May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NPC Update - Community Feedback

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
edited August 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Sims 4 is updating their NPCs (https://simscommunity.info/2021/08/03/the-sims-4s-npcs-are-getting-visual-and-lore-updates/)
This is a thread to show what they should update about the NPCs and lore in Sims 4!

Caliente family
This family got white-washed and looks nothing like in Sims 2.
315-F4-F2-B-4-AFD-4212-8106-BD493-C70-EEC5.jpg
The Caliente Sisters look nothing like in Sims 2+3. They need a serious makeover. Nina & Dina went from being brown to white.
Also their mother got replaced by Katrina Caliente. Their biological mother is actually called Ni-ghat Caliente. She died when Nina & Dina were children.
5-D3-B3590-AC5-F-4-E95-9-A8-C-C66-D4-DBFE647.jpg
Ni-ghat Caliente should make a reappearance as a gravestone at the Caliente house lot.

Goth family
Add a graveyard to the Goth house! There has always been a graveyard at the Goth family home! Back when Sims 4 released there were no ghosts, which is why there is no graveyard with ancestors of the Goth family.
MTS_Sortyero29-1589138-Main.JPG
Famous Goth family ancestors include:
Cornelia Goth - Mortimer‘s mother - Died by fire (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Cornelia_Goth )
Gunther Goth - Mortimer’s father - Died by fire (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Gunther_Goth )
Frida Goth - Gunther‘s sister - Died by fire as an adult (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Frida_Goth )
Lolita Goth - Died by Electrocution as a young adult (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lolita_Goth )

What is your feedback for NPC updates?
a256aFi.gif
Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on

Comments

• Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited August 2021
    Personally, I'd rather they left them be. I sometimes play as pre-made families, and would be disappointed if their appearance/lore suddenly changed. Each to their own, no one's opinion is right or wrong, this is just how I feel. :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Personally, I'd rather they left them be. I sometimes play as pre-made families, and would be disappointed if their appearance/lore suddenly changed. Each to their own, no one's opinion is right or wrong, this is just how I feel. :smile:

Are you okay with white-washing characters and completely throwing Sims lore away?
    Nina & Dina Caliente went from being brown to white.
    Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I fully agree with your thread and they should read it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

So you‘re okay with white-washing characters and completely throwing Sims lore away?

Please don't put words in my mouth, this isn't what I meant at all, and I apologise if it came across that way.
    I'd like to know more information before I form a proper opinion, I simply don't want to log into my "Goths" save (for example) and have them completely different to how I left them.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    On the beauty thing in particular, I thought they said they sort of reimagined these old townies?

As for my feedback, give everyone assigned hot and cold outfits so I do not have to shudder at accessory overload come summer.

Also be mindful of the changes made. Some people are already attached to a few premades. I have some I have a saved edited version of, and I am a little weary at the thought of having to recombine the two. For example, I could probably get away with just re-adding the Hecking's English Bulldog and son, but I have added skills and meticulous outfit edits to Vlad. He would be a nightmare to redo to incorporate the changes/improvements. Otherwise, I am looking forward to the lore improvements.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Also be mindful of the changes made. Some people are already attached to a few premades.
    I think this was the point I was trying to make. I'm sorry if it didn't come across well. :smile:
    I happy for changes if it makes people happy, but it shouldn't leave others disappointed in the process.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    edited August 2021
    I really hope adding proper winterwear to the pre-Season premades is part of this. Otherwise, I'm not really interested in townie lore and makeovers. They can add lore and personality to premades for upcoming packs - as we didn't already get used to them.
    I already wasn't too fond of changing some of the premade hairs to an extend where it completely changed their appearance (I'm looking at you, Bob Pancakes).
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member

So you‘re okay with white-washing characters and completely throwing Sims lore away?

As much as I loved the old games, not everyone has played them and thusly care about some sort of old canon they do not even know. That is perfectly fine.

From what I remember, the Sims team themselves said they reimagined them for 4. Think alternate universe. Awful canon, but that was just one of the many things wrong with 4 from launch.

So please do not jump down someone's throat because they happened to like the characters they got to know in 4. They have been around for 7 years now.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sims 4 is updating their NPCs (https://simscommunity.info/2021/08/03/the-sims-4s-npcs-are-getting-visual-and-lore-updates/)
    This is a thread to show what they should update about the NPCs and lore in Sims 4!

Caliente family
    This family got white-washed and looks nothing like in Sims 2.
    315-F4-F2-B-4-AFD-4212-8106-BD493-C70-EEC5.jpg
    The Caliente Sisters look nothing like in Sims 2+3. They need a serious makeover. Nina & Dina went from being brown to white.
    Also their mother got replaced by Katrina Caliente. Their biological mother is actually called Ni-ghat Caliente. She died when Nina & Dina were children.
    5-D3-B3590-AC5-F-4-E95-9-A8-C-C66-D4-DBFE647.jpg
    Ni-ghat Caliente should make a reappearance as a gravestone at the Caliente house lot.

Goth family
    Add a graveyard to the Goth house! There has always been a graveyard at the Goth family home! Back when Sims 4 released there were no ghosts, which is why there is no graveyard with ancestors of the Goth family.
    MTS_Sortyero29-1589138-Main.JPG
    Famous Goth family ancestors include:
    Cornelia Goth - Mortimer‘s mother - Died by fire (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Cornelia_Goth )
    Gunther Goth - Mortimer’s father - Died by fire (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Gunther_Goth )
    Frida Goth - Gunther‘s sister - Died by fire as an adult (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Frida_Goth )
    Lolita Goth - Died by Electrocution as a young adult (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lolita_Goth )

What is your feedback for NPC updates?

Bring back the Montys and Capps and the Summerdream families from The Sims 2. I think people either forgot about those families, or would like to have those families in their games like I do. It’s great we got updated versions of the Grunt family, and the Pleasant family and Beaker family, but we do need more sims from the past. In this Sims 4 canon, maybe Dina and Nina Caliente were adopted by Katrina Caliente after their mother Nig-hat Caliente died and had plastic surgery and bleached their skin white when they (Nina and Dina Caliente) became young adults. But yeah, Nina and Dina should have the appearance they have in “The Sims 2” and not be whitewashed because that’s not what they really looked like.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I was never interested in the first two games, thus never played them. So obviously I'm not going to care about any sims or lore from those. I played Sims 3 for a few weeks but it never caught enough of my interest to continue, so again, don't care. And in Sims 4, I've seen the same NPCs way too many times already, and I never cared a thing about their stories in the first place because I prefer to make my own. Soooo. Any so-called improvements done for the pre-mades are completely wasted on me. There are other things on which they could use that time -- things that could benefit all players.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I was never interested in the first two games, thus never played them. So obviously I'm not going to care about any sims or lore from those. I played Sims 3 for a few weeks but it never caught enough of my interest to continue, so again, don't care. And in Sims 4, I've seen the same NPCs way too many times already, and I never cared a thing about their stories in the first place because I prefer to make my own. Soooo. Any so-called improvements done for the pre-mades are completely wasted on me. There are other things on which they could use that time -- things that could benefit all players.

I also prefer to make my own stories. But yeah, it should be the player’s option whether or not they want the premade families from “The Sims 2” and “The Sims 3” or not.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,742 Member
    I don't think they will redo the characters that much, I think the sims4 will still be an alternate universe.

Here is what I'm hoping for though.
    • Updated Hot and Cold weather outfits.
    • Updated Likes/Dislikes. Make it so Tina Tinker likes handiness for example.
    • Added Sentiments for their backstories. Maybe they should add more backstories so they are a bit more interesting.
    • Correct relationships. Johny Zest should be related to the Landgraabs for example and he should probably not be on good terms with them.

• Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Isn't there some connection with the goths and crumplebottoms? Maybe they will add that too.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,463 Member

Are you okay with white-washing characters and completely throwing Sims lore away?

You can see that they have green eyes, with blonde and red hair, so their skin would be on the lighter side of brown, even when tanned, because they are white, not brown. There's also the fact that TS2 had 3 skintones compared to the 100 skintones in TS4, so an exact match isn't really possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    crocobaura wrote: »

You can see that they have green eyes, with blonde and red hair, so their skin would be on the lighter side of brown, even when tanned, because they are white, not brown. There's also the fact that TS2 had 3 skintones compared to the 100 skintones in TS4, so an exact match isn't really possible.

The mother of Nina & Dina is Middle Eastern (Ni-ghat Al-Mahmoud) and their father is Hispanic (Flamenco Caliente), so I would consider them being brown. Just like their skin tone is brown in Sims 2 and Sims 3. The Caliente Sisters aren‘t white like they are in Sims 4.
    It’s even part of their lore that they have Mediterranean roots.
    134-ADA89-08-F9-4-C55-A814-976622-DF9013.jpg
    3-A22-B7-E3-F50-D-4-AAD-87-C6-CABD5591-E720.webp
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options

The mother of Nina & Dina is Middle Eastern (Ni-ghat Al-Mahmoud) and their father is Hispanic (Flamenco Caliente), so I would consider them being brown. Just like their skin tone is brown in Sims 2 and Sims 3. The Caliente Sisters aren‘t white like they are in Sims 4.
    It’s even part of their lore that they have Mediterranean roots.
    134-ADA89-08-F9-4-C55-A814-976622-DF9013.jpg
    3-A22-B7-E3-F50-D-4-AAD-87-C6-CABD5591-E720.webp

Yes, Mediterreanean roots means they have olive skin, not brown. It only gets brown when tanning in the sunshine. :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    logion wrote: »
    I don't think they will redo the characters that much, I think the sims4 will still be an alternate universe.

• Added Sentiments for their backstories. Maybe they should add more backstories so they are a bit more interesting.
    • Correct relationships. Johny Zest should be related to the Landgraabs for example and he should probably not be on good terms with them.

I disagree about having added sentiments to sims backstories. That’s like the Memory system in “The Sims 2”, which I hated because it made me feel like I have no control over my sims and their lives. But I agree about having the relationships be correct when it comes to how the premade sims love, like or dislike each other. But I like how “The Sims 4” lets me play the way I want, without the annoying Memories system.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Id rather they implement systems that allow us to craft our own lore, like sim biographies, the story album from TS2 and the memories feature.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    EliteGirl wrote: »

I disagree about having added sentiments to sims backstories. That’s like the Memory system in “The Sims 2”, which I hated because it made me feel like I have no control over my sims and their lives. But I agree about having the relationships be correct when it comes to how the premade sims love, like or dislike each other. But I like how “The Sims 4” lets me play the way I want, without the annoying Memories system.

I see, I don't know how memories worked in the sims 2, but I think sentiments go away over time in the sims 4 for both played and unplayed sims.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I see, I don't know how memories worked in the sims 2, but I think sentiments go away over time in the sims 4 for both played and unplayed sims.

Memories are events that happen in a sim’s life, good or bad. The Memories system is a system where you can see all the events that happened in that sim’s life when you play him or her. The memories system applies to all sims. I founded it annoying because I wanted to play “The Sims 2” game without all the events that my sims experience being listed in the game whenever I play with my sims. I prefer that they just have experiences WITHOUT the Memories system. In my opinion, NO memories system one thing is “The Sims 4” did right.
  • Options

Memories are events that happen in a sim’s life, good or bad. The Memories system is a system where you can see all the events that happened in that sim’s life when you play him or her. The memories system applies to all sims. I founded it annoying because I wanted to play “The Sims 2” game without all the events that my sims experience being listed in the game whenever I play with my sims.

TS2 memories recorded everything that happenend. Maybe for TS4 they could record just milestones like got married, got divorced, had baby, first kiss, first date with partner, death of relatives and friends, graduation, first job, etc. They could also make them like sentiments, and make some of them fade over time and in old age.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

I loved Sims 2 memories. They were milestones in a sims life. Sometimes sims would remember their most fresh memories (a death, a fight etc) and react appropriately (cry, feel anger). Also personality affected a sims memories. A knowledge sim had a good memory from being abducted by aliens, while other sims had a negative (fearful) memory. Romance sims would have a negative memory from getting married, while family sims would have a good one. It was a way to show more personality to your sims. Memories did not permanently affect your gameplay. Its more of a way to look back of a history of your sim. Premades also had memories, which was another way of seeing their history/lore

c8zn6ku0ppi51.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=33125ed8d5e493f8716aa3a7caa36f6d98dedf0e

There memories of meeting people, becoming best friends, quitting a job, learning a skill, getting in a fight, going to college, growing up, fires, whoohoo and etc
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,646 Member
    I mean I get it but it's been 7 years possibly 8 come September and I haven't seen this issue brought up until now, so my question why now after 7-8 years have past. I'm not saying this in a mean way I'm just curious and want to understand.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,059 Member
    edited August 2021

Memories are events that happen in a sim’s life, good or bad. The Memories system is a system where you can see all the events that happened in that sim’s life when you play him or her. The memories system applies to all sims. I founded it annoying because I wanted to play “The Sims 2” game without all the events that my sims experience being listed in the game whenever I play with my sims.

TS2 memories recorded everything that happenend. Maybe for TS4 they could record just milestones like got married, got divorced, had baby, first kiss, first date with partner, death of relatives and friends, graduation, first job, etc. They could also make them like sentiments, and make some of them fade over time and in old age.

just make it like ts2 memories = records certain events by default with cute icons

skip the cockroach though :sweat_smile:

and let players delete memories they don't want to keep and also let us add custom memories of our own

and add back the assign emotion thing it was nice until they for some reason removed it

and add option to assign screenshot to a particular memory if player wishes to

+ it would be nice if you could set sentiments as memory so they wouldn't fade over time like they normally do
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I loved Sims 2 memories. They were milestones in a sims life. Sometimes sims would remember their most fresh memories (a death, a fight etc) and react appropriately (cry, feel anger). Also personality affected a sims memories. A knowledge sim had a good memory from being abducted by aliens, while other sims had a negative (fearful) memory. Romance sims would have a negative memory from getting married, while family sims would have a good one. It was a way to show more personality to your sims. Memories did not permanently affect your gameplay. Its more of a way to look back of a history of your sim. Premades also had memories, which was another way of seeing their history/lore

c8zn6ku0ppi51.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=33125ed8d5e493f8716aa3a7caa36f6d98dedf0e

There memories of meeting people, becoming best friends, quitting a job, learning a skill, getting in a fight, going to college, growing up, fires, whoohoo and etc

That's pretty cool. I wish I had played the sims2. Thanks for sharing how it worked.

I remember the memories system in the sims3, I thought it was okay, it was a bit repetetive and happened too often... I did not know either that it could increase your save file size a lot and give you very long loading times, to the point that the save becomes almost unplayable. I remember cleaning a sims3 save with S3PE in one of my old saves and the game had thousands of lines of saved moments.