Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Witchy Village

Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
I really shouldn't think about starting a new save now I am on the brink of beginning National Novel Writing Month (come on midnight!) and was supposed to be finishing an earlier part of the book this weekend, but with it being Halloween I thought about turning Henford-on-Bagley into a low tech village populated by witches. Has anyone else done that? Did it work?
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on

Comments

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    No, but what's the National Novel Writing Month about?
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited November 2021
    I love the idea! Ever since "RoM" came out, I longed for a witchy village so much! I think Henford on Bagley is perfect for that. I like the idea of witches as strange beings tho. So I populated the hidden house in the woods with a spellcaster in my game. She loves nature, and has a cauldron hidden in "the deep woods". On nights with a full moon, she goes to the bank of the river and performs different "rituals" and practice magic. The villagers in the town are afraid, and the legend tells, every so often animals disappear, and that the person responsible for the disappearances is a hooded stranger who lives in the forest, and who befriends foxes and other wild creatures. However, other people lend all sorts of beneficial and healing powers to this stranger...
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

@Oldeseadogge
    https://nanowrimo.org/
    Its flagship program is an annual, international creative writing event in which participants attempt to write a 50,000-word manuscript during the month of November
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited December 2021
    Sort of, it’s not a “witches only” community but what I wanted to do was have a heavy magical presence in each of my worlds and magic is definitely a familiar force in my universe.

Windenburg is my world, low Tech? Meh, It started out as a medieval fantasy Kingdom but I'm intrigued with the idea of more of a modern fantasy kingdom. but for now Country living came with a nice type writer that has internet access, but that’s the only technology they have, and their phones, but they rely on candle light and they do have plumbing.

I do have 3 spell caster sister who are sort of like nature fairies/Wood Elves/Nymphs. One looks after Plant Life, she can make crops thrive and wither, she helps with food production, another who makes sure land Animals are well taken care of, Humans included. and the last one looks after Aquatic Life. the three of them are basically "Mother Nature."

All my other spellcasters are astronomers, writers, musicians, painters, artsy type sims.
    I do Want to make a Tech savvy/Gamer spellcaster.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    They do 2 extra challenges as well now, customisable goals in April and July, which I have been participating in for the past couple of years (after some failed attempts in preceding years). I'm actually on a Nanowrimo streak since 2012, though I participated 3 times previously.

I absolutely want to crack on with the witchy village in December though. I might even have a bit of time later this month but the words aren't coming quite as fast as I'd like at the moment, so not quite yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Elisdream wrote: »
    I love the idea! Ever since "RoM" came out, I longed for a witchy village so much! I think Henford on Bagley is perfect for that. I like the idea of witches as strange beings tho. So I populated the hidden house in the woods with a spellcaster in my game. She loves nature, and has a cauldron hidden in "the deep woods". On nights with a full moon, she goes to the bank of the river and performs different "rituals" and practice magic. The villagers in the town are afraid, and the legend tells, every so often animals disappear, and that the person responsible for the disappearances is a hooded stranger who lives in the forest, and who befriends foxes and other wild creatures. However, other people lend all sorts of beneficial and healing powers to this stranger...

I love this! I didn't quite finish setting up my village before November began so I'll need to do that at some point. I'm still undecided as to whether to give everyone a "dark" feel or stick with my current arrangement where each household has its own colour palette.
  • Options
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Sort of, it’s not a “witches only” community but what I wanted to do was have a heavy magical presence in each of my worlds and magic is definitely a familiar force in my universe.

Windenburg is my world, low Tech? Meh, Country living came with a nice type writer that has internet access, but that’s the only technology they have, and their phones, but they rely on candle light and they do have plumbing.

I do have spellcaster in Henford who helps with food production, rehabilitates crops, and another who makes sure animals are well taken care of.

All my other spellcasters are astronomers, writers, musicians, painters, artsy type sims

Yeah I'm going to make use of the typewriter too, and most households won't even get that.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member

@Oldeseadogge
    https://nanowrimo.org/
    Its flagship program is an annual, international creative writing event in which participants attempt to write a 50,000-word manuscript during the month of November

Thank you! Have explored their site and it looks very interesting. Since the month is more than half over, looks like I may need to wait until next year. Something to keep in mind.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I love Nanowrimo, but November is too busy for me these days. I'm more likely to do the Nanocamp in April or July.
  • Options
    I try to do all of them these days but I always used to fail at Camp.

At some point I'll actually start playing the scenario I started the thread for. I've already played more than I should this month but mostly with saves I wasn't that fussed about.
  • Options
    I've been spending a bit of time working on this world, and now have it ready to start playing. I want to play them all rotationally. The only trouble is deciding which household to make the "main one." At the moment I'm most interested in the Marlowe household or the O'Connors.

595359f5f528953e84523ec5180cc0203669f113.jpg

38a623f1472aacf584323d94a634643e3833f6e8.jpg

Spenser Marlowe is an eccentric and something of a loner. His best friend is his dog, Alpha, who may have wolf blood. Spenser's greatest joy in life is the pursuit of arcane knowledge.

Non-magical tourists always think Morrigan Sharpe looks like a witch because she dresses in black and has a black cat - if only they knew that she actually is a witch! Morrigan loves cross-stitch and hopes to make money from her hobby.

The Kings are new to the village. Single mum Rosamund gave up her comfortable city life to become a gardener. She hopes the great outdoors will inspire her artistic daughter Daisy. Rosamund has also joined the local witch's coven and hopes to become great friends with her magical sisters.

The O'Connor family have owned their farm for centuries. Brendan and his wife Shannon are raising their sons whilst taking care of their farm. Hopefully they have time to learn a few spells too.

The Griffith family is another which has lived in the village for centuries. They love their animals and their country pursuits. Matriarch Seren adores her daughter and granddaughter and hopes that both of them will become powerful witches.

Scott and James are a pair of teenage lovers seeking rural idyll with their foxy familiars. The trouble is, they still have to attend school so money will be tight for a while.

Richard Beauchamp is another newcomer. A local politician, who may or may not have used his spellcraft to influence his career, he hopes to become top dog in the village
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I have always been reluctant to play stories like this as so much can happen to break the immersion, but it sounds so cool!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I have always been reluctant to play stories like this as so much can happen to break the immersion, but it sounds so cool!

Thanks. At the moment I'm playing each household for a week to give them a skill boost and so some of them can get to know one another. Then as the new sim year starts, I'll play them with aging on.

You're right about the immersion, but I'm doing my best. It's fun and I really love the world.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have given Henford-on-Bagley over to Spellcasters, although I have not necessarily made them low-tech. EVENTUALLY, one of my born-in-game 'Casters is going to move there - but he's still a child, and I am not sure his future spouse has even been born, yet - that play may have crashed without saving.

In any case, Cassandra Goth will need the back-up of her enchanted supporters & friends, as the presiding magus of the Bramblewood Sanctum (moved hundreds of years ago to a location actually in Finchwick) is not happy with her intent of uncovering the secret history of the old Kingdom of Hwicce. Having her mentor's family marry in locally can only help. :)

TfavEYI.png

j8h7AUo.png

1ChiuEP.png
  • Options
    Very cool. I love your characters and your portal.
  • Options
    I finished my weekly rotation with aging off. I think my next step should be to draw up a rotation schedule for playing with aging on. I've got some ideas for a few of the households already, so that's something.