Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Effect of edibles when canned

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    As for cross-pack compatibility, for some mysterious reason the local sims in HoB seem to like to make De-Stressing Concoction on the outdoor barbecue on my sims' lot and leave jars around as presents. They now have dozens of these jars in their inventories and in the fridges. It's a low-level potion, so I guess it is easy to make, but one bonus is that it completely removes tense buffs, and my sims seem to get stressed quite a lot while working on the farm so that is a great help. Another bonus is that sometimes these local visitors are interrupted and leave an incomplete pot of this potion bubbling on the stove or grill. Both my sim parents in my current save have gained up to level 3 of the herbalism skill just completing these half-finished potions.

De-stressing concoction is a result of one of the Eco NAPs, I forgot which one exactly. For some reason, the NAPs are very active even though I have voting turned off in my game and none are enforced. That might be the case in your game too.

That's neat; I didn't know that was the result of a NAP. I always immediately cheat each neighborhood to the max with 4 appropriate NAPs on moving in with a family, and I did the same here too. But I must have picked one I had never used before -- perhaps the Self-sufficiency one? I didn't mind all the De-stressing Concotions; I actually thought it was kind of helpful to get so many. Additionally, as I was saying, my sims gained Herbalism as a result, without having to read a book or travel to Granite Falls to find ingredients.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    As I play I get more questions... I noticed that vegetables and berries etc don't spoil in the fridge. At least I can't find any ticking counter on them. So, why should I preserve say mushrooms, if I can just keep them fresh in my fridge "forever"?

I like the décor value and all, but would there really be a point spending hours on preserving the bigger quantum? I was thinking that because strawberries grow only in Spring, it would be wise preserving some to use in Summer, Fall and Winter. But why bother, if the berries stay fresh in the fridge year round?

Right now I wish all fresh food would spoil...

1) The new oversized crops do spoil.

2) The finished products from canning are worth more than the raw ingredients, so canning is a way to make money faster.

3) It's a good way to separate ingredients out. E.g., if you know you need/want to make a chocolate pie for some reason in the next day or two, but you want to make a fruit salad in the meantime, making the chocolate syrup first ensures that you won't accidentally use the chocoberries randomly instead of something else.

Oh, I thought of one more thing: (4) Preserves will fill your hunger bar more quickly than eating the amount of raw produce than went into making them, and without the risk of that negative moodlet for an upset stomach that you can get if you eat too many raw harvestables in one sitting.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’m a bit confused by canning, what exactly is the purpose of it? Is it to keep certain food types for longer so they don’t spoil? I’ve had my sim canning meat products to hopefully keep them longer but I’m not even sure if this is what it does. :D
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I’m a bit confused by canning, what exactly is the purpose of it? Is it to keep certain food types for longer so they don’t spoil? I’ve had my sim canning meat products to hopefully keep them longer but I’m not even sure if this is what it does. :D

I'm a bit confused with this as well, but got good input in this thread. Main point might be to increase the value + that a preserve fills hunger better than the raw produce it was based on. Both preserves and produce (bar the oversized) seems to never spoil, and I don't think most sims eating it will gain a modlet from one or the other - but I'm pretty sure I saw some get a modlet, but that might also depend on traits/aspiration.

I've not explored quality, so *if* preserves get quality based on quality of produce and cooking skill, it should be possible increasing quality by investing the time it takes to can (most effect on selling value, I assume).

While preserves sell for more, are easier to use with the picnic basket, and they might also build relations better when gifted to neighbors etc. There is some gifting tradition in HoB, which I don't know much about yet :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg