Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Doing the millionaire scenario

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I think I need to start again, I made some very bad mistakes in my choices with this one.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I think I need to start again, I made some very bad mistakes in my choices with this one.

What did you do that was bad?
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I don't think I've seen anyone mention another way to get a few thousand plopped into your account every couple of days: get to 9 in the archaeology skill, and verify the statues sent to you. You can also sell the statues, but I haven't had any that would generate as much money as my Sim gets for verifying them. It's a nice little setup she's got, getting paid 10x the amount the object is worth to verify it as genuine :) The only downside is that occasionally, she doesn't get any money (bug, I think).

She's made a little money hacking the supercomputer and Crumplebottom server. Plumbook is also somewhat lucrative. The rest of the hacks aren't worth it. Side jobs as a programmer pay far more than programming games or mobile apps. And the salary at the top of the tech guru career is pretty decent.

In answer to @Nh6650 , I have aging off, so, a bit of a cheat.

Up to $100,000, now. I think I'm getting obsessed.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Just for the heck of it, and because I seem to be out of fresh ideas at the moment, I'm trying the millionaire scenario. I always build my own houses, so I started with a pre-made house so that when my bank account was emptied to zero, I'd have enough money to build a house after I bulldozed the existing one. (I was afraid that wouldn't work, and she wouldn't get any money from the bulldoze. You do get the $16,000 or so that the house and furnishings were worth, however.)

The first task was to get enough skill, and then upgrade all the cheap stuff in the house. I had my Sim in the Renaissance Sim aspiration, so she's had to change jobs three times, but the third put her in the tech career, so she's also playing the tech guru aspiration. Oh, and she's high maintenance, too.

This is going slowly - I'm determined to play the scenario without any easy in-game money-makers, such as painting. We've made it to $15,000 so far, from working, selling a few of the perks she's earned from promotions, and a phone app she made (for tech guru aspiration). She also does programming side-jobs, as they count as her 'homework' for her job in the tech career.

What are you all doing to make your million?

Hi! I started this scenerio and it will be a long time playing. I do use painting, woodwork, fishing, collecting, gardening, anything that will bring in money for my sim. I bought him a small house in OS before the game took the rest of the money. The first thing he caught was a cowberry...whew, groceries. :D I too am not using any money cheats, but I am slowly accumulating the things he needs. He went to the Art Center to paint and make and sell woodworks. This is very challenging for me but I'm determined to finish this, it will just take a long, long time as he only has $29,000. Yes I'm using mods, if not for the faster painting and fishing it would take even longer. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options

What did you do that was bad?

I created the sim in Story mode and tried to play him according to that rather than going with what was the most lucrative. I also forgot about making the most of his starting funds to move him into a better house. Weirdly when I restarted (this time with a couple) I also made the same mistake with the house. Going to take a break for a bit and try again another day.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    My Sims is now on level 8 of the planned second job as style influencer (thanks to the aspiration traits) and has so far over 160,000 Simoleon after finishing the wealthy rich aspiration. I thought she could move to Diego, but then a warning popped up, that the challenge will cancelled. So I had to left poor Diego alone in his apartment, while he wants to live with my Sims. He invites her to many dates and show up very often at my Sims door. I have to thank the cas-ai-overlords for this lovely lady, I just had to changed the hair cut, make up and most of the clothes.
    4eKSQpp.png

But I believe, you will agree with me, that this house doesn't really fit to a Diego Lobo at the moment.
    Of3mONx.png
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I've started it with a single YA female sim named Nikita. I'm playing with aging off, as usual. I built a house with a garage, and turned the garage into a small apartment. The rest of the house is unfurnished, and accidently has no exterior doors. I think something happened while I was playing games with the roof. This is actually a blessing in disguise, because now I don't have her wandering thru an empty, unfurnished house. I had previously set the garage side door as the front door.

I made her a kleptomaniac, it's first time I've played a sim with that trait. I had to laugh when she autonomously stole a towel dispenser from a public restroom. Talk about a weird choice! Anyway, she is moving along, gaining skills. I want her to go to University and I've set up Wyvern Hall with some skill building items. I had decided since I want her to be a spy she had to have at least level 3 or 4 for mischief, fitness, research and lecture (or whatever it's called since I may have her study Law for a while), handiness (which I equate with dexterity, very valuable in a thief) and a few others before I sent her to Uni. I'm hoping for a scholarship.

She doesn't like gardening because I don't want her to get money super fast - you can get some serious $ by growing flowers. Instead she is befriending rich people and snatching items from their houses. I'm going to get her a bit more money and then send her to Batuu so she can become a scoundrel. I want her to be able to swindle sims for cash.

I'm having fun.
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Even during normal gameplay making dough is surprisingly difficult for me. Though I will admit I definitely make things harder by self-imposed restrictions.

For this scenario I moved my sim into an unfurnished apartment in the Arts Quarter to which he earned most of his money for furnishings by selling posters around town. Now with basic furnishings I am focusing on his career to make him a famous writer, but of course a career alone is not enough. Typically if my sims need quick cash I send them to Selvadorada's temple for those rare artifacts to sell at 300% markup on their selling tables. This time I wanted to focus locally in my endeavours to get rich. Again, making it hard on myself. I'm thinking of an indoor garden to grow birds of paradise and I have one befriended dust bunny around the house who I'm hoping will drop one of those rare Selvadoradian artifacts. The game also prompted the get married for money phone call which of course I accepted. Aside from those I'm at a loss for money-making schemes.

Not interested in ruining the lives of my other played sims to get rich. But I just thought of marrying a townie and not moving them in with my sim, then adopting a lot of kids so they will be forced to pay child support through MCCC?? Man, this is tough. :lol:
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    I'm not sure why but I felt like the sim had to stay in the same house their entire life until they either obtained 1 million or died. I may have to rethink my strategy yet again.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited November 2021
    I failed my first attempt at the Making Money Scenario because I decided not to finish it. My attempt at the Finding Love scenario went off the tracks too.

Finding Love: I added a brand new couple to a Save File that I downloaded several days ago. I placed them in an apartment in San Myshuno. They started arguing with each other before they even entered the apartment. I got them inside the apartment where they continued to insult each other. One finally went to play a computer game while the other went to watch TV. I saved the game at this point and went to add my Making Money Sim to the save.

Making Money: I added a brand new Sim to the same Save file with the angry couple. I placed him on the vacant Hallow Slough in Willow Creek. No money, no shelter, and (to my horror) a blizzard going full force. My first, of many mistakes, was not checking to see which Season the Save File was in before I started actually trying to play it. Since the Finding Love couple was in a nice warm apartment I decided to focus on the Sim standing outside in a blizzard. It took him several days to level his painting skill enough to make paintings that he could sell for a decent profit.

Once the Making Money Sim had a very large roof over his very small shelter, I went back to check on the Finding Love couple. One was at home browsing the web. The other one was outside dying of cold. I had the web browser hustle outside to plead with the Grim Reaper but he wouldn't. So the dead guy stayed dead. The urn is now inside the apartment. Their relationship shows that they despise each other. So, that scenario kind of failed because I was going to try to fix their relationship.

I'm going to keep playing this save for several reasons.
    1. The Making Money Sim met the Finding Love survivor at the Romance Festival. They started flirting with each other while I was looking at the lack of plants there. Their romance is still very new.

2. Both the Making Money Sim and the Finding Love survivor have met the Grim Reaper so they'll be working on the Grilled Cheese aspiration.

3. I'm curious about the urn in the Finding Love apartment. I want to see what happens when the ghost appears.

I canceled the Making Money scenario because I don't want a Sim to be a millionaire.
    Finding Love is still on, I guess, even though one of the original participants died. I might go back and replay this save from their point just to see how it might have gone. But I sure do like the current couple.
    Post edited by Monaveil on
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    I've started it with a single YA female sim named Nikita. I'm playing with aging off, as usual. I built a house with a garage, and turned the garage into a small apartment. The rest of the house is unfurnished, and accidently has no exterior doors. I think something happened while I was playing games with the roof. This is actually a blessing in disguise, because now I don't have her wandering thru an empty, unfurnished house. I had previously set the garage side door as the front door.

I made her a kleptomaniac, it's first time I've played a sim with that trait. I had to laugh when she autonomously stole a towel dispenser from a public restroom. Talk about a weird choice! Anyway, she is moving along, gaining skills. I want her to go to University and I've set up Wyvern Hall with some skill building items. I had decided since I want her to be a spy she had to have at least level 3 or 4 for mischief, fitness, research and lecture (or whatever it's called since I may have her study Law for a while), handiness (which I equate with dexterity, very valuable in a thief) and a few others before I sent her to Uni. I'm hoping for a scholarship.

She doesn't like gardening because I don't want her to get money super fast - you can get some serious $ by growing flowers. Instead she is befriending rich people and snatching items from their houses. I'm going to get her a bit more money and then send her to Batuu so she can become a scoundrel. I want her to be able to swindle sims for cash.

I'm having fun.

The kleptomaniac trait is a great idea for this scenario! (Sadly, when my Sims have that trait, they only steal dirty dishes.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Isharell wrote: »

I'm having fun.

The kleptomaniac trait is a great idea for this scenario! (Sadly, when my Sims have that trait, they only steal dirty dishes.)

@invisiblgirl What? They can steal dirty dishes?! I love this trait! I thought I would hate it. But I don't want to overuse it and create a world of kleptos, because then all my lots would be empty. :s As it is I keep going back and adding items back every now and then. She's taken stuff from the Goths several times and only got caught once. I had her give herself several pep talks to get over it and then she had a successful steal.

She stole a knitting basket from the dorm she was visiting while checking the place out to see where she wanted to go to University. I had her keep that, she is going to learn knitting for a bit of income, also I'll have her make a few outfits. Right now she is limited in her clothing, since she is poor. I love that it says "stolen from Wyvern dorm" every time I click on it. I'm going to have her keep a few other items once she has more money.
  • Options
    emmalieemmalie Posts: 21 Member
    [quote="Mariefoxprice83;c-18005537"]I'm not sure why but I felt like the sim had to stay in the same house their entire life until they either obtained 1 million or died. I may have to rethink my strategy yet again.[/quote]

I think you are right.

I started Making money scenario in gold digger style. My poor girl started in her trailer with just a crabby kitchen and bathroom. She find her first husband to be quikly and they got married. When I moved her in to his house the scenario cancelled. I needed to rethink my story and strategy. So I started all over giving her to big empty mansion using freerealestate cheat (money was still reduced to zero and scenario going strong). Her first fiance is now moved in with all his money and this way it’s working fine.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I finished on a gardener sim earlier. So with her winnings I moved her into 3 Olde Mill Lane, in Henford-on-Bagley. She's still sitting on over a million after buying and setting up, but I figure it will suit her interests now and future interests.
    I don't know why playing this way has grabbed me, but I'm really enjoying planning and achieving with it... my way of course. Now my plan for my scenario "winners" is to find a suitable home for them to move into after completing their challenge, if they have the funds of course. I rarely really fill up the premade bigger and fancier lots and I figure here's my chance to try some of them out. I don't usually use cheats to move either so it's a little more satisfying to move on up in this way.
    Pictures of my winner in spoilers
    VYk0uNf.png
    QOQ7Guu.png
    Here's one prior to her winning but she was more than half way.
    3ViEZMy.png
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    @Hermitgirl congrats on joining the millionaire's club! I'll be starting that scenario soon and still trying to decide on a financial venture for my sim.
  • Options
    grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 304 Member
    @Karababy52 - what is "surge emotion"?

Another thing you can do to help gardening become more valuable is to have some chooks & get to a point where you have a Golden Rooster or Hen. They will then turn your plantings to perfect condition which will make them more valuable when you sell them.
  • Options
    I didn't realize they had to stay in the same house. :o Good thing I built her a nice one - it's based on my house :). Ok, I'll just have her go to University from home and furnish the house as she gets mo' money. That's actually easier for getting her thru Uni, in that she is more likely to actually go to class and to final exams instead of standing around like a loser in front of the building, or riding her bike in circles.

Since she is obsessed with getting rich, having this modest house is going to work out well, because she'll be concentrating on increasing her money rather than looking for a big house. I am looking forward to decorating it with items she has stolen from other sims. :D
  • Options
    cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I just completed it. 34 sim days. :)
  • Options
    MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I came up with a new challenge within the challenge! So, now my toddler sims are aliens who were being experimented on in a lab. Forest rescued them and now, along with a friend, have gone into hiding in Oasis Springs in the hopes of keeping them out of the clutches of the bad guys. I downloaded two MIB from the gallery and put them in Newcrest; they’re who Forest has to avoid. If she sees either one of them nearby in Oasis Springs, the household will have to move to a new town. If any of the kids talk to the MIB, they’ll be considered recaptured and a “bribe” will need to be paid to get them back again unless Forest is nearby and can whisk them away again. If they can reach adulthood without being permanently taken back to the lab, I’ll consider that part of the challenge a success. Also, the more money Forest and Sunny can make, the more they will have to spend on “bribes” if necessary. Two days in and we’re at $3000 🤣.
  • Options
    @Darstep0301 - I'm curious, what is the problem with the "Emotionally Mindful" buff? I've noticed my Sims get it sometimes but haven't really worked out why or whether it's good or bad for them to have it.
  • Options
    I was able to move house with my 3rd attempt household, when they finally had enough money to move into the house I decorated for them prior to starting the scenario. I guess you can continue the challenge if you move your sims into a new house but can't move into an already established household.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited November 2021
    The Gold Diggers of Mt. Komorebi

And I mean that in the traditional sense, not in the figurative one. The sims will live exclusively in the snowy neighborhood of Mt. Komorebi ("Alaska/Klondike") and be employed in traditional frontier town careers, maybe even limiting it to one sim per career.

Careers I have in mind:

- Gold digging. For this I need to cover a spot with sand to allow sims to check for seashells (representing the nuggets). Not sure if this works with the snowy ground, maybe if I create an indoor space?
    - Entertainment: Sing, Dance, Piano, Violin (the rabbithole career, also the improvised "acting for tips" interaction)
    - Marshall (one sim only, active detective career, as a side effect level 2 and 3 provide more furniture)
    - Dishwashing and Bartending (rabbit hole career)
    - Washing (probably no way to make money from this, but in any case the sims will have to deal with laundry and dusting at home)
    - Brewing (aka Juice Fizzing, this will most likely be more much profitable than the digging)
    - Sell Snale Oil (I'm thinking the vampire cure. Once the sims can afford a computer and bookcase and order seeds, this might become their main source of income.)
    - Knitting (everyone needs winter clothes)

Aging will be off and time will progress in real time.

Inventory sell is allowed for everything that fits the theme, so no industrial scale gardening or oil paintings that nobody needs here.

I plan to start with a single sim who recruits seven more, but I won't allow them to bring money. I'm just not sure if it's possible to earn enough money to afford a tent for the first sims quickly. Far as I know there are only three dig spots in this neighbporhood (at the hiking trail), so that may not be enough.
    Bladder need is covered by the public toilet, for food they can steal leftovers from the food cart. But energy might become a problem. I guess I could allow the startung sim power naps on the bench, although that is a) modded and b) unrealistic to sleep outside in the snow.

Doesn't work, sand and snow don't mix. And search for seashells is probably locked to Sulani anyway (toddlers can find seashells while playing in the sand, I must have mixed that up).
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    My standard rags-to-riches strategy is crafting and selling camping mascot statues. For extra challenge I started my Sim on a completely empty lot, furnished by the end of day 1 (from finding and selling collectibles) with a tent, cooler, and shower (a nearby bush served as a toilet).

She earned $200,000 (finishing the money aspiration) by halfway through young adulthood, but getting to a million will take more time, and crafting endlessly is boring (to me, the player). So I have been focusing on earning enough aspiration points to plant money trees. I could join the Scientist career to get the duplicator for the money tree seeds (a strategy I used in another playthrough) but since this isn't a speed run, I don't think I'll go that route. (I don't use cheats or exploits.)

Just completed the scenario inn 36 Sim days. Money trees didn't grow during freezing weather so I made some additional money finding artifacts in Selvadora and selling them at 2x markup. Began selling campaign mascot statues at 2x markup as well as I got toward the end.

I think the reward was 5000 aspiration points. Very underwhelming. For the amount of work this took I'd prefer an exclusive item. Not likely to do this again.
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    @Darstep0301 - I'm curious, what is the problem with the "Emotionally Mindful" buff? I've noticed my Sims get it sometimes but haven't really worked out why or whether it's good or bad for them to have it.

I eventually figured out that when you're in that state you can click on the Sim, select "Surge Emotion" and get a +4 to whatever emotion you want (Focused, Confident, etc. - though they have different names when selecting them in this mode).
  • Options

I eventually figured out that when you're in that state you can click on the Sim, select "Surge Emotion" and get a +4 to whatever emotion you want (Focused, Confident, etc. - though they have different names when selecting them in this mode).

Oh thank you! I've been playing Sims for years & had no idea what this buff did. I'll be making use of it in future. :)