Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some of these "free updates" seem pointless.

Okay, so, I can understand calendars and kids helping out with cooking/gardening being helpful. That's fine and all.

But why are there "Hot outfits" and "Cold outfits" even if I don't have Seasons? There's no reason to have them. I mean, you can already have multiple Everyday or Formal or whatever outfits. Why set up outfits that your Sims are never going to wear?

And then there's the "Clean Lightly" and "Polish to Perfection" actions, even though I don't have Bust the Dust. What's the point? They're literally the same thing. I don't even know why you clean a sink "lightly" but polish a countertop to "perfection." A dirty sink looks like it needs as deep a clean as a countertop or bar.

There are lot of little "updates" like this that include things I never asked for, that seem to have no purpose.

I'm not angry or anything (unless they cause bugs, which is a whole other issue). I'm just wondering...why?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    These are blanket patches which is a fast and easy peasy way to code the game without having to make sure you get all the code in case you get a pack later. It's a slap happy way of doing things because it's easier than say adding that once you get the pack where these would be necessary parts of the pack. Bogging down your game, when you can't use them and or want to use them since you don't have the packs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    If you don't have seasons you can use the hot and cold outfits as 'bank' in case you want your sims to have more than 5 outfits in any of the other categories. It means manual selection, but does expand your options.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I have no complaints whatsoever if they want to add more stuff to my game for free. Bring it on I say. Game is a mixed bag of stuff anyway so more stuff suits me fine. I usually find someway of using it.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    As someone with Seasons that wants more saved outfits, I certainly would not complain about having more. However, I think you already said why you have those updates: for the packs. It is for the packs to work with, and if you do not have the pack that is all you have of it. There is a point. *shrug*
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    What is the point of the "Polish to Perfection" and "Clean Lightly" interactions? I don't have Bust the Dust, so I don't get it. They don't appear to make any difference whatsoever.
    Maybe it's a hint they'll finally make Cleaning a skill like the Sims 2. At least I hope :)
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    What is the point of the "Polish to Perfection" and "Clean Lightly" interactions? I don't have Bust the Dust, so I don't get it. They don't appear to make any difference whatsoever.
    Maybe it's a hint they'll finally make Cleaning a skill like the Sims 2. At least I hope :)

Vacuum Lightly means the floor is dusty and needs to be vacuumed to make it clean.

Vacuum to Perfection means the floor is already clean, but you can vacuum it anyway.

I believe they work the same way for cleaning in general, lightly means it’s dirty, perfection means it’s already clean. Might have something to do with traits or something if the option is/is not available for certain Sims but that’s what I’ve noticed.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Okay, so, I can understand calendars and kids helping out with cooking/gardening being helpful. That's fine and all.

But why are there "Hot outfits" and "Cold outfits" even if I don't have Seasons? There's no reason to have them. I mean, you can already have multiple Everyday or Formal or whatever outfits. Why set up outfits that your Sims are never going to wear?

And then there's the "Clean Lightly" and "Polish to Perfection" actions, even though I don't have Bust the Dust. What's the point? They're literally the same thing. I don't even know why you clean a sink "lightly" but polish a countertop to "perfection." A dirty sink looks like it needs as deep a clean as a countertop or bar.

There are lot of little "updates" like this that include things I never asked for, that seem to have no purpose.

I'm not angry or anything (unless they cause bugs, which is a whole other issue). I'm just wondering...why?

Sims with the Perfectionist trait also "Polish to perfection", so it doesn't come with Bust the Dust. I don't have that pack, but I have a lot of Perfectionist sims, and that choice comes up when an object is dirty.

Just because you didn't ask for features, those features may have purpose to someone else. There are lots of things in game I never asked for or want, but its there. I either ignore it if I can, or I mod it away (especially annoying autonomous behaviour, some of it drives me bonkers)