Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else not like the way food in TS4 looks like?

dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
edited January 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The food just looks so unappealing and most of the times I cannot tell what it‘s supposed to be. I just came across this post on Reddit and boy, how great would it be if the food looked like in Animal Crossing?

9d0h1xqqra981.jpg?width=2880&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=606aebf3e5bf8fdf9dc51aa4edf196af40fbc712

1s2xwutqra981.jpg?width=2880&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=adc71ca546dd902d252e6c011bb99a08ebe27d4e

vdzwa1xqra981.jpg?width=2880&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=b712c039fb65c2d0f23732274726d5a850286b39

Link to Reddit thread:

https://reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/rucip0/i_think_i_would_enjoy_cooking_in_the_sims_4_a_lot/

Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Yeah, the food does look a little gross sometimes. Problem is, if it looked like these foods do in animal crossing I think I'd spend more time being hungry then playing the sims! That pie reminds me that I need to go get some lunch, and that pizza's making me rethink my whole existence. mmm olives.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2022
    They use very low textures for most of the food in the sims4. I think it looks okay for some food but sometimes it doesn't look great. I remember when looked at the Cottage Living trailer and I could not tell what was in this bowl.

MinCzi5.png

I'm trying not to be too harsh towards Maxis but I have always felt that the food in the sims4 was never designed to look good up close. If it was supposed to then the food should have higher resolution textures.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I don't pay a lot of attention to the food, and instead of better graphics I'd want the steam from hot dishes like we had in TS2 (not sure about TS3). It felt so real when the serving was steaming hot for a short while.

Generally thee are more food variety than I could ever ask for, plenty of dishes my sims never ever cooked or tasted. It got more interesting with Farming pack, but still I prefer to focus on other matters when playing :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I agree that food doesn't look particularly appealing in TS4, but I always thought it must be my graphics settings playing on a laptop and what not. It's good to know other people find it unappealing too. I particularly hate the food bowls as I can never tell what's in them. Would also love some more variety in the plates and serving platters. I like how in the Animal Crossing bread is presented in a basket and pizza on a wooden board. Would be lovely if we had something similar in TS4, maybe not for every dish, but for a range of dishes, it would be lovely. Like the cupcakes from the cupcake machine could come placed in a paper box instead of the porcelain platter.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I love food...foody sims and cooking are two things I tend to do often in my games and yah, I WISH the food looked like the images that you shared from Animal Crossing. That'd be amazing!

I actually use mods that replace almost all of the food textures, but I'd be happier if the game itself did that instead of needing to rely on a modder for it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    tbh i don't really care my sims eat it not me

but also the tea being in coffee mug instead of tea mug annoys me deeply :sweat_smile: hard to get in tea party mood using coffee maker looking machine and drinking from coffee mugs
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Though overall I like the way the food looks I don't like how low poly textures are indeed. So instead of default replacement food mods that change dishes to something very different I use mod with just AI upscaled textures. To me it makes the difference.
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I like the way the food looks. It makes me hungry.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Doesn’t bother me. My sims cook and eat what they want, and I rarely pay attention to it.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The only one that bothered me was the avocado maki rolls...they definitely looked kind of gross. Otherwise, I'm happy enough with the food. I don't zoom in that close, for the most part.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I honestly don't care that much about the food. It doesn't do much for my gameplay so I'm not bothered by how it looks. I just want my Sims to get their meals over with so they can go do more fun things, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    It doesn't matter to me, my sims are the ones that have to eat it, not I lol
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I don’t like games with too much emphasis on food because it can trigger unhealthy hunger, so I’m happy with the way food is handled in TS4.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I think the Sims 4 food looks good :)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I know, in the grand scheme of things, food is a minor asset, but to me who loves the foodie trait, I'm supposed to have a sim who is a celebrity chef and some of the food looks unrecognizable. To the OP who posted the pictures of the food from Animal Crossing, that's just cruel! :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I was stunned how much more realistic and detailed food in Sims 3 was once I tried that after playing sims 4. Still polygonal but with more detailed graphics mapped on.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

I could never play on high graphics so I guess I never thought about the details, but the animal crossing food does look nicely detailed although I don't play that game. Can you cook and eat the food like in the Sims? Those pizza toppings are so great. I would love a food graphics update in the future. I never zoomed in on their food bowls but it would be a nice touch to make them a little more detailed I would probably zoom in more close when they eat.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    logion wrote: »
    They use very low textures for most of the food in the sims4. I think it looks okay for some food but sometimes it doesn't look great. I remember when looked at the Cottage Living trailer and I could not tell what was in this bowl.

MinCzi5.png

I'm trying not to be too harsh towards Maxis but I have always felt that the food in the sims4 was never designed to look good up close. If it was supposed to then the food should have higher resolution textures.

franks and beans
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    I guess I never thought to try zooming in close on the food... just not a big part of my gameplay. When my sims go out for experimental dining and take photos of the experimental dishes, those always turn out great...

• Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    It's better for me, if the food isn't so well designed. It reminds me on another games, which had chicken with peanut sauce included, I've got always hungry when I just saw the icon or read about it.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    logion wrote: »

MinCzi5.png

franks and beans

That's supposed to be pumpkin.
  • Options
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I know, in the grand scheme of things, food is a minor asset, but to me who loves the foodie trait, I'm supposed to have a sim who is a celebrity chef and some of the food looks unrecognizable. To the OP who posted the pictures of the food from Animal Crossing, that's just cruel! :D
    Same. My favorite activities in TS4 are gardening, cooking and throwing dinner parties so to me food is a big part of the game. It‘s a shame that the food isn‘t pretty.
  • Options
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I could never play on high graphics so I guess I never thought about the details, but the animal crossing food does look nicely detailed although I don't play that game. Can you cook and eat the food like in the Sims? Those pizza toppings are so great. I would love a food graphics update in the future. I never zoomed in on their food bowls but it would be a nice touch to make them a little more detailed I would probably zoom in more close when they eat.
    You can cook and eat it. The animations aren‘t as detailed as in TS4 though. Go to 2:45

https://youtu.be/8Lh6GIRxDhA
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    You can cook and eat it. The animations aren‘t as detailed as in TS4 though. Go to 2:45

https://youtu.be/8Lh6GIRxDhA

Oh so cute! :smiley: We need those sugarcane and wheat crops though, to make sugar and flour.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I either forgot, or did not much notice in the first place, how good the food looks in animal crossing :o I would not hate for sims 4 to have this same quality, but it is not a priority to me now, really.