Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What career is the most rewarding for you?

I try not to make money as a gardener, writer, or painter since all of them don't require you to have a job per se. But TS4 doesn't really give us much in the way of really going to work until Go To Work came out. And that gave us only 3 jobs to go to work as. I've been the Techie, Business Man, Writer, Painter, Culinary, Doctor, Scientist, and Policeman. But the one that really does it for me is being the doctor. Nothing feels better than getting the patient the right prescription and watching them leave the HSP cured of whatever brought them there. I assume that we all have a job of some sort. Which one is your favorite? Hmmm!!!

Comments

• Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    bluedanube wrote: »
    Freelance Programmer. I can level up my programming skill and earn money through gigs concurrently. Then take on gigs which requires a higher level for a bigger pay-off - these are mostly app projects and games that see a payoff stemming around anywhere from 5,000 to 6,500 simoleons.

And the added luxury on being a freelancer means I can get off the project and resume whenever I want. In other words, I can get the project done halfway through, participate in a festival, then return to finish up the other half. Afterall, the game knows how to register where you previously left off.

Oh yeah, and a bigger scaled project allows for a more generous dateline. Talk about the work-life balance. My sim won't get drained out easily and there will be a lack of negative moodlets.

Pretty much a win for me.

I did programming as a techie, but I've tried to make my game harder by having a job that does not provide side jobs to make more simoleons just to see what that is like.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I'm usually just thinking about what "works" or makes sense for whatever sim I'm playing, so I don't really think about what I personally like or find fulfilling or whatever. Like, for instance, I recently played the flower arranger branch of the gardener for the first time, as it seemed to fit this creative green fiend sim really well, and I've been actually really loving it, mostly because it fits that sim--seeing her pick her flowers, make her little arrangements, & then decorate the house with them, give them to people or sell them just feels really sweet and appropriate for her. But I don't think I, the player, have any real attachment or investment in flower arranging lol.

I think if I had to pick a "favorite" career it might be scientist or actor, because I enjoy those particular mini-games and I like aliens & movies, or even home decorator, as I really like decorating in the sims & that's kind of the one career where you, the player, are really "doing" the job. But idk, I wouldn't say any particular career really speaks to me outside of any of that.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My most played is probably Culinary, because completing the aspiration for the Fresh Chef trait requires it, and trays of food that don't spoil are super handy for households with kids. By good luck, one of my founders had it under his belt already when I moved him over to a family aspiration, and it was very useful for feeding Toddlers right now and avoiding them going into the red. Since I play that for the reward trait, I suppose by definition I find it rewarding.

Otherwise, I like freelance careers for flexible schedule, or creative careers like Style Influencer that allows either a rabbithole work experience or a choice to work from home.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I actually enjoyed having a sim who was an artist and sold her paintings at the Flea Market, outside the art museum in San Myshuno, and other festivals. She made a lot of money and even sold a few for high prices on Plopsy. Her daughter also made a decent amount from selling her knits on Plopsy.

I prefer to have my sims make money by working for themselves in some way. Its more of a challenge and its a lot more fun, especially when they have difficulty paying the bills. I just feel it adds more realism to the game because the traditional sim careers just make sims way too rich.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    edited November 2021
    The acting career is a lot of fun, didn't think I'd end up enjoying it as much as I have, so maybe that's my favorite. I do love the doctor career too though I have fun with that one. it was really rewarding for me to finally work my way up to the top of the dr career, well my almost. It seemed to take a bit before I could fulfill the delivering a baby objective in order to progress
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited November 2021
    I use a mod by Sacrificial called Road to Fame. I sorely miss the Singer career from Showtime in Sims3. This allows me to have a singer Sim back in my game. And, when he reaches a HitBeat number of 100/100, he's invited to hold concerts. (This is done by recording and releasing music to the 'Cloud'.) Concerts require venues that can be found in the Gallery under #RTF, or I have built a few of my own. Since there is no instruction on just where the concert must be held, just during a specific time frame of 6 hours before the offer disappears, I can send my Sim anywhere I want. (This was also helpful when he was in Uni. He could perform right there.) I take advantage of him inviting seven other sims to tag along to whatever venue of choice. Or, if I want, I can send him into a rabbit hole, by sending him away to a concert. Either way he earns §10,000 per concert. Pretty sweet for doing something he loves …

With this mod, he can also record enough tracks to create an album, package it and then release it. He can write music and record it on the karaoke/microphone rig the modder created (which is also used to promote the enjoyment of the live concert. If the Sim is 'hot' enough he will be asked to a photoshoot, which again can be a rabbit hole or live, to have his picture on the cover of a magazine. This is the modeling aspect of the mod. I had a great deal of fun when my Sim managed to be eligible to take a bit part in a major movie film. Seems just goofing around with Judith Ward, in public, doing a quick Sci Fi scene was enough to give him notice. So, she's responsible. He won several Starlight Accolades for his subsequent acting roles. Not going to cry over that.

Recently, I've had to restart this game save. But along the way, others introduced me to a mod. I tried doing an Internet Search for something of this nature but came up dry. There is a mod to remove the cool down period between licensing music. Turns out the best way for a musician to earn a Starlight Accolade, is by licensing violin music, since there are no lyrics. For the first time ever, my Sim won for his music and was able to participate by taking it and thanking the audience. Prior to this, he only got nominated when he joined the Entertainment career and at some level was invited by his boss to submit some of his music for consideration. He got a nomination at that time, too, but sadly no invitation to come down to the Show to see if he won. Just a notice he had won. Kind of empty, that way. But seeing him accept the award right there in the moment was something I have craved since I first learned we were getting Get Famous. So, yeah. I will continue playing this Sim until I manage to play out his entire life. I can't even list how many saves got lost, corrupted/broken, or some other blunder caused me to restart/refresh/do over.

hYW4AXy.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited November 2021
    Detective, Online Personality or Politician. As a rotational player I enjoy watching all my sims interacting with each other at work. There are three couples in my pool of police co-workers and, yes, they will flirt in the crime lab, no sense of professionalism. (It's probably a good thing that I took autonomy off all woohoo actions.)

Same for the bloggers, they do not share a workplace, but often get work tasts that require them to interact with other bloggers.

The politicians I like for exactly the opposite reason: Watching them sabotage each other. Markus protested at the plaza? Fine, now I will protest against Markus protesting!

So for me it's less about the career itself, but in how the career adds to making my city immersive.
  • Options
    Detective, Online Personality or Politician. As a rotational player I enjoy watching all my sims interacting with each other at work. There are three couples in my pool of police co-workers and, yes, they will flirt in the crime lab, no sense of professionalism. (It's probably a good thing that I took autonomy off all woohoo actions.)

Same for the bloggers, they do not share a workplace, but often get work tasts that require them to interact with other bloggers.

The politicians I like for exactly the opposite reason: Watching them sabotage each other. Markus protested at the plaza? Fine, now I will protest against Markus protesting!

So for me it's less about the career itself, but in how the career adds to making my city immersive.

Makes me want to be a politician. Hmmm!!!
  • Options
    I use a mod by Sacrificial called Road to Fame. I sorely miss the Singer career from Showtime in Sims3. This allows me to have a singer Sim back in my game. And, when he reaches a HitBeat number of 100/100, he's invited to hold concerts. (This is done by recording and releasing music to the 'Cloud'.) Concerts require venues that can be found in the Gallery under #RTF, or I have built a few of my own. Since there is no instruction on just where the concert must be held, just during a specific time frame of 6 hours before the offer disappears, I can send my Sim anywhere I want. (This was also helpful when he was in Uni. He could perform right there.) I take advantage of him inviting seven other sims to tag along to whatever venue of choice. Or, if I want, I can send him into a rabbit hole, by sending him away to a concert. Either way he earns §10,000 per concert. Pretty sweet for doing something he loves …

With this mod, he can also record enough tracks to create an album, package it and then release it. He can write music and record it on the karaoke/microphone rig the modder created (which is also used to promote the enjoyment of the live concert. If the Sim is 'hot' enough he will be asked to a photoshoot, which again can be a rabbit hole or live, to have his picture on the cover of a magazine. This is the modeling aspect of the mod. I had a great deal of fun when my Sim managed to be eligible to take a bit part in a major movie film. Seems just goofing around with Judith Ward, in public, doing a quick Sci Fi scene was enough to give him notice. So, she's responsible. He won several Starlight Accolades for his subsequent acting roles. Not going to cry over that.

Recently, I've had to restart this game save. But along the way, others introduced me to a mod. I tried doing an Internet Search for something of this nature but came up dry. There is a mod to remove the cool down period between licensing music. Turns out the best way for a musician to earn a Starlight Accolade, is by licensing violin music, since there are no lyrics. For the first time ever, my Sim won for his music and was able to participate by taking it and thanking the audience. Prior to this, he only got nominated when he joined the Entertainment career and at some level was invited by his boss to submit some of his music for consideration. He got a nomination at that time, too, but sadly no invitation to come down to the Show to see if he won. Just a notice he had won. Kind of empty, that way. But seeing him accept the award right there in the moment was something I have craved since I first learned we were getting Get Famous. So, yeah. I will continue playing this Sim until I manage to play out his entire life. I can't even list how many saves got lost, corrupted/broken, or some other blunder caused me to restart/refresh/do over.

hYW4AXy.jpg

Whoa!!! That was awesome. I downloaded the mod "Road to Fame" but had to uninstall it because I think "Get Famous" was a requirement. I don't have that 1 yet.
  • Options
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed having a sim who was an artist and sold her paintings at the Flea Market, outside the art museum in San Myshuno, and other festivals. She made a lot of money and even sold a few for high prices on Plopsy. Her daughter also made a decent amount from selling her knits on Plopsy.

I prefer to have my sims make money by working for themselves in some way. Its more of a challenge and its a lot more fun, especially when they have difficulty paying the bills. I just feel it adds more realism to the game because the traditional sim careers just make sims way too rich.

And here I am thinking that painting, writing, gardening, and programming made my sim rich too quick. I mean my garden (I always use produce from my garden to cook) makes over 25,000 simoleons a day. Thats 175,000 simoleons a week. Now what job can produce that kind of money? None!!! Lol
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2021
    The active careers because I have to make more effort for my sims to get promotions. Some of them are super glitchy though and my sims are forever stuck. :(
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I have recently discovered the media production skill and making videos...I love it!

Probably most favorite was the scientist career. I had lots of scientists. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I have recently discovered the media production skill and making videos...I love it!

Probably most favorite was the scientist career. I had lots of scientists. :D

I'm presently doing the millionaire scenario and I'm playing the Celebrity Chef. It's a good thing too bc I'm married to Morgan Fryres and we have a baby girl. If I was playing the doctor as I normally do, I have to go to work to get promoted or make more money than I normally would in the time allotted.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve made an effort to try the widest variety of careers possible, even keeping a list of them all and writing the names from my rotational play down as I’ve assigned them, with a check mark if they’ve reached the top. The one that surprised me the most was the Detective career - it was so much more entertaining than I expected, especially the interrogations. All those different interactions were so much fun to try.

Typically, though, I have more sims in the culinary career because it’s so integral for foodie aspirations (either branch), plus I love the career rewards that give inspired moodlets. I don’t like the Discover University careers as much because those career rewards don’t have mood auras but if a sim really fits with one of those careers, it’s not the end of the world.

I haven’t done much with part time jobs, odd jobs, or freelance careers. I can’t really explain why. And with active careers, I’m more inclined to send them off alone so I don’t miss out on playing the rest of the family, unless I am really pushing for a promotion.
  • Options
    HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    I don't really have any profound feelings about any of the careers except the ones I can actively participate in (Get To Work careers, Actor/Actress). I feel like I'm contributing something with these probably because I'm actively participating in it and seeing the results.

However, since we're on the subject, I wish Maxis would add the Therapist career. I am an aspiring therapist IRL and I think it would be fun to live out my dream in this career.
  • Options
    MarkooshMarkoosh Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2021
    I never ever expected it but... it is The Scientist job.
    It is just incredibly fun, and I actively want to join my sim when its time to work.
    From inventing devices to using them on co-workers.
    I generally love all the Get-To-Work careers though, but that one is my favourite.

I just wish plants grew... they're useless after harvesting them once, because they will never grow again.
    I have to be on the lot at/before 5 AM for that to happen, which is impossible.
    Post edited by Markoosh on
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Scoundrel.
  • Options
    Uaexep wrote: »
    It is just incredibly fun, and I actively want to join my sim when its time to work.
    I generally love all the Get-To-Work careers though, but that one is my favourite.

I just wish plants grew... they're useless after harvesting them once, because they will never grow again.

I lik
    Uaexep wrote: »

I liked freezing my co-worker with the freeze gun and having the gardening skill taught me to raise my own garden.
  • Options
    I don't really have any profound feelings about any of the careers except the ones I can actively participate in (Get To Work careers, Actor/Actress). I feel like I'm contributing something with these probably because I'm actively participating in it and seeing the results.

However, since we're on the subject, I wish Maxis would add the Therapist career. I am an aspiring therapist IRL and I think it would be fun to live out my dream in this career.

The only career that I would think comes close to therapy is the doctor career.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    §cientist, my maxed out scientist is the most valuable Sim in my games, since he come with all those usable gadgets, he can disytibute over the Sims community
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    I really like the home decorator job as I really enjoy the building/designing aspect of them game.

Although it is kinda annoying when the pay packet doesnt seem to reflect the job, wether thats paying too much or too little.
    One of my sims is in the Actor career and is currently a global superstar and yet what they earn from acting jobs just doesnt reflect that. Ive gotten around it by publishing tons of screenplays and regarding it as royalties they are earning from past jobs.