Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are key selling websites really that bad?

This comes up all the time on discord servers. Personally I bought keys in the last years without any problems. I know people had some really bad experiences. But the support forum is filled with similar stories about the origin client. Other people always say to buy on amazon and origin. But they all get their keys from maxis because nobody else can produce game keys.

So is there actual evidence that the key selling websites are worse than amazon when it comes to reliability?
How does this work with "stolen" keys?
Or is that all just propaganda so people buy only on origin at full price?

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2021
    Stolen keys are usually keys that someone have bought from a retailer and then gotten their money back from chargebacks. Then they sell those keys to key selling websites. EA are not getting any money from it and they often have to treat those keys as used, sometimes they block those keys so they can't be used.

So in short, if you buy a key from a key selling website there is a chance that it's a key that EA never got any money from and thus you are risking getting your key blocked. Some have even said that they have gotten their account removed. You have to check the sellers history and google around to see how reliable they are.

That's why I always buy from origin because it's not worth the risk in my opinion. Plenty of people here on the forums have said that they have had no problems though.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2021
    A ea guru said using cd keys is just fine you just can't get ea help if the code does not work just have too contact cd keys for help. iI have used cd keys for years when digital codes started. The ea response is on the forums from last year.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Those sites do not directly get their keys from EA. They typically obtain keys from distributors in regions where games are cheaper (and these distributors are not allowed to sell keys to other regions by EA).

You’ll notice that it’s mainly expansions packs that are cheaper on these gray market sites, as expansion packs still have physical releases / are being sold to distributors. For other pack types, EA doesn’t sell them to distributors and those key sites have no way to obtain them for cheap.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Stolen keys are usually keys that someone have bought from a retailer and then gotten their money back from chargebacks. Then they sell those keys to key selling websites. EA are not getting any money from it and they often have to treat those keys as used, sometimes they block those keys so they can't be used.
    Are you saying the vendors are reporting those keys to game companies so they can invalidate them? Which presumes the resellers havent actually bought the keys but received them and send parts of their profits to the gaming company later. I have my doubts about that.
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Those sites do not directly get their keys from EA. They typically obtain keys from distributors in regions where games are cheaper (and these distributors are not allowed to sell keys to other regions by EA).
    I bought cottage living for 28$. In which region is the cost of expansion packs less than 40$? Or 28$ so the reseller to still make profit.
    You’ll notice that it’s mainly expansions packs that are cheaper on these gray market sites, as expansion packs still have physical releases / are being sold to distributors. For other pack types, EA doesn’t sell them to distributors and those key sites have no way to obtain them for cheap.
    Actually its all three kinds of packs that are cheaper, not just expansion packs. Sometimes I got codes directly and sometimes a picture of the code taken directly from the box.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Zasz wrote: »
    Are you saying the vendors are reporting those keys to game companies so they can invalidate them? Which presumes the resellers havent actually bought the keys but received them and send parts of their profits to the gaming company later. I have my doubts about that.

EA does investigations of fake key requests and figuring out credit card chargebacks. And those investigations often start because they get contacted by retailers or banks. If the keys were bought with stolen credit cards then there are often investigations.

I don't know how common this is and how often they block those keys but I can't imagine that they don't do this.

But like elelunicy said, it's more common that the keys you are buying are from another country. That's why they are cheaper. But that's another gray area since that is not how the keys were meant to be distributed.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If I use Origin, and have a problem with a purchase, I can sort that out with EA directly. Also, I can be assured that the ads I see, and that my computer loads will be in-house, EA marketing, free from trojans, keyloggers, spyware or the rest of the sort of cruft one risks on third party sites offsetting expenses with advertisement for "related services" like, say, gold-farming botfarms and other marginally legal, hacktastic industries.

Some key sellers may be fine, and exercise a commendable degree of advertiser integrity. But why risk it? For Sims content, EA has it all on Origin, which I use to load my game in any case. To the extent that they are farming metrics from my usage habits and purchase history, they are welcome to that data. Better a publisher I support than whoever is buying data from Games-R-Us, or whoever.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2021
    As others have pointed out, keys aren't a bad way to go. Third party sellers are just risky. I am talking more specifically about private sellers and the sites that buy codes from private individuals. Think of it like Ebay. Some stuff will be good, some bad. It is a gamble because third party sellers aren't beholden to the same standards as first party.

I don't do it for the Sims, but I 100% have bought codes and downloads off of Amazon. I just do not buy from private sellers for digital content because it isn't worth the risk. A disk or physical good doesn't carry as much risk.

Also, chargebacks and refund scams are absolutely a real thing. I linked a video in one of these threads about the Steam Spore EA Play scam that showed how to get the code and sell it to make a profit. It was done back during a sale for maximum profit, and to this day you still cannot get your Spore code so Steam copies cannot access Origin Spore servers.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Third party sellers are just risky. I am talking more specifically about private sellers and the sites that buy codes from private individuals. Think of it like Ebay. Some stuff will be good, some bad. It is a gamble because third party sellers aren't beholden to the same standards as first party.
    That sounds like amazon. Yet the same people on discord who condemn key selling websites promote amazon as reliable. Always makes me cringe.

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Third party sellers are just risky. I am talking more specifically about private sellers and the sites that buy codes from private individuals. Think of it like Ebay. Some stuff will be good, some bad. It is a gamble because third party sellers aren't beholden to the same standards as first party.
    That sounds like amazon. Yet the same people on discord who condemn key selling websites promote amazon as reliable. Always makes me cringe.

Well, Amazon proper is. Amazon, the company, sells some codes. They also list codes from private individuals. The exact seller is listed on the buy page.

Edit: To be extra clear, I buy codes listed by Amazon themselves or some sort of verified retailer. Not from private individuals.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    I think another reason you want to be careful from buying keys from smaller places is that you want to be careful not to use a credit card with someone who may not be reputable.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2021
    Key sites rarely give you any issues if you use the right ones. It's mainly just a myth made to make people continue paying EA's extortionate prices, and nobody is getting or will be banned for buying codes online, EA has confirmed that.

It is just the case of exercising common sense, if it's a random, unknown website, then it's probably best to give it a miss, but for the bigger ones 99.9% of the time there will not be an issue. If you stick to CDKeys you'll be good, it's the most popular one and I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with them. They also have refund policies so on the off chance that there ever was an issue you'd get your money back pretty easily
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2021
    I have used amazon and cdkeys for keys is just gamvio that bad and g2a and kinguin. Gamvio has sims 5 pre order that is 100% fake
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    If You are from a First world country and have websites like that that is popular to use (such as CD Keys) then I say go for it especially if a lot of people do it and there are no troubles in that case from other players. However if you live in a third world country like mine, I say no buy games only at the video games store or at Origin. These days most of the "Keys" or DVD for the games are pirated and many people fall into thinking they are legitimate copies.
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: »
    Key sites rarely give you any issues if you use the right ones. It's mainly just a myth made to make people continue paying EA's extortionate prices, and nobody is getting or will be banned for buying codes online, EA has confirmed that.
    Where did they confirm that?
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Actually its all three kinds of packs that are cheaper, not just expansion packs. Sometimes I got codes directly and sometimes a picture of the code taken directly from the box.

Are game packs/stuff packs/kits available for cheaper at launch? Like how much was Dream Home Decorator on these sites when it first came out? Even official retailers like Amazon will put these packs on sale after they are out for a while. Obviously the key selling sites are able to obtain keys cheaper after these packs went on sale.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I got cottage living one day before release for 28$ on one of those websites instead of 40$ on origin.
    Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding. I "pre-ordered" the key and received it one hour after release.
  • Options
    Where did they confirm that?

There was a thread on it last year, someone contacted EA support about it and they confirmed they wouldn't ban an account for using these sites

8fpv7l9dujv51.jpg

There's been quite a few topics on it, other than this EA staff just give a warning that you may have packs disabled if they are dodgy. You won't get banned for them but you could risk losing the pack and EA will not provide any support if this happens so it's up to the retailer.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I got cottage living one day before release for 28$ on one of those websites instead of 40$ on origin.
    Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding. I "pre-ordered" the key and received it one hour after release.

I suppose that is why Maxis is introducing those pre-order bonus items again. It's all very well on one computer but you may have problems later. I did when I tried a couple of free "unlocked" items on another website for Sims 3. When reinstalling I couldn't remember which I had bought and which I hadn't and the game wouldn't load store stuff at all. Now I just use Origin.

When Sims 4 came out it apparently was triggered to misbehave after a short time if the game was pirated but that didn't seem to last!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Here is a response from EA_Leeloo when we talked about this in this thread about a year ago:
    EA_Leeloo wrote: »
    Hey there lovely people!
    Apologies that it took me some time to jump in here. I can see that a response from EA Help was shared in this thread already. Just to reiterate that point:

If you are considering to buy codes from retailers other than EA (Origin), I would recommend you take a look at this EA Help article that has a lot of useful info on this topic - this is the article that the agent in the screenshot linked.

As was said in the chat, it is absolutely up to you where you buy your codes. But we do ask you to be cautious so you can avoid unpleasant surprises which is pointed out on the website:

What about other PC digital retailers?
    Purchasing EA PC digital games from unauthorized sellers holds a variety of risks. The following information can help you protect your account and yourself.

Our games are sold at various online and in-store retailers across the world, but sometimes these retailers are not all they may seem to be.

Some unauthorized retailers bring risks with each purchase you attempt to make, and they can put your account and personal information in danger. Make sure to protect yourself:
    • At best, you might get the wrong product or language version of a game you buy.
    • At worst, unauthorized websites may be phishing for your EA Account or payment information. This can result in losing access to your account or fraudulent activity with your payment details.
    • Additionally, any illegally obtained games and Product Codes will be disabled by us, and access to the product will be lost.
    [...] We want you to have the best experience, but we cannot help out with purchases made through an unauthorized digital retailer.

If you purchase EA digital products from an unauthorized party and the CD key or Product Code is disabled, you will not be able to play your game and we will be unable to assist you.

I hope this helps and confirms what you've found out by now. :)
  • Options
    Some unauthorized retailers bring risks
    Is there a full list of authorized vendors?
    Additionally, any illegally obtained games and Product Codes will be disabled by us, and access to the product will be lost.
    If you purchase EA digital products from an unauthorized party and the CD key or Product Code is disabled, you will not be able to play your game and we will be unable to assist you.
    That does sound like a ban. Or the phrasing is really unfortunate because to me it sounds like its contradicting the conversation above it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Additionally, any illegally obtained games and Product Codes will be disabled by us, and access to the product will be lost.
    That does sound like a ban. Or the phrasing is really unfortunate because to me it sounds like its contradicting the conversation above it.

Sort of, they are listing retailers on that EA Help site that EA_Leeloo linked.

I don't know if they ban you... I'm pretty sure they mean with their statement that you can't contact Origin support and get help with a product that doesn't work that you have not bought from a retailer that they work with. Some people have claimed that they have gotten banned so that's why I mentioned it.

To be honest I think those people got banned for different reasons.
  • Options
    I don't know if they ban you... I'm pretty sure they mean with their statement that you can't contact Origin support and get help with a product that doesn't work that you have not bought from a retailer that they work with. Some people have claimed that they have gotten banned but I don't know, I don't think EA would ban you unless they had a good reason.
    Its so frustrating that they cant make clear statements. Which explains the stories about nightmare sessions with the support about these issues.
  • Options

They're referring to the item that was disabled, so if a pack is disabled you won't be able to play with that pack. I've had a pack disabled once in the past, the rest of my game was still fully there it was just that pack that vanished
  • Options
    They're referring to the item that was disabled, so if a pack is disabled you won't be able to play with that pack. I've had a pack disabled once in the past, the rest of my game was still fully there it was just that pack that vanished
    I think the article doesnt specifically target DLCs but rather full games. So Im not sure if it really applies to any packs of sims 4.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited August 2021
    I suggest a google search asking for information regarding key selling and if it is safe. There's a huge difference between companies that act as a broker selling on keys from private individuals, companies that bulk buy from countries and companies that bulk buy from cheaper countries AND do the necessary checking to make sure the keys are not locked to their country of origin. The first instance is most likely to sell keys that are stolen, the second may sell keys which were legit in their country of origin but will not work in yours and the last type are least likely to sell you a key that will not work.
    Trustpilot is a good place to check which key sites have a good reputation.