Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unplayable Sim Autonomy

This has been bothering me alot. The one thing from Sims 3 that should have been transported over to Sims 4 should have been the Story Mode autonomy of the unplayable Sims in the neighborhood to create their own Sim families without my pesky intervention. It seems so boring and sterile that Sim families I'm not playing just age and die, no offspring, no way that their children raise families of their own. It's the one thing I loved about Sims 3, that I didn't have to manually go from house to house and set Sims up to start families of their own. I am aware there's a Mod that does this but I'd rather not chance corrupting my game. I ask the Sims 4 Devs to at least try to add this mechanic to the game where the AI does its magic on Sim families I am not playing nor have any interest in playing. It's more immersive that the unplayed Sim families raise generation after generation of Sim offspring. It's crappy that they just die and get replaced by the AI with randomized Sims.
You know, I don't just play The Sims 4. ^_^

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2021
    The reasons might be because this type of SP would hinder performance. The game would have to keep up with too much to connect all those Sims and their lives and families etc. This is one reason TS3 has some performance issues is because of Story Progression. One way to solve it was to have the game move out families and give the player a notice. They were culled. But at least TS3 gave a notice but to be fair it didn't matter if that Sim or family was a friend of my Sim, so, there is the problem of culling in TS3, too, even if they were good friends of my Sims. :/

There was also a problem with TS3's SP where it would move in four or five other Sims (for no apparent reason) with one of my Sims living in a one bedroom home, if I wasn't currently playing that Sim (playing rotationally) and that was nonsensical to move in that many Sims into a one bedroom house. It would also involve my Sims in relationships that I didn't even meet their partner...if I jumped to play a different Sim for a few hours. Story Progression was not a good thing in TS3, what was good was the modder's mod to make it work the way players thought it should work. The TS3 story progression had way too many issues.

But the reason they might not have added it to TS4 is because Sims can just be deleted without any harm to existing Sims, that isn't true in TS2 and TS3, so all that telemetry data about those Sims would have to be considered, and again performance issues would happen if this game has to keep up with all that data.

Just another antidote, in TS3's story progression (unmodded) adult (child) Sims living next door did not get jobs on their own. This was only done if the player's Sim was in a career and the game called for a new townie to be a co worker...so there is also the problem that no, it didn't work like people think because in a vanilla game it was awful.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.