I have played? A lot of these packs are getting really old.
    >
    > What is the point of buying clothes and items for my sims if there is nothing new to do?

Absolutely. I want to play the game, not just look at it.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,726 Member
    edited January 2022
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    What represents gameplay differs from person to person. The gameplay at the core of Sims 4 is very different from the other iterations. I like it, but don't love it like I did the other games. I think for those unhappy with the core gameplay no amount of extra dlc added to the game is going to be satisfactory. Adding more gameplay kits is something I would like to see, but isn't it just going to be more of the same? I mean, you buy the gameplay pack, play with all it's features and then get bored again? If the base core of the game isn't enough to keep a person engaged, no amount of dlc thrown in will really help. Just my opinion, not speaking for anyone else.

Packs are adding variety and changes and keeps it interesting. It's different to play a sim who is working as a freelancer in San Myshuno, or playing a sim that is working as a farmer in Henford on Bagley and this also makes it interesting to play content from older packs. Knitting, haunted houses, freelance programmer, things like this adds so much more to the game and keeps it interesting. I played a freelance programmer in Discover University, I had a haunted house in strangerville.

But kits are barely adding any variety or changes to live mode which doesn't make it interesting to play content from older packs. I have to go back, and try and do the variety and changes myself, and that becomes very tiring after 7 years.
  • Options
    itoldusoitolduso Posts: 60 Member
    Try going to bed earlier in the evening, and drink plenty of water. Vitamin D supplements also help with fatigue in winter.

You should really be careful about judging others. This discussion is about Sims 4 Kit packs. It's ok to disagree and still show love and respect in our words. Please stay on topic.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Maybe because they have packed their  recent schedule with kits so it feels like we are only getting one kit's release after the other. I feel like some people might become less weary and wary of kits if they also talked to us about the other kinds of content along side all this talk about kits, but they probably can't? I personally don't mind the quantity of them. I have skipped them so far but I know there are simmers out there who are going to like the content.
  • Options
    Try going to bed earlier in the evening, and drink plenty of water. Vitamin D supplements also help with fatigue in winter.

A dose of Vitamin D may help to boost one's dark and gloomy 'I-hate-the-whole-world' mood....

But nothing beats playing the Sims 4 whilst chowing down on an A&W mozza burger, onion rings, and an ice cold frothy root beer. Instant happy pill, I say. Instant.

Because I stated my dislike for kits, you decide to judge me personally? It's scary how you can create a whole imaginary scenario about a person you've never met, from a post you don't agree with.

Again, this discussion is about Sims 4 Kit packs. It's ok to disagree and still show love and respect in our words. Please stay on topic.

• Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I am also tired of having only kits for half a year. But I am not ready for Sims 5 yet. I want to have werewolves, hotels and a few other things in sims 4 before the end.
    Gordy wrote: »
    The Sims 4 needs to move away from kits and move on to something more meaningful. Like dragons.

Yes please to both of these QwQ
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,478 Member
    itolduso wrote: »
    I'm really tired of all these kits coming out. I don't like any of them. Where are the new expansion and game packs?

If the franchise is just focusing on producing kits, then they really need to move on to Sims 5.

Just saying...

Hmm…let’s think about this for a sec.

Imagine a dev at home trying to build complex gameplay elements while trying to educate and entertain their little kids and pets who can’t go to (puppy) school today or the next day or the next while trying to fix old bugs and do hours of testing to make new gameplay elements mix well together with other gameplay systems built by their colleagues who are also working from home while having to deal with their own challenges, while trying to keep their mental health in check while stuck indoors while trying to keep their customers entertained because seemingly the latter also got tired from being stuck indoors…and the list goes on an on.

CAS & BB Kits are relatively quick to produce since there’s no coding involved, so if those can keep at least some of us happy while all of us are finally, finally feeling the effects of people having to build upon a life simulator from home due to…you know…whatever we’ve all been dealing with lately - it’s been in the news don’t you know- I think we’re doing pretty ok. Expect some delay.

Expect not to get the usual selection of new exotic pastries offered every Thursday between 9am and noon. All they’ve got for now is cookies. Sometimes with a little icing on top, sometimes boring, oatmeal cookies. We don’t have to buy cookies if we don’t like cookies. We just have to wait a little longer while they’re working on new recipes for a fresh batch of exotic pastries. They just take a little longer to prepare and bake right now. You may not even like them.

I know, it’s sad, it’s been so, so tough on all of us, and no, not all kits are everyone’s cuppa tea. In fact, I’ve written entire stories about some (one) of them, but sure look….is there possibly anything else that could keep you entertained for the time being? Perhaps engaging in other threads created by people who are also tired of kits? It’s a valid complaint. It’s a valid complaint. I think there have been a good few of them before this one existed. I know right? That’s how utterly tired people are of kits.

Don’t mind me. Just saying.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member

A dose of Vitamin D may help to boost one's dark and gloomy 'I-hate-the-whole-world' mood....

But nothing beats playing the Sims 4 whilst chowing down on an A&W mozza burger, onion rings, and an ice cold frothy root beer. Instant happy pill, I say. Instant.

Provided there is an A&W near where one lives. I ate not too long ago & you're making me hungry.

To the topic: The only kits I bother with now are the ones in boxes containing lots of parts and instruction sheet, which shows how weary of the EA version I've gotten. Enough, already, give us some decent packs!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,963 Member
    Sometimes with a little icing on top, sometimes boring, oatmeal cookies

I love oatmeal cookies! 😋
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member

With or without raisins? I love them too, as long as they don't have raisins...my gramma always made them with raisins. :(

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,963 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »

With or without raisins? I love them too, as long as they don't have raisins...my gramma always made them with raisins. :(

Both!
  • Options
    Actually, I prefer oatmeal cookies to anything cookie with icing on top or cream in the middle.
    I prefer plain …robust food, you know, anything that could last forever on a ship.

Although I do love me some chocolate chip cookies too.

I’d like to see a kit that’s the equivalent of a double chocolate chip cookie.
    Or an SP the equivalent of a Boston Cream.
    Or a GP the equivalent of an Apple Crumble.
    Or an EP the equivalent of a Black Forest Gateau.

I’d have a strong, black coffee with all of these, thanks.

Now wait, who started talking about treats? This is entirely unfair. 🥺
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,726 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm really tired of all these kits coming out. I don't like any of them. Where are the new expansion and game packs?

If the franchise is just focusing on producing kits, then they really need to move on to Sims 5.

Just saying...

Imagine a dev at home trying to build complex gameplay elements while trying to educate and entertain their little kids and pets who can’t go to (puppy) school today or the next day or the next while trying to fix old bugs and do hours of testing to make new gameplay elements mix well together with other gameplay systems built by their colleagues who are also working from home while having to deal with their own challenges, while trying to keep their mental health in check while stuck indoors while trying to keep their customers entertained because seemingly the latter also got tired from being stuck indoors…and the list goes on an on.

CAS & BB Kits are relatively quick to produce since there’s no coding involved, so if those can keep at least some of us happy while all of us are finally, finally feeling the effects of people having to build upon a life simulator from home due to…you know…whatever we’ve all been dealing with lately - it’s been in the news don’t you know- I think we’re doing pretty ok. Expect some delay.

Expect not to get the usual selection of new exotic pastries offered every Thursday between 9am and noon. All they’ve got for now is cookies. Sometimes with a little icing on top, sometimes boring, oatmeal cookies. We don’t have to buy cookies if we don’t like cookies. We just have to wait a little longer while they’re working on new recipes for a fresh batch of exotic pastries. They just take a little longer to prepare and bake right now. You may not even like them.

I know, it’s sad, it’s been so, so tough on all of us, and no, not all kits are everyone’s cuppa tea. In fact, I’ve written entire stories about some (one) of them, but sure look….is there possibly anything else that could keep you entertained for the time being? Perhaps engaging in other threads created by people who are also tired of kits? It’s a valid complaint. It’s a valid complaint. I think there have been a good few of them before this one existed. I know right? That’s how utterly tired people are of kits.

That depends how much you believe in the direction that the sims is going and the content that they are producing. Or uh...the cookies from the baker? Because despite that, some of the...cookies that they have made have not been to everyone's liking. And have not been any werewolf themed cookies or other cookies that people are used to. Instead they made 11 variants of the oatmeal cookies. Some people have also said that they might have even liked them if they were made a bit more to their tasting.

And we are all adults here, they can take the critique. If it's because of the current situation that we are all facing, then I think we and Maxis are understanding that, but we can still be critical about their direction with that in mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Just saying...

I value your respectful feedback.

I tried to get on board with kits, but they offer little to no substance to gameplay for me. I would also like to add to the pastry shop comparison. Sometimes you get a little icing, sometimes boring cookies, and sometimes you get half-baked cookies with raw dough, which is then sent back to the baker for patch up.

In regard to keeping me entertained, you're reading a little too deep into my original post. I do like S4,however this game has been out for almost 8 years, and the development team appears to have lost its steam. Maybe energy and resources are being placed into S5? I'm not sure. S4 still has a lot of potential for development. Who knows what the future holds?
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,387 Member
    I'm beginning to be irritated because they completely stopped making stuff packs and replaced them with kits that are mostly just items or clothes that only limited amount of Sims would wear. They started with a gameplay kit but now they've completely ditched them as well.
    I just want the stuff packs back, they were worth the money. Paranormal stuff pack was almost as good as a game pack. What do we get get now? Few shirts with holes in them and few other extreme fashion items.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    logion wrote: »
    That depends how much you believe in the direction that the sims is going and the content that they are producing. Or uh...the cookies from the baker? Because despite that, some of the...cookies that they have made have not been to everyone's liking. And have not been any werewolf themed cookies or other cookies that people are used to. Instead they made 11 variants of the oatmeal cookies. Some people have also said that they might have even liked them if they were made a bit more to their tasting.

And we are all adults here, they can take the critique. If it's because of the current situation that we are all facing, then I think we and Maxis are understanding that, but we can still be critical about their direction with that in mind.

True, it all depends on individual taste of course. But I would never ask for werewolf themed cookies. I want a huge Lycan Pie, as big as the full moon and I sure hope they're bakin' it as we speak! :D
    And a car themed tart as well. Etcetera.

Now, if werewolf themed cookies is all we're getting when it comes to werebeast happy land, consider me unimpressed and I will join you with my dissatisfaction towards the direction they're taking. I don't want werewolf drag, I need werebeast gameplay, for sure.

Right now I find it very easy to skip the kits that don't interest me and just continue with the rest of my gaming adventures. I don't have a lot of time to play the sims or any other game, so to me all my "old" packs still feel kinda new. I have yet to see a toddler tumble down the bunny slope or knit a scarf for a Llama from the wool of a Llama.

But I can also understand why so many are getting weary of the release of yet another series of CAS kits after just getting a series of CAS kits. Most of us are always ready for something more substantial. I get it. I want it too.

Considering current circumstances I just feel that game development -especially the (re) development of a 7 year old life simulator- is even less straight forward than it ever (or never) was. I'd say it's a friggin' mess at the moment, although I would like to think they're still working hard towards fulfilling most of its potential.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I'm beginning to be irritated because they completely stopped making stuff packs and replaced them with kits that are mostly just items or clothes that only limited amount of Sims would wear. They started with a gameplay kit but now they've completely ditched them as well.
    I just want the stuff packs back, they were worth the money. Paranormal stuff pack was almost as good as a game pack. What do we get get now? Few shirts with holes in them and few other extreme fashion items.

I dislike most of the CAS-only kits for the very reason you mention, that being that only limited amount of Sims would wear them (in my game)....but for me, that's a reason to support kits. They wanted to do that stuff, there's some people that want it. Putting it in a Kit means less overall stuff in that package.
    Had they made them into Stuff Packs with what is in the kit, plus a few more things, there is a much better chance they'd have included perhaps a couple of things that I did want....and I hardly want to buy a Stuff pack when I do not like over half of what is in it.
    Even worse, had they included them in a GP it would totally suck, because I'd want whatever gameplay was added but would hate the CAS that came with it. What a waste of my money that would be.

Kits allow the total package to be smaller, making it far easier to just completely pass on the purchase. So, in my mind, Kits are a better route, especially when you do NOT like the contents of the kit.

TS4 is the first game in the franchise where I don't despise over half of the Maxis-made CAS content in my game. I personally appreciate them taking an approach where I don't get saddled with crap in CAS which I don't want simply because I did want 'something else' from the package.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,423 Member

I dislike most of the CAS-only kits for the very reason you mention, that being that only limited amount of Sims would wear them (in my game)....but for me, that's a reason to support kits. They wanted to do that stuff, there's some people that want it. Putting it in a Kit means less overall stuff in that package.
    Had they made them into Stuff Packs with what is in the kit, plus a few more things, there is a much better chance they'd have included perhaps a couple of things that I did want....and I hardly want to buy a Stuff pack when I do not like over half of what is in it.
    Even worse, had they included them in a GP it would totally suck, because I'd want whatever gameplay was added but would hate the CAS that came with it. What a waste of my money that would be.

Kits allow the total package to be smaller, making it far easier to just completely pass on the purchase. So, in my mind, Kits are a better route, especially when you do NOT like the contents of the kit.

TS4 is the first game in the franchise where I don't despise over half of the Maxis-made CAS content in my game. I personally appreciate them taking an approach where I don't get saddled with crap in CAS which I don't want simply because I did want 'something else' from the package.

Ok, so we ignore the kits. What else is there for the great majority that doesn't want the vey niche kits? Most people would gladly ignore and not complain about them if there was something else for them as well. I don't mind them releasing kits, but they totally skipped the winter EP.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

Ok, so we ignore the kits. What else is there for the great majority that doesn't want the vey niche kits? Most people would gladly ignore and not complain about them if there was something else for them as well. I don't mind them releasing kits, but they totally skipped the winter EP.

I'm okay with sometimes not having anything at all offered "for me"; I much prefer nothing over being offered something where I only want some of it, but have to pay for all of it.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,423 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I'm okay with sometimes not having anything at all offered "for me"; I much prefer nothing over being offered something where I only want some of it, but have to pay for all of it.

Ummm, not sure how that works, unless you pay per item. There's always something you may not actively want, even in kits.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,387 Member

I actually do like kits, even if it doesn't sound like it. I don't have any other problems with kits than the fact that they replaced stuff packs. When kits were first released I think some guru even mentioned that kits won't replace any other packs, they were supposed to be just something extra. It looks very clear now that this was not true, it's been a year since we last time had a stuff pack.
    Kits are great for the reasons you mentioned and I've even bought most of them, I'm just missing stuff packs because they always added more gameplay options.
    Maybe I'm just being greedy and I want more... even if I don't need anything. I already have everything I need in Sims 4, but as long as they add more content I'm always interested.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I actually do like kits, even if it doesn't sound like it. I don't have any other problems with kits than the fact that they replaced stuff packs. When kits were first released I think some guru even mentioned that kits won't replace any other packs, they were supposed to be just something extra. It looks very clear now that this was not true, it's been a year since we last time had a stuff pack.
    Kits are great for the reasons you mentioned and I've even bought most of them, I'm just missing stuff packs because they always added more gameplay options.

I completely respect your opinion, I just don't think it's as "clear" as so many people seem to think. There's literally no actual evidence that the abundance of kits and the absence of other types of packs are linked. What has people so sure that they are is simply that two things happened at the same time: 1. We got a lot of kits in the past 6 months and 2. We didn't get EPs/SPs/GPs.

Two things occurring at the same period of time just provides no actual causality link between them, regardless of how we may feel about it. The difference between causation and correlation tends to be completely overlooked by many people.

I do agree with you about "wanting more"....I do too. So if you're being greedy, so am I. :)
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,190 Member

Very well said @CAPTAIN_NXR7 . I think a lot of people forget that this is even going on still. My outings are extremely rare and I swear if I didn't have my Sims and sometimes this forum (and of course phone calls from family) my mental health would be taking a huge down spiral. Thankfully the weather is breaking so i may have my outdoor walks back.

Happy Simming
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg