Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vanilla Games - Are There Packs Not Broken

This has been on my mind for quite awhile now, and I'm wondering if there are any packs that are not broken in some way.

In a vanilla game, no mods at all ..... are there packs that function as advertised?

I'm pretty disappointed and quite exhausted at having to find a mod to "fix" an issue that happens in my particular play style. Or totally abandon that function because nothing helps.

I'll get excited for a new pack concept and what is advertised, only to find out it doesn't work (I'm looking at you DHD with your gigs that can't be completed!)

It's so discouraging to keep spending money buying packs only to find out later on that they're not working properly and I either need to just accept it and find a work around, seek out a mod to try and fix it, or not play that aspect of the pack (which a lot of times, that non-functioning correctly aspect is the entire reason I bought the pack!)

And even more infuriating is how the devs just "ignore" problems, for months and sometimes years.

I feel like sometimes I'm dealing with a brand new Indie developer who has never produced a game and is still learning how to make things function together. Listen up EA/Maxis ..... this ain't your first rodeo. You need to do a lot better at playtesting your packs before release and make bug fixing a higher priority.

Vanilla Games - Are There Packs Not Broken 81 votes

Yes - There are packs that work as advertised and as intended.
65%
Akl500PBluegayleicmnfrshIcewolfSimsILikeSimsMi9shaoscarSimburianBloosmooPaigeisin5cchant86alanmichael1MindofyDarkLady2788greydonnGlimmer50emereBabykittyjadeDoloresGreyAlphaFFrogScobre 53 votes
No - Most packs have some issue with them.
34%
BreeSashaMstybl95AllearsMelisendreVageniustaydevFelicityCinders27HarukotyanwormofthebookRifftraxRulesAPottsAineSnaveXsBashsync2015DoodlyDoofusMrMonty96belpitaKittHavenDuskregn 28 votes

Comments

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited August 2021
    The only pack-related feature I've personally had issues with function-wise so far, is Dine Out. My issues I've been having were similar to the ones everyone else is talking about, and chefs etc. standing outside and not interacting, and so restaurants don't work all of the time in my game. I haven't had the issue for a while, but it comes up now and again. Mind you, I haven't fully explored everything gameplay-wise in all my packs yet so if there are any other issues I'm not aware of them in my game. It could be less that I don't have the issue, and more that I just haven't found all the glitches yet. XD
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I only have UI Cheats which doesn't actually 'fix' anything but it would be misleading for me to say all packs are working as intended as there's quite a few features I have yet to experience. The only bugs I've encountered are the gardening dirt piles and chef bugs.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2021
    There are. There have always been some bugs at times, but back in the day the game used to be a lot more stable. Boring, but stable. I admit, it has become a fairly annoying trend for packs to launch broken or compromised. Especially since they keep with the trend of breaking old pack content, too.

It wasn't so much CoL's fault, but my whole first plan for it that had me so excited was a country vet run and I had even designed the clinic before I found out the update wiped pets out of Brindleton Bay. Needless to say that didn't happen. Then my fav family I just fixed fron Eco (bugged NAP trait they had from Eco's launch when I made them saved in the gallery) was moved into HoB with their extended family in the urban part. The mother swam in the river around their home and then froze to death in their pond the very first night because it was spring. Their uncle almost did the same. I had to kept an eye out for wandering relatives because multiple times they would nearly bite the dust.

It all sure felt buggy to me, but I cannot swear to it. I genuinely think sometimes our problems are oversights and not really bugs, like me having to play lifeguard at night around the HoB river. Regardless, even if CoL is functioning unlike say the off-the-grid upgrades, it can be messed up by other things. Case in point, above.

From what I understand, things like Spa Day work very well. I haven't had any problem, but I haven't attempted the yoga classes in forever. Obviously most SPs will work properly as well as kits, though Bust the Dust has had issues apparently (I never encountered any personally with Bust the Dust), because of their simplicity.

Actually, that is another thing I want to mention: long running saves. I have had all sorts of random, unreproducible issues in long running saves. 2-4. It is why I save Sims in the library and reroll the family so often in a different save. The longer you play, the more janky it becomes. That is just a rule of the Sims at this point and it isn't exactly a normal bug. Pretty well everytime I have had a fire in 4 it was devastating because it was bugged out in some ways. The fire fighters were genuine game savers for me because I've had to be locked in place and watch a fire rage in a staircase for IRL 10 minutes in the past. It can get fairly ridiculous, like Guidry and Bonehilda randomly converting to roommates. There is more, but there is a lot more than DLC functioning within its specified scope that is a problem.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm not even vanilla and I just don't understand all of the broken packs people complain about constantly. Lately I've been playing a few hours daily because I have time. One night I stayed up till 4 in the morning playing 😅😅 clearly there are a few bugs (as always) but I literally had no major issues all this time and I have all the packs. I went on a jungle adventure, worked just fine. Did my apocalyptic farming, worked just fine. Went out to eat at restaurant twice, worked just fine. Played with moschino, worked just fine. Played with celebrities, get together clubs, night clubs, did some bowling, got a dog, hired a butler. Bust the dust is working okay. I just hate how long it takes to get dirty since the nerf.
    I don't know... it all worked fine for me....

I have noticed some vampire bugs that I know are vanilla. But it didn't stop me from playing with them. I noticed a lot placement bug only for certain lots. No cc from gallery. And a few of my own lots. But this game and it's packs are far from what I would consider broken...

And some of what I see people complain about on various sites are things that are by design. Which is causes an annoyance but not because it's broken.

I don't do careers so can't speak on those.

If somebody feels it's broken for them that's fine. Just sharing my experience..🙂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think I just figured out the lot issue though. Seems that placing any lot or room rather it's vanilla or cc crashes if it has a mannequin... still testing to be sure though.
    Edited: yep it's the mannequin. Or "certain" mannequins. Or possibly depends on the amount of mannequins. Lol I'm tired of loading in and out.
    Guess I'll put that in a bug report though but just letting everyone know incase they have that issue.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I would even say that most packs work as intended, most of the bugs I encounter seem to be less pack specific and if they are caused by certain packs I cant really tie them to those from the outside so to speak.
    I got all the packs and kits and I play on console (so no mods or cc) btw., so it is kinda hard to tell which pack may cause which bug.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Tan80Tan80 Posts: 72 Member
    The only pack I find is buggy is get to work, like you can’t really garden in the science career and that you can’t deliver a baby on the doctor career, everything else seems fine to me just a bit of lagging and went to build a rocket ship but couldn’t, but when testing that out in a new save I could.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Most of the Stuff Packs up until My First Pet & the Parenthood Gameplay Pack.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Yes, some packs do work. It's usually the pre-pack updates that bork my game.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    It boggles my brain how some simmers' games are so buggy and others aren't. It makes no logical sense and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on who ends up with buggy games and who doesn't?

Some vanilla players are buggy while others aren't.
    Some modded games are buggy while others aren't.
    Some only get glitches under certain conditions while others don't.

It's crazy.... :/
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    VeganisinizVeganisiniz Posts: 51 Member
    Yeah, most significant bugs I've had have been fixed (when master vampires couldn't gain points) or been seemingly unrelated to packs. The only bugs I regularly get now are the railings and stairs popping through walls, MOO placed items occasionally disappearing even with MOO enabled, and rare simulation lag.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Nowadays they just make furniture packs instead of gameplay as chairs won't break ;)
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    The pack I have most problems with is Dine Out. The others seem to work fine, a few other packs have some bugs (nothing biggie, but can be annoying still and still needs to be fixed).
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It boggles my brain how some simmers' games are so buggy and others aren't. It makes no logical sense and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on who ends up with buggy games and who doesn't?

I think a lot of it depends on how you play and what features you use. And I suspect that in some cases, it's a particular combination of packs that creates a bug. That's what makes it difficult for them to find bugs in testing or replicate them later. Some things happen only if you have autonomy on, for example. I had an issue with grocery delivery no one else seemed to have - another Simmer figured out that it was due to the 'private dwelling' lot trait that I always use in my game.

As for the original question, I play without mods or cc and can't say that any pack is entirely bugfree, but I don't find that any of the bugs completely ruin the pack or make the game unplayable.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I don't own all the packs but the ones I have (over 25 :# ) seem fine. Knock on wood. ;)
  • Options
    RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    I'm not even vanilla and I just don't understand all of the broken packs people complain about constantly. Lately I've been playing a few hours daily because I have time. One night I stayed up till 4 in the morning playing 😅😅 clearly there are a few bugs (as always) but I literally had no major issues all this time and I have all the packs. I went on a jungle adventure, worked just fine. Did my apocalyptic farming, worked just fine. Went out to eat at restaurant twice, worked just fine. Played with moschino, worked just fine. Played with celebrities, get together clubs, night clubs, did some bowling, got a dog, hired a butler. Bust the dust is working okay. I just hate how long it takes to get dirty since the nerf.
    I don't know... it all worked fine for me....

I have noticed some vampire bugs that I know are vanilla. But it didn't stop me from playing with them. I noticed a lot placement bug only for certain lots. No cc from gallery. And a few of my own lots. But this game and it's packs are far from what I would consider broken...

And some of what I see people complain about on various sites are things that are by design. Which is causes an annoyance but not because it's broken.

I don't do careers so can't speak on those.

If somebody feels it's broken for them that's fine. Just sharing my experience..🙂

Really must be nice to have a super-game that doesn't have any bugs. 🙄😒
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    A lot of stuff packs are bug-free for me. I think Spa Day and Strangerville have no current issues either. Seasons and Get Famous seem to be the most stable EPs at the moment.

Dine Out is constantly broken, all lots with bars/barrista stations from various EPs are broken, the top levels of Dream Decorator don't work in my game. Eco Living and Dust Kit suffer from incredible design flaws. Absolutely everything in Get to Work has been broken here and then since 2015, currently some career animations.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member

It's just alot of variables, what packs are installed, what mods/CC and how the game is being played (what features are used and how).
    So many possible combinations...
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    My game is 100% vanilla, I've never even had any mods or cc and most of the packs work fine for me. I'm only having problems with gardening in general and Get To Work (the doctor can't kalibrate the X-ray machine). Even Dine Out works great for me as long as my Sims visit restaurants as customers. Running a restaurant used to have so much problems that I gave up trying. I don't know if it it's fixed now.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Didn't vote because I wouldn't say it swings particularly far in either direction. Some packs work fine, others don't. For the most part, I don't have many major problems, but lots of little things that add up to larger frustrations. But I also cannot be sure which packs the bugs are coming from. TS4 is just pretty messy overall at this point.

Like, I'm lucky that compared to others my game works relatively smoothly. Dine Out is probably the most bugged pack for me. Or at least most obviously bugged since there's only so much to do with that pack that it makes it obvious the bugs are a problem with it specifically. Up until recently I was at least able to complete meals, but the last time I finally took my sims out to dinner (had a toddler for a while and can't leave them home without their needs decaying to red), I couldn't complete the meal properly because the sims kept resetting and standing up from the table. Might've been because other sims were trying to interact with one of them who's a celebrity, but I haven't tested it since. Plus waiters are always picking up and leaving dirty plates all over the place even though there's stations and bins everywhere and easily accessible. I end up having to make my own sims clean up...

In general I still have to occasionally reset my sims when they get stuck, and keep the speed below x3 to avoid clock issues. Lots of visual bugs like when playing with toddlers or pets. Wonder if pizza delivery ever got fixed? Haven't ordered one in a while because they would never come but I think if you ordered before 5pm it still worked? Didn't have the gardening bug myself when it first cropped up but I haven't played with a garden in a while aside from ones on community lots and those seem to work fine? Can't leave a celebrity household in the middle of one of their gigs because when I come back it's broken. Sims drop commands all the time if I switch off of them for 5 minutes to check on another household member. Especially with the Teacher career from DU. When working from home they are constantly dropping their work commands and I have to watch them the whole time.

So yeah. It can be pretty hit or miss. I don't use mods because this game is already on unstable ground as it is. When the generation is over I'll probably get some since I won't have to worry about patches anymore.

My advice for now is just clear your caches every time you launch, and definitely before you update your game. Then I repair after an update as well. I do everything I can to keep this game running as smoothly as possible. And for the most part it seems to work...
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    To be honest, it's become more and more difficult to distinguish which pack is the buggy one, or if it's just that the more you add on the more they all break.

My first big bug was when seasons made the Geekcon unplayable, because it rained.
    I have basically given up playing, as there is almost always something that isn't working properly.

But having said that, no, I don't have any major crashes and the game runs fairly smoothly with very few fps dips. So it's all relative, I suppose? :#
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I have a gaming rig and own everything for the game. Most of it doesn't work as advertised and some of the systems break after adding other systems. I'm constantly having one off bugs where I have to restart the game in order to get things to function right. For the most part, I think the base game is really just messed up and the more you add to it, the more likely you are to experience bugs.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Everyone experiences glitches and broken packs differently so the responses aren’t going to be completely accurate per say. A lot of issues some people have experienced I never have and I’ve played with and without mods.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I have only played a vanilla game in Sims 4 and never really experienced bugs much for many years, but now I do have at least one game breaking one for me. Gardening going to dirt piles. I have all the packs, so I don’t know if this is related to a specific pack or the basegame, but for me it is quite frustrating, and I can’t work around it because I really have no idea what is causing it. I have to save often and end up pulling out of a game with out saving when my plants turn to dirt now. I seem to constantly be checking my garden. Sometimes they turn to piles right away. Like the last time I fertilized plants I was using a different fertilizer for each plant ( because I read that I you couldn’t use the same fertilizer in a row, as that was currently broken )), and as each was fertilized they turned to piles of dirt. Whereas, the game day before, I fertilized them that way and they were fine. One time I went into the mirror to change outfits and much of my garden was a pile of dirt when I came back. I am talking about a garden in a green house.

I have also had a problem with dine out lately, and the manage households where when you save a family with a baby, the baby is always black. I haven’t played my get to work families recently so I can’t comment on that bug (but I figure that gardening bug is causing problems with the science career too, by what someone else mentioned ). I have DHD, but have only used the furniture in that one, not played the career, the same with the paranormal career, and Batuu, I haven’t delved into those packs game play yet, even though I have them. In fact, there are several packs I haven’t delved into deep game play yet. I’m just beginning to actually play cottage living, but my greenhouse dirt pile bug is frustrating my game play.
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I play vanilla on console and generally speaking there is no game breaking bugs I’m experiencing right now. The most glitchy thing so far is Dine Out, but I can still use restaurants just fine. Recently chefs wait around two in-game hours to enter and start cooking but after that the order is delivered quickly. I remember to always put two stations for chefs and waiters in all bigger restaurants so I never really had problem with food not being delivered. Also placing tables far from each other prevent other patrons from butting into my conversations lol. As for gardening I had dirt pile problem before, but since recent update it’s acting according to seasons so I’m guessing it was fixed. But I own packs only up to Snowy Escape and Paranormal Pack. I don’t plan getting DHD or Cottage Living so I can’t say much about bugs that can be caused by those two. I heard about rocket being bugged due to Cottage Living festivals for example and in my game it works fine.