Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should they do an overhaul or EP for game development?

In Sims 4, you can build games and mobile apps, or join the tech guru career. Thing is, a lot goes on under the hood for such things. IRL, one has to decide on the art used for the game, make or purchase the assets, set up for implementing a way to get money from the games- paid or through ads or whatever, and then be inspired enough to make the game in the first place. Why not something like that for Sims?

Have the Sims get involved in a more active career by getting 3D or 2D stuff, finding music for the game and purchase the licenses for it, and forge a team. And pray that your team doesn't fall prey to competition or the pesky hackers. With G2W, one could hire an investigator or play the role of one, where you have to discover who vandalized their work.

This would have its own optional challenges and a game studio ranking system. Can you reach the top? And if you do, can you stay there?

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Those features could probably use more meat to them, but being quite honest I am not very interested in the meta game development features that slip into games. I understand the "write what you know" mindset, but it is not really compelling for me.

Do not get me wrong, I would not turn down improvements and there are definitely places for it, but I do not care that much.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I get you. Not your cup of tea. :) I was more thinking this as like some sort of nerd EP, tbh
  • Options
    My thinking is a game dev business would be able to simul game development quite well- better than Sims does now.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    My thinking is a game dev business would be able to simul game development quite well- better than Sims does now.

Agreed. Not sure how far they would go with it, though.
  • Options
    Another thing I would like to see is, after making a game and releasing it, that it would be available to play on your Sim's phone or PC- depending on if it's a mobile app or video game.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »

Agreed. Not sure how far they would go with it, though.

There's a number of game development games out there, and I doubt the simulation Sims does won't come as close as they do. These games feature content like game genres, competition or deadlines- which Sims already has deadlines for freelance careers, and team members that you train to increase skills. Skills for this would be programming, maybe logic, singing or a new music skill for sound, and definitely painting for the game "assets", as the artwork is called.

This is just the bare bones of the concept they would reveal, unless they so chose to make their own twists in it- like, say, a bug or virus that takes on a physical form or something.
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited September 2021
    @Gamer_34567544

I read the post and it sounds fun! It’s things like that that I’m thinking the career system need. It would give more depth and creativity to careers.
    I really liked the idea with different careers working together on projects (Artists / Musicians / Programmers), that could be possible Freelance gigs.
    But I can nothing about computers / programming / games so I’m not the best in having ideas in this area. 😅

For the Tech Guru career (Game developer), do you think it should be a part of Freelance programmer, or should it be it’s own career?
  • Options
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    @Gamer_34567544

I read the post and it sounds fun! It’s things like that that I’m thinking the career system need. It would give more depth and creativity to careers.
    I really liked the idea with different careers working together on projects (Artists / Musicians / Programmers), that could be possible Freelance gigs.
    But I can nothing about computers / programming / games so I’m not the best in having ideas in this area. 😅

For the Tech Guru career (Game developer), do you think it should be a part of Freelance programmer, or should it be it’s own career?

It could be either, really. There are big game companies that have multitudes working on one game.
  • Options
    Ah- another skill in game development is story telling. Adventure and RPGs are the result of this.
  • Options
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    @Gamer_34567544

Also this is not exactly freelance on it's own, but rather, "indie". Independent people/Sims coming together with a desire to leave a mark in the game development world. Each person gets their cut from the games. Or, if you can't afford a permanent team member, one can also hire freelance programmers and artists instead, as seen in the freelance gigs.
  • Options
    I made a poll on this. I should've done that first. You can vote without replying if you posted here.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/993722/poll-should-we-do-an-overhaul-or-ep-for-game-development#latest